Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by Salty »

Lot of 30 year fixed in here...

Re-fi for 15 @ 3% hard to beat.....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Going through a bit of a mid-life crisis and was just about all set to pull the trigger on a '69 Chevelle, but then I remembered that we don't own a gun so my wife would have to use a knife to kill me and that would probably hurt a lot. So I do not currently own a muscle car.

My motto is it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I love the old muscle cars, but hate working on them, so don't have one.

:cry:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

thats fucking radical -- DO IT!!!!

PS -- "i get older, they stay the same age"
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Big block 454? Dont even ask, just do it
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:Big block 454? Dont even ask, just do it
To the best of my knowledge the biggest engine available in a 69 Chevelle was the 396. However, you could get a 454 in 1970.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Jefe wrote:Big block 454? Dont even ask, just do it
To the best of my knowledge the biggest engine available in a 69 Chevelle was the 396. However, you could get a 454 in 1970.
The original owner replaced the 396 with the 454.

The guy isn't even asking that much for it.

Want . . . . so . . . . fucking . . . . bad . . . .
97cats wrote:thats fucking radical -- DO IT!!!!

PS -- "i get older, they stay the same age"
I don't think you understand the amount of attention I'll get from the underage Indiana crowd if I start cruising downtown Valpo in that baby. That car will probably be plaintiff's evidence #1A in my divorce trial.

Can't do it. But oh do I want to do it...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

When I was in the Army I had a 72 El Camino with a 400 ci small block, TH400 transmission, and a 12 bolt posi read end. Wish I still had it.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Anyone know a good block layer? Looking to replace my shitty old wood fence with a block. Not looking forward to what the cost will be. Hopefully I can talk neighbors into splitting cost.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Frybry02 wrote:Anyone know a good block layer? Looking to replace my shitty old wood fence with a block. Not looking forward to what the cost will be. Hopefully I can talk neighbors into splitting cost.
Trump should be of some help.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

From a guy who bought a 73 challenger with a 440 magnum (not numbers matching), do it Chi. You won't regret it. Just remember today's oil doesn't have zinc and will ruin your cam. Buy the oil made by Joe Gibbs on line. Love wrenching on my car. Looks i get driving are crazy
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You guys are a bad influence.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

azcat49 wrote: You won't regret it. Just remember today's oil don't have zinc and will ruin your cam. Buy the oil made by Joe Gibbs on line.

I run diesel oil in my '65 Honda motorcycle for precisely that reason. I imagine it would stand up just as well in a car, and it's much cheaper than Joe Gibbs. Mine doesn't like multi-weight oil...
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azgreg wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Anyone know a good block layer? Looking to replace my shitty old wood fence with a block. Not looking forward to what the cost will be. Hopefully I can talk neighbors into splitting cost.
Trump should be of some help.
what an incredible deal! They'll pay for it too!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

97cats wrote:nothing beats Creed or Bond -- nothing

and, $575 for a mortgage payment???????????

i wont even get into what my monthly nut is for my family of four where i live because its totally stupid.
Have Green Irish Tweed and will ask the wife for Aventus for a bday gift this year. Never smelled anything from Bond before but heard good things. What do you have from both?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Chi you need to jump on that Chevelle. My father's 69 Plymouth Roadrunner (numbers matching, almost everything brought up to snuff under the hood, just needed paint and seats reupholstered) and 69 Z28 were both waiting for me in his will. He's retiring this year and my mother made him sell the Roadrunner late last year before he finished it. Now shes on his ass about selling the Z28, which is completely restored... I'm going to be left with nothing.

70 is my favorite year for Chevelle and is my second favorite muscle car, but I would take a 69 any damn day of the week. 70 Cudas are my favorite though
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

These low mortgages are killing me. I'm up to $1,350 now and it took a hell of a lot to get my wife to pump her breaks at the price we built at knowing how much I wanted to stash away each month. Now that she has almost doubled her salary in the last year and will likely pass me if she becomes a supervisor by the end of 2016, she's trying to get me to look at a new house after only being in this one three years. No way in hell.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Damn, you guys are getting me all fired up about saving for a muscle car.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

'murica
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

In 1964 my Grandmother needed a new car. Her old one was a '53 Pontiac, and she was a Pontiac driver.

So she bought a Tempest of course.

The salesman was able to talk (with Mom and Dad right there to go along with it) her into all the goodies on offer, bucket seats, trim packages, bigger engine, etc, etc, etc. By the time she walked out she was waiting on a hardtop GTO. (I mentioned the word 'convertable' onetime and my Dad just about clobbered me).

We got home and Gramma was discussing the new car, my sister heard "the bucket seats are gonna be really comfortable", and started crowing "Go Granny, Go Granny, Go Granny, Go" for the next two hours.

The next day Gramma went down to the dealer and downgraded her order, got bench seats, the mid-range engine, plain trim, boring, boring, boring. (Except that it wasn't really boring - it was a fine car - certainly one of the finest mid 60's American cars made though none of them could steer or stop worth a damn).

I had designs for that car when Gramma couldn't drive it anymore, but my Dad wouldn't let me have it, he loved that darn thing and he was a Buick man. He drove it forever.

But that car was supposed to be earmarked for me eventually (at least in my mind - and I was "Gramma's Favorite" after all) , and I WANT MY 64 GTO dammit!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

My dad had some pretty nice cars when he was in his early 20's. He had a 69 GTO convertible, a 69 Camero convertible which the owner covered up the Z28 emblems when he bought it so my dad was quite pleased, and finally, his pride was a 65 Austin Healey MK3. He usually bought up junkers and fixed them up and sold them and eventually bought a house. My mom and I have been trying to find a Austin Healey for him to work on and restore, but it's not exactly cheap and common place and parts are even harder to find.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Going through a bit of a mid-life crisis and was just about all set to pull the trigger on a '69 Chevelle, but then I remembered that we don't own a gun so my wife would have to use a knife to kill me and that would probably hurt a lot. So I do not currently own a muscle car.

My motto is it's always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I love the old muscle cars, but hate working on them, so don't have one.

:cry:

Tell your wife you are getting it to hand down to your sons. They will be driving before you know it.

How bad ass would it be for them to take it to Valpo high?

Lot of SSs are fakes now, so do your homework on it. But if it is priced as a fake, grab it!

My dad just drove around, and found some guys building a block wall and liked their work. He is 90% sure they were illegals, but did great work and were rather inexpensive.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

My dad's first car was a 67 Pontiac Judge.. Imagine being 16 and having the fastest car in your town. Different times for certain. I had the chance to snag a 70 Chevelle 350 SS Clone (stock chevelle with SS badging, grille, wheels, etc., for any who don't know) at a really good price a few years back from a guy near my parents. Only thing was, it was forest green, which I am not a fan of. Tried to get the guy lower knowing I needed to save the extra cash to get it to the color scheme you see below, but he wouldn't budge. I needed an absolute steal if I wasn't getting a true SS with the big block. A couple months later, my dad told me I was a dumbass for not buying it and said he would cover half the price of the paint job. I told him to get in contact with the dude, and the guy said he gave it to his teenage son and sold his son's previous car for him... Oh well.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The one I was looking at has the correct papers, but since the engine was replaced its not a true numbers matching car, which is why I'm guessing it's cheap.

Hard to spend so much money on what is essentially a 6-month, weekend-only vehicle. If I lived in Tucson where I could use it all year and it wouldn't rust, I'd be all over it and say fuck the threats of divorce.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote: Lot of SSs are fakes now, so do your homework on it. But if it is priced as a fake, grab it!
Yep, plenty of dishonest sellers out there, plus people who didn't do their homework and don't know they have a clone when they try to resell it. Important to know where to find the VIN tags, how to properly read the tags, and how to spot tampering. Other identifiers too. Can probably bring yourself up to snuff in a few hours and bringing the materials with you. If they have the original documentation even better.

http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html" target="_blank

Chi, in my experience numbers matching just adds premium value to the car. That could have changed in the last few years, I havent been going to Barrett Jackson the last few years and my dad is not nearly as obsessed as he once was. The hobby has died down a little and prices have fallen (on most cars) since the big boom that hit when the prices went through the roof. So things may have changed. Numbers matching isnt that big of a deal to me, but it is probably a must to the obsessed collector who has to have everything perfect and original.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:I don't think you understand the amount of attention I'll get from the underage Indiana crowd if I start cruising downtown Valpo in that baby. That car will probably be plaintiff's evidence #1A in my divorce trial.
LMAO -- you could park right in front of the Silver Spoon and make it RAIN!!!!!!!!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

rgdeuce wrote:
Have Green Irish Tweed

thats the classic John Wayne manly man scent super hot girl panty dropper, best on the planet for a guy who wants the gals to be instantly moist on inhale, can never ever go wrong with that one -- Royal Mayfair & Millesime are more sophisticated but unreal as well.
rgdeuce wrote:Never smelled anything from Bond before but heard good things.
Bond No 9 is the men's signature but the New York Oui and the Chez Bond are fantastic along with Bleeker Street, Scent of Peace and many, many others.

the reason i like Bond is because all the cologne is unisex so you can mix and match the varieties, its actually encouraged. to me its great because i pretty much make my own different smell each day combining different scents.

imo, its the best daily cologne out there.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

True collector number matching cars typically limit miles to preserve value so I like the clones or Resto-mod cars. I drive mine without concern for how many miles I out on it.

Tried to post a pic of my car but it says the file is to large. How do I compress it?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:I don't think you understand the amount of attention I'll get from the underage Indiana crowd if I start cruising downtown Valpo in that baby. That car will probably be plaintiff's evidence #1A in my divorce trial.
LMAO -- you could park right in front of the Silver Spoon and make it RAIN!!!!!!!!!
:lol:

Wait, that's not a bad idea....

azcat49 wrote:True collector number matching cars typically limit miles to preserve value so I like the clones or Resto-mod cars. I drive mine without concern for how many miles I out on it.

Tried to post a pic of my car but it says the file is to large. How do I compress it?
Upload it using imgur.com and copy and paste the "BBCode (Forums)" link.

My question on miles is if you get something with a restored or new engine, shouldn't it only be the miles on the engine and not the whole car?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed on the engine. Most bodies will have resto parts. Side panels, floor panels are not hard to come by and replace so if yours salts out they are not hard to find.

Many of them (classic cars) had drum brakes and you will want to refit them with disc on the front at least. Not a tough project that will run you about a grand. Lots of internet help on how to do it.

Hard to gauge the engine and where it is in its life. I rebuilt mine 5K miles in. They are pretty simple rebuilds given the non complexity of those engines. Horsepower and added compression = shorter engine life. Heavier cams for greater breathing also shortens life.

Remember, those cars were made to go a 1/4 mile at a time. Still, they hold there value and are really fun to drive around. Everyone needs a Gran Torino moment :)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Insurance companies don't care how many miles are on an engine. There mileage restrictions are all about keeping a car that is expensive as hell to fix off the street as much as possible.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azgreg wrote:When I was in the Army I had a 72 El Camino with a 400 ci small block, TH400 transmission, and a 12 bolt posi read end. Wish I still had it.
and now what do you have?
Chicat wrote:You guys are a bad influence.
Looks like we need to start a car/toy subforum
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:
azgreg wrote:When I was in the Army I had a 72 El Camino with a 400 ci small block, TH400 transmission, and a 12 bolt posi read end. Wish I still had it.
I now drive a Ford Escape.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote: Looks like we need to start a car/toy subforum

I had a 70 Firebird 400ci in college.

This model/color.

Now I drive a Nissan pickup, the little one.

This model/color.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I used to drive a little Nissan pickup truck. Had it 1987 to 2001. Felt like I lost my identity when I sold it. So I became Longhorned.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Working on a '74 Bronco with my father currently, havent driven it in a year but just got the seats in.

My daily driver has a 392ci motor. I guess you could say it was an outrageous purchase...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:Working on a '74 Bronco with my father currently, havent driven it in a year but just got the seats in.

My daily driver has a 392ci motor. I guess you could say it was an outrageous purchase...
When I was with Greulich's Automotive in N Scottsdale many years ago Tom Weiskopf brought in his old Bronco for a little bit of work. We ended up redoing the entire thing. Complete drive train, body, and paint work. He spent a ton of money but it turned out sweet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Me too! And a Toyota Camry.

Kill me...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Any pics of that build Greg? Gotta tune up the 302 and then paint. Haven't decided on the color yet but thinking green with silver accents.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Me too! And a Toyota Camry.

Kill me...
My wife's ride is a Chevy HHR. At least it looks hot roddish.......sorta........maybe not.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:Any pics of that build Greg? Gotta tune up the 302 and then paint. Haven't decided on the color yet but thinking green with silver accents.
Sure don't, wish I did. I was his kids and they used it to go hunting so he didn't want anything special....at first.Every couple of days I'd get a call and he'd say:"How about we go ahead and replace all the bulbs." A coup[le of days later, "How about putting a new steering wheel on there." And on and on and on...........I had the thing for about 6 months.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

97cats wrote:]

thats the classic John Wayne manly man scent super hot girl panty dropper, best on the planet for a guy who wants the gals to be instantly moist on inhale, can never ever go wrong with that one -- Royal Mayfair & Millesime are more sophisticated but unreal as well.

Bond No 9 is the men's signature but the New York Oui and the Chez Bond are fantastic along with Bleeker Street, Scent of Peace and many, many others.

the reason i like Bond is because all the cologne is unisex so you can mix and match the varieties, its actually encouraged. to me its great because i pretty much make my own different smell each day combining different scents.

imo, its the best daily cologne out there.
Yeah, I get a lot of positive reactions from the ladies w GIT. I dont wear it as often as a should, it's oddly something I have to be in the mood to wear. Still have a sample of Original Santal that I need to give a try. Ive tried a couple others, Royal Water, Millesime, and Silver Mountain Water. Enjoyed each, but not enough to spend Creed's sticker price, or even discounted prices. Huge fan of Aventus though. I'll have to find a store that carries Bond so I can check them out, not sure who carries Bond in Arizona. Im guessing you have quite the collection?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I can't remember the last time I wore cologne.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I just splurged on a luxury car this past fall. All this car talk makes me wish I would have kept my boring Honda Accord and used the difference to buy a Chevelle :( what I get for being a bum and expecting daddy's toys down the road. I'm guessing these are going to be affordable down the road though. Its been a perfect storm with that generation at or near retirement age/kids are out of the house. Eventually the markets going to be flooded with kids/wives moving their dad's/husband's old cars for extra cash, and the demand wont nearly be what it has been the last 10 years or so
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Jefe wrote: Looks like we need to start a car/toy subforum

I had a 70 Firebird 400ci in college.

This model/color.

That car and that 'stache? Panties must have been spontaneously combusting all over town.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

MrBug708 wrote:My dad had some pretty nice cars when he was in his early 20's. He had a 69 GTO convertible, a 69 Camero convertible which the owner covered up the Z28 emblems when he bought it so my dad was quite pleased, and finally, his pride was a 65 Austin Healey MK3. He usually bought up junkers and fixed them up and sold them and eventually bought a house. My mom and I have been trying to find a Austin Healey for him to work on and restore, but it's not exactly cheap and common place and parts are even harder to find.
My first car actually was a 59 A-H Sprite Mk I. I think the Brits used up the last of their WWI tank armor on the body. That damn thing was HEAVY.

It was a piece of junk by the time I got it but it was fun. And yes, when I drove it around campus girls would literally jump in and ask for a ride. Heaven on a stick.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I finally got a Lexus. So what if it's 15 years old, and has over 170,000 miles, and was handed down to me when my
son bought his own car and my daughter wanted the SUV?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My Dad had a '68 Charger R/T in Canary Yellow before I was born. When my Mom was pregnant with me, she got a ticket in it for excessively loud exhaust and made him sell it. They bought a Pinto. They are divorced now, and I am pretty sure that's why I'm my Dad's least favorite kid.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

'57 Chevy 4DrHT, 327 blueprinted, 2 4bbl Carters, Mallory dual ignition, lake pipes with electric cutouts, 15" tires, lowered 2", Corvette 4 speed transmission, Hurst speed shifter. Spent every Saturday afternoon tuning up and balancing 4 wheels. Loved that car. Don't know why I'm still alive.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote:What outrageously expensive thing are you thinking about buying? You know, something that you can't justify, that really isn't a financial investment in your home's value or anything else that a financial adviser or family members would approve of. It doesn't make any sense, but you just might do it anyway.

I'm thinking about buying an Eames Chair. A $5,000 chair. I welcome anyone to talk me out of being such an idiot.

Just got delivered. In orbit, man.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Did you order it last Sept!? Still looking for a deal on one.