College Days

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

College Days

Post by Longhorned »

Me and some friends in my dorm room, Arizona/Sonora (Arizona tower) room 624, spring semester 1988.
Chicat

Re: College Days

Post by Chicat »

Emmanuel Lewis does not appear anywhere in that picture. Although he is small, so maybe I just missed him...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Emmanuel Lewis does not appear anywhere in that picture. Although he is small, so maybe I just missed him...
I'm making the "cheeseburger" gesture, so you can see my hands and one eye, which was my usual gesture when things reached that point at 2 AM.

Anyway, I'd love to see any old Arizona pics anybody has from the college days. Unfortunately, I only have three. Before digital cameras, this stuff got lost with all my moves. Schnebly sent me this one recently.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:Image

Me and some friends in my dorm room, Arizona/Sonora (Arizona tower) room 624, spring semester 1988.
Nice to see that the room was kept unimproved through my 1994-95 stay...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You lived in 624????
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:You lived in 624????
Actually no...but the room looked exactly the same. I think I was on the 4th floor? Maybe 3rd? The malted barley and bong resin are affecting that memory....
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Summer of '93... right after freshman year. Road trip from Tucson to Vegas to see the Dead.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Summer of '93... right after freshman year. Road trip from Tucson to Vegas to see the Dead.

People like Chicat make fun of me for this, but back in those days, a road trip to see the Dead was a necessary part of college, and a source of fond feelings if foggy memories. In spring of '92, we made a road trip to see the Dead in Oakland.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm pretty sure I had a lot of fun on that trip.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have a picture somewhere of my best friend and I (to this day ) in Yuma hall the first night I ever got drunk in 2004. He puked about 5.3 seconds after the picture was taken.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is probably my favorite photo from college. This is my wife on drugs.

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alieberman wrote:Summer of '93... right after freshman year. Road trip from Tucson to Vegas to see the Dead.

Of course Bill Walton would be proud!!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

I can smell that picture from here ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Reydituto wrote:

B.O.?

Weed?

Both?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Early '90s.

My photos from the U are far too upstanding and unrecognizable to be shown here. Check the yearbooks and look for the thin guy with the cleft palate looking angry.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Gotta mention one of my favorite college memories, from May of 1997...underaged and drunk on Bourbon Street and I stumble out of Pat O'briens...and I see Jessie Evans and his wife. (He was our assistant coach at the time in case you didn't know).

I run up to him, and point at him and say "You're Jessie Evans"

He looks shocked... "Uh...yeah...."

I hug him and say "Bear Down" into his ear before running off...

Thinking back, I believe he was interviewing for a job that he took soon thereafter.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Saw the Dead on that tour in Eugene at Autzen. I was in law school up the road by then. The only time I ever saw them. My oldest daughter was 6 months old on my back in one of those baby backpacks, and she ends up graduating from Oregon 21 years later.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Gotta mention one of my favorite college memories, from May of 1997...underaged and drunk on Bourbon Street and I stumble out of Pat O'briens...and I see Jessie Evans and his wife. (He was our assistant coach at the time in case you didn't know).

Thinking back, I believe he was interviewing for a job that he took soon thereafter.
You were probably that guy who turned over one of the 4th Ave. newsstands the night we won it all. ;)

Worked with Jessie's daughter Jayda on a couple of assignments. No nicer writer I've ever met.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Olsondogg wrote:
Reydituto wrote:

B.O.?

Weed?

Both?
Dank weed smoke, unwashed musky BO, feet, barnyard, hemp rope, hints of sandalwood and patchouli, cheese sandos and the faint whiff of desperation ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Doesn't anybody have any college pics? Are they in a box somewhere waiting to be digitized?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Doesn't anybody have any college pics? Are they in a box somewhere waiting to be digitized?
I went looking and can't find squat. Of course I went to college for the education so.................
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

My crappy band during grad school. I'm the bass player.

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAdevil wrote:My crappy band during grad school. I'm the bass player.

That's awesome. Where were you playing in that?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:Doesn't anybody have any college pics? Are they in a box somewhere waiting to be digitized?
Somewhere maybe in a box of meager keepsakes with my name on it in the garage. I'd be surprised . . .
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Longhorned wrote:
That's awesome. Where were you playing in that?
This was like our 2nd or 3rd gig ever and the 1st time playing this particular songs. This is one of the few songs I wrote in the band, the guitarist/vocalist was the primary songwriter.

We were playing in a now defunct venue on Grand Ave. in Phoenix called the Paper Heart Art Gallery. I'm stage right (left) on bass. I'm now more of a keyboard player in my current band.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Gotta mention one of my favorite college memories, from May of 1997...underaged and drunk on Bourbon Street and I stumble out of Pat O'briens...and I see Jessie Evans and his wife. (He was our assistant coach at the time in case you didn't know).

You were probably that guy who turned over one of the 4th Ave. newsstands the night we won it all. ;)

Worked with Jessie's daughter Jayda on a couple of assignments. No nicer writer I've ever met.
No, I was there though...had a buddy who was a bartender at "Geronimo's" (remember that place?) and got us underager's free drinks during the game. With about 15 seconds left in OT we ran from there, the corner of Euclid and Uni, all the way to 4th avenue....as people from all directions started pouring into the streets.

I do remember the turned over car, my buddy picking up a flare and burning his hand...a dude in our Apartment with a gas mask on...a bowling ball rolling towards the riot police....and then no school the next day.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I was on a youth basketball team with Jesse's son
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Are we sharing college stories about meeting assistant basketball coaches in random places? When I was at UCLA a bunch of us scraped together enough cash to rent a house on the beach for a week. One night we were all on the porch drinking when a guy skates by us on the boardwalk right in front of the house, sees us all wearing UCLA sweatshirts, and screeches to a stop. Turns out it was Kerry Keating, and he stayed to hang out with us and talk basketball for at least an hour. This was in the middle of the run of Final Fours, and getting to talk to somebody with such deep knowledge of the players, the system, and basketball in general was pretty great.

"Cool story, bro"
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bruins01 wrote:Are we sharing college stories about meeting assistant basketball coaches in random places? When I was at UCLA a bunch of us scraped together enough cash to rent a house on the beach for a week. One night we were all on the porch drinking when a guy skates by us on the boardwalk right in front of the house, sees us all wearing UCLA sweatshirts, and screeches to a stop. Turns out it was Kerry Keating, and he stayed to hang out with us and talk basketball for at least an hour. This was in the middle of the run of Final Fours, and getting to talk to somebody with such deep knowledge of the players, the system, and basketball in general was pretty great.

"Cool story, bro"
That's pretty great in every way, except for the part about an empty-handed coach on skates mooching beers from college students. Seriously, though, he sounds like a great guy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:had a buddy who was a bartender at "Geronimo's" (remember that place?)
Me too. Jefe. Made a mean free Study Break.

All of my college pics are outdoors. Coming from the Northeast I spent as much time in the desert as possible. I think this was Gates Pass.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I kept meaning to go to Geronimos on study nights but could never get past Two Pesos.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Katzenfreund wrote:My gf waited tables at Geronimoz for a while. One day, two guys skipped out on a bill after handing her a stolen credit card. I think it was 30 bucks and she lost her tips for that day, paying for it. She quit a few days later.
Stealing from your drinks server is like stealing from your mother.
mytwocents

Post by mytwocents »

justintracy.jpg
justintracy.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
:D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hahaha, holy shit. I haven't seen that picture in 15+ years.

Damn I miss college. And sake bombs at Sakura.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So what dorm did everyone live in? Sd86 and I rocked Yuma hall room 108

Manzi mo
coconino
gila
Yuma
Maricopa(well was/is a girls only)
Babcock
hopi
la paz
apache Santa Cruz
Graham greenlee
yavapai
cochise
kaibab huachuca
Az so
Coronado
stadium(Navajo/pinal)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Coronado, 3rd floor, 343 I am thinking for some reason but that number could be wrong.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ASUHATER! wrote: stadium(Navajo/pinal)
You forgot Sierra, formerly East Stadium (now closed.)

Freshman year, Sierra.

Sophomore - Senior years: Mohave 4-West Room 417

Manzi-Mo was the only coed dorm, and really, only the lobby and the roof were coed. Manzanita - girls, Mohave - guys.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kaibab Huachuca

Man it was totally a dump but...

It was coed with 1 wing men's, 1 wing women's and a central corridor that was mixed. I lived in the central corridor and it led to several interesting evenings!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

For three years, I lived in the dorm the Adams Atoms threw the nerds out of.

Final year I moved up the street to the honors dorm you see just to the right of Herring Hall on evening games.

If you went to the U, you know that the first one used to be all-male and the second has a waiting list.

You didn't have to walk far for anything, but privacy was more or less nonexistent.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I lived in Haystack apartments on east Speedway.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Freshman year I lived in La Paz the first year it was open. I had a balcony with a view of the stadium looking down at a courtyard with newly planted palm trees that are now probably huge. Since I lived on a co-ed floor we had 4 toilet stalls for 6 guys. By far the best place to take a dump on campus.

Moved off campus the next year and never came back.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: stadium(Navajo/pinal)
You forgot Sierra, formerly East Stadium (now closed.)

Freshman year, Sierra.

Sophomore - Senior years: Mohave 4-West Room 417

Manzi-Mo was the only coed dorm, and really, only the lobby and the roof were coed. Manzanita - girls, Mohave - guys.
Crazy. Even when I was a freshman in 2004 there were only 3 dorms that weren't coed. Coconino and Maricopa were girls and cochise was guys only. Maricopa is the only non coed dorm at the UA now.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

catgrad97 wrote:For three years, I lived in the dorm the Adams Atoms threw the nerds out of.

Final year I moved up the street to the honors dorm you see just to the right of Herring Hall on evening games.

If you went to the U, you know that the first one used to be all-male and the second has a waiting list.

You didn't have to walk far for anything, but privacy was more or less nonexistent.
Cochise and yavapai

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And it's strange that people lived in dorms for up to 3-4 years. Even 10 years ago it was almost unheard of for anyone to stay in a dorm past freshman year. Only weirdos didn't live off campus after being a freshman.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Things have totally flipped from when I was at UofA. It was much more expensive to live in an apartment than in a dorm.
My dorm most years was around $600 - $800 a year.

From what I see now, the dorms are much more expensive. Between $7000 - $9000, and that's only for 9 months.
(like $800 - $1000 a month, and that doesn't include a meal plan).

I think you can get a room in a house or share an apartment for probably half that. If either of my kids end up at UofA that's probably the route we will take.

Are people taking huge loans out, or are they all rich kids?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:Things have totally flipped from when I was at UofA. It was much more expensive to live in an apartment than in a dorm.
My dorm most years was around $600 - $800 a year.

From what I see now, the dorms are much more expensive. Between $7000 - $9000, and that's only for 9 months.
(like $800 - $1000 a month, and that doesn't include a meal plan).

I think you can get a room in a house or share an apartment for probably half that. If either of my kids end up at UofA that's probably the route we will take.

Are people taking huge loans out, or are they all rich kids?
I have a ton of loans. And yeah living off campus is way cheaper now. Like you said it's about $900 a month for a dorm and you can find a good house or apartment off campus for like $700.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Which dorm was known as "7 floors of whores" again?