Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:38 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:35 pm That’s some excellent forethought. You just better hope the Zags don’t lose and spoil your plans.
i figure if they do i can resell and buy again - lmmfao...i just know the tickets i got are going to be outrageous the week of....and, Chi - i got two full strips
Oh man do I want this meet up to happen. It would be incredible.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

one of Kansas or Baylor should get the South at this point unless something crazy happens
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I have already taken days off. Next will be the outrageous purchase for tickets.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I can't believe Chicat and 97Cats are sending me 1st class round trip tickets to Chicago, court-side tickets to the games, hotel suite and all the steaks I can eat.

You guys are the best!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:57 pm I can't believe Chicat and 97Cats are sending me 1st class round trip tickets to Chicago, court-side tickets to the games, hotel suite and all the steaks I can eat.

You guys are the best!
No more big tourney game Chicago hotel suites for you.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:57 pm I can't believe Chicat and 97Cats are sending me 1st class round trip tickets to Chicago, court-side tickets to the games, hotel suite and all the steaks I can eat.

You guys are the best!
im not sitting courtside, Al... but i do have very, very good seats...and the flights & accommodations, well ill just leave it at that :lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:07 pm

You guys are the best!
No more big tourney game Chicago hotel suites for you.
Fuck Wisconsin
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You guys are the best!
That's nice. I had to tell my daughter to downgrade her College choices because Daddy will soon have a couple of pretty big expenses.

:lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You guys are the best!
Is this one of those “speak it into existence” The Secret things?

Curious to find out if it works…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm Just bought the wife a diamond ring for Mothers Day.

Fucking outrageous what it costs to buy something that’s not even remotely rare.
Just picked it up. I get short of breath just thinking about it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Moissanite. You're welcome
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:39 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm Just bought the wife a diamond ring for Mothers Day.

Fucking outrageous what it costs to buy something that’s not even remotely rare.
You already know this: value and cost are often entirely unrelated. What it means to her is what matters. And you knew that too.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:06 pm

You already know this: value and cost are often entirely unrelated. What it means to her is what matters. And you knew that too.
Ten years ago on Mother’s Day I gave her a different ring, so this one should go over well. I just hope she likes the cut and setting. Although if she doesn’t, the store will buy it back and put what I paid toward whatever she wants.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I proposed last month with a ring that was a moss agate main stone, moonstone side stones, and moissanite accents. Fiance absolutely loves it, and we both really dislike diamonds. $340 for the whole thing. Why get a boring diamond when you can get something with some color?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:19 pm Why get a boring diamond …?
Because my wife likes diamonds.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:47 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:06 pm

Ten years ago on Mother’s Day I gave her a different ring, so this one should go over well. I just hope she likes the cut and setting. Although if she doesn’t, the store will buy it back and put what I paid toward whatever she wants.
And the store also sells bourbon....
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just ordered a new tent for our Colorado trip.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm putting in a new pool liner. Definitely goes under outrageous purchases...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:56 am I'm putting in a new pool liner. Definitely goes under outrageous purchases...
One of my Tucson brothers had his pool redone. 5 figures.

I don't live in a hot climate, but about 10 years ago I filled my inground pool in once my kids got older. Bet decision I ever made.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Pretty sure I'll have to re plaster my pool and redo the pool deck within the next 5-10 years. Not looking forward to it. Oh and also a new AC is in the cards too.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:14 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:56 am I'm putting in a new pool liner. Definitely goes under outrageous purchases...
One of my Tucson brothers had his pool redone. 5 figures.

I don't live in a hot climate, but about 10 years ago I filled my inground pool in once my kids got older. Bet decision I ever made.
And after waiting 2 months because they were backed up the liner doesn't fit and they have to order a new one.
I'm going to kill someone. Wait, do I have to take this now to the venting thread?

:evil: :evil: :evil:
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Just finished moving from Phoenix, AZ to Charlotte, NC. Wife and I are subleasing an apartment for two months. The outrageous purchase was a new build 4400sqft house 5bdr 4bath that should be done in August.

**EDIT**
1200 of the sqft is the basement which I demanded if I was going to move across the country.
Last edited by WildcatStunner on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's a big house. We're hoping to downsize to the 1,000-1,200 sq ft size upon retirement.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oh well it's 3% off, a steal.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:08 pm Now where did I put my AMEX...

https://www.jomashop.com/patek-philippe ... xOfDB8WXww
I've always lusted after a Patek Phillipe, only one of more traditional design.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Nice ride. Do you ever get to drive it?

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:46 am Nice ride. Do you ever get to drive it?
I'm lucky if she let's me look at it.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Not financially an outrageous purchase, but more so suspicious in ethical and professional terms.

I am buying an AI Writing Assistant in order to automatically produce sentences and paragraphs.

I write a lot. For work and outside of work. Emails, Message Boards, Power Points, Reference Material, Journals, Social Media, Reports, Home Work, Research, Creative Projects. All day, every day.

My goal with this AIWA will be to address the most tedious part of writing. Not the editing but rather the structuring of sentences and the stringing of sentences into flowing paragraphs. This is supposed to be the strength of AI writing programs. Human inputs topical info, AI spits out readable drivel.

We’ll see where it goes. For now I’m expecting AI outputs to serve more as prompts to be rewritten by creative effort.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:57 am For now I’m expecting AI outputs to serve more as prompts to be rewritten by creative effort.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer so I need some help with this. AI is going to generate prompts for you to rewrite? How are the original inputs to AI generated? By you? I find this a curious relationship in which the efficiency and causal benefit is unclear.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What a world when it's easier to Photoshop a sign on your lawn than to actually use the real sign to take an image of.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Getting married next week and trying to decide on a honeymoon destination for late August. Current leaders in the clubhouse are Maldives and Bora Bora. Anyone been to either or have any other recs?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Congrats LK! Although I thought you were a confirmed bachelor for life.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Grand Cayman is real nice.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Have you thought of Gila Bend?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Mayan Riviera.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Bora Bora if only because the flight must be five hours shorter.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Maldives are great. But I recommend Exmouth in Western Australia. Diving and snorkeling is probably as good as the Maldives (but a different coral mix), but you get to swim with the Whale Sharks too.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RichardCranium wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:46 pm Maldives are great. But I recommend Exmouth in Western Australia. Diving and snorkeling is probably as good as the Maldives (but a different coral mix), but you get to swim with the Whale Sharks too.
And even more important when contemplating the staggering breadth of conjugal reality is the temporal context implicit in witnessing the Shark Bay stromatolites conveniently en route to Exmouth. Young lovers need ponder our planet's oldest living life forms. I can only imagine that standing with one's betrothed there in the windy silence of Australia's remote Western coast as the origin of oxygen-based terrestrial life quietly continues to labor at life itself will give perspective to love's endeavor.

In Western Australia, 3.5bn-year-old stromatolites built up the oxygen content of the Earth’s atmosphere to about 20%, giving the kiss of life to all that was to evolve.

The kiss of life is but a moment endlessly repeated. The breath of love is infinitely longer.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2021 ... -lifeforms

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Wow, you're a poet too!?!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Nah, just an asshole with decades of an SWMBO and a weakness for Australia(ns).

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Few weekends ago in Vegas was in the Venetian and bought a wallet for $480. Engraved with my initials.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:16 pm Bora Bora if only because the flight must be five hours shorter.
It’s like 10 hours shorter but to the Maldives we’d be taking Qatar business class….versus United to Bora Bora. So that seems about even.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:48 am Few weekends ago in Vegas was in the Venetian and bought a wallet for $480. Engraved with my initials.

Wow. This is certainly consistent with the thread title.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

LK - I hear nothing but fabulous things about Bora Bora. It’s on my bucket list after I rob a bank…

Couples Retreat was shot there. Love the huts with the floor “water view”.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

legallykenny wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:13 am
CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:16 pm Bora Bora if only because the flight must be five hours shorter.
It’s like 10 hours shorter but to the Maldives we’d be taking Qatar business class….versus United to Bora Bora. So that seems about even.
Mmmmm. I've fantasized about Qatar business class. Give us a report afterward.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Yeah, I could probably manage it.