Airports Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Airports Thread

Post by Chicat »

I started to hate Midway, but they put in all these new food options and I’m in love again.

Fuck O’Hare.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

The new John McCain terminal 3 at Sky Harbor is the best in the US without a doubt
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:The new John McCain terminal 3 at Sky Harbor is the best in the US without a doubt
You should tweet that out to the orange man.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Really what did they do to terminal 3? That place was a dump. What makes it so great?

Portland and RDU is the best IMO
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol I love how machina's claiming that one tiny terminal at sky harbor that services frontier and jet blue is the epitome of air travel. Because of course something new in Phoenix is always world class.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:I started to hate Midway, but they put in all these new food options and I’m in love again.

Fuck O’Hare.
This is encouraging as I'll be there in about 4 weeks
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Still no Tortas Frontera at Midway?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:I started to hate Midway, but they put in all these new food options and I’m in love again.

Fuck O’Hare.
This is encouraging as I'll be there in about 4 weeks
Concourse A
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is rick bayless really that good.

I’ve been to frontera and felt it overrated.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Is rick bayless really that good.

Xoco is really good. Not sure that he’s opened one of those at an airport though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Cool I’ll have to check that out next time I’m in the hood.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Is rick bayless really that good.

I think it's overrated, too. But I really like those tortas in the airport with chips and guacamole and several Negra Modelos. Funny thing is, typing that made feel like Paulie Gualtieri from the Sopranos.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Rick Bayless has the only guacamole recipe worth reproducing, because it's actually guacamole without the bullshit fluff and NO TOMATOES.

Also... Airports. Had to make the post relevant.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Really what did they do to terminal 3? That place was a dump. What makes it so great?

Portland and RDU is the best IMO
It is all redone. Really beautiful and open and modern and the food options are amazing.

Service Delta and Hawaiian
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lesson learned, experiment confirmed. Do not connect through O'Hare no matter what. My wife is stuck there hoping to board before the crew times out. The arriving plane sat on the tarmac in a traffic jam for 2 hours.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I always avoid ohare whenever possible.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

First time either of us has flown anything other than Southwest in about 15 years and this is what we get. Lesson learned! Flown Southwest probably 30 times in the last 15 years and only had one flight ever significantly delayed or cancelled. And that was last week, yet I still made it to my destination only about an hour late.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

My only delayed SW flight has been through Midway. Looks like those Chicago Airports run on the same theme of delays, delays, delays; although I'll say ORD is always worse. Roughly half my flights through ORD suffer delays, and other than LAX, it's the airport I most avoid.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So this lax uber pick up idea is some serious shit.

I have a business meeting in November that I’m already gonna be late for, now I have either a 15shuttle or a 20min walk from T4 to the pick up lot.

But yay! They’ll be food trucks there!

Lax your climbing the ranks, and nearing LGA status for my most hated personal airport.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:My only delayed SW flight has been through Midway. Looks like those Chicago Airports run on the same theme of delays, delays, delays; although I'll say ORD is always worse. Roughly half my flights through ORD suffer delays, and other than LAX, it's the airport I most avoid.
Because both Midway and O’Hare are hubs for multiple airlines, delays in other places get magnified there. So if there’s a weather issue on either coast it can really fuck up Chicago’s flight traffic.

I think it’s funny sometimes how people describe delays. As if it’s the airport doing it to them. Airports want to get as many flights in and out as quickly as possible. O’Hare didn’t fuck you over. The pilots having a contract grievance who took their sweet ass time getting to their plane at SFO did. You just happen to be at O’Hare at the tail end of the resulting backup.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Or weather or a million other things. Doesn't make it less frustrating, just is always going to be worse at major hubs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Or weather or a million other things. Doesn't make it less frustrating, just is always going to be worse at major hubs.
Living in Chicago I don’t have to ever fly through other hubs. And there’s usually no issues flying hub to hub in the east (Chi—>Atl or NY—>Chi). But flying to & from the west is always delayed.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea which is why I generally avoid connecting flights at all cost. I'd rather drive 2 hours to Phoenix, then fly out of there non-stop.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yea which is why I generally avoid connecting flights at all cost. I'd rather drive 2 hours to Phoenix, then fly out of there non-stop.
As someone who flies a lot... I am so glad I get to fly out of Tucson even though I usually have to connect.

Where else can you go from curb to gate in 10 minutes.... every time you fly?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For east coast and international flights, I drive the two hours to sfo. I hate connecting and avoid it when I can.

For California/Arizona/PNW/Colorado flights, sac is just fine, similar to the experience at Tucson with getting to car and on the road quick.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve been flying in and out of small airports lately (Asheville NC, San Antonio, Springfield MO, NW Arkansas) and it has been nice.

Flying into Atlanta last week was a shock. The traffic. The people. The smells...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Justin's kind of airport.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Looks like where I flew into on Exuma. Except there’s no crashed plane off to the side of the runway.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BTW, NW Arkansas is really nice. Got that Walmart/Tyson Foods money.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love flying out of Tucson...if I'm going somewhere nonstop. Which is only a handful of options. One time I decided to go see a friend in Denver last minute for a weekend. Plane left at 4:30, I decided at 3:00 I wanted to go. Booked the flight, packed, drove 25 mins to the airport, parked, got a shuttle, went through security and was waiting at the gate by 3:55.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:Looks like where I flew into on Exuma. Except there’s no crashed plane off to the side of the runway.
Nice when did you go to Exuma!?!

We honeymooned at the sandals there in 2012. That was a cool funky little airport.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Chicat wrote:Looks like where I flew into on Exuma. Except there’s no crashed plane off to the side of the runway.
Nice when did you go to Exuma!?!

We honeymooned at the sandals there in 2012. That was a cool funky little airport.
Did a day excursion there while we were in the Bahamas in March.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Yea which is why I generally avoid connecting flights at all cost. I'd rather drive 2 hours to Phoenix, then fly out of there non-stop.
As someone who flies a lot... I am so glad I get to fly out of Tucson even though I usually have to connect.

Where else can you go from curb to gate in 10 minutes.... every time you fly?
Burbank. I used to love the one JetBlue redeye to JFK back in the days when we had a ton of deal closings in NY.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Loved Burbank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

LK, UA05, or any other LA cats...hows this new ride sharing/taxi LAX pickup going?

I'll need to use it this Sat Am...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:LK, UA05, or any other LA cats...hows this new ride sharing/taxi LAX pickup going?

Not from LA but I've seen several articles and things about it....it's an unmitigated nightmare and disaster. Over 1 hour wait times. Not enough shuttles. People having to wait 20 minutes at the terminal to then ride out to this off-site parking lot and then standing there waiting for an hour for a ride. Uber drivers are sitting in 1-2 hour traffic jams to just get into this lot to pick up people. Basically LAX completely botched it and made everything worse than before. Don't be surprised if you don't get to your destination for like 2 hours after you actually land.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah that’s what I read as well.

I heard they made some changes I’m also touching done at 830am on a sat and the twitter feed had one minute waits for taxis at that time this past Saturday:

I gonna to forego the shuttle and hoof it and hope the the best.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:LK, UA05, or any other LA cats...hows this new ride sharing/taxi LAX pickup going?

I have a 630 am flight on Wednesday morning so I'll find out soon.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Yea let us know how it goes. Have a flight from/to LAX next month but I think I'll end up using overpriced onsite parking.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Yea let us know how it goes. Have a flight from/to LAX next month but I think I'll end up using overpriced onsite parking.
Ended up just having my gf drop me off and pick me up. Traffic on the inner part of the arrivals loop is a total fucking nightmare because the outer loop is only open to parking lot and uber/lyft lot busses. There did seem to be a ton of the busses though so they may have at least sorted that part out. I didn't get a chance to see how the uber/lyft dropoff was actually working though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m gonna hoof it to the lot and get a taxi

Based on times at 9am over the past few rays that has seemed the most expedient
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’ll chime in on the taxi ride over tomorrow.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hate you so fucking much LAX
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck you lax, fuck you so fucking much.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ok...bad but not that bad.

Arrival time 8 o’clock hour in a Saturday am.

Lax-it was better than I anticipated. Still the same stupid lax in efficiencies though.

1. Touch down at 815am
2. 20 minute taxi to satellite terminal east of terminal 7.
3. 10 minute bus ride to terminal 5, no pedestrian exit from satellite
4. Hop on empty lax exit bus, told it would leave in one minute, three other empty busses behind.
5. Large numbers of people in 2 families hop on dragging all their shit needed storage, meanwhile the three empty buses leave for next terminal. 7minute wait.
6. But since we were full and the other busses needed to stop of subsequent terminals we leapfrogged them and when straight to the lot. 5min ride.
7. At lot a whole mess of people waiting for uber and lyft, fuck that, into the second taxi in line where there was no line.
8. Off we go! Less than a minute at lot.

I still hate LAX for it’s cramped spaces, taxiway loss time, and permanent construction, and needed to always take a bus everywhere it seems, but my experience with lax-it was seemless once the the shuttle started moving. I’m sure that is completely dependent on time of day day of week usage.

If in a hurry like I was, id avoid uber and lyft and just bite the bullet and pay for the taxi.

Just looked at the meter en route and I’m gonna have a nice fare to Long Beach but for today it’s ok. Most other times, I’d just wait for the ride sharing service.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ok...bad but not that bad.

Arrival time 8 o’clock hour in a Saturday am.

Lax-it was better than I anticipated. Still the same stupid lax in efficiencies though.

1. Touch down at 815am
2. 20 minute taxi to satellite terminal east of terminal 7.
3. 10 minute bus ride to terminal 5, no pedestrian exit from satellite
4. Hop on empty lax exit bus, told it would leave in one minute, three other empty busses behind.
5. Large numbers of people in 2 families hop on dragging all their shit needed storage, meanwhile the three empty buses leave for next terminal. 7minute wait.
6. But since we were full and the other busses needed to stop of subsequent terminals we leapfrogged them and when straight to the lot. 5min ride.
7. At lot a whole mess of people waiting for uber and lyft, fuck that, into the second taxi in line where there was no line.
8. Off we go! Less than a minute at lot.

I still hate LAX for it’s cramped spaces, taxiway loss time, and permanent construction, and needed to always take a bus everywhere it seems, but my experience with lax-it was seemless once the the shuttle started moving. I’m sure that is completely dependent on time of day day of week usage.

If in a hurry like I was, id avoid uber and lyft and just bite the bullet and pay for the taxi.

Just looked at the meter en route and I’m gonna have a nice fare to Long Beach but for today it’s ok. Most other times, I’d just wait for the ride sharing service.
Haven’t we had the “never fly American Eagle” discussion before? That’s a rookie mistake.

I think the plan is to tear down the Eagle remote stand when they build T9 though.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah. That’s all I could get from sac first thing because sac is a janky regional airport.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ok I’m about to rage...

Stuck in shitty delta lax terminal 3

There food options are trash, the bar keg is tapped on the first two I requested, I’ve been up since 430, and I see all these sun devil bb fuckers running around with their gear waiting for their connection to Phoenix from their China trip.

Give me a few and I might get mouthy...advice?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s a solid idea.

My Uber/taxi fare from lax to LB and back (again constrained by meeting times and flight options between smf vs lax and LB) was the same cost as my RT flight.