Work Status Update

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Work Status Update

Post by Longhorned »

I admire a colleague who, either intentionally or unintentionally, has never learned how to operate Zoom. Yesterday, our ears were assaulted with extraordinarily loud scratching sounds every time he turned on his mic to try to speak. He's always such an enormous distraction that he's been excluded from most Zoom meetings. His annual review goes really well because he can just get shit done.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:20 am I admire a colleague who, either intentionally or unintentionally, has never learned how to operate Zoom. Yesterday, our ears were assaulted with extraordinarily loud scratching sounds every time he turned on his mic to try to speak. He's always such an enormous distraction that he's been excluded from most Zoom meetings. His annual review goes really well because he can just get shit done.
:lol:

I’ve definitely pulled the “I can’t hear anyone!” move or not responding when people talk to me so it looks like my mic isn’t working to get out of meetings or uncomfortable conversations.

Hey, it’s not my fault. Modern technology, am I right?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love not wearing pants while working
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i love not wearing pants
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:02 pm i love not wearing pants
About that. The people at Dillard's have a request for you.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:02 pm i love not wearing pants
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My wife told our 9-year-old that she had a big meeting with her company’s senior leadership and he responded…

“Ooh, you better break out the good sweatpants.”

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I haven't worn pants, meaning long pants, since March 2020 when they sent us to work from home. 100% cargo shorts since then.

I was waiting outside of Lowe's the other day for curbside pickup, and realized about almost all of the old white dudes like me were wearing cargo shorts.

However, I still refuse to wear sweats.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:45 pm I haven't worn pants, meaning long pants, since March 2020 when they sent us to work from home. 100% cargo shorts since then.
Come on.... no jorts?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:46 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:45 pm I haven't worn pants, meaning long pants, since March 2020 when they sent us to work from home. 100% cargo shorts since then.
Come on.... no jorts?

Not enough pockets! I need 4 in the front for: 1: wallet; 2: cell phone; 3: keys; 4: reading glasses. Every time I leave the house I tap the 4 pockets to make sure I have everything.

As one who sat all day at work, a wallet in your back pocket is bad for your back.
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:49 pm

As one who sat all day at work, a wallet in your back pocket is bad for your back.
Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Haven't had a wallet in my back pocket in about 5 years. Game changer. I've also only worn drawstring shorts for all but about 10 days in the last 18 months.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Zoomed all of twice, both times for a condo HOA board meeting. Yeah. Riveting. Must make life worth living otherwise.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Costanza has been on a roll lately!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The phone case wallet has been a game changer for me
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:51 pm The phone case wallet has been a game changer for me
Or as one of my brothers calls it: the man purse

Actually had one for years, but a year ago split them apart and happier for it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m liking being someone’s client as opposed to being on the sales side like I was before.

Just got dropped 4 Bulls tickets for tomorrow night. My kids are going to have a blast.

Thanks vendor I probably still won’t buy from!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Make sure you wear your Pistons or Knicks cap.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Playing the Pelicans. Gonna be tough to find one of their hats.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I can't believe you can't find one of these in Indiana.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

lmao
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thank you Greg. I stand corrected.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My company gave us two weeks off for the holidays. So no work for me until after the new year!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Yesterday was my last day until the 4th with vacation days I can't carryover and holiday shutdown.

It doesn't suck.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My work was crazy busy up until Thanksgiving. The last few weeks I've been punching in and then doing things around the house before punching out 8 hours later... with the occasional zoom call or email getting in the way.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:50 am My company gave us two weeks off for the holidays. So no work for me until after the new year!
Oh shit. That means you will be spending more time on these boards? Just want to prepare...

;) :lol: :P
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm taking off from next Wed to the end of the year but since I manage a large team offshore that won't be taking off that means jack shit.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My work is as busy as ever. Started 2 new projects this week. We barely slow down at all. Still have about 5 hours of meetings today. I get the week after Xmas off but I'll have to be available for some things.

I'm jealous.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:40 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:50 am My company gave us two weeks off for the holidays. So no work for me until after the new year!
Oh shit. That means you will be spending more time on these boards? Just want to prepare...

Just wait til I’m day drunk.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I submitted grades on Wednesday. I'll be free when the emails from students stop. They're in that post-semester phase after I posted their predictably disappointing grade and they're starting to get serious about the course now that it's all over done with. You know, proposing ridiculous alternatives requiring my attention over the holidays as they try to earn a different grade.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ahh, I was one of those little assholes.

Good times…
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:24 am Ahh, I was one of those little assholes.

Good times…
Well then let me ask you this: Did they ever say yes? I put it in writing at the start of the semester that the answer will be no. And that even though I wrote the syllabus, the syllabus is my boss, and it says no. So I'm wondering if they're trying because they have other professors who agree.

There's a set of students every semester who avoid me and the class like the plague, and then start getting really active and communicative once their grade is posted.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:15 am I submitted grades on Wednesday. I'll be free when the emails from students stop. They're in that post-semester phase after I posted their predictably disappointing grade and they're starting to get serious about the course now that it's all over done with. You know, proposing ridiculous alternatives requiring my attention over the holidays as they try to earn a different grade.
Don't take no shit from those punks LH. My father fondly recalls flunking every senior student in one of his classes. They hung him in effigy. I'm rooting for you.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Who reads the syllabus?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I guess I just don't understand why students even want good grades. As long as you're passing with a high enough average to stay out of academic probation, why does it really matter? How many people's lives hinge on the grades they got in their college courses? If you put less into your courses, I assume (and hope) you're putting more into pool parties, getting laid, getting high, and maybe even trying peyote in the desert. That's your reward right there, and it's a damn good reward.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:24 am Ahh, I was one of those little assholes.

Good times…
Was?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:39 am I guess I just don't understand why students even want good grades. As long as you're passing with a high enough average to stay out of academic probation, why does it really matter? How many people's lives hinge on the grades they got in their college courses? If you put less into your courses, I assume (and hope) you're putting more into pool parties, getting laid, getting high, and maybe even trying peyote in the desert. That's your reward right there, and it's a damn good reward.
I think this is generally true unless you are trying to get into grad/law/med school.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:39 am I guess I just don't understand why students even want good grades.
Outside of my first job out of college (PG&E), not once has anyone asked about my GPA since.

Most if not all of the applications at the UA career center asked for GPA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My undergrad grades kept me out of law school. One of my biggest regrets.

A few profs were lenient and would let you turn stuff in if the difference was between failing and passing. Never did I try just to get my grade up… hence why I’m not a lawyer.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:06 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:40 am

Just wait til I’m day drunk.
My friends and I have a saying "if you are not drinking in the morning or afternoon...you are just not trying."
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:39 am I guess I just don't understand why students even want good grades. As long as you're passing with a high enough average to stay out of academic probation, why does it really matter? How many people's lives hinge on the grades they got in their college courses? If you put less into your courses, I assume (and hope) you're putting more into pool parties, getting laid, getting high, and maybe even trying peyote in the desert. That's your reward right there, and it's a damn good reward.
My kids get the U of A QTR. I’m encouraging them by paying for their grad/med school and let them walk away debt free.

They’re getting way better grades than me.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Yeah, as my daughter is applying to colleges and receiving acceptance emails with the additional “you have also been awarded academic scholarship for $20,000 a year or $80,000 total” message I’m sure fucking glad she got good grades in HS.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My daughter got an academic scholarship and she made sure we never forgot about it. It did help a lot though
97cats

Post by 97cats »

its been a good year - im very grateful
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, good grades in high school is important for getting to college and paying for it. But why care about grades once you're there? Either you'll get good grades in college, or you have reason to prioritize other things in college. If you're the latter, why bother stressing out about it and trying to stress out your professors? We don't care about your grade, and neither should you.

We follow the transparent rubrics when we grade your work. You can do the things the rubric rewards if you want a high grade. We'll help you to do that if you let us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When I was at the UA (81-84), jobs were a little hard to come by. Some companies required a 3.5 GPA just to interview.

So I padded my schedule with Sociology classes, which were usually a very easy A.

Always knew when I was in a class with Greeks and athletes it was a skate class.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I was on full scholarship so I didn’t give two shits about my grades. I just didn’t feel like I owed it to anyone to work hard.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:15 pm When I was at the UA (81-84), jobs were a little hard to come by. Some companies required a 3.5 GPA just to interview.

So I padded my schedule with Sociology classes, which were usually a very easy A.

Always knew when I was in a class with Greeks and athletes it was a skate class.

Were you in that same sociology or might have been anthropology class with me where the final was True/False and they used the same test from the year/semester before?