Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:Did you order it last Sept!? Still looking for a deal on one.
No, just like a week ago or whatever. I totally forgot you were looking for one, but Design Within Reach had a sale that took 15% off the cost. I'm really sorry. My wife found out about it and I told her to jump on it, and my life was nuts with the newborn and I'd forgotten about this thread until I was sitting in the chair in my living room. I'm sure it will happen again.

I did see that the chair was made in September of 2015. It was just waiting in some warehouse for someone to buy it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote:
No, just like a week ago or whatever. I totally forgot you were looking for one, but Design Within Reach had a sale that took 15% off the cost. I'm really sorry.
No worries, I'm trying to find a slightly used one for half what they go for
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
No, just like a week ago or whatever. I totally forgot you were looking for one, but Design Within Reach had a sale that took 15% off the cost. I'm really sorry.
No worries, I'm trying to find a slightly used one for half what they go for
I just got advice about that from a vintage furniture dealer. Basically, it's worth it to let local dealers know that you're ready to buy a used one. Otherwise, the demand is so high that they're sold before you know they're available. When the dealer acquires it, he'll call you. If it isn't the color or whatever you wanted, you'll stay on his list and he'll sell it to the next person on the list.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Oh cool thanks, ill let a few of them know
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm planning a dream kitchen reno...

Subzero fridge
Wolf Range
Miele built in coffee maker
Wine fridge
Marble counter-tops.
Chef's kitchen with island.
Sleek euro modern cabinetry

I'll either be a widower, or my wife will be a widow, after she see's my dream kitchen price tag. eek.

For the record, I just was having some fun this afternoon planning, then I went to look at the price tag for these appliances. Will be paring back significantly. But that's why I'm posting in this thread.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

For the chefs out there, have you ever cooked on a viking/wolf range? Is it that much different than a GE type appliance?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I cook 6 or 7 days a week and it is my dream to have a fancy kitchen someday. For now I deal with a $350 electric range that's 15 years old and I still put out damn good food.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:I cook 6 or 7 days a week and it is my dream to have a fancy kitchen someday. For now I deal with a $350 electric range that's 15 years old and I still put out damn good food.
Thats the biggest reason why I hate the current apartment we are renting. If I had my way, I would be cooking 5-6 days a week, but there's just no storage or counter space to do what I'd like to do, so I don't cook. Its like one big open floor plan involving kitchen, table and chairs, and family room. Wife does her best, but she has the same complaints about the kitchen, and we end up eating out a lot, which is costly.

FTR, I hate open floor plans. Allows too much entropy to take place in a family home IMO.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I used to think I'd want an open kitchen but now I don't. My kitchen now is pretty small and has no dishwasher and a smaller fridge. It's pretty uncomfortable but I make do. I mostly just have a ton of coooking appliances and utensils and ingredients but no room for them
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I was reading recently about what various haute cuisine chefs have in their home kitchens, and it turns out they cook on cheap old stoves and stuff. I think the better home cooks use stuff from hardware stores and medical supply outlets. Those 'top' appliances don't make anyone a better cook. They usually signal people who aren't serious home cooks. I cooked on a Viking in a cooking class. Wouldn't fit in my galley kitchen, and I'd never give up my galley kitchen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Biggest difference is the ease with which you can cook multiple dishes at the same time with the super high end stuff. I bought a top of the line Samsung but the space constraints in our kitchen mean I still can only use two large pans at a time even though I have 5 burners.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea honestly the high end appliances only mean to me that I could cook more shit at once.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'll admit, I'm probably not on the same level as SD or LH, but I know my way around the kitchen and am killer with meats/roasts/sauces and bread.

I want something that looks cool and has a range of heat settings, and a kitchen that would be fun to cook in. A Viking, Thermador, or Wolf, might be a little bit rich for my taste, but I'll research and invest in some high-end range with space for 6 burners. I can do with out a subzero fridge and a lot of the other crap I posted above, but I will spend the money, outrageous purchase yes, when the time comes for a nice range and vent system. Also will renovate with resale value in mind.

For me, cooking is therapy, its one of the few things that while doing, my mind is completely focused to the exclusion of everything else. I love learning about the history of foods and culinary, techniques, pairing etc. Its my creative outlet and am really looking forward to being in a place both space and time-wise to reconnect and cook on a more routine basis.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/a-chefs-kitchen/" target="_blank

Neat article from a chef on what constitutes a chef's kitchen. I really like his points on economy of motion.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Don't listen to me - I just spent 5K on a chair.

I related to that article, especially the part about no clutter. There's nothing on my counters.

What you say about reselling is important. My whole house costs 130K, so leaving behind expensive appliances won't work in my favor.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

If you are in the market for high end kitchen appliances, there are salvage companies out there that take out these appliances from high end renos and resell them at a discount. Sure, they are used but since someone's paycheck was probably riding on taking care of it, they tend to be in good shape. If you live near a major city you will have a lot more to choose from. We used Green Demolition on our projects to haul off old appliances, they have a new name now and have gone national. Googleit.

Congrats on the Eames, Longhorned!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

LBdCactus wrote:If you are in the market for high end kitchen appliances, there are salvage companies out there that take out these appliances from high end renos and resell them at a discount. Sure, they are used but since someone's paycheck was probably riding on taking care of it, they tend to be in good shape. If you live near a major city you will have a lot more to choose from. We used Green Demolition on our projects to haul off old appliances, they have a new name now and have gone national. Googleit.

Congrats on the Eames, Longhorned!
LBd!

Thanks dude, I'll look into it.

I'm still about a good 2 years from a kitchen reno, but never to early to plan.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:For the chefs out there, have you ever cooked on a viking/wolf range? Is it that much different than a GE type appliance?
I have a Viking range. I don't really get the hype. They look nice but a stove is a stove. Running a gas flame is not a particularly intricate process and even cheap ones have decent temperature control. Not something I would have invested in personally but my sellers had just renno'ed the kitchen before they broke up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:For the chefs out there, have you ever cooked on a viking/wolf range? Is it that much different than a GE type appliance?
I have a Viking range. I don't really get the hype. They look nice but a stove is a stove. Running a gas flame is not a particularly intricate process and even cheap ones have decent temperature control. Not something I would have invested in personally but my sellers had just renno'ed the kitchen before they broke up.
That might have been what ended the relationship. Kitchen renos suck hairy donkey balls.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Chicat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
That might have been what ended the relationship. Kitchen renos suck hairy donkey balls.
That probably didn't help. But the guy was a junior producer on shows like The Hills so I have some other theories about what went wrong there. He also never forwarded his mail so I got his invitation to Whitney Port's wedding. Wish I had tried to crash it.

I hope bathroom renos are easier than kitchens because I have that on my to-do list but my AC replacement needs might push that back. Talk about outrageous purchases.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Some of the best food I've ever had was cooked over a fire while camping.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Some of the best food I've ever had was cooked over a fire while camping.
Sounds like a good reason to build a fire in the back yard on yes-burn days.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Some of the best food I've ever had was cooked over a fire while camping.
Sounds like a good reason to build a fire in the back yard on yes-burn days.
Who say's I haven't? :mrgreen:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

There is so mch truth in that Greg.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:There is so mch truth in that Greg.
Dutch oven for the win.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm thinking about taking up mountaineering...and setting a goal of climbing Mt Shasta in 2018.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Looking into dropping several grand on a 3D printer.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAdevil wrote:Looking into dropping several grand on a 3D printer.
Why? For excavated artifacts or something like that? Or for creativity or something like that? I'd fork over maybe $4 for one of those before I started to have buyer's remorse.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
Why? For excavated artifacts or something like that? Or for creativity or something like that? I'd fork over maybe $4 for one of those before I started to have buyer's remorse.
3D printers are awesome.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
3D printers are awesome.
What would you print with one? A naked Sofia Vergara? A sandwich?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:I'm thinking about taking up mountaineering...and setting a goal of climbing Mt Shasta in 2018.
Now that's an expensive hobby. I was randomly in REI a few months ago and I looked at the climbing equipment. Like 5 dollars for 1 carabinier and 150 for climbing shoes at least. Basic climbing gear for 1 person would be hundreds if not thousands of dollars. That doesn't include stuff you'd need if you started climbing ultra high mountains.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
3D printers are awesome.
You mean other than what I've already made with one?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
3D printers are awesome.
You mean other than what I've already made with one?
Okay, what do you make with them? You'd want one at home? I could use one at the "fab lab" at work if I took the time to learn how. But I'm trying to imagine why I'd own one at home.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I'm thinking about taking up mountaineering...and setting a goal of climbing Mt Shasta in 2018.
Now that's an expensive hobby. I was randomly in REI a few months ago and I looked at the climbing equipment. Like 5 dollars for 1 carabinier and 150 for climbing shoes at least. Basic climbing gear for 1 person would be hundreds if not thousands of dollars. That doesn't include stuff you'd need if you started climbing ultra high mountains.
There's a three day expedition to the top of Shasta or Mt. Whitney for about 800-1k, and they provide all the rental gear but yeah, it's a pricey hobby to take up. I don't want to climb Everest or anything, but would like to take advantage of some of the high alpine treks/overnights in the sierras.

I don't want to rock climb up a face per se but would like to be handy with an ice ax and crampons.

I haven't talked to the wife yet, so this idea may die on the vine. Lol
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Okay, what do you make with them? You'd want one at home? I could use one at the "fab lab" at work if I took the time to learn how. But I'm trying to imagine why I'd own one at home.
I work as a mechanical engineer for a small (100 employees) manufacturing facility that specializes in the aerospace industry. We make parts for Honeywell, Meggitt, Securaplane, Aloft, etc. For us 3D printers are pretty new even though I've used one for a few years now. We primarily use them to model R & D parts the check fit up. Boeing is currently using 3D printers in metal and in doing so cutting down costs considerably. I recently heard about a project in which the reduced the amount on parts used to make an engine tail cone assembly by more than half.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bad ass Greg!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Awesome, Greg.

At home, maybe for an artist? I don't think an engineer would pay out of pocket to do work things at home.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Awesome, Greg.

At home, maybe for an artist? I don't think an engineer would pay out of pocket to do work things at home.
I watched a TV show about how Jay Leno uses one to make a lot of the trim pieces on the old cars he rebuilds. he states that most of the small parts he needed are not available so he makes them himself using a 3D printer.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here it is.

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'd mostly be 3D printing models and props for my rather expensive hobby; as an excuse to get drunk and hang with friends every couple month, I produce some really bad indie sci-fi and horror short films...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
97cats

Post by 97cats »

bought a Tesla P100D two months ago

also, i know im late to the party, but i have a WOLF Range and the other feature is that the oven heats and cooks to temp perfectly. other oven may heat unevenly and dont cook by the desired time or specifics but the WOLF is literally on point and exact almost every time.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I turn out some pretty awesome food if I do say so myself in a kitchen with almost 0 storage and about 30 sq feet of floor space and a 15 year old $300 electric range. Can't even imagine what I could do with a real kitchen.

I've somehow crammed in most important utensils and gadgets in the tiny space I do have. Just in the last few months alone I've made all kinds of pickles, jams, preserves, breads, yogurt, smoked meats etc.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wife and I in discussions to reno the kitchen in 2018 or 2019.

I'm not looking forward to 2weeks of take out and plastic sheeting around the house.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

CalStateTempe wrote:
I'm not looking forward to 2weeks of take out and plastic sheeting around the house.
ill take the over
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

I'm an optimistic person in most things, which sometimes can get me in trouble.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

97cats wrote:bought a Tesla P100D two months ago
Bring that thing to Tucson or Phoenix for the Final 4 and lets see how quick it is ;) I picked up a Hellcat a few months ago
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Jefe wrote: Bring that thing to Tucson or Phoenix for the Final 4 and lets see how quick it is ;) I picked up a Hellcat a few months ago
first, im already locked and loaded for the FF in Phx so count me in there.

second, my full charge only gets about 320/330 miles -- that makes it difficult to drive to Phx as im not the guy who wants to stop and charge.

third, its a mother fucking rocket ship -- no joke.

fourth, those Hellcats are gnarly, thats a lot of horsepower!!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I just checked and there's no charging station between Indio and Phoenix(240 miles). What the hell?! Easier to just ship the car to Phoenix....

Ive seen plenty of Tesla vs Hellcat vids, those sub 3 second launches are insane. You would murder me from the get go but Ill catch ya haha. Im putting these tires on next week for a track day in Wilcox though so Ill be ready. These should bring me down to about a 3 second 0 to 60

Last edited by Jefe on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It's not quite the same, but I went nuts this month and purchased an old Intellivision, Nintendo NES, and Xbox One S to pair with my Sega for the ultimate 80's to 2000's video game experience. The best part? I don't play them. I mean, I do, but I don't. I am no one's idea of a gamer. I got Tron's Deadly Discs and Major League Championship Baseball for the Intellivision, which are cool (the baseball is the original, but with 1 player...it still holds up). I only have FIFA 17 for the X Box One, and the Nintendo is still on its way, but I do have one of the cracked 2015 Super Techmo Bowl games, as well as Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Caveman Games (a favorite in my college years) when it gets here. The Sega is my original from college, and I have NHL 94 and 95 as well as Super Techmo Bowl (not as good on Sega) and NBA JAM...the NHL carts are college originals, and still working. I may still pick up an Odyssey2 just to fill the nostalgia void. I also bought a couple of skateboard decks, but reissues (PP Ripper and Guerrero) and a new acoustic bass and 12 string guitar in this recent run of buying shit I do not need.

None of this is a Tesla or Viking, but it is totally outrageous in that none of it is needed, and we are seriously looking at putting our home on the market and moving (in the area), so what the fuck am I doing?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Update. I'm really doing this.

Reading "Freedom of the Hills" like it's the Bible or Harrison's medical textbook.
4day backpacking trip in marble mountain wilderness June 2017
2 day rock climbing, ice self arrest, and crevice rescue course at tioga pass Yosemite in July
3day thru hike in desolation wilderness in august.
A ton of backcountry skiing winter 2017-2018.
3day Avalanche course in truckee feb 2018.
Shasta expedition march/April 2018.

With some planning and knowing where to get the technical gear (not rei) the only major expenses are the courses and the expedition. I already have all the backpacking and ski gear. Will have to probably update to more lightweight versions along the way.

Main goal now is to continue to get fit and work on endurance, so I can get up an back safely. Nutrition too.

I'm not a runner, but I can imagine this is similar to training for a marathon, it forces you to evaluate and make complete lifestyle changes. And I'm ok with cutting out the regular beer and wine if it keeps me from these goals.

Also, I absolutely love living in Sacramento. As a metro area it fits me perfectly, and geographically is within 6hrs of anywhere I'd want to go (LA, SF, Tahoe, Reno, Sierras, Shasta, Napa/Sonoma, Yosemite, Southern Oregon). The only downside the is the airport is still largely a "regional" international airport and that won't change being so close to sfo. But the rare drive to sfo for a flight I want isn't that bad, especially with a place to crash at the inlaws.