Dallas, Tx

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cats101

Dallas, Tx

Post by cats101 »

I was going to put this in the work status update thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

I recently received a job offer for a company in Irving and I'm contemplating the move. I've only been once and it was, unfortunately, only through the airport. Any thoughts on which areas to live (~$1,200 rent), places to see/visit? restaurants? general thoughts on Dallas/Texas? Any input would be appreciated.
rgdeuce

Re: Dallas, Tx

Post by rgdeuce »

I'm not going to be too much help, especially with the specifics, but I've visited once and liked it and would consider living there if the move was right. I don't know how I would deal with all of those Cowboys fans, but I should already be used to them living in Tucson.

I have three friends who live in that area. I think whether you like it there or not will largely depend on your personality. Two friends are single and though they love the women, professional sports, and the dining, both have expressed something along the lines of: there is a lot to do here, but it costs money and I am always getting to a point where I am almost broke and need to back off until payday. They both looked at the tax breaks and how much house they could get for their dollar thinking they were going to live like kings. But they are always at Rangers games, college football games, etc, and frequently going to country music festivals and out on the town. They say you have to spend all that money or you will be bored out of your mind there. And these are two guys who I would consider fiscally responsible people.

A female friend has lived there with her husband and two kids the last four or five years and they love it. They are very conservative and religious and have linked up with their church and met a lot of cool natives with boats and the like, and like to involve them in outdoors stuff. She is a stay at home mom, and I highly doubt her husband pulls in more than I do, and definitely not as much as my wife and I minus childcare for two. They ARE living like kings. A huge beautiful house and genuinely seem happy. I see lots of photos and they are almost always outside doing something. I know stay at home moms obviously influence more family time than two working parents, but it seems like a great place to raise kids and like Tucson, a slower-paced city that allows you a good amount of time to spend with your friends/family.

I think if you are a conservative family guy, you will probably love it. If you aren't, you may or may not. I have another friend who lasted two years and bounced because they could not handle the stereotypical white republican texan and their personalities. Of my two male friends, one is super conservative and the other is moderate/apathetic, and they get along fine with the people.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Avoid Denton. Dry county.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My mom lives now in Euless, right by the airport since she works for American. Easy access to freeways to get places. Centrally located in the metro area. Seemed nice.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

cats101 wrote:I was going to put this in the work status update thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

I recently received a job offer for a company in Irving and I'm contemplating the move. I've only been once and it was, unfortunately, only through the airport. Any thoughts on which areas to live (~$1,200 rent), places to see/visit? restaurants? general thoughts on Dallas/Texas? Any input would be appreciated.
Been to Dallas a bunch but haven't spent time there recently so I wouldn't be much help. If you are desperate let me know and I'll hook you up with some friends that recently lived in Lower Greenville (trendy area with lots o hotties).

Personally Dallas just feels like a concrete jungle to me. Not as much as Houston but close. The people I know that live there really like it though, for what it's worth. PM me if you want anything more specific.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Too many Texans living in and around Dallas for my taste.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I have one friend who lives there and loves it. He also loves country music and is a hardcore conservative. *shrug*

I have heard that property tax is extremely high.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:Too many Texans living in and around Dallas for my taste.
What's the percentage of Texans in Dallas you think? I'm guessing in excess of 85% maybe.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Thanks for the feedback. Personally Texas was never on my list of places to relocate but this kind of just landed on my lap out of nowhere. I like Tucson and would rather move to California with the right job. San Diego seems like they have a weak job market for what it cost to live there.

Grew up in Phoenix and personally don't like it at all. Dallas sounds like Phoenix but with a better urban core? I'm really hesitant to accept (gonna make a counter-offer) but the job market seems strong there for future opportunities.

26, like outdoor activities, single. I'm pretty diverse, down to try new things. HATE the cowboys, I can just imagine the amount of fans they have there. I have an old coworkers who I don't talk to anymore who lived there for 2 short years and I remember him saying "Texas is different but Dallas has great BBQ." Not sure if that's good or bad..
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I bet you'll be fine in Dallas. I had a girlfriend who moved there unwillingly and thrived. She was from Albuquerque and Tucson, loved Santa Barbara where we lived together, and hated Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix. Once she moved to Dallas, she realized it has a lot going for it. Any city that size does. One thing you'll get into is the steak houses.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Too many Texans living in and around Dallas for my taste.
What's the percentage of Texans in Dallas you think? I'm guessing in excess of 85% maybe.

I had no idea it was that high. Worse than I thought.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea property tax is crazy. Someone who moved from az to tex was shocked at having to pay like 5 times as much.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cheap gas, my daughter is now living in San Antonio and really likes paying $1.87 after moving from San Diego.

But she doesn't really care for Texans. She does like Austin though due to all the Californians living there.

She hates the weather too. She should be moving back to Cali in a few weeks after her husband finishes his training.

I have a couple of Tucson nieces playing college soccer in Del Rio. Says Texan boys are really polite, but they would never date one.

From what I hear, Dallas is the most Texas city, but don't really know anything about it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My property taxes are $1500 a year on a $130,000 home.
Kiyama

Post by Kiyama »

I lived in Oakcliff for a year back in 2009. The area is a mix, there are million dollar homes and some affordable rentals. There are lots of Latinos, so I felt comfortable and some good places to eat and get food. Though I think it may be too far to Irving... traffic in Dallas was crazy tons of bottle necks in highways. I remember Grand Prairie having its nice areas and it is just south of Irving.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

November 22 is a date where an event in Dallas, Texas changed the course of history for the planet forever.

I'm of course talking about Creed's halftime show at the Cowboys game.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:03 am November 22 is a date where an event in Dallas, Texas changed the course of history for the planet forever.

I'm of course talking about Creed's halftime show at the Cowboys game.
Who the fuck are Creed???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If someone told me they saw Creed in concert, my first thought would have been this guy.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dang how old do you have to be to not know a band that hasn't been popular for over 20 years!?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:13 pm If someone told me they saw Creed in concert, my first thought would have been this guy.

I’d rather see him!!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:47 pm Dang how old do you have to be to not know a band that hasn't been popular for over 20 years!?
There’s a difference between knowing that something exists and/or deeming it to be worthy of attention…
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman