Work Status Update

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Work Status Update

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:05 pm
Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:15 pm When I was at the UA (81-84), jobs were a little hard to come by. Some companies required a 3.5 GPA just to interview.

So I padded my schedule with Sociology classes, which were usually a very easy A.

Always knew when I was in a class with Greeks and athletes it was a skate class.

Were you in that same sociology or might have been anthropology class with me where the final was True/False and they used the same test from the year/semester before?
Pretty sure they did. The Greeks and the Athletic Department used to keep copies of all the tests for use later.

Just a side note, my very last sociology class I received a C in, which dropped my GPA to below 3.5. I could not believe it, thought I had an A for sure. That would have put me on the Cum Laude list, which looks great on your resume out of college but means squat now.

But I was going to school full time, working at night, engaged, and trying to find a job post college. So just didn't have the time to put into the class.

So found a job with PG&E in San Francisco making $2015 a month in 1981. My rent was $728 for a flat in the Sunset, so half my take home went for rent.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:31 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:24 am Ahh, I was one of those little assholes.

Good times…
Well then let me ask you this: Did they ever say yes? I put it in writing at the start of the semester that the answer will be no. And that even though I wrote the syllabus, the syllabus is my boss, and it says no. So I'm wondering if they're trying because they have other professors who agree.

There's a set of students every semester who avoid me and the class like the plague, and then start getting really active and communicative once their grade is posted.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Reading is for commies.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can you imagine if a professor did that in the recent past, and a student-athlete found the 50 buck prize? The NCAA would have shut down their athletic department and Schlabach would have sources saying Sean Miller was behind it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In a meeting with a company that fired me.

The woman who made the decision to get rid of me is presenting. I’m on my phone, obviously not paying attention, writing this post.

Guess they aren’t getting my business.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Karma is a bitch!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m happy to report that their presentation was stupid and because I may have tipped off our managing director this morning, they got called out that some of their bullshit “hard & fast rules” that only serve to line their pockets while they present them as “protecting the customer” actually get waived all the time so we won’t be following them anymore either if they want our business.

I’m having a good day now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well done, Chi.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

F*ck ASU...and the company that fired Chi.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My job has kind of sucked for the last couple weeks... The GM is suddenly getting into everyone's business and making people's lives a little miserable. Our dept. had a lot of freedom... now we are feeling the corporate overlords watching our every move. My boss just quit which really sucks. Hoping it turns around.

But the good news... I work from home.... and intend to watch every single NCAA game while I "work"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sorry to hear, A! Why do people have to be assholes?

I'll miss Friday 2 pm - 4:27 pm.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:11 pm Sorry to hear, A! Why do people have to be assholes?

Isn't our game starting around 430?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:34 am
Longhorned wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:11 pm Sorry to hear, A! Why do people have to be assholes?

Isn't our game starting around 430?
4:27!

But I'd rather not miss anything on Thursday and Friday. All these people at work were agreeing to meetings on those days but I indicated my unavailability. They're all so unaware, they don't even know why a person wouldn't be available on those days.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, immma need you to come in saturday.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My work environment has drastically changed in the last 2 months... and not in a good way
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This afternoon I'm teaching my final class meeting in a department I can't stand. As I walk away from that part of campus for the last time, my heart will sing. Nothing but the department I love from this point forward. I'm going to celebrate with a Slice 'N Ice. I hope they have cherry today.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm on my way to my first in-person conference since the pandemic. The conference dress code is "business casual." When I googled that, I saw something about "no jeans."

Does that mean no jeans as in "no jeans"? Or does that mean no jeans? In which case, can I give my presentation in what I'll now call "denim slacks"?

I promise not to wear jorts.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The important question is: Does the dress code differentiate between denim leggings or denim stretch pants?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:21 am The important question is: Does the dress code differentiate between denim leggings or denim stretch pants?
No. Does that mean I get to wear overalls?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:25 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:21 am The important question is: Does the dress code differentiate between denim leggings or denim stretch pants?
No. Does that mean I get to wear overalls?
If you do then technically you needn't wear a shirt.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, good. I just want to make sure I'm in line with code.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There are now slacks made to look like jeans and joggers made to look like slacks. It’s a brave new world of mens fashion.

Fuck dress codes. The more important (or rich) you want to appear, the less you’ll abide by anyone’s rules about your appearance.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Show up with jeans, vest, and a bolo tie and just say "this is business formal where yous from"
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have to actually go into the office for the like 3rd time in 25 months on May 9th. Our executive said people wear kinda whatever they want now so I'm wearing jeans and a Tshirt for sure. Screw dress codes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When I was a working man, I wore cargo shorts every day I could. Didn't help my career, but man was I comfortable.

April 30th will be my 2 year anniversary of me being retired. Have not worn long pants since.

Cargo shorts are the required wear for retired old white dudes.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Pussies! I wore caulk boots, tin pants and raingear. Get your testicles tanned!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I rarely wear pants.

But on Thursday the company who fired me many moons ago is coming into our Chicago office to bring us lunch. I’m thinking of wearing a “Who Farted?” shirt.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

lol, Chi!!

ive been back in my office since end of Feb of last year - thank god for me my office is my sanctuary :lol:

not having it during COVID was the hardest part for me.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I used to be on the road every week. Leave on Monday come back on Thursday.

Been WFH since Covid and now I wanna kill someone...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I will do anything in my power to never work in a corporate office again. It's so soul-suckingly awful.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My office overlooks Old Main and I love everything about where I work.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

jeans and sneakers everyday now to the office - i love it
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I know that brewing beer was an acceptable excuse from Old-New Kingdom Egypt. Workers were given a standard allowance of beer brewing days per year. It was a staple you couldn't buy, and nobody else was going to brew it for you.

You really could (and still can) live on beer and bread alone, as long as it's a real naturally fermented bread like they ate in ancient Egypt.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Paulaner monks in Bavaria lived on just beer during Lent.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

After nearly 2 years, finally found a decent job in my field (non profit programs/management). Tired of moochin' off the wife and burning through savings.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

My boss of about 16 years retired. A great guy who I love. The interim guy who took his place, and wants the job permanently is just over his head and not a good fit.

Serving as an enlisted guy in the marines for 20 years may set you up to be a good employee, but not a good supervisor. This job requires thoughtful competent response, not mindlessly blundering ahead and making mistakes while not listening to experienced resources

Fuck I hope they don't give this dildo the job.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Just got a big promotion at work. Got a destination job at my company, worked very hard for it. I'm so damn proud of myself. From where I was in 2014 until today... just can't believe it. For anyone who doesn't like their job or where they work, take a chance on yourself. There are better opportunities out there.
Last edited by Lando05 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No promotion, but I did take a new title and responsibilities with no increase in salary!

Right now I'm in the midst of theorizing an "artifactual underpinning" to ancient Greek primary sources and how to discern them, providing evidence that Buddhism made it to Greece during the Classical period, and a big foundation for later intellectual history.
Osborn

Post by Osborn »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:16 pm No promotion, but I did take a new title and responsibilities with no increase in salary!

Right now I'm in the midst of theorizing an "artifactual underpinning" to ancient Greek primary sources and how to discern them, providing evidence that Buddhism made it to Greece during the Classical period, and a big foundation for later intellectual history.
That seems like it would be a huge feather in the cap, yeah?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Osborn wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:04 pm
Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:16 pm No promotion, but I did take a new title and responsibilities with no increase in salary!

Yes! The feather in the cap. The international currency! It will get you into any club in London.
Osborn

Post by Osborn »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:18 pm

Yes! The feather in the cap. The international currency! It will get you into any club in London.
It would be awesome if there was an actual cap with a feather. Then we'd know who's the shit. Plus some pantaloons.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

How about a reserved parking space?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:43 pm

Tommy and Jedd have them. I fuck with Jedd's car every day. His reserved space is literally the closest space to Arizona Stadium in Cherry Ave. Garage, so it's at the very end of a row of spaces. On his Lexus, his driver's side rear-view window is scraped, so somebody must have swiped it on a tight turn. Every morning, he manually folds the mirror inwards as far as it can go to avoid recurrence. And several times a month, I extend his mirror outward again. When he returns from his office at the end of the day, he most assuredly shouts, "Goddamit!" I'll stop it at the conclusion of our first winning season.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:09 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:43 pm

Tommy and Jedd have them. I fuck with Jedd's car every day. His reserved space is literally the closest space to Arizona Stadium in Cherry Ave. Garage, so it's at the very end of a row of spaces. On his Lexus, his driver's side rear-view window is scraped, so somebody must have swiped it on a tight turn. Every morning, he manually folds the mirror inwards as far as it can go to avoid recurrence. And several times a month, I extend his mirror outward again. When he returns from his office at the end of the day, he most assuredly shouts, "Goddamit!" I'll stop it at the conclusion of our first winning season.
It's comforting to hear of your sophistication and erudition transcending the theoretical and opting for the practical. Artifactual trolling of Jedd's car is probably way more fun than the other thing.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It sounds like something Saul Goodman would do…
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Company just announced mandatory overtime (45 hrs min / 60 hrs max) until further notice.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:18 am Company just announced mandatory overtime (45 hrs min / 60 hrs max) until further notice.
The space business must be good
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:20 am
azgreg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:18 am Company just announced mandatory overtime (45 hrs min / 60 hrs max) until further notice.
The space business must be good
We've got approx. $2 mil in sales late as fuck right now.