Mid-August

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Mid-August

Post by Longhorned »

Just a reminder that it's that time of year when you pick up some locally grown tomatoes, slice them thickly, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put on mayo-covered white bread and let sit for 10 minutes before eating. Only two weeks remain for this possibility. My first of the season is about to go down. Truly the best sandwich in the world.

Merkin

Re: Mid-August

Post by Merkin »

I used to eat those all the time, and tend to agree that it is the best in the world. Can't even remember when I haven't grown tomatoes.

Peanut butter + mayo + lettuce on white bread comes close though.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:I used to eat those all the time, and tend to agree that it is the best in the world. Can't even remember when I haven't grown tomatoes.

Peanut butter + mayo + lettuce on white bread comes close though.
That sounds like one of my dad's combos right there. He'll add salami too sometimes.

Love a tomato sandwich.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Tomato sandwiches are good but nothing beats a BLT.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

my dad said when he was a kid on the farm in KS he and his dad would eat lard sandwiches.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Tomato sandwiches are good but nothing beats a BLT.
I got to have one of those tomorrow.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Tomato sandwiches are good but nothing beats a BLT.
I got to have one of those tomorrow.
I miss bacon. :cry:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:my dad said when he was a kid on the farm in KS he and his dad would eat lard sandwiches.
I wonder if he means cured fatback, which is firm and slices nicely, and really does make a great sandwich. He can't mean globular lard spread on bread. You'd swallow the first bite and say, "Man, ever feel like something's missing?"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Interesting. Cured fatback or "lardo".

Nope, not interested.

But I do eat bacon probably twice a week.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you don't like prosciutto, don't try lardo. It's even worse.

If you like prosciutto, do try lardo. It's even better.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm pretty sure it was the spreadable white lard with sugar
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:I'm pretty sure it was the spreadable white lard with sugar
Ah. The redneck equivalent of the New York Jewish butter and sugar on rye.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My mom told me about eating bacon grease sandwiches when she was growing up dirt poor in northern Wisconsin. Head cheese also, which is disgusting.

One of my uncles ate a bologna and apple butter sandwich every work day.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:My mom told me about eating bacon grease sandwiches when she was growing up dirt poor in northern Wisconsin. Head cheese also, which is disgusting.
I love headcheese. One of my favorite foods. I eat tons of it before going to a pork-less Muslim country for any extended period.

I even wrote a poem about headcheese:

Headcheese, oh headcheese,
What for art thou?
Art thee sucked from a pig or scraped from a cow?
Dost thou haveth a name more proper I may call?
For I oft' wonder if thou art cheese at all.
Oh sacred jellied loaf! dost it matter what thou art?
Wouldst thy taste be more suitable if thou were head, foot, tongue, or heart?
Headcheese, oh headcheese, one bite of thee a life dost maketh,
And thou shalt never be by me a love to be foresaketh.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Just a reminder that it's that time of year when you pick up some locally grown tomatoes, slice them thickly, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put on mayo-covered white bread and let sit for 10 minutes before eating. Only two weeks remain for this possibility. My first of the season is about to go down. Truly the best sandwich in the world.

Geez, how about a NSFG warning!
Right where I want to be.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Just a reminder that it's that time of year when you pick up some locally grown tomatoes, slice them thickly, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and put on mayo-covered white bread and let sit for 10 minutes before eating. Only two weeks remain for this possibility. My first of the season is about to go down. Truly the best sandwich in the world.

Geez, how about a NSFG warning!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Hold the mayo. Yuck. How about mustard instead?

SD86, the Brits do 'bacon budgies'. Basically bacon sandwiches with whitebread. Melted fat has to saturate the bread for it to be proper. I always wonder why they bothered with the bread...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:Hold the mayo. Yuck. How about mustard instead?

SD86, the Brits do 'bacon budgies'. Basically bacon sandwiches with whitebread. Melted fat has to saturate the bread for it to be proper. I always wonder why they bothered with the bread...
I guess if you sincerely dislike mayo, the best you could do is butter the bread instead. Mustard would make it indistinguishable from a February hothouse tomato sandwich.

As for the bacon butties, HP sauce is required, in my opinion.

I agree with those historians of mayonnaise who conclude that many people raised in the U.S. claim to dislike mayo but actually don't dislike it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Where does horseradish come into play?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Where does horseradish come into play?
I don't know. On roast beef and stuff? I like the way it burns through my nostrils.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:

I agree with those historians of mayonnaise who conclude that many people raised in the U.S. claim to dislike mayo but actually don't dislike it.
They, including me, claim to dislike something they like? Tell me more.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

I am also curious how I may only be imagining that I hate mayo...
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My daughter refuses to eat Sonoran dogs with mayo on them.

I actually really like mayo, but rarely ever use catsup/ketchup but don't ask to take it off.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Yes. Take Professor Robert Bumrokket (History Department, Emory University), whose research interests are the history of the post-bellum south, civil rights, and mayonnaise. In Condiments 60.1 (May 2009), he identifies the pressures of packed lunch encounters in public schools in the early to mid 20th century, where one's cultural background was put on display by what your mother sent you to school with. Those with mustard on rye were excluded from the WASP majority, whose own identity was signified by mayonnaise on white bread. Jewish children who sincerely preferred their pastrami with mayo on white bread were accused by their families and neighborhoods, and kept it a secret. But over time, aspiring sophisticates rejected mayonnaise as "suburban"; the sentiment is forever cemented by Woody's Allen's facial reaction to Annie Hall ordering pastrami and tomato with mayonnaise on white bread. The ethos culminates with the widespread rejection of the condiment as "disgusting."

The growing realization that this is a conspiracy is captured in season 1 of Orange is the New Black, in which the corrupt security guard tells the prison cook who knows all of his secrets to make him a bologna sandwich "with no mustard, just mayonnaise."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I used to hate mayo but like it now, in moderation.

But I still can't spread mayo on bread. It makes me queasy. If it's on there when served to me, I'm good. But I cannot apply my own.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

At a party while I was at Arizona a guy took a $10 bet to eat a jar of Mayo.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:At a party while I was at Arizona a guy took a $10 bet to eat a jar of Mayo.
R.I.P.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Restaurants that list all the sandwich ingredients except for mayo are the worst. At least give me a chance to say 'no mayo please'. Insta-send back if mayo is anywhere on my sandwich. Assume nothing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I don't get the problem with mayo. shrug. I don't slather it all over everything but it makes sammiches complete.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Yes. Take Professor Robert Bumrokket (History Department, Emory University), whose research interests are the history of the post-bellum south, civil rights, and mayonnaise. In Condiments 60.1 (May 2009), he identifies the pressures of packed lunch encounters in public schools in the early to mid 20th century, where one's cultural background was put on display by what your mother sent you to school with. Those with mustard on rye were excluded from the WASP majority, whose own identity was signified by mayonnaise on white bread. Jewish children who sincerely preferred their pastrami with mayo on white bread were accused by their families and neighborhoods, and kept it a secret. But over time, aspiring sophisticates rejected mayonnaise as "suburban"; the sentiment is forever cemented by Woody's Allen's facial reaction to Annie Hall ordering pastrami and tomato with mayonnaise on white bread. The ethos culminates with the widespread rejection of the condiment as "disgusting."

The growing realization that this is a conspiracy is captured in season 1 of Orange is the New Black, in which the corrupt security guard tells the prison cook who knows all of his secrets to make him a bologna sandwich "with no mustard, just mayonnaise."
PBJ, here. Guess I slipped through the condiment cracks. My grandmother would use butter on lunchmeat sandwiches, and I think that's why my mom did that. Think it was a remnant of the Great Depression, where condiments were a luxury.

Half the family is fine with mayo. Half is not. Had nothing to do with wanting to be WASP-y or whatever. I was a kid who didn't think all that deeply, especially when gagging.
gumby

Post by gumby »

pokinmik wrote:Restaurants that list all the sandwich ingredients except for mayo are the worst. At least give me a chance to say 'no mayo please'. Insta-send back if mayo is anywhere on my sandwich. Assume nothing.
Yes, what is up with that? Or picnics, where the sandwich maker just assumes everyone wants mayo. Or workplaces, when they spring for lunch, and all the sandwiches have mayo. Or the Super Bowl party, where the monster sub is slathered in the stuff.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My son's favorite.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What pisses me off is pesto on sandwiches. Wrong application. Just because it's Italian, that doesn't mean it's always good.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love mayo, especially Belgian mayo. And my all time fave is Fritessaus, Dutch mayo. Several European trips in the late 80s when I was a kid completely changed my outlook on mayo as a condiment / dipping sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritessaus

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:My son's favorite.

I do see some basic food groups there, the bread looks like whole grain, and bananas have lots of potassium.

For the first 18 or 20 years of my life this is the only bread I knew existed.

gumby wrote:My grandmother would use butter on lunchmeat sandwiches, and I think that's why my mom did that. Think it was a remnant of the Great Depression, where condiments were a luxury.
Completely forgot my paternal grandmother used to put butter on our ham sandwiches. They were really good too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Butter on sandwiches is often a holdover from Danish or French ancestry.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

UAdevil wrote:Love mayo, especially Belgian mayo. And my all time fave is Fritessaus, Dutch mayo. Several European trips in the late 80s when I was a kid completely changed my outlook on mayo as a condiment / dipping sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritessaus

For the record, I love mayo and I'm a slatherer. No question.

Now UAdevil, your photo reminds of the night in 1987 when I almost died a grisly rock 'n' roll-style death in a run down hostel in Amsterdam. We'd been out and about in the Red Light District, looking but not touching (one of my great regrets), and drinking Heineken after Heineken. On our drunken way back to the hostel we stopped at one of those crazy coin-operated snack kiosks to gorge on all manner of deep fried Dutch delacacies slathered in mayo. Upon our return to the room at the hostel I foolishly, given the amount of beer and deep fried mayo treats already consumed, lit up a big fat joint. Durban Poison was the name of the weed if I recall. I'll assume a few of you know what a mistake it is to smoke after you've had too much booze. When I came to I'd been passed out sitting in a chair with my head on the edge of the sink basin, my hands submerged in a sink clogged with water and my own vomit. I've only had one other night like that in my life, and it involved a Mexican wedding, a bottle of Sauza and a couple of skittish Arabian mares in a stable.

We left quickly for the train station and retreated to a clean hostel in Brussels to gather my wits.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:Butter on sandwiches is often a holdover from Danish or French ancestry.
Yes, I was going to say it was a French thing. My great-grandparents and grandmother were from Luxembourg and used butter on sandwiches their entire lives. The jambon street sandwiches in Paris typically come with butter if I recall. I'm good with butter too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BearDown89 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Butter on sandwiches is often a holdover from Danish or French ancestry.
Yes, I was going to say it was a French thing. My great-grandparents and grandmother were from Luxembourg and used butter on sandwiches their entire lives. The jambon street sandwiches in Paris typically come with butter if I recall. I'm good with butter too.
Yep. Even in Paris a butter and ham sandwich is called a "parisienne."

In Denmark, the very word for sandwich is "smørrebrød" ("buttered bread"). I just got back from another trip to Copenhagen and reminded myself why that's my go-to sandwich at home. I get my rugbrød mailed from:

http://www.copenhagenpastry.com/
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The knowledge you get on this board is amazeballs.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:The knowledge you get on this board is amazeballs.
If anybody ever actually learns anything of substance on this board, somebody should issue a letter of apology.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

hey man, if it has to do with food and it is something new to me that is always a plus.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
If anybody ever actually learns anything of substance on this board, somebody should issue a letter of apology.
I learned men say "amazeballs", too.

I'm Danish, so that could explain the butter thing.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The sandwich would be so much better if you replace the mayo with a light drizzle of olive oil and then added a bunch of fresh mozzarella and basil to it and grilled the sandwich until the cheese started to melt
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
I learned that all I need to do to totally freak you out is tell you that I failed to follow your step-by-step public bathroom instructions before shaking your hand, patting you on the cheek, and mistakenly grabbing your smørrebrød.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

ASUHATER! wrote:

The sandwich would be so much better if you replace the mayo with a light drizzle of olive oil and then added a bunch of fresh mozzarella and basil to it and grilled the sandwich until the cheese started to melt
Replacing mayo with olive oil and fresh mozzarella and basil would make ANY recipe better. But yeah, especially this one.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:

And some roasted turkey, bacon, and maybe some spinach................
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bruins01 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Replacing mayo with olive oil and fresh mozzarella and basil would make ANY recipe better. But yeah, especially this one.
To be fair I do love me some mayo in the right uses. For example on a ham or turkey and cheese sandwich...I have to have mayo on it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.