Anyone know jack shit about the airline industry?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Re: Anyone know jack shit about the airline industry?

Post by RichardCranium »

Glad some of you are finally catching up with me and my loathing of LAX.

You still have a long way to go though.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oh I loathe it so much I will purposely go out of my way not to fly through there.

But with this great deal I found for our recent flight for the fam, I had no choice.

First time in 8 years that I’ve been at LAX. May I go on another 8year run.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I flew in there a couple weeks ago. Direct flight from Tucson vs. going through Vegas to Burbank. What a freaking zoo.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cosigned.

I picked up my son in law from LAX one time, and swore never to do it again.

Living in mid-California, I like flying out of San Jose, or one of the local airports which connects to SFO.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m with you merkin, I’ve been spoiled by SFO. It gets bad when the fog rolls in during the summer and can get some delays but at least most of the time it’s efficient to get through security and there is lots of space and light and things to do inside the terminals.

Yesterday’s events where like this...

1. Arrive at lax delta terminal three on international flight. Processing through customs was a breeze and up there with my best experiences. Tip of the cap there.

2. Late connecting flight isn’t up yet, but we are told it will be out of terminal 2 delta domestic. The terminal three is for international, DCA, JFK, and Atlanta only.

3. Like Miami you have to collect your bags and recheck them...ugh. Then you have to go through security again, double ugh. I’m with 1.5yo, 4yo, and tired wife in tow...oh and a stroller that 1.5yo just fell asleep in that we have to wake to go though security again.

4. Holy shit security for delta terminal 2 is a fuckkng joke. Lazy unaware TSA agents with only two lanes open and a line running from the upstrairs to level two. Kids and strolled got us a fast pass but that really didn’t change that much still took way too much time to get through for a hub at a mason airport. Like 30minute of a snakelike wrap around line.

5. Terminal two is a fine specimen of early 1980’s airport design that capacity has far outgrew. I appreciate the attempt at modernization and see where it’s heading with terminal three but there isn’t much in terms of space that can be done unless you do a complete tear down and rebuild. That ain’t happening. The terminal iS classic circle model with a gaggle of seats and people in the center and gates on the perimeter of the circle . Like old Vegas or LGA, just people on top of each other with no real food or shopping options to kill time. Dark dreary competition for seats and just shitty although. Sad when you compared to airports in India, China, even old European airports, this terminal is third world despite the attempts a modern interior design.

6. 1hr till boarding we are assigned a gate! Yay terminal two. We go to gate. Next flight is not our flight but one for much later to Minneapolis. Hmmm. Wait 10 miniature, check departure timetable and yup, gate reassif we to...you guessed it...terminal three.

7. And so we shlep to the runway shuttle avoiding security but traveling now with two jet lagged and asleep small children.

8. Got back to terminal three with is nice but again, design wise too small for capacity for a major hub. With only like three eatery options all at 14 dollar a meal minimum. Fuck that. I’ll order your plate of warmed over Panda Express knock off and split it with my family.

9. Finally boarded and came home.

I hate LAX so so so much.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thank god for Infrastructure Week.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We avoid LAX like the plague. Last time was coming from Cabo and it was just as bad as CST's experience. The customs were good though.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

About a month ago I posed the following questions to co-workers: "How much more would you pay per ticket to fly out of San Diego vs Los Angeles" as I was looking at tickets for upcoming trips. There was one outlier answer that he would pay whatever is cheapest. Everyone else was from $40 up to $100 per ticket. The best answer was "I would have to answer to my wife if I booked out of LAX.

I ended up paying $75 per ticket more and I am good with that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've only flown through LAX 2-3 times and I swear I will never do it again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Coop Cat wrote:About a month ago I posed the following questions to co-workers: "How much more would you pay per ticket to fly out of San Diego vs Los Angeles" as I was looking at tickets for upcoming trips. There was one outlier answer that he would pay whatever is cheapest. Everyone else was from $40 up to $100 per ticket. The best answer was "I would have to answer to my wife if I booked out of LAX.

I ended up paying $75 per ticket more and I am good with that.
This is a great question. Sac tends to be a 200+ add on over SFO.

I love SFO but driving home at 11pm after being up about 24 hrs was sketch. The challenge is traveling alone vs all four of us, and that 200per ticket can add up. Have to figure in the long term parking and gas and time costs as well, but in the end the price of our UK tickets were well worth the extra hassle to drive to sfo and the be rerouted through lax on the way back.

But...I would have to seriously reconsider any trips via LAX in the future. Just isn’t worth it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love the Tucson airport. No real amenities but good god is it the easiest place on earth to fly out of. I have literally left my house (a 25 min drive from the airport) about 90 mins before a flight and had to wait at the gate for 10-15 mins to board. And that includes parking and getting a shuttle from the parking lot and goin through security.

Too bad there's such limited destinations and it is exorbitantly more expensive than Phoenix.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:I love the Tucson airport. No real amenities but good god is it the easiest place on earth to fly out of. I have literally left my house (a 25 min drive from the airport) about 90 mins before a flight and had to wait at the gate for 10-15 mins to board. And that includes parking and getting a shuttle from the parking lot and goin through security.

Too bad there's such limited destinations and it is exorbitantly more expensive than Phoenix.
I agree. I love the Tucson airport because of how easy it is to get in and out of. Shit, even renting a car takes like 10 minutes if nobody is in line which is usually the case.

As a regular traveler for work almost every week that's why I fly out of Hartford instead of the NY airports (LGA & Kennedy), which btw give LAX a run for it's money. O'hare is up there too if you have to connect through there in the winter time.

Heading to Tucson next week to see my son - looking forward to it big time. :D
Then to LA via LAX the following week. :lol:
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Only problem with LAX is the traffic on the horseshoe. Other than that after the reno of the United terminal and American picking up space at Bradley it’s actually pretty nice. Reopening of the south complex terminals helps too. T1 reno for Southwest looks like a nice improvement too but I typically only fly Southest out of Burbank.

People who choose to fly Delta deserve what they get. Not quite sure what CST is complaining about, don’t all US airports require re clearing security after customs? European airports certainly do too.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Australians hate LAX too. QANTAS opened up a new route Sydney direct to SFO at $999 return and damn near killed the LAX routes. When we did the trip last year, we took that route because I was going to go through SFO regardless. Flying out of Melbourne to SYD to anywhere is a pain because you have to take a bus from the Domestic terminal to the International terminal, but it was worth it because like many of you, I go out of my way to avoid LAX.

Last year, with this deal running, they were having trouble keeping up with the MEL -> SYD demand, and that is already one of the most profitable routes in the world. The plane was delayed getting into MEL because of weather at both ends, then when we finally did get boarded and out on the runway, we had to sit there for another half hour while they cleaned up the mess on the runway from the previous landing place that hit a flock of seagulls as they taxied to the gate. We finally get to SYD, and I swear that 2/3 of the people on our plane were, like us, trying to make the SFO plane that was being held at the gate. We got priority for the bus transfer and rushed through security. The plane was backing away from the gate before everyone had actually stowed their gear and sat down. It wasn't till then that I realized that I had left my hat back at security.

Its cool though. When we got to Oakland I happened to notice a hat shop across the street and went to check it out. It was actually their second last day before closing down, and I got a really nice fedora for something like half wholesale. Then when we got back to SYD with a couple hours layover, I found the lost and found office and actually got my first hat back.

EDIT: I just noticed: QANTAS is starting direct flights MEL - SFO on 1 September 2018. Who-hoo! No more Sydney shuttle!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

legallykenny wrote:Only problem with LAX is the traffic on the horseshoe. Other than that after the reno of the United terminal and American picking up space at Bradley it’s actually pretty nice. Reopening of the south complex terminals helps too. T1 reno for Southwest looks like a nice improvement too but I typically only fly Southest out of Burbank.

People who choose to fly Delta deserve what they get. Not quite sure what CST is complaining about, don’t all US airports require re clearing security after customs? European airports certainly do too.
I don’t choose to fly delta, that is what virgin Atlantic is as my connection for the flight. Sure I could’ve spent extra for the return to sfo, and would’ve if solo, but x4 that extra adds up to nearly another international ticket. I’ll save that for another trip.

Yes but not all security is as inefficient and slow as MIA, LGA, and LAX. Also there are some airports that have a pass though after customs, ie a smaller security for those on connecting flights and a bag recheck right there instead of with the general population like at LAX
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:
legallykenny wrote:Only problem with LAX is the traffic on the horseshoe. Other than that after the reno of the United terminal and American picking up space at Bradley it’s actually pretty nice. Reopening of the south complex terminals helps too. T1 reno for Southwest looks like a nice improvement too but I typically only fly Southest out of Burbank.

I don’t choose to fly delta, that is what virgin Atlantic is as my connection for the flight. Sure I could’ve spent extra for the return to sfo, and would’ve if solo, but x4 that extra adds up to nearly another international ticket. I’ll save that for another trip.

Yes but not all security is as inefficient and slow as MIA, LGA, and LAX. Also there are some airports that have a pass though after customs, ie a smaller security for those on connecting flights and a bag recheck right there instead of with the general population like at LAX
How is choosing Delta’s partner airline with a Delta connection not choosing Delta?

LAX security lines have been very fast since the United terminal reno. Bradley security has been very fast for me too even for the mid afternoon European departure bank.

Conversely SFO security at night to catch the late flight back to LAX during the Asian departure bank is Not exactly a breeze even before the hour of waiting in line on the taxi way because of the guaranteed delays. It’s almost as bad as JFK departures.

There’s a lot to be said for the fact that LAX departures are essentially never delayed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

With a family of four, I’ll choose whatever gets me to where I want to go for the best price. If I’m traveling solo, I’ll pay more for greater convenience.

Glad to hear united has things figured out at LAX, because the delta terminals have a lot that’s to be desired.

SFO does have fog related delays which can be a pain in the ass. It least the terminals are updated and nice. LAX delta term 2 (cannot compare to others as I have not used the others in greater than 8 years) is a shithole. And it’s been that way for a very long time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Countries and carriers independently grounding the 737max.

US based carriers still flying, namely AA and SW.

Awesome discussion here:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... &start=650" target="_blank

So many politics behind these decisions.

Boeing in a full on shitstorm.

Great overview of the issues with the 737max here;
https://slate.com/technology/2019/03/et ... 7-max.html" target="_blank

Should’ve built it from the ground up
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AA has already told employees though if they don't feel like flying on the max to call in sick. I bet they ground it very soon.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I just read that the American association of flight attendants are threatening a walk out
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

EU airspace is just about closed the the max.

North American carriers still flying but transatlantic travel gonna be affected.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Trump just ordered the grounding of the 737 max 8s. If you're flying on Southwest anytime soon...check your flight.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Trump just ordered the grounding of the 737 max 8s. If you're flying on Southwest anytime soon...check your flight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Good decision.

Not how it went down of course, but grounding this plane is the right one.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nice work Trump to make the US the least trustworthy nation.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Even better...it’s going to airbus with NTSB in observer status. We won’t be able to touch the data until the French are done with it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:
Oh man, Boeing fucked.

Also not a good look when your former CEO is now in charge of certifications at the FAA
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

As a passenger I prefer airbus anyways and think the Dreamliner is a trash airplane from a comfort standpoint.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... tures.html" target="_blank

This is some serious shit

Also the Ethiopian pilot never trained on the 737 max simulator
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The libertarians will cite this as just another example of how lack of safety is the fault of government safety regulations. If the regulations didn't cost so much to implement Boeing wouldn't have been coerced into charging for the safety features.

It's axiomatic: if government raises the cost of killing consumers business will be forced to pass that cost on to consumers.

The surviving families of those killed in the crashes should start a GoFundME effort to pay for Boeing to sue the government. Better yet, Trump should abolish the FAA as it is obviously colluding with Russia. In a few years from now Trump Air will fly the bestest beautifullest 737 Max fleet in the history of everything.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

There are some real Boeing defenders on airliners.net who think exactly like what your wrote. I’d be hilarious if it wasn’t so downright scary.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The libertarians and the anarcho-capitalists are cultists just like the Trumpcucks. Inside their hive-mind of delusion things get creepy real fast. The only thing they're good for is parody and ridicule.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

United joins delta in introducing dynamic pricing to frequent flier mile redemptions!

Yay! All those miles you’ve been saving to take the wife to Hawaii are now subject to supply and demand!

Assholes.

Just wait till this model comes to your favorite restaurant.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:United joins delta in introducing dynamic pricing to frequent flier mile redemptions!

Yay! All those miles you’ve been saving to take the wife to Hawaii are now subject to supply and demand!

Assholes.

Just wait till this model comes to your favorite restaurant.
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I've seen craft beer places where the price of each beer on tap changes based on demand. Prices changed hourly or something. If one beer was popular it would be like $10 a pint and some other ones would be like $3.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Not sure if it's the same thing, but I've seen craft beer places where the price of each beer on tap changes based on demand. Prices changed hourly or something. If one beer was popular it would be like $10 a pint and some other ones would be like $3.
Are you serious? I need to get out more because my cynicism index has fallen of late. This practice is ripe for abuse. The brewery can manipulate price for any reason and just fob it off on the "demand" of the moment. How do you know if it's at all true?

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I hope none of those passengers were mad with Southwest because of that. Nothing to do with them and besides do people want to take off from a bumpy runway?

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I hope none of those passengers were mad with Southwest because of that. Nothing to do with them and besides do people want to take off from a bumpy runway?
Or blow a tire.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Was going to post that in the Ruthless and Incompetent Companies thread.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chalk that up on more reasons why I actively try to avoid delta.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

$27 a paycheck seems like a hell of a bargain for what you get out of having a union.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

When it rains it pours.