The shoe thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

The shoe thread

Post by rgdeuce »

Any shoe collectors in here? New kicks, retros, designer or dress shoes? I've been out of the game for a while, stopped when my wife (then girlfriend) got pregnant, and the chips fell from there. Wedding, child, first home, another child. The hypebeasts kind of turned me off too, being honest. I had two in-laws who were showing up to Christmas and birthday parties in crispy retros and absolutely no clue about the history of the shoe. A lot of the others out there speak for themselves.

My boys are usually in a pair of Jordan retros or other Nikes (brother gets the hand me downs), so this has got me missing things. I really wish I hadn't sold off a lot of my stuff. All I kept was my white cement III's (because they are my favorite and the first pair i had as a kid) and a few other non-jordan retros I wasn't going to get anything for. Got a nice little collection of Allen Edmonds dress shoes too, so I'm set in the "adult" shoes department other than getting them re-soled when needed.

Going to keep it to two pairs of Jordan's a year, MAYBE three in a year of strong releases. Looking to scoop the Aqua 8's on black friday and the French Blue 12's (or Obsidians if announced, doubtful) in early 2016, and we will see what else is announced after that. Over time, if I can get my favorite or 2nd favorite colorway of each of my must have models (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13) I will be happy and not become a fiend who settles and makes impulse buys. If anyone else collects maybe you can chime in; I heard things are completely different now. No camping out or arriving early because the stores use a lottery system, and resellers now have bots scooping up pairs making getting them online tough. I had a connect I would only use when I absolutely had to and he was able to come through most of the time I needed him (ie 11's), but he's long gone. I guess the lottery system is cool for safety reasons, especially with releases like the 11's, but I miss the days of waking up at 5:30am, throwing on some sweats and heading to the mall two hours early to make sure you got your size. A little legwork almost always got you a pair, so now I am gonna have to figure out something new.
ASUHATER!

Re: The shoe thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

I own 6 pairs of shoes. Brown and black dress, flip flops, two pairs of sneakers/running shoes and a pair of plain canvas converse type shoes. That's all a man needs.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Not me. 99.99% of the time I'm wearing m NB tennis shoes, Merrel low top hikers, or my golf shoes.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Not really a collector by any means but I do have a pair of Air Jordan 11s, Uptempo 97s:

and these bad boys:

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Salomon hiking shoes from REI. A pair ancient Fila slip ons the masquerade as formals. That's about it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I hate shoes in general. If I don't have to be wearing them, I'm not.

If I could be barefoot at all times, I would be
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I hate shoes in general. If I don't have to be wearing them, I'm not.

Why do I picture this?

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I hate shoes in general. If I don't have to be wearing them, I'm not.

Why do I picture this?

That's about right!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:I own 6 pairs of shoes. Brown and black dress, flip flops, two pairs of sneakers/running shoes and a pair of plain canvas converse type shoes. That's all a man needs.
LOL. There was a period in college when all I owned was a pair of casuals for school that lasted me a whole year, and a pair of spikes and running shoes for baseball. Some guys can get out of control with the shoes, I know plenty. I am not into all that matchy-matchy crap though, like making sure I have a hat and shirt that matches the colors perfectly. It's a hobby for many though. Rather than collecting something like say, sports cards and autographs that stay locked in a safe, the shoes are collectible and fun to acquire, and you can actually use them. As long as you don't beat them up and keep them in solid condition, you can often get close to your money back if you wanted, sometimes even more than what you paid. My sisters husband is sitting on a fortune and has several pairs he could sell for over $1,000 if he wanted.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Or you could use the money for other things that are useful haha.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I design my own slip-on Converse low rise Chuck Taylors. I've made 6 or 7 pairs, all with different color schemes and designs. Only problem is that I wear the shit out of them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Imelda Marcos loves this thread.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/o ... a-flooding

Merrell Moab (low-rise hikers)
Brown dress shoes
Black dress shoes
Leather sandals
NB running shoes
NB cross-trainers
Gore-tex boots for snow (20 years old)

The notion of me and my set shot needing a high performance shoe is amusing. Like buying a Mt. Everest backpack to hold my lunch.
Right where I want to be.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

zulily.com

I've bought a lot of shoes from this site. Changes daily, huge discounts on really good brands.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Allen edmonds 5th avenue black
AE 5th avenue dark brown
AE strand walnut color
AE split toe blucher chili color
AE Voyager black
Ecco Walking shoes brown
Adidas zero running shoes
Altra Olympus running shoe
Hoka one one Stinson running shoe
Newton off road running shoe
Altra neutral running shoe (forgot name)
Sidi genius 4 cycling shoe
Sidi Triathlon cycling shoe
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Gato Salvaje wrote:Allen edmonds 5th avenue black
AE 5th avenue dark brown
AE strand walnut color
AE split toe blucher chili color
AE Voyager black
Grown man shoes. I got

Black Park Avenue
Merlot McCallisters
Bourbon Strands
Walnut Stands
Chili (Randolph? cant remember) penny loafers
Fastball boat shoes
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

nm
Last edited by Puerco on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

rgdeuce wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I own 6 pairs of shoes. Brown and black dress, flip flops, two pairs of sneakers/running shoes and a pair of plain canvas converse type shoes. That's all a man needs.
LOL. There was a period in college when all I owned was a pair of casuals for school that lasted me a whole year, and a pair of spikes and running shoes for baseball. Some guys can get out of control with the shoes, I know plenty. I am not into all that matchy-matchy crap though, like making sure I have a hat and shirt that matches the colors perfectly. It's a hobby for many though. Rather than collecting something like say, sports cards and autographs that stay locked in a safe, the shoes are collectible and fun to acquire, and you can actually use them. As long as you don't beat them up and keep them in solid condition, you can often get close to your money back if you wanted, sometimes even more than what you paid. My sisters husband is sitting on a fortune and has several pairs he could sell for over $1,000 if he wanted.
Not really a fan of expensive shoes, but I bought a pair of $400 Kenneth Coles last year, and I love them, so I've started to head in that direction. There's a little shop in my neighborhood where the cobbler makes really nice custom shoes right there, but they're a little out of my (er, my wife's) price range. Other issue is that I ride my bike to work, and I've already shredded the Kenneth Coles, so I can't justify buying expensive shoes without doing something stupid like wearing different shoes for the commute. Sucks. So...

Keneth Cole brown lace-ups
Clark black slip ons (also shredded)
Havaianas
Keen leather hiking boots
Mizuno running shoes

I beat you by one, 'Hater.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:...so I can't justify buying expensive shoes without doing something stupid like wearing different shoes for the commute.
That doesn't sound stupid to me, it sounds smart.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Not really a fan of expensive shoes, but I bought a pair of $400 Kenneth Coles last year, and I love them, so I've started to head in that direction. There's a little shop in my neighborhood where the cobbler makes really nice custom shoes right there, but they're a little out of my (er, my wife's) price range. Other issue is that I ride my bike to work, and I've already shredded the Kenneth Coles, so I can't justify buying expensive shoes without doing something stupid like wearing different shoes for the commute. Sucks. So...

Keneth Cole brown lace-ups
Clark black slip ons (also shredded)
Havaianas
Keen leather hiking boots
Mizuno running shoes

I beat you by one, 'Hater.
Next time you are in the market for a nice dress shoe, look into Allen Edmonds. The leather and the craftmanship kill anything Kenneth Cole make. They will really last forever (or close) with proper care and getting them re-soled as needed. I purchased my first pair four years ago, and after a nice polish they look almost brand new. Full price they are cheaper than what you paid for the KC's, and you can get them in the mid-high $200s if you catch Allen Edmonds annual sale or Nordstrom anniversary sale.

Get some beaters for the ride next time. I don't ride to work, but I always keep a pair of beaters in the office in case it rains heavily.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Puerco wrote:...so I can't justify buying expensive shoes without doing something stupid like wearing different shoes for the commute.
It would be smart, but I try to minimize the crap I have to carry back and forth to the office. I may just start keeping my good shoes in my office.

Deuce, I'm getting insider information that the best quality and cheapest custom shoes by far are done in Italy. Happily I'll be there on vacation in October, so I'll look around.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
It would be smart, but I try to minimize the crap I have to carry back and forth to the office. I may just start keeping my good shoes in my office.
That sounds smart to me too, provided of course that your office is secure or, at the very least, that you trust the other workers in your building.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:
Deuce, I'm getting insider information that the best quality and cheapest custom shoes by far are done in Italy. Happily I'll be there on vacation in October, so I'll look around.
I wouldn't doubt that one bit.