Airports Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Airports Thread

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

If I pulled that prank on my dad, his foot would still be broke off in my ass.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Flew to Tokyo Haneda two weeks ago to visit my daughter and family, and has to say JAL, Haneda, and AA International at LAX reminds me so much of Southwest Airlines in the 1970s. Every flight attendant must have to go through weight standards and beauty training, they are gorgeous.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:14 pm Flew to Tokyo Haneda two weeks ago to visit my daughter and family, and has to say JAL, Haneda, and AA International at LAX reminds me so much of Southwest Airlines in the 1970s. Every flight attendant must have to go through weight standards and beauty training, they are gorgeous.
You need to take more international flights - Emirates, Singapore Air, etc...The talent is amazing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 am You need to take more international flights - Emirates, Singapore Air, etc...The talent is amazing.
My daughter and her family are going to Singapore next month. But don't think I will ask her about the talent, maybe my son-in-law.

Then they are off to Thailand, which I imagine might be just as good.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:26 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 am You need to take more international flights - Emirates, Singapore Air, etc...The talent is amazing.
My daughter and her family are going to Singapore next month. But don't think I will ask her about the talent, maybe my son-in-law.

Why does Aqualung from Jethro Tull come to mind talking about this?

:lol:
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:47 pm
Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:26 am

Why does Aqualung from Jethro Tull come to mind talking about this?

:lol:
Stand up comedian Whitney Cummings says most guys fantasize about petite Asian gals dressed in Catholic school unis and surgical masks.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:01 pm Stand up comedian Whitney Cummings says most guys fantasize about petite Asian gals dressed in Catholic school unis and surgical masks.
Didn't see all that many masks in Japan except on the train, although more than here, but plenty of Japanese in school girls uniforms which I will just leave it at that.

And just to follow-up on ECC's comment

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Flew through Chicago-Midway last week for the first time since late 2017. Midway's most memorable feature - the very sizable food court and concessions area just past the central security gates where Midway's three terminals branch off - is boarded up and undergoing major renovations.

From Midway's website: "The first significant upgrade to Midway International Airport’s concessions program in nearly 20 years will deliver new local offerings, national brands, new healthy options and expanded retail offerings by 2020. Total concessions area will increase from 44,000 square feet to 70,000 square feet. When done, this program will include 37 food and beverage locations, 37 retail locations featuring more than 50 new brands to the airport, and making food and shopping available in all concourses. To construct an expansion and renovation of all new and existing concessions locations, Midway Partnership LLC is investing $75 million. The redevelopment program will double the number of concessions jobs from 700 to 1,400."

"...locations to be completed by end of 2020."

But obviously COVID caused delays.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I have seen people wearing multiple layers of clothes to avoid paying for checked luggage.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:04 pm I have seen people wearing multiple layers of clothes to avoid paying for checked luggage.
But how would they fit in 1 seat? Wouldn't they have to buy a second seat which would defeat the purpose? :lol:

I'm so sick of airports, especially now with strong chance of being delayed, the family and I are driving this Friday to our vacation spot (Hilton Head). Hopefully, we won't become below:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We drive almost everywhere now. Can't stand flying unless it's absolutely necessary. Most newer cars drive themselves most of the way so it's not as stressful as it once was
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I hate flying anymore. Already dreading the flight from Tucson to Minneapolis I'm taking in September with my poor kid. Driving the 4 hours to Pinetop in my new minivan with all the bells and whistles was great.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

It was a blessing in disguise when my company sidelined us from flying for work travel during the Covid lockdowns. They asked me to drive to assignments in Portland several times. Was able to make roadtrips of seeing a number of sights I'd been waiting to see since I was a kid: Big Sur, the wineries through Napa and Sonoma, Redwoods Nat'l Park, Humboldt State Park, the Chandelier Drive-Thru Tree, the sea stacks along the Oregon Coast, and all the remote towns along California's coast into Oregon - Ft. Bragg, Eureka, Crescent City, Brookings, Bandon, Coos Bay, and Cannon Beach.

If I don't need the time-convenience, would rather drive at this point.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

First time flying through Fresno last week, formally known as Fresno Yosemite International Airport. Tucson sized with one long terminal that elevates to a newer, roomier concourse with jet bridges.

Even though Yosemite and several National Forests are over a two hour drive away, Fresno's airport embraces this Sierra Nevada identity more than its more immediate San Joaquin Valley setting of dusty farmland; see its walkway recreating a life size experience of Sequoia forests:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

One of my best friends works logistics for Air Force One at Boeing. President Biden is going to the Grand Canyon tonight and they are actually landing right there at KCGN. 9000 foot runway at 6600 foot elevation- he said that doesn't leave a lot of room for error.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Updated SFO is awesome (at least Terminal 1 is)

Sky Harbor still the GOAT. Terminal 3 is amazing now and the new stuff to the additional D gates in Terminal 4 are going to be absolutely amzing.

Recent airports I have been to. Oakland-Sucks O'Hare is still awful and Atlanta is pretty solid
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I flew Southwest with a connection in San Diego. Never again. I had to leave security to make my connection. I bet that was a pretty nice airport pre-9/11, but it's awful now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've only flown once in the last 6 years and it was ok. But I'm dreading my flights for my wedding coming up in late September. I'm flying southwest from Albuquerque to Baltimore then to Boston. I'm having nightmares about cancellations and lost luggage and my wedding trip being ruined.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SFO all terminals - eats PHX for lunch.

SFO is GOAT.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:24 pm Austin TX - Much larger than expected, which, as I learned, makes sense given how Austin metro has doubled their population since my 90s childhood living in the San Antonio/Austin corridor (1995 - 1.0 Mil; 2020 - 2.2 Mil).
Two recent trips to Texas last month. More time in/out of the Austin Airport. Stayed one night at Hilton's Austin Airport location. A donut shaped complex with a history as an Air Force reserve base, serving as strategic command center during the Vietnam and Persian Gulf Wars. Due to its top heavy military staffing, it was often referred to as "The Little Pentagon" or "The Roundagon." Below the building was a reinforced bunker designated one of only three locations where the President could be housed in the event of a nuclear attack.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Train issue.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Impeach Buttigieg!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I hate the Denver airport. It was designed by someone who obviously had never flown commercial before in their lives.

The fact that in order to leave that hellhole you have to take that stupid train was a truly stupid decision. Why can’t I just walk? Oh, because you spread the airport out over 8 square miles? Great job.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:45 pm
3. Honolulu Hawaii - Right as you deboard the plane it feels like you've been in Hawaii for a while. The open-air terminals allow the salt rich Pacific air to really wake you up from those long Mainland flights. And, appropriately, it's about the friendliest airport.
Flying through Honolulu earlier this week. Between the airport's terminals there are cultural gardens described best by the Airport's website:

"The cultural gardens display the influence of the Hawaiian, Chinese and Japanese heritage upon “island living” in the State of Hawaii. Pathways, bridges and stepping stones connect the three gardens. Waterways flow among these garden ponds and lakes to symbolize the intermingling of the cultures in Hawaii. Sculptures from various artists may also be found in the gardens."

Notice the open air walkways connecting different terminals:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Sky Harbor slammed last Sunday. Final Four, Biker Week, but also the eclipse. Much of the take-offs out of PHX depend on earlier flights from the East arriving on time. My plane home was two hours late to the gate. Much of the traffic out east was backlogged with all the traffic coordinating for the eclipse.

VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Anyone have any experience at the Charles DeGaulle airport in Paris? If so, was wondering if anyone has transferred between terminals 2E to 2F. Have heard different things about how long it'll take to get from one to the other and go back through security and passport control. The airport says 40 minutes. Other things I've seen says an hour. We have an hour and 20 minutes to catch a connecting flight. The one good thing is the flight we need to get to has been consistently late taking off, as much as 30 minutes.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

VegasCatFan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:55 pm Anyone have any experience at the Charles DeGaulle airport in Paris? If so, was wondering if anyone has transferred between terminals 2E to 2F. Have heard different things about how long it'll take to get from one to the other and go back through security and passport control. The airport says 40 minutes. Other things I've seen says an hour. We have an hour and 20 minutes to catch a connecting flight. The one good thing is the flight we need to get to has been consistently late taking off, as much as 30 minutes.
Never been through CDG but with an hour 20 to transit any major airport system run by the French I'd be a little bit nervous given the details:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel ... in-an-hour

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

VegasCatFan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:55 pm Anyone have any experience at the Charles DeGaulle airport in Paris? If so, was wondering if anyone has transferred between terminals 2E to 2F. Have heard different things about how long it'll take to get from one to the other and go back through security and passport control. The airport says 40 minutes. Other things I've seen says an hour. We have an hour and 20 minutes to catch a connecting flight. The one good thing is the flight we need to get to has been consistently late taking off, as much as 30 minutes.
I would be really concerned. 2E to 2F means leave plane, walk, passport control, walk, shuttle bus, walk, security, passport control, walk, find gate.

I’ve never done that in CDG. I’d be looking at other options.

Where are you headed?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We were in Charles de Gaulle Airport about a year and a half ago and don't remember any issues. When we landed we had about two hours to catch a train and made it with no problem.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

wyo-cat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:24 pm
I would be really concerned. 2E to 2F means leave plane, walk, passport control, walk, shuttle bus, walk, security, passport control, walk, find gate.

Where are you headed?
I watched a video on YouTube (love YouTube for these things) that showed someone going from near the gate we're arriving in at 2E going to right near the gate we're taking off at in 2F. They only had to go through one security and one passport control. Took them about an hour, but I know things can take a bit longer sometimes. The good thing is it's booked all the way through on one ticket so if need be they'll rebook us.

Going from Paris to Naples and then catching a shuttle to Positano on the Amalfi Coast for a few days. Done the main cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, so we're doing some smaller things, and preparing to drink a lot of wine. After Positano, going to Siena, and then Varenna at Lake Como. Leaving on Saturday for two weeks. That's why we work hard, so we can enjoy things like this.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

VegasCatFan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:39 pm
wyo-cat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:24 pm

Where are you headed?
I watched a video on YouTube (love YouTube for these things) that showed someone going from near the gate we're arriving in at 2E going to right near the gate we're taking off at in 2F. They only had to go through one security and one passport control. Took them about an hour, but I know things can take a bit longer sometimes. The good thing is it's booked all the way through on one ticket so if need be they'll rebook us.

Going from Paris to Naples and then catching a shuttle to Positano on the Amalfi Coast for a few days. Done the main cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, so we're doing some smaller things, and preparing to drink a lot of wine. After Positano, going to Siena, and then Varenna at Lake Como. Leaving on Saturday for two weeks. That's why we work hard, so we can enjoy things like this.
Positano lives like a dream in my early childhood memory. Was first there when I was 4. Returned in my 40s. I hope you have a wonderful time.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

As a married couple we have never checked bags. 34 years ago I married a very sensible woman.

~ Wilhoit's Law