Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by Longhorned »

What outrageously expensive thing are you thinking about buying? You know, something that you can't justify, that really isn't a financial investment in your home's value or anything else that a financial adviser or family members would approve of. It doesn't make any sense, but you just might do it anyway.

I'm thinking about buying an Eames Chair. A $5,000 chair. I welcome anyone to talk me out of being such an idiot.

rgdeuce

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by rgdeuce »

LOL. Doesn't qualify as outrageous, but a $200 pair of Air Jordans. Just googled your chair but didn't look further. Is that a chair for your home office? That is pretty outrageous. :lol: I can see spending upwards of $5-10k on a really nice bed or a beautiful couch that everyone can enjoy, but if I am spending $5k on a chair it better the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in AND has a retractable life-like woman's head that takes care of me when needed.

I run almost all purchases by the Mrs. beforehand, even $60 video games. I can usually wear her down more times than not, so that helps. I prefer to save rather than spend, but it does keep me grounded in certain instances and gives me time to work myself out of the impulse buy time window.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

LH,

do it, best chair ever -- some of my suits would qualify.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are saving for a house.

In California.

I'm not allowed to spend money. The checking alerts for purchases greater than 150 for chase are a far gentler reminder than the text from wife if I so much as purchase a bagel at the neighborhood coop on the way into work. :lol:

I'd rather have it this way than have married a spendthrift.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm one of the poors so I can't think of anything I've purchased in years that was more than 100- $200. I spend more than that on car repairs?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It's not much but I have my eye on the Coleman road trip LX in red. Looks like a cool little tailgating/patio grill at about 150.

Not an awesome chair mind you.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97, that's it. I'm there.
rgdeuce wrote:I can see spending upwards of $5-10k on a really nice bed or a beautiful couch that everyone can enjoy, but if I am spending $5k on a chair it better the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in AND has a retractable life-like woman's head that takes care of me when needed.
It doesn't do the latter, but comfortable isn't even the right word somehow. If you ever sit in one, you're ruined for life. No more $80 a bottle whiskeys will ever be good enough for you. You'll look down on those people in business class as you make your way to the first class cabin. Silk underwear and velvet overalls? No problem, man. Last night, steak in San Francisco, tonight teriyaki in Tokyo.

The only drawback is that my wife wants it more than I do. Which means that my hours in it aren't unlimited.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I had a recliner once that was comfortable enough to fall asleep in, but not comfortable enough to stay asleep in.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I was trying to explain "Mommy's diamond ring" to my 3 year old son, and why what he saw as a "piece of glass" cost so much.

I felt he was waaaaay smarter than me during that discussion.....

But then I realized that part of the reason why he was even having that discussion with me was the piece of glass on mommy's hand.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I think the suit I bought in Italy would probably qualify. It's a really badass suit, though...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Last October I bought a nearly $1000 goose down comforter. You know, when I heard word of a specially designed line for me to keep me in flagstaff for a long time.

At the time, I love every second under that comforter.

Now I live where it's 90 degrees in the winter.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I also have a $400 pair of alligator formal flip flops.

No joke.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I would love to have a 800 mm Canon lens.

Go ahead, google it, I assure you, it would qualify here.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:I also have a $400 pair of alligator formal flip flops.

No joke.
What's the appropriate formal occasion? Like a pool party at the Playboy Mansion?

I'd be standing there in my rubber flip flops and then I'd look over at you in your alligators, and that would answer the question as to why I'm talking to an accountant from the company that supplies Hugh Hefner's pajamas, and you've got three model girls rubbing their fingers through your hair?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I also have a $400 pair of alligator formal flip flops.

No joke.
What's the appropriate formal occasion? Like a pool party at the Playboy Mansion?

I'd be standing there in my rubber flip flops and then I'd look over at you in your alligators, and that would answer the question as to why I'm talking to an accountant from the company that supplies Hugh Hefner's pajamas, and you've got three model girls rubbing their fingers through your hair?
I've worn them to weddings. First bought them for a beach wedding.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Thinking about a pair of Seahawk tickets. Whoa!
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Contrary to the warnings about hot tubs (eg: the maintenance, you will use it the first year and rarely after that, you will hate it from may-october due to the Tucson heat), I'm strongly considering a Bullfrog hot tub. My wife is always complaining about her back hurting and stress but tells me it would be a bad purchase. My already fragile body is banged up from years of year-round sports and I think it would be a great way to unwind after the kids go down for bed, and help both of us sleep better through the night. The kids will probably love it too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I've had my eye on either a Cadillac CTS or an Audi A6, but I'll keep tooling around in my sensible Camry.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote:I've had my eye on either a Cadillac CTS or an Audi A6, but I'll keep tooling around in my sensible Camry.
Going to get a Tesla soon. I'm still trying to come to terms with how much it costs but we really like those cars.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:What outrageously expensive thing are you thinking about buying? You know, something that you can't justify, that really isn't a financial investment in your home's value or anything else that a financial adviser or family members would approve of. It doesn't make any sense, but you just might do it anyway.

I'm thinking about buying an Eames Chair. A $5,000 chair. I welcome anyone to talk me out of being such an idiot.

That is a beautiful chair LH. Really. Funny to me because the friendly Canadian GF hates both of my old school club chairs in the Master Lounge (i.e., mancave). Admittedly, both are tattered, worn and somewhat broken down - akin to Martin Crane's chair in Frasier. Pretty ratty, but one of them was my great grandfather's chair and I've had it for over 25 years now. It's my safe spot. Fits me like a glove. The other one I don't care so much about. My mother is an interior designer and is now in cahoots with the Canadian to replace my chairs. I've told them that I would consider a pair of Eames-style chairs as replacements at their expense. I'm open to further classing up the Master Lounge and would enjoy the recliner and/or ottoman set up. I was just thinking about this type of chair driving to work this morning. Funny you should post this picture.

I have two wall-mounted television's in the Master Lounge for football each with its own dedicated Dish receiver. One is 60" and the other is a 40". Some may find that excessive, but my buddies are already lobbying for a third screen. It would've come in handy this last Saturday with all of the evening action. I already have the screen, I'm just bucking against a third receiver in one room . . .

My mountain bike was $3,000.00 which was a lot for me, but not excessive per-se in the industry. It's a damn sweet ride though.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Don't even get me started how much we have spent on bikes. My wife totaled her road bike a few weeks ago so more money for bikes. Yay!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I subscribed to GoAzCats a few years back.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Daryl Zero wrote:I subscribed to GoAzCats a few years back.
lol me too. in like 2013. turrible idea.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Childcare.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:I've had my eye on either a Cadillac CTS or an Audi A6, but I'll keep tooling around in my sensible Camry.
If you want our Audi A3 "clean diesel" TDI, we can talk...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I hope no one on here has purchased a diesel vw or audi in the last 6 years! The value on them has crashed. We won't even finance any of those vehicles any more, period.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

scumdevils86 wrote:I hope no one on here has purchased a diesel vw or audi in the last 6 years! The value on them has crashed. We won't even finance any of those vehicles any more, period.
Uh, yeah.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've seen people only receiving offers of about 20% of what the vehicle was valued at 2 weeks ago.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

BMalo wrote:Childcare.
What's the alternative? A nanny? That's even more expensive.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:I've seen people only receiving offers of about 20% of what the vehicle was valued at 2 weeks ago.
Don't own one myself, but why has their value crashed so much? just the decrease in gas prices?
Longhorned wrote:
yeah, but, with the right nanny, there are added benefits?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We can't value the vehicles properly, especially since VW has no plan released yet on how to fix their fuck up. They emit like 40 times as much emissions as VW said they did so there's a lot of people who don't want them. The whole VW brand name is in bad shape.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I've seen people only receiving offers of about 20% of what the vehicle was valued at 2 weeks ago.
Don't own one myself, but why has their value crashed so much? just the decrease in gas prices?
There has been reports that counties will not renew tags until the emissions questions have all been ironed out.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

not to mention like I said my employer and I'm sure many others will not provide financing on vehicles...so that definitely will reduce their value.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Just picked up one of these for my band. Impulse buy, but we really need it as none of our vocalists are really stand outs.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Longhorned wrote:
Sweatshops.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

UAdevil wrote:Image

Just picked up one of these for my band. Impulse buy, but we really need it as none of our vocalists are really stand outs.
Is that what I used to call a harmonizer? Changes vocalist's pitch and frequencies?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

scumdevils86 wrote:We can't value the vehicles properly, especially since VW has no plan released yet on how to fix their fuck up. They emit like 40 times as much emissions as VW said they did so there's a lot of people who don't want them. The whole VW brand name is in bad shape.
One would think there is a class action going to happen against VW for the poor souls who bought into clean diesel.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Daryl Zero wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:We can't value the vehicles properly, especially since VW has no plan released yet on how to fix their fuck up. They emit like 40 times as much emissions as VW said they did so there's a lot of people who don't want them. The whole VW brand name is in bad shape.
One would think there is a class action going to happen against VW for the poor souls who bought into clean diesel.
I imagine so, on top of VW having to pay for the repairs on every car so they can pass emissions testing. I saw several stories where people had the misfortune to be counting on selling their VW right now in order to help pay for bills/tuition/medical expenses etc and now that money is just not there. One girl's Jetta (the sale of which was supposed to pay her 2015-2016 college tuition) which was blue booking at about $15k was fetching no offers of more than about $2500 as of this week.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Daryl Zero wrote:

Is that what I used to call a harmonizer? Changes vocalist's pitch and frequencies?
Harmonizer, pitch corrector, etc. Here is a demo:

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:
I imagine so, on top of VW having to pay for the repairs on every car so they can pass emissions testing. I saw several stories where people had the misfortune to be counting on selling their VW right now in order to help pay for bills/tuition/medical expenses etc and now that money is just not there. One girl's Jetta (the sale of which was supposed to pay her 2015-2016 college tuition) which was blue booking at about $15k was fetching no offers of more than about $2500 as of this week.

We've already been contacted about a class action lawsuit. We have a 2010 "green car of the year". Bought it brand new, and paid a premium for it. The problem for VW (and like ours, Audi) is the fact that consumer's were sold a bill of goods that wasn't true. People, like my wife and I, that were told we were doing something to help reduce greenhouse gasses, were lied to.

So really, the issue is that. We have been really happy with the car, the performance and gas savings. If they fix the issue at hand, the car will likely not have the performance that it currently does. And that doesn't provide us with what we purchased.

I know it will never happen, but listening to NPR there was an expert saying that VW would basically have to refund the MSRP of the original purchase, as the cars were not as advertised.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yeah i highly doubt that happens....but maybe in 5 years when it is settled you will get a check for $234.15!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

UAdevil wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:

Harmonizer, pitch corrector, etc. Here is a demo:

Too cool! I'd buy that for a dollar!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Olsondogg wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Daryl Zero wrote:

We've already been contacted about a class action lawsuit. We have a 2010 "green car of the year". Bought it brand new, and paid a premium for it. The problem for VW (and like ours, Audi) is the fact that consumer's were sold a bill of goods that wasn't true. People, like my wife and I, that were told we were doing something to help reduce greenhouse gasses, were lied to.

So really, the issue is that. We have been really happy with the car, the performance and gas savings. If they fix the issue at hand, the car will likely not have the performance that it currently does. And that doesn't provide us with what we purchased.

I know it will never happen, but listening to NPR there was an expert saying that VW would basically have to refund the MSRP of the original purchase, as the cars were not as advertised.
Yah. It was basically intentional fraud.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

LH, those Lounge chairs are great. Been looking for one for a while myself. I missed one just down the street from me, apparently it was an original in great shape and only like $1400. It was sold within an hour of being posted. Make sure youre buying a real one, lots of fakes out there. Theres a really good guide online on what to look out for. Rove is making very nice replica at less than half the cost and people seem to love them

http://www.roveconcepts.com/rove-lounge ... toman.html
gumby

Post by gumby »

84Cat wrote:
Going to get a Tesla soon. I'm still trying to come to terms with how much it costs but we really like those cars.
Zounds!

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/30/9428011/te ... -explained

I'd have to live in a car that expensive.
Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The regular teslas are "only" $90000

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:LH, those Lounge chairs are great. Been looking for one for a while myself. I missed one just down the street from me, apparently it was an original in great shape and only like $1400. It was sold within an hour of being posted. Make sure youre buying a real one, lots of fakes out there. Theres a really good guide online on what to look out for. Rove is making very nice replica at less than half the cost and people seem to love them

http://www.roveconcepts.com/rove-lounge ... toman.html
They're still making them new so it's pretty fool-proof to buy the real deal. But if you buy an old one, it should cost more than a brand new one. That's because they used to be made out of rosewood, but not anymore because it's endangered. Those are rare collector's items. I'm just in it for a new one.

There are a ton of knock-offs out there.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
There has been reports that counties will not renew tags until the emissions questions have all been ironed out.
Ah, see, I had no idea all that happened/was going on (after seeing your post and the others after it). Don't I feel dumb now :lol:

That really sucks for all the people who bought the cars.
Yeah after reading the posts in this thread, I'd imagine that's a solid reason not to finance them at all anymore.

::::

link to an article explaining it all for dummies like me who hadn't heard about it. http://www.vox.com/2015/9/21/9365667/vo ... enger-cars
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: