Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:00 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:43 am I am spending $3k on my daughter's out-of-town national dance competition right now. Does that count?
No because kids are already built-in permanent outrageous purchases. It would be like buying a Lotus and then claiming the maintenance as an outrageous purchase.
True :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 am
84Cat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:41 am Did you get a seat for your kids? I have an electric Xtracycle cargo bike but haven't bought the seat for my grandson yet.
Yes, I got this thing. Rode my kid to school in it this morning. My kid loves it!

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/support ... w-build-it
Does it have a fart guard?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:44 pm
Longhorned wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 am
84Cat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:41 am Did you get a seat for your kids? I have an electric Xtracycle cargo bike but haven't bought the seat for my grandson yet.
Yes, I got this thing. Rode my kid to school in it this morning. My kid loves it!

https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/support ... w-build-it
Does it have a fart guard?
They might as well advertise that feature with neon letters. When you're on this bike, you aren't hoping to meet women.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The comments on that video on TikTok are gold.

@richblackguy:The ClitClak FlappyWack 6000
@whiskeypyro:Oh wow it’s the clitter clapper lipper slapper 9000
@killa_killa22:the roast beef rotater
@whodatguy2:The tuna tuner 3000
@helpmestoopid:clearly the beaver buffer 4400
@caseykeener:BEAN BOP WAP FLOPPER Pro+ with optional Lip Flicking Berry Buster.
@ghostbacon:Clam Bam Thank You Ma’am 9000
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If it can fly 1500 feet, why does the video show it only at 20 feet?

Looks like the kind of thing your school friends would build with their dad from a kit over the weekend and then not come to class the following Monday because they died.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ground effect is really important to fixed wing flight, but I wonder if it conditions rotor flight as well. I bet that bird is not fun at 1500 meters up.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just bought the wife a diamond ring for Mothers Day.

Fucking outrageous what it costs to buy something that’s not even remotely rare.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm Just bought the wife a diamond ring for Mothers Day.

Fucking outrageous what it costs to buy something that’s not even remotely rare.
I am definitely not letting my wife read this thread...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm Just bought the wife a diamond ring for Mothers Day.

Lab created or dug out of the ground?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:12 pm

Lab created or dug out of the ground?
Dug. Non-conflict . . . supposedly.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm happy my wife was explicitly against buying a real diamond for her engagement ring. We ended up buying a moissanite stone to put in a gold band. Just as nice looking and durable as a diamond. Costs about 10-20% as much. She's a good one and thrifty! Paid 2,500 for something that looks like it costs $15,000.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My wife and I still have our no gifts rule. Wouldn't trade that rule for anything.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

7th row 50yard line at the Chiefs/Steelers game in Arrowhead over the weekend...took my son, worth every penny.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:44 pm 7th row 50yard line at the Chiefs/Steelers game in Arrowhead over the weekend...took my son, worth every penny.
WOW!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm My wife and I still have our no gifts rule. Wouldn't trade that rule for anything.
My wife has repeatedly told me no jewelry and no flowers. Everything else is fair game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My wife's only rule was don't buy anything for the house (like a vacuum cleaner) and give that to her as a gift.

97cats wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:44 pm 7th row 50yard line at the Chiefs/Steelers game in Arrowhead over the weekend...took my son, worth every penny.
Something you both will remember for the rest of your lives!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ok, need some help here.

There is a Sushi Suite in Chicago where basically you go to a really nice suite in a hotel and they do a 17 course sushi dinner. It’s $180 per person with booze.

https://sushibybou.com/about/

I was thinking about taking the wife for our anniversary but I asked her last night what the most she would pay for a meal was per person and she said $120.

Not that big a difference but when we went to Alinea it was like $250 per person and she couldn’t stop talking about how expensive it was. I think it kind of ruined it for her a little bit. Hilariously, the only reason why we went is that her coworker got her a $100 gift card thinking that would cover most of it but really the gift was a $400 bill.

My wife is an Indiana girl and being cheap runs in her veins. It’s not a good purchase unless she gets a good deal on it. And $360 for one meal is NOT a good deal.

Do I do it anyway?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I really hate being rushed through meals especially paying that kind of prices.

We offer 30-minute and 60-minute dining. Our timed seatings help us keep the quality of our fish high but affordable. Our seasoned chefs serve you directly at the sushi counter, guiding you through the meal, and providing a truly exclusive experience.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm toying with the idea of a small second home in Tucson or north Scottsdale. Somebody be the devil's advocate and save me from myself.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 pm Ok, need some help here.

There is a Sushi Suite in Chicago where basically you go to a really nice suite in a hotel and they do a 17 course sushi dinner. It’s $180 per person with booze.

I was thinking about taking the wife for our anniversary but I asked her last night what the most she would pay for a meal was per person and she said $120.

Not that big a difference but when we went to Alinea it was like $250 per person and she couldn’t stop talking about how expensive it was. I think it kind of ruined it for her a little bit. Hilariously, the only reason why we went is that her coworker got her a $100 gift card thinking that would cover most of it but really the gift was a $400 bill.

My wife is an Indiana girl and being cheap runs in her veins. It’s not a good purchase unless she gets a good deal on it. And $360 for one meal is NOT a good deal.

Do I do it anyway?
the sushi thing is an extra special touch and one thats perfect to try or splurge on for an anniversary...plus, its easy to find the sliver of love reasoning when talking about $120 extra in cost - its not $250 more so easier sell.... and im always of the belief of slyly handing the waiter a $100 bill when you walk in, tell him to take that off the bill before he brings it to the table - thats an easy way to handle and save face for anniversary sex hopefully to follow after the $300 plus tip sushi!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat and Mrs Chicat.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:50 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:36 pm Ok, need some help here.

Do I do it anyway?
the sushi thing is an extra special touch and one thats perfect to try or splurge on for an anniversary...plus, its easy to find the sliver of love reasoning when talking about $120 extra in cost - its not $250 more so easier sell.... and im always of the belief of slyly handing the waiter a $100 bill when you walk in, tell him to take that off the bill before he brings it to the table - thats an easy way to handle and save face for anniversary sex hopefully to follow after the $300 plus tip sushi!!
Holy shit that’s brilliant.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i pretty much do it when i eat out with my parents cause they are so old school, whether i pay or he does he always wants to know how much the bill was. depending on party size i tend to vary the amount off the top to prevent my 76 year old father from leaving us earlier than we all want him to dropping dead when the check comes :lol:
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:54 pm Chicat and Mrs Chicat.

Eating Fillet O' Fish

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:05 pm
azgreg wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:54 pm Chicat and Mrs Chicat.

Eating Fillet O' Fish
They have to share their teeth.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Today I bought a $32 can of tuna.

(I made two sandwiches with it on a perfect baguette with olive oil, salt flakes, 5 year old balsamic, burrata, micro greens, olives, and capers.)
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Have you ever done the tinned seafood at The Coronet?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:33 pm Have you ever done the tinned seafood at The Coronet?
Yes! That's where I got into it. Then I realized it's like wine. You can buy it yourself without the mark up.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Outrageous Purchases?

How about this:
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
180g 45RPM 2LP Box Set
$125.00

That's US dollars.

Received MONTHS ago and still not opened.

However at a local retailer today:
Mastered from the Original Master Tapes with Mobile Fidelity's One-Step Process: Paul Simon Still Crazy After All These Years UD1S 180g 45RPM 2LP Box Set Sounds Sensational => $379.00

(That's $AUD379 which is about $USD272)

And on Discogs:

Statistics
Have: 1378
Want: 147
Avg Rating: 4.81 / 5
Ratings: 119
Last Sold: 21 Jan 2022
Lowest: A$117.85
Median: A$179.28
Highest: A$225.89

I've got no pleasure out of it (yet) and while it has appreciated in value, its only doubled.

Conclusion: Yeah, outrageous.

On the other hand, this one looks like a BARGAIN!

Alan Parsons - I Robot
(Lmt Ed UltraDisc One-Step 33.3rpm Vinyl LP Box Set)
Price $100.00
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

When my brother-in-law’s parents move to Denver to be closer to their kids & grandkids, we are going to buy their house, which is right off Campbell just north of Skyline, as a second home/AirB&B property.

So some of you fuckers may be seeing me around town in the near future.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:47 am When my brother-in-law’s parents move to Denver to be closer to their kids & grandkids, we are going to buy their house, which is right off Campbell just north of Skyline, as a second home/AirB&B property.

now this is what i am talking about, Chi!!! get that passive income flowin and use a prop mngmt company its worth it well done well done!!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:19 am
Chicat wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:47 am When my brother-in-law’s parents move to Denver to be closer to their kids & grandkids, we are going to buy their house, which is right off Campbell just north of Skyline, as a second home/AirB&B property.

now this is what i am talking about, Chi!!! get that passive income flowin and use a prop mngmt company its worth it well done well done!!
How much of a cut do property management companies take?

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

for this situation (one off) like 7-8% for a good manager but in some markets can be more (worth every penny, imo)
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:33 am

We use 1. When we bought our 2nd house- we just kept our original house for a rental and I managed it myself.

Fuck that.

I then hired a management company... they charge me 10%... so I upped the rent by 10%.... life is great
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yeah, we live way too far away to manage it ourselves as a short term rental.

I’m really excited about being able to dip into town for quick getaways and to see the Cats play. Would be nice to lay by the pool for a few days, watch Tommy Boy’s team whoop up on some hapless losers, do some hiking (there is nothing behind the house but foothill desert) and get some real Mexican food.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:46 am

We use 1. When we bought our 2nd house- we just kept our original house for a rental and I managed it myself.

Fuck that.

I then hired a management company... they charge me 10%... so I upped the rent by 10%.... life is great
Hmmmm ..... I've been pondering a diplomatic persuasion campaign aimed at Mrs. Dove. Y'all are gonna get me stuck in a land war in Gynasia.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:55 am

Fuck that.

Hmmmm ..... I've been pondering a diplomatic persuasion campaign aimed at Mrs. Dove. Y'all are gonna get me stuck in a land war in Gynasia.
Nothing ever went wrong with my rental... unless it was an emergency on a Holiday.

Now.... I never even get a call when something goes wrong.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Short term rentals management fee is usually 20-30%. Single family homes is 7-10%. We got a deal on our houses in Nebraska at $50/door. Smart thinking chi as real estate will continue to appreciate and you can write off your trips to Tucson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:03 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:55 am

Fuck that.

Nothing ever went wrong with my rental... unless it was an emergency on a Holiday.

Now.... I never even get a call when something goes wrong.
I'm gonna need to start a troop build-up on the border with her. Maybe a faux training exercise. Maybe one of youse could play the breakaway rebel force.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'll buy you a drink
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I have over 35,000 posts on our three message boards and this is my best post ever:

Back before the pandemic, somebody strongly suggested that I invest in a property right behind the Circle K where I'm always giving a dollar to these ragged-looking homeless guys walking up to my car as soon as I pull up to get gas.

"Hey man, can you help me out today?" they say to me.

And there's all these very simple homes with old vehicles in their yards belonging to these obviously struggling, hard-working immigrant families. So I was skeptical about buying a really nice, brand-new, upper-middle class house behind the Circle K with the homeless guys, and initiating gentrification on the families in that neighborhood.

But in order to do due diligence, I looked into the matter fully, and I even go so far as to attend a Sunday service at the Presbyterian church across the street from the property in question. The church is packed with people, and the minister is standing up there talking about nothing to do with scriptures or the evil that's in your heart or Jesus dying for your sins or anything like that.

Instead, the minister is going on about this being yet another Sunday in this church's decades-long commitment to providing sanctuary to central American immigrants who illegally cross our southern border, and how helping these needy people is the most urgent thing for us to do. And the minister goes into all these details about the money they're still raising, and humanitarian efforts all of us are going to do over the coming week in terms of water drop-offs in the desert, and feeding people, and where we're going to bring the immigrants we're helping, and all that stuff.

And then everyone stands up and starts singing hymns. And I'm standing there not knowing the words to the hymns, and I'm looking around. And I start recognizing people I know from work. And I keep looking around and I start recognizing the homeless guys I give a dollar to at the Circle K, all disheveled and ragged, and standing shoulder-to-shoulder singing along with the other churchgoers in their Sunday clothes.

And then while everyone's standing there singing along, these baskets start getting passed around and people are putting money into them. And I look over as a basket reaches the homeless guys, and they reach into their pockets and take out all these dollar bills and earnestly stuff them into the basket and pass it on.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Starting a new desktop computer build with my son as a skill building exercise. Started pricing up parts, saw prices for video cards. Fuckin' crypto miners, fuck, fuck, fuck.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

weeelp .......im now the proud owner of Midwest Regional Full Strips (March 25 and 27) - i dont gamble so this is as risky as i get! they were already expensive and if Duke or Illinois get to Chicago it might get crazy.

yes its a risk and yes it very well might not work out but im all in on Chicago!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s some excellent forethought. You just better hope the Zags don’t lose and spoil your plans.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:27 pm weeelp .......im now the proud owner of Midwest Regional Full Strips (March 25 and 27) - i dont gamble so this is as risky as i get! they were already expensive and if Duke or Illinois get to Chicago it might get crazy.

yes its a risk and yes it very well might not work out but im all in on Chicago!!
That IS outrageous! Bruce Pascoe says Arizona is definitely headed to the south. You fail to ask, "What would Bruce Pascoe do?"
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:35 pm That’s some excellent forethought. You just better hope the Zags don’t lose and spoil your plans.
i figure if they do i can resell and buy again - lmmfao...i just know the tickets i got are going to be outrageous the week of....and, Chi - i got two full strips
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:37 pm
97cats wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:27 pm weeelp .......im now the proud owner of Midwest Regional Full Strips (March 25 and 27) - i dont gamble so this is as risky as i get! they were already expensive and if Duke or Illinois get to Chicago it might get crazy.

That IS outrageous! Bruce Pascoe says Arizona is definitely headed to the south. You fail to ask, "What would Bruce Pascoe do?"
if Bruce says so then im feeling good