Airports Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Airports Thread

Post by CalStateTempe »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/2019-airpo ... 1573650771" target="_blank

Congrats PHX, but lol at it being considered a “Large Airport”. Large airports have more then one flight to Europe and flights to Asia.

Top 5 large airports
Phx
Den
Fll
Dtw
MCO

Bottoms 5 large
EWR
JFK
PHL
MIA
ORD

top 5 midsize
TPA
PDX
Aus
Bna Nashville
Smf Sacramento!

Bottom 5 midsize
Lga. Lol
Mdw
Iad. Lol at being considered midsize
Msy. New Orleans
Stl
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Somethings to quibble about but mostly correct.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

You are absolutely correct about Sky Harbor. They have two flights to London (one with british airways and one with American Airlines), and condor offers seasonal service to Germany. I wish they had a nonstop to anywhere in Asia. I know many years ago when I was a little WS, America West airlines had a flight to Tokyo from PHX.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Phx is a tough spot due to less O/D traffic relative to west coast hubs, especially regarding Asian flights.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

From the methodology, these rankings solely reflect the business traveler experience. Which is fine. After all, it’s the Wall Street Journal. But business travel accounts for only like 15% of all flight traffic. Just something to keep in mind.

I only bring that up because of how low Midway scores. That just doesn’t jibe with my experience as someone who uses that airport almost exclusively. But 95% of the flights are Southwest Airlines and there are no executive lounges, so I can see that if you’re just polling business travelers and looking at amenities for those that travel for work why it would be at the bottom.

For those of us who don’t live near O’Hare and like taking their family places without taking out a second mortgage, it’s a really great airport.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:From the methodology, these rankings solely reflect the business traveler experience. Which is fine. After all, it’s the Wall Street Journal. But business travel accounts for only like 15% of all flight traffic. Just something to keep in mind.

I only bring that up because of how low Midway scores. That just doesn’t jibe with my experience as someone who uses that airport almost exclusively. But 95% of the flights are Southwest Airlines and there are no executive lounges, so I can see that if you’re just polling business travelers and looking at amenities for those that travel for work why it would be at the bottom.

For those of us who don’t live near O’Hare and like taking their family places without taking out a second mortgage, it’s a really great airport.
Really useful observation regarding the business polling of Midway.

What I've lately wondered about Midway is whether its "friendlier" reputation comes down to just about anything comparing better than O'Hare. About 6 years ago I became so fed up with delays at O'Hare that I routed my international originating flights to places like Minnesota (London Connection), Detroit (direct to Japan & Korea), and Dulles (direct to Italy and Germany) and routed my domestic layovers through Midway, if not Atlanta, using Southwest.

However, the more I've used Midway the more it feels like its slowly collecting O'Hare's headaches, especially when it comes to the overcrowdedness. And I've had terrible delays at Midway too.

Luckily now I live about 2 miles from an airport with over forty daily non-stops to domestic destinations, and I haven't used Midway since.

FWIW, I'd rather fly O'Hare than LAX :|
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Midway is definitely overcrowded but interestingly that seems to have been alleviated somewhat by the grounding of the 737 Max. Less Southwest flights at a higher price means less people flying.

There’s a ton of construction going on and I’m hoping they are expanding the common areas. If so, even after the Max goes back into service, I think the crowding won’t be as problematic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Welp, San Diego is a shitshow...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol no joke.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Landed in LAX Monday. Most of the construction I fussed about after my last few times through is finished. Much nicer terminals, but still so crowded. LAX was least of my worries - Monday is the the wildest travel day I've ever had:

1PM flight from Indianapolis to LAX cancelled; new flight routed through Denver. Boarding from Indianapolis, the crash behind us was an older man falling down from a heart attack. Medical professionals were called over the intercoms but by the time the airport’s EMTs arrived it was unfortunately too late. Once boarded for Denver warning lights prevented departure from gate. After an hour delay Mechanics cleared us for takeoff. Finally in the air the passenger next to me had panic attack. While flight attendants calmed him down a physician, summoned over the speakers, controlled his breathing through an oxygen mask. Laying-over in Denver, Terminal 3 lost all power. No planes boarded until power restored. Finally landing late into LAX, the 90s comedy star Pauly Shore rode the parking shuttle with me, asking me about my day of travel. I quickly told him about the heart attack, panic attack, and lost power. He tipped the shuttle driver a Twenty, and departing into the parking garage he knew the other Ethiopian drivers by name as he waved to five of them circled near the exit for a smoke break. Cool to see a celebrity treat strangers so appreciatively. Finally on I-405 & I-5, traffic out of LA crawled.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:Welp, San Diego is a shitshow...
Interesting, although I dont recall flying on a Friday afternoon in the last few years so the business rush might be crazy. I can usually leave my house 90 minutes before my flight, get through security, have a beer and board. Which terminal/airline?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote:
Interesting, although I dont recall flying on a Friday afternoon in the last few years so the business rush might be crazy. I can usually leave my house 90 minutes before my flight, get through security, have a beer and board. Which terminal/airline?
Southwest. I was in Terminal 1 and there was not nearly enough seating, standing room, or food options to accommodate all the people they crammed in there. People getting off flights were literally pushing people out of the way to get out. It was easily the most crowded I’ve seen any terminal in my life.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote: Southwest. I was in Terminal 1 and there was not nearly enough seating, standing room, or food options to accommodate all the people they crammed in there. People getting off flights were literally pushing people out of the way to get out. It was easily the most crowded I’ve seen any terminal in my life.
Someone with more authority on this, clarify what I miss, but it's my understanding that airports rent gate locations to airlines - Delta, Alaska, Southwest, American, etc. Airports price gate rentals at different rates depending on quality of location. Since Southwest is the most aggressive about cutting operational costs, this is why you see "Southwest Terminals" in the least serviceable areas of airports, like LAX & Washington-Reagan. Or avoid certain airports altogether if they can feed traffic into smaller area airports such as Houston-Hobby, Dallas-Love, Lauderdale instead of Miami, no JFK, and obviously Midway instead of O'Hare.

As for San Diego it's a great airport except for the Southwest Terminal, which is the same setup as Washington-Reagan's & Newark's SW Terminal: A circle that can't in any way handle the foot traffic of the 10-12 gates on the perimeter.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I love this thread so much and the topics/discussions it raises.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Southwest. I was in Terminal 1 and there was not nearly enough seating, standing room, or food options to accommodate all the people they crammed in there. People getting off flights were literally pushing people out of the way to get out. It was easily the most crowded I’ve seen any terminal in my life.
Ah yes, that section is a shit show, especially when those flights to SF are delayed, which is like every fucking day.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

FYI anyone that uses the Phoenix airport, after January 17, Lyft will no longer be doing drop offs or pickups at the airport. They are upset the city is increasing the airport transportation fee and are indefinitely suspending airport service. No word on whether Uber is doing it too.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Las Vegas airport later. Will have about two or three hours waiting around until Dad lands on a later flight from San Francisco. Good excuse to try the terminal slots and take down a few drinks at before we get a cab to the Strip.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Las Vegas airport later. Will have about two or three hours waiting around until Dad lands on a later flight from San Francisco. Good excuse to try the terminal slots and take down a few drinks at before we get a cab to the Strip.
Take an Uber. Cabs are about twice as much from the airport.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Anyone been through an airport lately? Pretty empty?

Looks like Southwest cancelled/suspended its very convenient direct routes between Tucson and San Diego.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Anyone been through an airport lately? Pretty empty?

Looks like Southwest cancelled/suspended its very convenient direct routes between Tucson and San Diego.
for the last month or so like half of all flights in and out of Tucson have been cancelled. I'd put it under the suspended category for now because until the potential reopening of the UA campus in August there will be 0 traffic into Tucson until then so no need for flights.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Southwest operated at 6% capacity this months apparently. My wife last flew on March 18 from Minneapolis to Tucson and said it was creepy empty then. Can't imagine now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Too bad no one is going to be using it soon

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Anyone been through an airport lately? Pretty empty?
Just returned from 3 weeks in NC to see my new grandson.

Two puddle jumpers and one normal size airliner between DFW and Charlotte. That route was packed both ways, with masks required.

DFW had most restaurants open, but all employees wore masks, and took only electronic payments. At CLT, no masks on the restaurant employees, and cash was accepted.

On the way back home, CLT had more people wearing masks in the airport than on the way out east.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:
Two puddle jumpers and one normal size airliner between DFW and Charlotte. That route was packed both ways, with masks required.

DFW had most restaurants open, but all employees wore masks, and took only electronic payments. At CLT, no masks on the restaurant employees, and cash was accepted.

On the way back home, CLT had more people wearing masks in the airport than on the way out east.
Thanks for the update. Haven't flown since the weekend before Vegas shutdown back in March. And it's likely I don't step foot on a plane for the rest of the year, especially with work requiring us to travel by vehicle within the region of California and its surrounding states.

Speaking of Vegas and airports, I'm overdue in sharing my latest airport adventure - walking from the Vegas airport to the Strip to avoid the overpriced cabs. When the weather is mild it's a nice walk, probably only a 40 minute walk to MGM if your belongings are contained to a backpack.

I had to use the following blog for directions because the only sidewalk path is not user friendly, likely by design: https://thegate.boardingarea.com/yes-yo ... re-is-how/" target="_blank

For example: The trouble with walking is that there is this pesky runway separating Las Vegas Boulevard — otherwise known as The Strip — from the terminal buildings. I think that the taxi commission must have lobbied to have the airport designed that way. If the runway was on the other side of the terminal building, there would be little need to use transportation to get to the airport.

"Some people believe that no sidewalks exist when leaving the airport. That is not true. At first glance, the main access road appears to have no sidewalk on either side. That is because the sidewalk veers away from the access road — which, by the way, is known as Wayne Newton Boulevard. Look closely under and behind the large traffic sign, and you will see the sidewalk going towards the left, while the main access road curves towards the right."

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Took my first flight in over TEN MONTHS this past Saturday. I've been sticking to the roads whenever leaving the area (for instance with work travel to/from Portland). This time around my only option out of Salt Lake City was through the air. Layover in Las Vegas, where C Terminal was boarded up and nearly empty. Both flights only hosting about 60 passengers across 180 seats.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've flown once in the last year (one way) and it was awful. Every seat full.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last time I flew (May/June) we went to North Carolina to help my daughter with her new baby. The Dallas/Charlotte route was full both ways. Friggin' American Airlines. Haven't been on a flight since.

However, it was very cheap.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My father passed away at the end of last year so flew out to LA just before Christmas on Delta. Flights were about half full but boy was Atlanta's airport quiet compared to the usual madhouse.

Baggie of snacks and water on each leg sort of sucked considering we were flying first class.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Flew from San Diego to Orlando going through Atlanta both ways in early December. Going out the Atlanta airport was a ghost town but it was also 5am when I was there. Coming back in early evening Atlanta was packed with people.

Snacks and water is all Delta is serving right now regardless of class. Each airline is different with what they are providing to passengers. Do the research before booking to see what the carrier is providing and so you are also not surprised.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I remember liking airports...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This is pretty slick for those going to Hawaii from the SD area.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Second time flying since 2019 today. It is fucking miserable. Especially Phoenix
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Recent weekend trips have added three new airports to my travels:

Des Moines - Surprisingly small, only like 8 gates in use, unsurprisingly bordered by Corn Fields.

Houston-Hobby - Southwest Hub; Houston's version of Chicago-Midway

Austin TX - Much larger than expected, which, as I learned, makes sense given how Austin metro has doubled their population since my 90s childhood living in the San Antonio/Austin corridor (1995 - 1.0 Mil; 2020 - 2.2 Mil). Like SFO, the only dining options were up marked local fare; no McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm hoping to extend my streak until April 2027, when I'll go to Pittsburgh for a conference.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I haven't flown since 2017 which has been nice, but I also haven't been anywhere but Arizona and New Mexico either

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dallas is my new favorite airport, Charlotte the least.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've only flown through Tucson, Phoenix, DFW, Love Field, Portland, Midway, O'Hare, Denver, and Minneapolis the last 5 years. Out of those my favorites are Tucson, cuz it takes 12 minutes, or Minneapolis (specifically terminal 2) for the same reason. Midway is by far and away the worst.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:24 pm Recent weekend trips have added three new airports to my travels:

Des Moines - Surprisingly small, only like 8 gates in use, unsurprisingly bordered by Corn Fields.

Houston-Hobby - Southwest Hub; Houston's version of Chicago-Midway

Austin TX - Much larger than expected, which, as I learned, makes sense given how Austin metro has doubled their population since my 90s childhood living in the San Antonio/Austin corridor (1995 - 1.0 Mil; 2020 - 2.2 Mil). Like SFO, the only dining options were up marked local fare; no McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.
I had an overnight layover in Des Moines. The airport was more like a Walgreens. Then on my flight to Phoenix I sar next to Robert Sarver's cousin, who is New Agey and enjoys knitting and knows nothing about basketball, and has nothing good to say about Robert.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:47 pm I haven't flown since 2017 which has been nice, but I also haven't been anywhere but Arizona and New Mexico either
If I don't get on an overseas flight sometime soon I'm gonna go full Karen on the innocent world.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:20 am
ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:47 pm I haven't flown since 2017 which has been nice, but I also haven't been anywhere but Arizona and New Mexico either
If I don't get on an overseas flight sometime soon I'm gonna go full Karen on the innocent world.
I’m going to London in January. About four days after I get back from Denver. So after not getting on a plane in almost two years I’ll be doing lots of airport fun stuff like watching people lose their minds because they can’t wear their mask on their chin.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I was underwhelmed by Portland. Heard it was this amazing airport, and we had a long layover there on the way to Hawaii in 2019 pre-COVID.
Sure, they had a microbrewery restaurant but in our terminal the food selection overall wasn't that great, and the Blue Star donuts is outside security for some reason, even though you can see the back of it from the terminal walkways.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Eh Portland is fine. Never would've considered it a great airport or anything.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On our trip to Portland we flew into Seattle and took the train to Portland. Much nicer trip and cheaper as well.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:26 am On our trip to Portland we flew into Seattle and took the train to Portland. Much nicer trip and cheaper as well.
I love the train from Seattle to Portland. The tram out of Seattle airport is good for getting downtown. Seattle traffic sucks
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:03 pm Anyone been through an airport lately? Pretty empty?

Direct flights between San Diego and Tucson are restored. Took advantage of Southwest's one-ways for our homecoming weekend.

Flights into Tucson are the friendliest I ever take. Plenty wearing Wildcats gear, others recognizing each other and making small town chat, familiar streets such as "Speedway" and "Oracle" overheard, and most of all people thankful to be returning home or taking a break from wherever they're originating.

Way more relaxed than flying into Phoenix or especially LA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It is way past time for some airline to start Tucson to Orange County/Burbank flights. There is like 15-20 flights a day from Tucson to LAX on Southwest/American/United/Delta, but not everyone wants to go to LAX. They'd easily sell out 2-3 flights a day to Burbank or Orange County.

Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:50 am It is way past time for some airline to start Tucson to Orange County/Burbank flights. There is like 15-20 flights a day from Tucson to LAX on Southwest/American/United/Delta, but not everyone wants to go to LAX. They'd easily sell out 2-3 flights a day to Burbank or Orange County.
See Avelo’s website. Service from TUS to BUR starts December 16th.

Someday I’ll take the time to learn how to link things on this board. Today is not the day.