Pancreatic cancer

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BigSkyCatinMT

Re: Pancreatic cancer

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I'm still here. Been over a month since I logged on. Got to meet some very interesting people over the last couple years. Odd, but one little girl needed a kidney transplant. Such a sweetheart. She finally got a kidney, but the daughter of a girl I used to date was the donor. Auto accident. One patient shot himself-didn't know him, but know his family. Small town shiit.

Don't think I'll ever look at life again the way I used to. Don't know why I'm still here. Unfinished business maybe?? Son has earned 4 scholorships to GCU..and is 13. He's way short of full tuition, maybe that's what I'm here for.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

:lol:

I feel like that's my purpose in life sometimes too.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I'm still here.
And still in charge. There's no where to go that isn't here. So proud for you. Get some, brother, you got shit to do.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fight! Fight! BigSky Fight!
BigSkyCat Bear Down!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

A small but significant new study is blowing experts away after it found that a particular cancer drug overwhelmingly helped shrink or eradicate tumors in patients whose cancer had resisted every other form of treatment.

The study, which was published in the journal Science, followed 86 patients who had advanced cancer of the pancreas, prostate, uterus, or bone. The patients were given pembrolizumab, which also goes by the brand name Keytruda, and the results were very promising. Sixty-six patients had tumors that shrank significantly and stabilized; among them were 18 patients whose tumors disappeared and haven’t returned.

The patients all carried genetic mutations that kept their cells from fixing damaged DNA. Pembrolizumab is known as a PD-1 blocker, an emerging type of immunotherapy drug that helps the immune system find cancer cells and attack tumors.

The study was small, and there was no control group (i.e., a group that didn’t receive pembrolizumab that scientists could compare results against), but the results were so striking that the FDA has already approved pembrolizumab for patients whose cancer comes from this particular genetic abnormality.

According to the New York Times, this is the first time a drug has been approved for use against tumors that share a particular genetic profile, regardless of where they appear in the body.

Dr. Jack Jacoub, a medical oncologist and director of thoracic oncology at MemorialCare Cancer Institute at Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center in Fountain Valley, Calif., tells Yahoo Beauty that the study was “interesting, welcomed, and exciting.”

There has been a general opinion that the immune system is integral in the development and spread of cancer, he points out, and these new findings show that targeting the immune system to treat cancer can be effective. “To finally see now proof that targeting the immune system improves the situation and doesn’t necessarily correlate with one specific cancer … that’s a really powerful message,” he says.

Jacoub also points out that the FDA’s move to approve pembrolizumab quickly was a big step. “The FDA doesn’t take these kinds of things lightly,” he says. “The data was so good, they had to approve it.”

Jacoub says he suspects that drugs like this will be used in the future in connection with more established cancer treatments for specific types of the disease. “This may improve outcomes,” he says. “This form of therapy, plus something else, may allow us to potentially cure and eradicate cancer. These are the steps that are getting us closer to that goal.”
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/new-cancer ... 22959.html" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That beardown spirit is ALIVE in BigSkyCat! Keep it going and always stay positive.

As an aside, the above article is pretty exciting
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just found out my sister-in-law passed away this morning from brain cancer. She was just diagnosed with it last week. Fuck cancer.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That's terrible. Condolences to your family.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So sorry Greg, awful, awful news.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cripes that's awful. So sorry Greg.

Not sure what's worse, to go quick like that, or hang on and linger.

When my mom was dying of uterine cancer, she had maybe one good hour out of the whole day due to the side effects of chemotherapy, but she hung on long enough for all the family together and say our goodbyes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh man, tough news. Many condolences to you and your family Greg
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Words are so inadequate, but I am so sorry for your loss Greg. Keeping your family in my thoughts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Thanks guys. It means a lot. Damn this happened fast. I was still waiting for results from a MRI to check a mass in her lung.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Silver lining is that it was fast. Best wishes to your family, Greg. Tough times.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Sincere condolences greg. Best wishes to you and your family....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm so sorry, Greg.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What's really making this tough today is she's the first of our generation to go. The next line up (parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) are just about all gone. My wife's dad and just a few uncles are left. Until today all my brothers, sisters, brother-in-laws, sister-in-laws as well as on my wife's side are still here. Time to do some damage to that bottle of Grey Goose in the cupboard.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Greg I am so sorry to hear this.

Wishing you and your family peace during this time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Been a couple of months since BigSky dropped in. Hope it's because he's too busy living to give us much thought.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Sorry azgreg for your loss.

Don't wait for bruins01 to relay his condolences, because apparently launching baseless attacks on other posters' voting records are as personal as he gets.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

azgreg;

So sorry for your loss. It hurts, it always brings one to reevaluate priorities, and it brings us face to face with not only our own mortality, but of those closest to us. In my family, it was been quick, agonizingly slow, or for a few, they won a hard fought battle - at cost.

And yes, I'm still around. Nothing in my life is the same as it was at the end of June, and never will be. Been busy trying to figure out what the new 'normal' for me will be. At the age of 54, I find myself...like a 20-year-old preparing to face the world alone.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Thanks man and thanks for checking in.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

A r e the fires anywhere near you?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Been busy trying to figure out what the new 'normal' for me will be. At the age of 54, I find myself...like a 20-year-old preparing to face the world alone.
Drop in here. We couldn't possibly begin to know what you're going through, but we can always be company.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:azgreg;

So sorry for your loss. It hurts, it always brings one to reevaluate priorities, and it brings us face to face with not only our own mortality, but of those closest to us. In my family, it was been quick, agonizingly slow, or for a few, they won a hard fought battle - at cost.

And yes, I'm still around. Nothing in my life is the same as it was at the end of June, and never will be. Been busy trying to figure out what the new 'normal' for me will be. At the age of 54, I find myself...like a 20-year-old preparing to face the world alone.
For completely different reasons, this is oddly similar to how I'm feeling these days.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

azgreg wrote:A r e the fires anywhere near you?
Got evacuated twice from the Lolo Peak fire. New job on July 6th, seeking 4th place to live in since then. Been a ride for sure this past few months. Not letting up. Have pending job applications in Boise, Spokane, and Seattle...among others.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Awesome big sky! Great great options!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Sad day. My favorite and youngest cousin, after twice fighting off cancer went to hospice this morning on her 3rd round. I would post this on my Facebook page, but it is not given to me to do so.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Here's sending you and yours some good thoughts and hopefully some good luck ... I've had more than I deserve. I thought of you this Thanksgiving at Polebridge. Bear Down, brother.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Paging MT.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah hoping for the best. he hasn't logged in since December 21st...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I am friends with him on FB. Looks like his last post was March 6th. Some woman with the same last name as him has been posting on his timeline though singing videos.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote:I am friends with him on FB. Looks like his last post was March 6th. Some woman with the same last name as him has been posting on his timeline though singing videos.
Is his FB private?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I sent you his FB address. Looks like made a comment on some basketball game 13 hours ago.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Merkin wrote:I sent you his FB address. Looks like made a comment on some basketball game 13 hours ago.
Thank goodness. I was worried when I saw the bump. I wish him the best. I lost my husband to pancreatic cancer. There are very few, more evil words in the English Language that a person can utter.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Anybody have any word on MT?

I just started thinking of him today.

A friend of mine had brain cancer twice and twice he beat it.

Today he just let everyone know that its back for a 3rd time....

FUCK CANCER
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Haven't heard anything. His last visit and post was May 11th
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I remain hopeful, he's not been around for months at a time before
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm friends with him on FB, he is still kicking but having other issues.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Good Morning everyone, I am just devastated and don’t know what to do so I figured sharing here might help. My 64yo step father was admitted to the hospital in PHX a few days ago for not feeling well and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Still waiting on official results back regarding serverity but like I said we are all just devastated. He helped raise me and he’s easily the most honorable, selfless, kindest person I’ve ever known. Especially seeing him interact with my 3 year old son, his first grandson and the joy he brings. He’s amazing with young kids. I have the biggest knot in my chest and don’t know what to do. We are all hoping for a best case scenario at this point I guess that’s all we can do.

Happy thanksgiving otherwise. Sorry to be a downer on this day.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Cancer fucking sucks. That's some horrible news. I hope you get some better news when you get the results back.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve been up close enough to cancer not to wish it on any family.

Holding out hope they caught your step-dad’s in time...
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Shit, man. I'll send positive energy your stepdad's way.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Thank you very much guys. Your kind words and positive thoughts mean more than you can ever know.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Take good care of your step dad and yourselves, p. I’m sorry to hear.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I am friends with Mtz on FB, and he is doing well. He is in the pharm industry and can get alternative treatments.

But this really makes me extremely sad. :(

BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I'm back.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I'm back.
Damn right! You got shit to do!

~ Wilhoit's Law
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Physically, think I'm ok. Every day is a small victory. Every week seems to bring a small setback. I lost my family, but regained my will to live.