Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks for the memories, Alieberman. I used to pay a per-visit fee there because I couldn't afford the membership.

Now I sink $300 a year into our annual neighborhood swimming pool fee. It's hard to believe how high I've risen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I saw the country’s worst Fourth of July fireworks display at the Tucson Racquet Club. 1998 or 1999.

My friend videotaped part of it (yes, with a camcorder) and we played it at 4x speed and it was STILL boring.

And yet, I had a great time. One of my best memories. Long live the Racquet Club.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

I had also forgotten that one of my other old tennis coaches from the TRC days is currently doing about 10 years in the club fed for mortgage fraud.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

pc in NM wrote: I played racquetball there from the opening of the racquetball building - swam laps in the pool several days/week, played pick-up basketball through ‘86, and frequented the bar throughout.... was a nice facility, and was open 24/7, except Thanksgiving & Christmas....
Hung out there in various capacities all the time over the years from the late 70s to late 80s. If we weren't members at the time, somebody else was. Or, we'd sneak in from the Rillito before it was fenced.

The racquetball building hosted the totality of my racquetball career. I've never played anywhere else or since. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:I had also forgotten that one of my other old tennis coaches from the TRC days is currently doing about 10 years in the club fed for mortgage fraud.
Judging by the TRC facilities in the late 90s, he probably feels right at home...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

BearDown89 wrote:
pc in NM wrote: I played racquetball there from the opening of the racquetball building - swam laps in the pool several days/week, played pick-up basketball through ‘86, and frequented the bar throughout.... was a nice facility, and was open 24/7, except Thanksgiving & Christmas....
Hung out there in various capacities all the time over the years from the late 70s to late 80s. If we weren't members at the time, somebody else was. Or, we'd sneak in from the Rillito before it was fenced.

The racquetball building hosted the totality of my racquetball career. I've never played anywhere else or since. :lol:
I was a B/B+ racquetball player when I was there...

... moved to Silver City, NM in '87, and was the king of the hill the three years I was there :lol: ... (Small racquetball community on the WNMU campus...)

Moved to Roswell in '89, much tougher competition locally the next ten years....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Alieberman wrote:We actually do belong to a country club... sort of.... The Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club... it's the most Tucson place ever. We love it.
haha Im at TRC twice a week in a sand volleyball league. Its more of a drinking league though. $11.50 pitchers! Great chicken wings too.

Not much has changed there at all. The body count in the bar is now at 13. Yes, 13 people have died according to the older bartender. Most of them happen on the staircase heading down
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Jefe wrote:
Alieberman wrote:We actually do belong to a country club... sort of.... The Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club... it's the most Tucson place ever. We love it.
haha Im at TRC twice a week in a sand volleyball league. Its more of a drinking league though. $11.50 pitchers! Great chicken wings too.

Not much has changed there at all. The body count in the bar is now at 13. Yes, 13 people have died according to the older bartender. Most of them happen on the staircase heading down
Do they still have that sweet circa 1985 projection "big" screen tv in the bar? Spent a lot of summer afternoons watching the game show network or ESPN 2 up there after tennis camp.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

legallykenny wrote:Do they still have that sweet circa 1985 projection "big" screen tv in the bar? Spent a lot of summer afternoons watching the game show network or ESPN 2 up there after tennis camp.
They do not. They upgraded the TVs in the dining room a while back and most are 50"+ and we always get UA audio on gamedays. The bar TVs are still pretty outdated but they still have free popcorn

They still do the Friday night BBQs/Live Music outside but I havent been. I heard they do a whole pig roast as well
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I suspect this is the wrong thread, but I'm furnishing my new house in all Copenhagen. It's the wrong thread because I thought I remember Copenhagen being expensive, and now I find them to be cheap.

What changed? Me or Copenhagen? It's got to be Copenhagen. I'm not on the rise in the world.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I bought a new electric toothbrush for $25 on Amazon. That's a big purchase for me.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I recently bought:

1) $170 pillow that has done wonders for the pinched nerve in my neck
2) $99 bone conduction headphones so I can have situational awareness while walking the dog

and I've been looking at $300 watches but haven't pulled the trigger.

I feel like a pauper in this thread.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:I recently bought:

2) $99 bone conduction headphones so I can have situational awareness while walking the dog

You're about in my price range for shit and I feel the same way haha
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You're a filthy rich sultan with purchases like those.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Then it's cheap at thrice the price. Good for you. As with toilet paper I'm a pillow snob. Cost be damned!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just picked up three suits from Brooks Brothers.

The wife turned three shades of purple when she saw the credit card statement.

*shrug*
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:Just picked up three suits from Brooks Brothers.

*shrug*
Damn!! How many funerals and weddings do you have to attend??? :lol:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:Just picked up three suits from Brooks Brothers.

*shrug*
Post some pics. Can't wait to see you in Swiss banker brown.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've never owned more than 1 suit at a time.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:I've never owned more than 1 suit at a time.
Peasant.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I think I own 2 now. But actually since moving to the corporate world 1.5 years ago I've stopped wearing any suits or ties. No need.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I now attend three to four day conferences and I travel every other week (or three weeks in a row this month).

1 suit ain’t gonna cut it.
dovecanyoncat wrote:Post some pics. Can't wait to see you in Swiss banker brown.
Ha, no brown for me. I own 1 light gray, 1 dark gray, 1 navy blue, 1 windowpane blue.

I feel like I need a black tux and an Obama Special (tan). Don’t tell the wife...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Shit I'm going to a conference in Chicago in September and refuse to wear a suit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Shit I'm going to a conference in Chicago in September and refuse to wear a suit.
If you’re not selling anything or hosting, there’s no reason to wear one.

In fact, it’s a power move NOT to wear one.

My power move is not wearing a tie. Ties are for junior nobodies trying to impress the VP of Bullshit.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Shit I'm going to a conference in Chicago in September and refuse to wear a suit.
If you’re not selling anything or hosting, there’s no reason to wear one.

In fact, it’s a power move NOT to wear one.

My power move is not wearing a tie. Ties are for junior nobodies trying to impress the VP of Bullshit.
Andrew Yang approves.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I went to the same conference last year and was surprised how many people were wearing suits that were presenting.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on this bad boy. How can I say no to a stand-alone Bluetooth speaker by Master and Dynamic, with the concrete housing designed by architect David Adjaye? Very badass. And it has a metal grille, so my cats can’t fuck up the speakers. My main problem is that it won’t work as a speaker for my TV, which I’ve been meaning to get to as well. I had a sonos playbar but I sold it before moving back to the US. I guess I could get both? What good is money doing languishing in a bank account anyway, right? Right?!

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Post some pics. Can't wait to see you in Swiss banker brown.
Ha, no brown for me. I own 1 light gray, 1 dark gray, 1 navy blue, 1 windowpane blue.

I feel like I need a black tux and an Obama Special (tan). Don’t tell the wife...
OK, so now I have to ask, since my Brooks Brothers suit is vintage (snort!), that is to say, it's cut to allow for the presence of testicles and the execution of common domestic hominid movement: do your three new BB suits button across your chest like a bustier?; can you reach your left ear with your right hand? ; do your armpits feel like a Middle East hostage wearing a hood duct taped into the back of a cramped taxi?

I look at guys 'round about my age who are imprisoned in the cut of today's suits .... Stephen Colbert, for example .... and it looks like he needs desperately to take a shit, but since he lives in a world the ergonomics of which are designed around the dimensions of his constipated infant brother, he can't find a baby potty that'll work for him. In short, he looks fucking miserable. He can't even fart a proper fart, much less cross his legs hernia free. To look at his watch he'll break a rib.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

OK, so now I have to ask, since my Brooks Brothers suit is vintage (snort!), that is to say, it's cut to allow for the presence of testicles and the execution of common domestic hominid movement: do your three new BB suits button across your chest like a bustier?; can you reach your left ear with your right hand? ; do your armpits feel like a Middle East hostage wearing a hood duct taped into the back of a cramped taxi?

I look at guys 'round about my age who are imprisoned in the cut of today's suits .... Stephen Colbert, for example .... and it looks like he needs desperately to take a shit, but since he lives in a world the ergonomics of which are designed around the dimensions of his constipated infant brother, he can't find a baby potty that'll work for him. In short, he looks fucking miserable. He can't even fart a proper fart, much less cross his legs hernia free. To look at his watch he'll break a rib.

Just go with the Trump cut.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Just go with the Trump cut.
Ouch. Forget I brought it up.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I purchased a more classic cut and then had them tailored to a more modern (skinny) cut. When fashions change, I’ll have them let out.

Momma didn’t raise no dummy...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They aren't good for movement but modern cut suits just look so much better on most men than the massive baggy zoot suits of 15-25 years ago.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

As someone with skinny arms and legs and somewhat of a gut (yet is 6'2") I can appreciate parts of the modern skinny cut suits. Can make my arms and legs look well fitted without making my gut look too bad. I got married in a nice blue suit at 225 lbs and looked pretty good I must say.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i just bought four second row seats behind the plate when the Padres visit the Giants on the 31st, and booked the One & Only Palmilla in December for four nights - does that count?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:i just bought four second row seats behind the plate when the Padres visit the Giants on the 31st, and booked the One & Only Palmilla in December for four nights - does that count?
It counts double for having nothing to do with each other, other than the fact that you're officially outrageous.

Get the bone-in ribeye for two at Sear, but eat it all yourself.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:
It counts double for having nothing to do with each other, other than the fact that you're officially outrageous.
:lol: :lol:
Longhorned wrote:Get the bone-in ribeye for two at Sear, but eat it all yourself.
tell me more about this place?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:i just bought four second row seats behind the plate when the Padres visit the Giants on the 31st, and booked the One & Only Palmilla in December for four nights - does that count?
Can you adopt me? I eat a lot but do my own dishes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Get the bone-in ribeye for two at Sear, but eat it all yourself.
tell me more about this place?
I don't know, I looked it up on the internets. Made me hungry for steak. End of report.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Can you adopt me? I eat a lot but do my own dishes.
:lol:

if youre eating im buying!

as for live sports, im coming to Chicago in May of next year, i'll wrangle some good tickets to a Blackhawks game and lets do it!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote: Can you adopt me? I eat a lot but do my own dishes.
:lol:

if youre eating im buying!

as for live sports, im coming to Chicago in May of next year, i'll wrangle some good tickets to a Blackhawks game and lets do it!
Fuck yes!!!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RT business class to Melbourne X 2. The rest of it soon to follow.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:RT business class to Melbourne X 2. The rest of it soon to follow.
2 days ago found sfo to cdg (paris), non stop, 4 RT tickets for 395 a piece. For June 2020.

It would’ve been wrong not to buy them
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:RT business class to Melbourne X 2. The rest of it soon to follow.
2 days ago found sfo to cdg (paris), non stop, 4 RT tickets for 395 a piece. For June 2020.

Booking the domestic bookend flights, and boy is BOA Visa getting hyper security conscious. Next time they'll want a stool sample.

BTW that price you got really rocks.

~ Wilhoit's Law
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Going to cost more to upgrade to economy+ than the base tickets??

The cost bump from economy to business class on international flights right now is unreal.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

The cost bump from economy to business class on international flights right now is unreal.
It makes one feel morally culpable. I fob it off on age and do so without deceit. 16 hours +/- is tough on the body frame and system. Feeling absolutely wrecked for 48 hours after arrival is a non-trivial cost.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

Yup, and I used the carrier website, not an aggregate. I was floored.

Unfortunately I’ll be going with my two kids so we’ll all suffer in economy and save the fees for better lodging.

When flying alone I always use miles to bump up to business on international flights.

Great point dove, at what age does jet lag stop being cured by a good first nights sleep and heaping bowl of yummy local delicacies?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: ....at what age does jet lag stop being cured by a good first nights sleep and heaping bowl of yummy local delicacies?
If it were only jet lag I'd say it was just past 50 for me personally. But skeletal stress really rules throughout life. Sitting is death on a stick, as bad for you as smoking tobacco. On long flights hip flexors shorten and torque the low back. I can't sleep unless I'm leaning against a window but I can't tolerate the window seat torment to my legs. So, it's either lie-flat or lobotomy.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

There are still times when premium class (first, business) tickets are offered at prices that are less than the economy version. When it happens, I actually have to pay more for the economy class ticket. Because my university won't reimburse me for premium class tickets, even when they are cheaper.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

All inclusive stay at a resort in Mexico for a week next spring, yes or no?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:All inclusive stay at a resort in Mexico for a week next spring, yes or no?
I’m not a fan of all inclusives. The food blows and the drinks are usually trash. I’d rather pay for every meal and know it’s not going to be some generic bland bullshit.

Always seems like a good deal before we go and a rip off when we come back.