Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:All inclusive stay at a resort in Mexico for a week next spring, yes or no?
I’m not a fan of all inclusives. The food blows and the drinks are usually trash. I’d rather pay for every meal and know it’s not going to be some generic bland bullshit.

Always seems like a good deal before we go and a rip off when we come back.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I don't trust reviews from Bill and Diane from Wichita that said the food was amazing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:All inclusive stay at a resort in Mexico for a week next spring, yes or no?
I’m not a fan of all inclusives. The food blows and the drinks are usually trash. I’d rather pay for every meal and know it’s not going to be some generic bland bullshit.

Always seems like a good deal before we go and a rip off when we come back.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I don't trust reviews from Bill and Diane from Wichita that said the food was amazing.
Probably because they were looking for the most Americanized experience possible.

Went to the Riviera Maya Iberostar and the beer was a low rent Sol knock off (they didn’t even have Corona and they had those auto pour machines that give you three quarters of a glass and no foam), the nachos were reminiscent of what you get at a minor league baseball stadium in Iowa, and after two rounds at the “premium bar” the bartender started pouring us Don Julio from a mystery bottle under the bar. When we called him out on it he smiled and said, “It’s like, the same ... Amigo!” and flashed us a big grin that basically told us we were being poisoned.

I did have one good all-inclusive experience, which was unfortunately our first all-inclusive experience. We went to the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall in Jamaica (now sold off and no longer an RC). Got a hurricane season deal for three meals, one snack, and unlimited drinks. The thing was, most people there were paying per meal and per drink, and expecting everything to measure up to what they were paying. So me & Femcat were eating lobster twice a day and drinking Dom P and getting steaks that were easily some of the best I’ve ever eaten.

Thought it would be the same at the two other all-inclusives we tried and instead we were presented with what was essentially an army enlisted personnel chow line. Fuck that shit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i dont cruise and i dont all-include....life is too short for that nonsense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell no, what chi and 97 said.

We did our honeymoon at Sandals emerald bay Exuma and we both agree it probably was our worst vacation food and drink wise. We went that route because we didn’t want to plan anything and just went. Good at the time but in retrospect never again.

I’ll never go on a cruise. I don’t like being confined
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I like group bus tours.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

When it was time to settle up our bill from our stay at the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar this spring, Femcat said to me, “Don’t tell me what the final total is. I had fun.”

I think that’s the feeling you want from a vacation. Not “Yeah I ate warmed up shit, but think of the money we saved!”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I like group bus tours.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: There are still times when premium class (first, business) tickets are offered at prices that are less than the economy version. When it happens, I actually have to pay more for the economy class ticket. Because my university won't reimburse me for premium class tickets, even when they are cheaper.
Once you give tenure to academics it's game over baby. All of a sudden they think they're assistant basketball coaches or something.
azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I like group bus tours.
"Yes, Dr. Longhorned, in the back row, I see you have your hand up. Excuse me? No Dr. You must have a note from the Provost to change seat assignments."
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well y'all have confirmed what I certainly expected! I'm considering a regular resort stay in Maui now with a rental car included so I can tool around and find our own food and shit to do.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

scumdevils86 wrote:Well y'all have confirmed what I certainly expected! I'm considering a regular resort stay in Maui now with a rental car included so I can tool around and find our own food and shit to do.
go with that for sure, and if you’re brave enough plan a wake up one morning at 4am (you’ll most likely be up anyway) and take the road all the way to Hana.

stop when you like and pick up a treat or two along the way at one of the fresh bakery and coffee stands that have incredible juices and baked goods as well and drive all the way to the hike through the bamboo forest, it’s incredible. i forget the name of the national park but the hotel will know.

after the hour plus hike a dip at Koki beach (not far from the hike) is a small slice of heaven and a great way to naturally clean off the dust, sweat, and bug repellent....it’s a hidden gem so here’s how you get there: on the way back take a right on Haneoo road (like I said not far from the hike) all the way down to the water and have a swim with the locals.

cap it off with a mid afternoon delight at Jen’s Thai food as you continue back to Maui, and make sure to leave for the final leg home after lunch while the sun is still out so you can confidently navigate the winding road.

also, this is legit coconut juice region, plenty of locals ready to pop one open for you with a machete off the side of the road - you got to get a Hana coconut at some point along the drive.

one of the greatest days you will ever spend, I guarantee it.

disclaimer: if you want to have extra fun rent a Jeep Wrangler for the day, it will make the trip that much more enjoyable.

mahalo
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thanks for the info 97. My wife and I are going to Maui in November for our 25th. Maui is the only one of the big 4 islands we haven't been to yet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I gotta get back to Maui. Unfortunately the flight from Chicago is long and expensive so it’s usually a location option that gets negated early in vacation discussions. Much easier for us to get to Mexico or the Caribbean.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

More power to you all, but among the opportunity costs of a trip to Maui is a trip to Capri or Stromboli or Sicily or Crete or Paros.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Just pre-ordered Pink Floyd: The Later Years box set. Almost $500. Wife does not yet know...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Sorting out domestic flights for Oz and Tazmania the later of which is becoming more and more appealing. I prefer drier biomes, Savanna especially, but something about Tassie resonates. Definitely will do Uluru but Darwin is losing out to Tassie. Brisbane's Gold Coast party-glitz isn't calling, but the coastal landscape route to there from MEL and back is a tempting rental car option if one enjoys mountain ranges and wine regions.

OK why lie about it? It's the Tassie whisky business and Pinot production that matters.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:More power to you all, but among the opportunity costs of a trip to Maui is a trip to Capri or Stromboli or Sicily or Crete or Paros.

i have been to Sicily and Capri, and it cost me double Hawaii - however I’m coming from LA so it increases the international flight expenditures quite a bit.

that being said, you’re right, everything along the Italian coast is priced like Hawaii and I enjoy and prefer each for different things at different times.

we go to Hawaii every year the day after Xmas (it’s a family tradition) and I love it - wouldn’t change that for anything.

Capri and Italy in general is best the last two weeks of May or in September during harvest - fuck I want fresh vongole so bad.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

UAdevil wrote:Just pre-ordered Pink Floyd: The Later Years box set. Almost $500. Wife does not yet know...
Does not belong in this thread - that is not outrageous.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bought a king size bed ..... AND a mattress.

Who the fuck is pricing this shit??
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm definitely going to Maui in the spring
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote:
Whoever buys that is definitely wealthy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Whoever buys that is definitely wealthy.
Or high.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Definitively wealthy and eight years old.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote:Just pre-ordered Pink Floyd: The Later Years box set. Almost $500. Wife does not yet know...
It is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
It is always better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
If you pay close attention, you'll notice that this is their approach to dealing with us, too. Imagine the cold chill in summer if we ever took up their offer to "package it up again and mail it back for a refund."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m kinda jones’n for an outdoor pizza oven.

Any suggestions?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

CalStateTempe wrote:I’m kinda jones’n for an outdoor pizza oven.

Any suggestions?
No need to go crazy. These work great. $179.96 on Amazon.

Pizzacraft PC6000 Pizzeria Pronto Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven
4.5 out of 5 stars 165
$179.96
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dude, that’s awesome thank you!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dude, that’s awesome thank you!
I have researched the subject to death, and tried a few. IMHO that little Pronto is very good, and the best value by far. Takes a little practice, but after a few pies you'll do great. Be sure to post a picture of your first successful pie.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anyone else in the lottery trying to get tickets next Wed? Just checked AirBNBs and everything near Whistling Straits is $1K-$5K/night

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kohler is awesome.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is that where my toilet was born?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Is that where my toilet was born?
Yep.

The American Club is one of the best resorts in the country. https://www.americanclubresort.com/" target="_blank
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Picked up my pack rat violated car from repair in Las Vegas yesterday. Rumor has it a new Lotus dealer is opening in Phoenix soon. Thank god. That wasn’t an ideal situation. And worse, they had a collection of cars for sale with colors that had me sweating bullets to get out of the dealership before doing something stupid. :twisted:

On a slightly more reasonable note, I have absolutely no need for this hand made warrior helmet thingie. But I want it.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/706166056/ ... e_68&frs=1

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Picked up my pack rat violated car from repair in Las Vegas yesterday. Rumor has it a new Lotus dealer is opening in Phoenix soon. Thank god. That wasn’t an ideal situation. And worse, they had a collection of cars for sale with colors that had me sweating bullets to get out of the dealership before doing something stupid. :twisted:

Maybe you should get a Ferrari.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Haha yikes! I can’t afford one thankfully/unfortunately. It would probably be too much at for me and I’d end up on a security camera video.

That reminds of when they first installed speed humps on the main cruising road in Dubai—Jumeirah Beach Road. The cars went flying after hitting the humps at speed, including a Lamborghini (last couple of seconds in this video):

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Treating wife to date night in SF this weekend with dinner a Sons and Daughters, and a room at the St. Frances.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I've wanted one of these since I was a kid, and in early May, I bought one for $700. It needed a lot of work, and today I finally passed the purchase price in parts purchases.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spent $7,000 on a bicycle today.

Tern GSD S10 LX with some accessories
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Electric cargo bike? Nice.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Did you get a seat for your kids? I have an electric Xtracycle cargo bike but haven't bought the seat for my grandson yet.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:59 pm Spent $7,000 on a bicycle today.

7000 for a bike?

Hope it came with a happy ending
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:56 am

7000 for a bike?

If you can replace a car it will pay for itself. According to the IRS, it costs $8000/year to run a car. In my situation, we replaced a car with my electric bike for over a decade now. We've probably saved close to $100,000 by only owning 1 car. Plus an electric bike is more fun to ride than a car. We call it the electric grin
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So what kind of lock do you get for a $7000 bike? Or is that a bike you don't park anywhere outside of your garage or office?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I use 2 u-locks on my electric bike. Never had any problems but I never leave it anywhere for very long
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:41 am Did you get a seat for your kids? I have an electric Xtracycle cargo bike but haven't bought the seat for my grandson yet.
Yes, I got this thing. Rode my kid to school in it this morning. My kid loves it!

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/support ... w-build-it
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:48 am
Alieberman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:56 am

7000 for a bike?

If you can replace a car it will pay for itself. According to the IRS, it costs $8000/year to run a car. In my situation, we replaced a car with my electric bike for over a decade now. We've probably saved close to $100,000 by only owning 1 car. Plus an electric bike is more fun to ride than a car. We call it the electric grin
This is exactly what we're going for. I'm going to see how long it takes before I actually need to use my car again, which I hope to use just to drive to different cities. If car rentals ever make a comeback, I might get rid of the car altogether.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:01 am So what kind of lock do you get for a $7000 bike? Or is that a bike you don't park anywhere outside of your garage or office?
I got my own bike locker on campus. I also paid $160 for a top-security lock with a chain that looks like it's for a ship anchor, and is just as heavy. The wheels lock individually with a key. The location is electronically tracked, like if somebody stole your phone or computer. But even then, it's programmed with all my information, so it's red-flagged as hot and useless to anybody else. Hard to imagine a market for that kind of thing.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I am spending $3k on my daughter's out-of-town national dance competition right now. Does that count?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:43 am I am spending $3k on my daughter's out-of-town national dance competition right now. Does that count?
No because kids are already built-in permanent outrageous purchases. It would be like buying a Lotus and then claiming the maintenance as an outrageous purchase.