Pointguardu

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Pointguardu

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: So was Ace not AAA? The one with the avatar of an Ace with a marijuana leaf?
Nope, that younger AAA was the "Don't tell me to sit down" guy who got in trouble at McKale.

Also he left TOS to become an Ace sycophant at PGU, think he wrote some articles or whatever, so that may be where the confusion came from.

No doubt they smoked many bowls together.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks, you guys. Sorry. But come on. The Ace avatar. The drugs. The sociopathy. That was hard not to confuse.

So did the "real Ace" in fact go to the University of Arizona?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He was arrested in Tucson (and LV) for selling weed so he was at least in the area.

AAA was quite the poster.

GOAZCATS.com - GOAZCATS.com celebrates second anniversary
https://arizona.rivals.com/news/goazcat ... nniversary" target="_blank
Nov 4, 2004 - Ben Hansen and Josh Gershon | GOAZCATS.com Staff .... First-team All-Basketball. Iningo Montoya. DavidImmel. Auercat. aaa. Azgirl.
Wilburcat

Post by Wilburcat »

Longhorned wrote:So was Ace not AAA? The one with the avatar of an Ace with a marijuana leaf?
Correct, aaa wasn't Ace. aaa was Avinash, the guy who got kicked out of McKale as others mentioned and is the younger brother of PGU "Second in command" Pras.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

More coming soon.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

salim'sheadband wrote:More coming soon.
You need to come back and post here... you are missed
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:With thanks also to Merkin, an old friend corrected me, and he is indeed 42/43.

So was Ace not AAA? The one with the avatar of an Ace with a marijuana leaf?
There was a AAA at Goazcats, too... didn't he do the bracket posts with members as seeded teams.

Freaking TopCat beat me in the Finals back to back years. I was like Butler.

AAA is definitely not Ajay Thakore. And AAA was about the age you recollect. I think he was in high school in 2004-2007 when I remember him being active at GAZC, and he used to post at 4/20 and had several posts about his love of weed, as I recall.
AAA was a young poster named Avinash Murthy. I know that for a fact because we talked a lot and I sent him discs of my videos to re-upload to YouTube when my handle there was deleted. His father is a surgeon. And we were Facebook friends as well. He loved his weed and was of middle eastern decent. He also posted home made videos like I did. He is not Ace. And yes the kid who got kicked out of McKale.lol Does make me wonder when a Murthy is his neighbor in Las Vegas. Maybe he was a relation to the Murthy's. Avinash's father had a lot of money. And look at the first names of some of the Thakore relatives...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dvmmultimedia" target="_blank
Arrest records:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.instan ... ent=safari" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

what the hell is going on...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:what the hell is going on...
I honestly don't care if he's dead or alive, I'm just glad their website and twitter are dark. Hope they stay that way.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

We have seen an unusual uptick in new users this past 4-5 days...I wonder how many are PGU refugees...err...escapees? ;-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAdevil wrote:We have seen an unusual uptick in new users this past 4-5 days...I wonder how many are PGU refugees...err...escapees? ;-)
They aren't fleeing Syria, and they aren't in danger.

We need to decide how we are going to handle a large in flux of idiots and asshats who espouse the Ace manifesto.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

JMarkJohns wrote:
UAdevil wrote:We have seen an unusual uptick in new users this past 4-5 days...I wonder how many are PGU refugees...err...escapees? ;-)

We need to decide how we are going to handle a large in flux of idiots and asshats who espouse the Ace manifesto.
Let's try not to pre-judge. I welcome new people to this community and hope to find some good new voices around here.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Alieberman wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

Let's try not to pre-judge. I welcome new people to this community and hope to find some good new voices around here.
Agreed! If anyone gets out of line we know how to deal with it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

+2
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just put them in timeout with BC97 if they act up.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

All fair points.

Simply stating I've dealt with their douchery for years. I don't even want to show you private messages from a collection of boards threatening me, stalking my posts, making weird comments.

And this needs to be made known because of how they treated Jon, Jason, Josh.

These aren't trolls.

Some of them are simply bad people.

Forgive me going a bit Trump here, but I know the damage many can do in a short amount of time. Yes, we can ban after the fact, but we need to be prepared before hand.

I propose we nominate a few more moderators. I don't have time to deal with 24/7 asshatery, or even the threat of it.

I'm willing to let them in. Many may simply be new to this internet world and PGU was the first place they found.

And I'm not saying to not allow anyone in.

I'm saying we need to be careful.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:All fair points.

Simply stating I've dealt with their douchery for years. I don't even want to show you private messages from a collection of boards threatening me, stalking my posts, making weird comments.

These aren't trolls.

Forgive me going a bit Drumpf here, but I know the damage many can do in a short amount of time. Yes, we can ban after the fact, but we need to be prepared before hand.

I propose we nominate a few more moderators. I don't have time to deal with 24/7 asshatery, or even the threat of it.

I'm willing to let them in. Many may simply be new to this internet world and PGU was the first place they found.

We could bring back the "no turds allowed" motto.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:

These aren't trolls.

Forgive me going a bit Drumpf here, but I know the damage many can do in a short amount of time. Yes, we can ban after the fact, but we need to be prepared before hand.

I know how I sound. I'm not happy about it. But you wouldn't believe the horrible things some of these clowns have said to me, about me, and, worse yet, to valued members of our and other Wildcat communities. Some of them have committed crimes. Some of them maybe even illegal recruiting contacts. Maybe even violations. There's a reason they had their press credentials stripped, and themselves banned from practice.

We have built something and all it takes is a few assholes doing illegal shit on it to bring unwanted attention.

Maybe I'm paranoid and talking crazy.

It's not my site. It's ours.

But I've seen first hand and know the extent these creeps have gone.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

We just need to be vigilant. I approve/deny each new registration personally, and will always check ip addresses. I don't want to exclude any new members regardless of where they've come from, but...new folks will need to be on short leashes if troublesome behavior manifests.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

These aren't trolls.

I know how I sound. I'm not happy about it. But you wouldn't believe the horrible things some of these clowns have said to me, about me, and, worse yet, to valued members of our and other Wildcat communities. Some of them have committed crimes. Some of them maybe even illegal recruiting contacts. Maybe even violations. There's a reason they had their press credentials stripped, and themselves banned from practice.

We have built something and all it takes is a few assholes doing illegal shit on it to bring unwanted attention.

I wasn't commenting on how you sounded, I was being serious.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote:We just need to be vigilant. I approve/deny each new registration personally, and will always check ip addresses. I don't want to exclude any new members regardless of where they've come from, but...new folks will need to be on short leashes if troublesome behavior manifests.
Time to make the donate button more visible.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

These aren't trolls.

Careful JMark. Someone might see you trying to keep this board the best community for UA fans it possibly can be and turn around and call you a dictator.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

These aren't trolls.

I'm all for keeping a watchful eye if there is a sudden influx of new posters... but just not wanting to pre-judge.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

JMarkJohns wrote: And I'm not saying to not allow anyone in.

Extreme vetting perhaps?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I came here from pgu about a month ago...maybe little more...I honestly just wanted a place to talk UA basketball and not feel like I was less than intelligent for not sticking my lips on some curry flavored asshole...everyone here seemed cool but then came the ban "_______" thread and I saw that no matter where you go there are always going to be guys/gals (not so much) that push the limits of a non-consequential arena of personalities...some people are dicks online and some people want you to hold their dick online...avoiding both positions should not be a foul.
So far I like the vibe and think there is healthy pushback allowed while maintaining some sort of useful order...kudos to whomever manages it.
We should all be vetted...heck I would live with a probation period for us new guys, act like an adult get treated like one.

The ability to disagree is part of what makes our country/the internet great...like Bill Weed all Walton says "if everyone thinks the same no one is thinking"...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I appreciate your post. Not easy to make it in a thread like this.

Some of you know I've been the focus of a public attack at Goazcats from Ace. That's nothing. He's an asshole and I don't care about that.

What I do care about is the behind the scenes where something as simple as a google search finds my name, my posting history on various sites, and behind the scenes PMs from his assholes, mostly harmless, but some of the not so vaguely threatening manner. I've talked to both Jason and the admin of a non-UA to have them kept in check.

But even more than that is the direct harassment not just Ace was responsible for. Harassment that saw literal retreats from even posting by values membes, to even civil restraining orders granted by a court of law for unsolicited stalking and threats and open and disgusting slander.

But even more than that is illegalities. One board I frequented got busted for content being distributed via PMs. It was a sports board. Several posters used the PM system to set up and talk shop on illegal shit.

Then there's the indirect affiliation with the program. We remember how the Cactus Classic marred GoAzCats from association.

I am not saying we need to deny all New unknown entrants.

I am not saying to weed out dissenting opinions.

I am saying we need to be smart. We need to have the community's best interest in mind. Because even a few of the actual assholes can do damage. Even if it's not public.

But I've seen and heard the worst of a lot of crap that can happen to a community.

I don't know how to handle it. But the discussion is better preemptive than too late.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's a serious problem with potentially really bad consequences if not addressed. We've seen how it plays out, and I'm really sorry you were on the receiving end, JMark. Thank you for elaborating.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

JMarkJohns wrote:I appreciate your post. Not easy to make it in a thread like this.

Some of you know I've been the focus of a public attack at Goazcats from Ace. That's nothing. He's an asshole and I don't care about that.

What I do care about is the behind the scenes where something as simple as a google search finds my name, my posting history on various sites, and behind the scenes PMs from his assholes, mostly harmless, but some of the not so vaguely threatening manner. I've talked to both Jason and the admin of a non-UA to have them kept in check.

But even more than that is the direct harassment not just Ace was responsible for. Harassment that saw literal retreats from even posting by values membes, to even civil restraining orders granted by a court of law for unsolicited stalking and threats and open and disgusting slander.

But even more than that is illegalities. One board I frequented got busted for content being distributed via PMs. It was a sports board. Several posters used the PM system to set up and talk shop on illegal shit.

Then there's the indirect affiliation with the program. We remember how the Cactus Classic marred GoAzCats from association.

I am not saying we need to deny all New unknown entrants.

I am not saying to weed out dissenting opinions.

I am saying we need to be smart. We need to have the community's best interest in mind. Because even a few of the actual assholes can do damage. Even if it's not public.

But I've seen and heard the worst of a lot of crap that can happen to a community.

I don't know how to handle it. But the discussion is better preemptive than too late.
I too came here from...that place...recently just due to its general creepiness. I had/have no understanding of the plethora of truly bizarre historical events referenced in this thread but I can see how anyone who cares about this community would want to seriously vet anyone who appears in the wake of...that place...going dark. Probation for probies sounds entirely warranted.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I had no idea and was never a member of Goazcats or whatever it is, seems like I missed the boat by a few years...but wow. restaining orders and illegal crap???

Sheesh...I was a moderator on ProSoundWeb about 10-15 years ago...was part of Mixermans forum and in charge of the basement (all non-audio posts, flame wars politics, religion, etc.)...I was in the cesspool of a million member forum and it was kind of fun at times because the basement was a no-holds-barred kind of atmosphere, you TRIED to make the other guys look stupid but even there we had some rules...like no moving the goalposts...eventually it was an all our flame war by Mixerman against the PSW admins...it got messy, lawsuits were threatened and another forum (The Womb) was formed...I had had enough by then...

My point is I have seen pretty much the worst the internet can throw and even had to resort to making backup copies of page captures on non-internet computers just to protect myself...I just have no more appetite for that level of drama...it's just unnecessary and in the grand scheme of things it really is a waste of energy effort and time...nothing good comes from it...so whatever it takes tyo avoid it is ok by me...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

You both are appeasing much of my apprehension.

I would never advocate for a universal ban or even probabtion.

A vine is known by its fruit.

I'm not afraid of a spam attack.

I'm not afraid of threats. They were bullshit and not worth a second thought at the time. Just a hassle. But that's me. Others had a much worse time and had worse shit said to them, to their wives, to their employers, or about them using actual pictures or names. I'm thinking of them.

But I know the troubles "antics" brought upon one site.

I'm not here to indoctrinate toward an anti-Ace or anti-PGU mantra. I just want to do what is best for this community and all it's members.

And yes, that includes honest to goodness asylum seekers, or those whose unfortunate first or most recent Arizona online experience was PGU.

But those zealots will not be coddled. I don't like being the one to dwell on it. Hopefully it's nothing we worry about. Hopefully only I do. I can handle it.

Like is said. It's better create the discussion than have to respond to an event.

I hope many like you two find us. If you know other quality posters looking for news, talk, and community, invite them.

I will do everything I can (and I know everyone else here will as well) to make this the beacon we all esteem it to be.

It's put up or shut up time.

But the light needs to shine through clean windows.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

JMarkJohns

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As far as I'm concerned I thought the late WMU was an Internet terrorist that to this day has had no peer when it comes to destruction. In that sense I guess Ace stepped it up a notch. So if you think someone shouldn't be approved/should be banned/should not not be allowed to post then do whatever you wish. Why is it complicated? It's in your power. Just do it and don't bring it up.

That said, it might be better for the bad guys to show their face first, as there's really no other way to police things.

I also think there are regular posters --here and elsewhere-- that are popular to many (apparently) that are often out to 'get' others and, I say, always have been this way. In other words, their deal from the get-go has been to pimp, gang up and take down. I could name one. (And perhaps two others.)

I think the people you "fear" are probably already on the members list.

There are probably about 10 posters that have particpated on the 5/6/7 Arizona sites, starting with the AOL boards (the early 90's), that I know (think) have had but one moniker from site to site. So how the hell does anyone monitor a board like this?

Just don't let a WMU happen again...........fester. On and on and on.

Read between the lines. Ask for an explanation in a PM. Have some fun with it. (I'd love to hear those ''explanations.")

The business is out there. Passive aggressive posts and outright hostile posts come around quite often. I've seen most everyone write some pointed comments; I've seen most everyone inch across that line, too. For a bunch of reasons.

Many times those "reasons" have nothing to do with what is being said.
killervibe

Post by killervibe »

A required $25 donation (PayPal/Amazon Pay/Venmo) for all new accounts from those making the migration from pointguardu. If they want in bad enough, they pay and you'll have some excess funds to help with site management. If they don't, they'll take their venom to other forums.
Disclaimer: Posts may not be suitable for the overly sensitive, feebleminded, or criminally insane. In the event I offend you, please take a big step back and literally GFY.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

killervibe wrote:A required $25 donation (PayPal/Amazon Pay/Venmo) for all new accounts from those making the migration from pointguardu. If they want in bad enough, they pay and you'll have some excess funds to help with site management. If they don't, they'll take their venom to other forums.
Considering this was one of the slanders MAO said of me when he edited private messages to members at TOS, I'd prefer we not have an entry fee.

I'm not worried about assholes immediately being assholes. We have ban power here. Permaban even.

I'm worried about the long term, subversive effects.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:

As long as they're not from Sweden. That place is out of control.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Whoa! WMU reference. He stalked me for years, but it never went beyond the board. Truly strange man.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So, nothing new on this?
CatFanOneMil wrote:I had no idea and was never a member of Goazcats or whatever it is, seems like I missed the boat by a few years...but wow. restaining orders and illegal crap???
Most of the story has been posted in this topic but here's a good article outlining some of it: http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/medi ... id=5028027" target="_blank

and a discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... owner_ace/" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

More: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... lly_feels/" target="_blank

Some tweets that came out right around the same time the RIP tweet showed up:

These were then deleted ^

and: http://i4atv.us/pointguardu-down/" target="_blank

comments:

G2Martinez February 21, 2017
Does anyone have any decent alternative sites to visit with a decent forum for Cats discussion? Not thinking we are going to find a good source of info but wouldn’t mind finding a site that at least reports decent news as well.

gizmoduck February 21, 2017
I am looking at setting up my own forum with bbPress, but in the meantime, Bear Down Wildcats is the way to go.

ciffs: no one believes he's dead and he just quit
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Jefe wrote: no one believes he's dead and he just quit
I worked with a guy many years ago who behaved almost precisely as Ace does/did: surrounded himself with weak people and constructed a context of their need of him in order to periodically abandon them in furtherance of enhancing more need. He was a pitiable case really, and suffered from abandonment in his childhood. His need to be needed was extraordinary and was only matched by his own self-loathing. It presented as a manic-depressive range of behaviors in which he would torment people and then overpay/reward them in an effort to keep them close and dependent.

Of all the people weighing in on this PGU thing I probably know less about this douchebag than any of you, but I'll make this bet: He'll be back; he's way too needy to stay away. In the very way Trump, after bollixing his first weeks in office, had to "go back on the campaign trail" to feel adored in front of cheering crowds, Ace is desperate for people to be aware of him. Without them he ceases to exist.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Jefe wrote: no one believes he's dead and he just quit
I worked with a guy many years ago who behaved almost precisely as Ace does/did: surrounded himself with weak people and constructed a context of their need of him in order to periodically abandon them in furtherance of enhancing more need. He was a pitiable case really, and suffered from abandonment in his childhood. His need to be needed was extraordinary and was only matched by his own self-loathing. It presented as a manic-depressive range of behaviors in which he would torment people and then overpay/reward them in an effort to keep them close and dependent.

Of all the people weighing in on this PGU thing I probably know less about this douchebag than any of you, but I'll make this bet: He'll be back; he's way too needy to stay away. In the very way Trump, after bollixing his first weeks in office, had to "go back on the campaign trail" to feel adored in front of cheering crowds, Ace is desperate for people to be aware of him. Without them he ceases to exist.
In no way am I saying you are wrong about Trump. But just for the record, the "go back to the campaign trail" was invented by Obama. Obama, in case you have forgotten, was on the trail, so to speak, his entire 8 years.

Indeed, in this particular case, it's to Trump's credit he copied Obama....he had to. So good for him. (He copied the master.)

I'm really sorry (seriously) you went political.

You had me reading every word.

Then........well, you decided........ahhhh
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Please folks... keep this thread to bashing Ace
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:Please folks... keep this thread to bashing Ace

Exactly, I had written a very nice rebuttal for Hank, but decided to delete it and just move on.

F**K Ace.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Lock him up!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

azgreg wrote:
UAdevil wrote:We just need to be vigilant. I approve/deny each new registration personally, and will always check ip addresses. I don't want to exclude any new members regardless of where they've come from, but...new folks will need to be on short leashes if troublesome behavior manifests.
So far that donate hat netted ud $20.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAdevil wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Are you coming out of pocket to run this site?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZQuik

Post by AZQuik »

Another PGU reject. Been there for years but never followed it close enough to catch everything until this past year. I started looking for options after the Trier fiasco. Once I realized he was deleting accounts that didn't basically stroke his ego (Trier is cleared and will play, Ace said so, so stop asking why he hasn't played if he is cleared) and all the "you all are so stupid if you don't already know these things" type posts.

I deal with people like him for a living (sick people) and the drama level is high. I come to places like this to unwind. Not interested in dealing with that crap at a place like this. I have a few friends at work who have made similar statements and I pointed them here.

I also took advantage of a deal Scheer offered at scout for premium membership. Will see how that goes.

There were a lot of fine people at PGU, and I'm sure a lot of not so fine. IMO the best thing that can happen for this place is for Ace to open it back up and continue with his shennanagins. The losers will go back in force, and the non-koolaid-drinkers will start looking for a new place to discusses UA Basketball.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Sorry, but aren't deaths a matter of public record? Wouldn't this be easy for someone to prove (or in this case, disprove)?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I'm happy to have all you former PGU members here. I hope my worries over Ace Minions hasn't tempered your ambitions here.

I've been associated a lot of boards and have been a part of a few with known asshats and the aforementioned criminal antics. Would hate to be lumped in with them. So I really do want to welcome you all.

I have the burden of knowing too much. I feel I let it slip into irrational worry.

Like I said, if you know other quality posters, bring them here.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

azcat49 wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Are you coming out of pocket to run this site?

I am, though the cost is fairly insignificant really.