Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by rgdeuce »

I was reading about an upcoming Tesla model that will start around $35k MSRP. Very cool cars from the outside. I'm guessing that model will be extremely stripped down, but I may give it a test drive when it comes out to check it out.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Did that Tesla test drive at La Encantada a few weeks ago. The P90D was being used so we got the basic 60. The one we were in was $72k and only had 315hp. I've always had fast cars but I was shocked at how quick the power came on and stayed on for a 4,600lb car. Braking was really cool as well. If you let off the gas quickly it would "engine" brake quickly. Let off the gas slowly it would "engine" brake slowly. If you time it right you literally never use the brake pedal. The sales rep said they have cars with over 120k miles still on the stock brake pads. Its an incredible car. The touch screen interface was amazing as well.

He told me to come back and they'll get me in a P90D. Im heading up to Gila Bend this weekend for some half mile racing and one will be there. Hoping to ride shotgun with my video camera. I added up approx what I spent on my last car plus gas/oil/upgrades and maintenance and I basically could have come out about even on the Model S 60 lol. Id love to get one some day but I think Id rather have a C6Z first

Put your info in here if you want to sign up for the next event

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/drive
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

After having no car for 6 years, I almost fell for a new red Audi S4 Avant last year. Pondered it for about three months and bought an eight year old A4 diesel for less than a third of the price, and now I'm wondering if that was actually a good decision. :(

I did buy one of these on a whim a few years back:

$1200 is a lot for a suitcase and they get dented up really fast. Last forever though, and the dents look cool.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Felt IA 2
And yes at 9,999.00 it's not even the high end one.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You bought it?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

It would be nifty to have enough disposable income to buy a 10 thousand dollar bicycle.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:It would be nifty to have enough disposable income to buy a 10 thousand dollar bicycle.
Seriously....that's a years worth of mortgage payments for most of us
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

and

and

At happy hour set me back 16USD tonight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Jefe wrote:Did that Tesla test drive at La Encantada a few weeks ago. The P90D was being used so we got the basic 60. The one we were in was $72k and only had 315hp. I've always had fast cars but I was shocked at how quick the power came on and stayed on for a 4,600lb car. Braking was really cool as well. If you let off the gas quickly it would "engine" brake quickly. Let off the gas slowly it would "engine" brake slowly. If you time it right you literally never use the brake pedal. The sales rep said they have cars with over 120k miles still on the stock brake pads. Its an incredible car. The touch screen interface was amazing as well.

He told me to come back and they'll get me in a P90D. Im heading up to Gila Bend this weekend for some half mile racing and one will be there. Hoping to ride shotgun with my video camera. I added up approx what I spent on my last car plus gas/oil/upgrades and maintenance and I basically could have come out about even on the Model S 60 lol. Id love to get one some day but I think Id rather have a C6Z first

Put your info in here if you want to sign up for the next event

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/drive
So cool you want to drive a car funded by 4.9 billion in government subsidies, but then again you're likely a boomer with a "Imma gonna get mine, eff you all, especially the poor" mentality, supported by your posting style in the Tucson thread.
VoltronX

Post by VoltronX »

CalStateTempe wrote:Image

and

and

At happy hour set me back 16USD tonight.

That's not bad really.. The beer itself would sell under 2$ at the supermarket here.. 5$ in a restaurant. The sushi looks crazy different.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I just found pictures of the Rainbow Roll and Rock and Roll of the net. Generally I get one roll and a ton of nigiri, but this place has huge rolls for 5 dollars and pint of Kirin for 2.50, everyday between 2:30-5:30pm. And the bar has tv's so hello CATS day games in the future.

Can't wait to go to Japan someday. What does the sushi look like there?
VoltronX

Post by VoltronX »

CalStateTempe wrote:I just found pictures of the Rainbow Roll and Rock and Roll of the net. Generally I get one roll and a ton of nigiri, but this place has huge rolls for 5 dollars and pint of Kirin for 2.50, everyday between 2:30-5:30pm. And the bar has tv's so hello CATS day games in the future.

Can't wait to go to Japan someday. What does the sushi look like there?

I don't think I could find a pint of Kirin for 2.50$ here... (there is no tipping though).. They do offer 2 hour all you can drink add on's to dinner for like 15-20$

The sushi is really really simple here. It's generally just the fish on top of rice..... They don't mix the fish up and you don't see as many of those rolls... really just 1 cut piece of raw fish on 1 rice..
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

scumdevils86 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:It would be nifty to have enough disposable income to buy a 10 thousand dollar bicycle.
I need to move to Arizona. That's less than 4 months worth of mortgage for me and I live in the poor part of town
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I spent $200 on an Indiana stripper.

So what do I win?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

rgdeuce wrote:Contrary to the warnings about hot tubs (eg: the maintenance, you will use it the first year and rarely after that, you will hate it from may-october due to the Tucson heat), I'm strongly considering a Bullfrog hot tub. My wife is always complaining about her back hurting and stress but tells me it would be a bad purchase. My already fragile body is banged up from years of year-round sports and I think it would be a great way to unwind after the kids go down for bed, and help both of us sleep better through the night. The kids will probably love it too.
Hot tubs are GREAT, even in summer in Tucson. You probably won't use in the daytime anytime of the year, there is no particular reason not to, but the nght time is the right time for a hot tub.

We used to go up to Sweetwater Fun Tubs back in the day (That was pushing 40 years ago). All year 'round.

Nothing beats sitting naked in the tub, overlooking the valley, glass of wine, maybe a joint if you are so inclined, watching a lightning storm kicking off over the valley.

Heaven on Earth - go for it.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Gato Salvaje wrote:And yes at 9,999.00 it's not even the high end one.
Walked past a bike shop the other day and the window had 4 bikes ranging from $10,000 to $20,000 (Australian) dollars.

The shop next door had 3 acoustic guitars in the window ranging from 9,500 to 14,000 (Australian) dollars.

EDIT: oh yeah, that was in a lower-middle class neighborhood, just on the verge of gentrification.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Gato Salvaje wrote:Image

Felt IA 2
And yes at 9,999.00 it's not even the high end one.
You didn't mention the $400 shoes, $200 helmet plus whatever else you accessorize your bike with. How about a $1200 power meter? Bike computer? Cycling is crazy expensive. Looking at a $5000 bike myself.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrBug708 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
I need to move to Arizona. That's less than 4 months worth of mortgage for me and I live in the poor part of town
My mortgage is $575 and I got swindled.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah if I bought my house in 2010 instead of 2005 my mortgage would be less than $350/month
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My mortgage is $450 a month but by property taxes are $350 a month. In Brentwood, my same house would have a monthly mortgage of $10,350 per month, but my property taxes would be less.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Mortgage + property tax in Durham is 750 but we are renting for 1300 so it's all good.

My apartment in sac is highway robbery, but it's nice and I can walk to work keeping us a one car family while we save for a house so it's all good.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Longhorned wrote:You bought it?

No....just lusting after it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CalStateTempe wrote:So cool you want to drive a car funded by 4.9 billion in government subsidies, but then again you're likely a boomer with a "Imma gonna get mine, eff you all, especially the poor" mentality, supported by your posting style in the Tucson thread.
A boomer :lol: I was born in the 80s bud

bitches gonna bitch
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

1980's?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:1980's?
Did you miss that decade?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I wish I could have.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Longhorned wrote:What outrageously expensive thing are you thinking about buying? You know, something that you can't justify, that really isn't a financial investment in your home's value or anything else that a financial adviser or family members would approve of. It doesn't make any sense, but you just might do it anyway.

I'm thinking about buying an Eames Chair. A $5,000 chair. I welcome anyone to talk me out of being such an idiot.

I have one along with a Noguchi coffee table to accent it. It's a pretty damned nice chair.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:We are saving for a house.

In California.

I'm not allowed to spend money. The checking alerts for purchases greater than 150 for chase are a far gentler reminder than the text from wife if I so much as purchase a bagel at the neighborhood coop on the way into work. :lol:

I'd rather have it this way than have married a spendthrift.
House? Lucky. I just spent well over a million just to get a townhouse in Santa Monica.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:We are saving for a house.

In California.

I'm not allowed to spend money. The checking alerts for purchases greater than 150 for chase are a far gentler reminder than the text from wife if I so much as purchase a bagel at the neighborhood coop on the way into work. :lol:

I'd rather have it this way than have married a spendthrift.
House? Lucky. I just spent well over a million just to get a townhouse in Santa Monica.

Yeah, but you live in Santa Monica. Sacramento's great and close to SF and Tahoe, but it isn't one of the nicest cities in LA.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Speaking of Tesla...

Elon Musk: Teslas will travel 1,000 km on a single charge "within a year or two" . Will be fully autonomous in three.

http://www.futurologyloaded.com/2015/10 ... km-on.html" target="_blank
Tesla CEO Elon Musk sat down with a Danish TV show last week and had some interesting predictions to share.

Asked, for example, when he thought the company could produce a car that can “break 1,000 kilometers” (or 620 miles) on a single charge, he said his guess would be “within a year or two,” adding, “2017 for sure.”

As readers might recall, a new record was established last month by one enthusiastic Model S owner, who drove a painful 24-miles-per hour to make it a stunning 452.8 miles on a single charge. (The car is advertised as having a 265-mile range.)

Musk didn’t elaborate on whether someone would need to drive just as slowly to reach 620 miles in 2017. We’d guess that’s not what he had in mind, though.

Musk also said that self-driving Tesla cars are around the corner.

Already, owners of Tesla’s Model S models are expecting a software update that will allow their cars to start driving themselves in a hands-free mode that Musk calls “auto pilot.” Musk told the Danish interviewer that the software is still being beta-tested and will “hopefully go into wide release next month.”

(A March New York Times story reported the software would be released this past summer. It also noted that “serious questions remain about whether such autonomous driving is actually legal.”)
Perhaps more notably, Musk is now saying that Tesla cars should have “full autonomy” in “approximately three years.”

As for when regulators are ready to sanction self-driving technologies, they “probably will not allow for full autonomy for one to three years after that,” said Musk. “It depends on the market. Some will be more forward-leaning than others.”

Perhaps emboldened by Musk’s seeming candor, the interviewer also asked Musk what cars will look like 20 years from now.

Musk — who has famously argued that we need to put one million people on Mars to ensure the future of mankind — thought for a second. Then he said matter-of-factly: “I hope civilization is still around in 20 years.”
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Speaking of Denmark..their new right wing government just put a 120% tax on teslas.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUHATER! wrote:Speaking of Denmark..their new right wing government just put a 120% tax on teslas.
Actually make that 180% and them ending their prior Danish pledges to be 100% renewable energy by 2050.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Anytime I think spending $300 on a bottle of cologne is ridiculous, I take the cap off and smell. Stuff is unreal. Some people say the opening smells like cocaine, which I wouldn't know, but my wife says cocaine doesnt have a smell
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

rgdeuce wrote:Image
Anytime I think spending $300 on a bottle of cologne is ridiculous, I take the cap off and smell. Stuff is unreal. Some people say the opening smells like cocaine, which I wouldn't know, but my wife says cocaine doesnt have a smell
60% of the time it works everytime. Well worth it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I own a bottle of Kouros. That is the true definition of a sex panther cologne. :lol:
97cats

Post by 97cats »

nothing beats Creed or Bond -- nothing

and, $575 for a mortgage payment???????????

i wont even get into what my monthly nut is for my family of four where i live because its totally stupid.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

97cats wrote:nothing beats Creed or Bond -- nothing

and, $575 for a mortgage payment???????????

i wont even get into what my monthly nut is for my family of four where i live because its totally stupid.
well, it is $757 now. our flood insurance for our 2 BR townhouse in the desert where it is has rained once in the last 2 months almost tripled for 2016 :x
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I bought some plastic tooth picks. Not wood, PLASTIC!
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Any mortgage payment under even $1,000 is unfathomable to me. I'd feel like a king, I could afford some $300 cologne or that sweet chair LH lusts over.

(I know it's somewhat relative, but damn it kinda sucks to live in such a high cost of living area).
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well...i'm sure all of you make more than $60k a year so it seems like a small amount. i don't soooo.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Nah, nobody's hating, at least I'm not. I'm jealous you can have a decent house for that price. Most people my age where I live don't even make $60k or they make right around that. They have to share apartments or town houses where the rent is $2,000/month. You're doin well for yourself.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If I made $60k a year.... I'd live a upper class lifestyle with a huge amount of extra spending money in Tucson

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I have a couple of friends that live around dc and it is ridiculous
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

My mortgage here in Tucson is about $580 for a 6 year old 1300 sq foot new build (when I bought it). I am thinking of a refi, which could bring that payment down to $450...less than I've ever paid for rent in AZ, even the crappy 400 sq ft studio I had while in grad school at ASU.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My mortgage (PITI) is $1295 for a 1800sf tract home built in 1959 41 miles from where I work.

My daughter just moved to Hawaii with E-4 Navy husband and they are looking to buy, with PITI of around $2600.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ASUHATER! wrote:If I made $60k a year.... I'd live a upper class lifestyle with a huge amount of extra spending money in Tucson
what do you do for a li...oh ya, never-mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Going through a bit of a mid-life crisis and was just about all set to pull the trigger on a '69 Chevelle, but then I remembered that we don't own a gun so my wife would have to use a knife to kill me and that would probably hurt a lot. So I do not currently own a muscle car.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My mortgage is $475 a month. And I'm about to buy a $5,000 chair.

If you do the math, that would be like 97cats buying a $30,0000 chair.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Going through a bit of a mid-life crisis and was just about all set to pull the trigger on a '69 Chevelle, but then I remembered that we don't own a gun so my wife would have to use a knife to kill me and that would probably hurt a lot. So I do not currently own a muscle car.

My motto is it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I love the old muscle cars, but hate working on them, so don't have one.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Monthly mortgage + property tax for the home in NC is about 750/mo.

Month rental income, 1300. Winning

But still renting in sac, for smaller property at a higher price. Yay Ca housing.