Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by Merkin »

Took JAL to Tokyo to see our daughter and family, and was impressed with their Business Class seating that folds down to beds.

Never even priced it. Main cabin with extended leg room was expensive enough.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's the food and beverage service that sets business class apart from other carriers' business class.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

At Precision Toyota for service. A new Tundra 4x4 crewcab short bed V6 hybrid w/ leather and all the bells and whistles costs 80k before TT&L.

Yeah, no.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm getting pricing on a tankless water heater....
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:12 am I'm getting pricing on a tankless water heater....
Be sure to reckon the nat gas flow needs. Sometimes an upgrade is required to shove enough gas into the heater.

~ Wilhoit's Law
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:12 am I'm getting pricing on a tankless water heater....
We have two of them in our house for opposite sides of the house, which is good because at minimum one is out of service for a month every six months.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I suspect your 'tankless water heater' equates to the Australian 'instantaneous hot water system'.

The one at my Croquet Club lasted at least 35 years before failing the electric safety inspection (I haven't got around to getting it fixed yet, I'm suspect it just needs a new thermostat or something simple like that).

I'm not sure that 'instantaneous' really means 'instant', but it is pretty quick. They are ubiquitous in Australia, and quite reliable. I only ever remember seeing electric powered ones in Oz, but both types are available (we have a solar heated, gas backed, storage system, so I only have the Croquet Club's device as personal experience).

Instant Hot Water Systems: Are they worth it?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm not going to buy one ........ but I lust after a '65 Riviera. They are fucking gorgeous, foolish, inefficient modes of transport, but damn they're sexy!
Maybe a '65 Toronado?
C'mon man! You could run a college pick 'n roll in the front seat alone! Goddamn!

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

My mind wanders to these old Boomer rides because as I have been planning an outrageous purchase trip to Brisbane or a return to NZ's south island (both of which require business class transpacific flights) Mrs. Dove made the daring mistake of offering the following economical compromise: "What we would spend on travel could be spent on that Rav4 Prime you still want. We could use it to go prowl around those Idaho/Montana 4X4 sites we used to work at."

Isn't she the utter embodiment of evil? Note, of course, her use of the royal we. She even teased my frivolous, completely non-serious but repeated references to how cool it would be to put a snorkel on our Prius Prime. She knows I miss my work rigs, and she knows my primitive rig-related male vanity association points, so bringing up buying an SUV with a snorkel is just beyond manipulative fucking cruel female bullshit.

My best vengeance would be to book the south island and order a shit-ton of Otago Pinot to be shipped home. She hates Pinot Noir. We can haul the cases around in "our" new Rav4 Prime.

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

In fairness to you, Otago Pinot Noir is, IMHO, the best Pinot Noir on the planet, bar none

In general, I dislike Pinot too, but I do appreciate the stuff from Otago.

Chard Farm is the bees knees.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Much more outrageous than either a Riveria or a Toronado (neither of which is outrageous, IMHO), is this, which I have just preordered (out in October):

Roger Waters: The Dark Side Of The Moon Redux CD + Black Double Vinyl [Includes Numbered Print]

A sample from the reimagination (which I may have already posted in the cover thread, I can't remember and am too lazy to look up)

Now THAT'S what I call outrageous.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RichardCranium wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:54 am In fairness to you, Otago Pinot Noir is, IMHO, the best Pinot Noir on the planet, bar none

In general, I dislike Pinot too, but I do appreciate the stuff from Otago.

Chard Farm is the bees knees.
Thanks, I always trust your palette. Pinot is like golf in that you're always chasing the memory of a perfect shot that is nearly impossible to reproduce amid the fickleness of the game and the grape. When it's good it's fucking glorious, but in the everydayness of it it mostly disappoints. For its part, Otago does a lot a heavy lifting on my behalf.

~ Wilhoit's Law
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Merkin wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:33 am Took JAL to Tokyo to see our daughter and family, and was impressed with their Business Class seating that folds down to beds.

Never even priced it. Main cabin with extended leg room was expensive enough.

Pretty much all US, Asian and Mideast airlines have all-aisle access business class now. BA and LH are definitely the laggards in that regard.

For some reason Qatar is leasing planes from Cathay, so my first class from Doha to Male was in an originally Cathay plane. Pretty nice but I didn't think it was that much better than American's first class -- which really isn't much better than American's business class (and I actually really like American's reverse herringbone business class).

The Qatar first class lounge is Doha is absolutely insane.

Also, I can't recommend the Waldorf in the Maldives enough. Absolutely incredible property and service. Worth the trip just for the breakfast buffet alone.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:58 pm I'm not going to buy one ........ but I lust after a '65 Riviera. They are fucking gorgeous, foolish, inefficient modes of transport, but damn they're sexy!
Maybe a '65 Toronado?
C'mon man! You could run a college pick 'n roll in the front seat alone! Goddamn!
Tell me you're a boomer without telling me you're a boomer.

Although, next promotion I'm buying an Aston Vantage....
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

legallykenny wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:40 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:58 pm I'm not going to buy one ........ but I lust after a '65 Riviera. They are fucking gorgeous, foolish, inefficient modes of transport, but damn they're sexy!
Maybe a '65 Toronado?
Tell me you're a boomer without telling me you're a boomer.

Although, next promotion I'm buying an Aston Vantage....
Well, Huckleberry, I approve but prefer a vintage Aston. If you'll get off my lawn I'll tout my first and only cool car. When it came to the ladies of Tombstone it was a veritable straight six-cylinder Jaws of Life!
And now in my decrepitude I drive this deltoid pumpkin seed:
Such is the Boomer life.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My ride:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The ride i want:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Greg - I drive the same Edge in gray (hand me down from my wife)

That Camaro looks like my high school best friend's car. What year is that? I think his was 1969.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My wife had a 69 Camaro when we first met. Army green. Her dad loved old American cars so that's what she drove

The Edge, Escape and Transit Connect just got discontinued. Gotta make room for the ev's that are coming
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:34 pm Greg - I drive the same Edge in gray (hand me down from my wife)

That Camaro looks like my high school best friend's car. What year is that? I think his was 1969.
That’s a ‘68.

I had one back in the day.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

69 Camaro. Pretty much my favorite car, but I'm not a good enough mechanic to own one.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

They are a breeze to work on.

I could do almost everything. So much room and simple compared to today’s engines.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:51 am 69 Camaro. Pretty much my favorite car, but I'm not a good enough mechanic to own one.
The one in the picture is a 68.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:51 am 69 Camaro. Pretty much my favorite car, but I'm not a good enough mechanic to own one.
My neighbor has one. It’s got it’s hood up in his garage way more days than it’s getting driven around.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

azgreg wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:44 pm The ride i want:

We are close, Greg. '67 Firebird is my dream, preferably in navy blue.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:20 am
The one in the picture is a 68.
Saw that. Was talking about 84 Cats post. They're both great. If I recall, some minor trim differences and the 69 had windwings I think.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Just got our electronic travel authorizations from New Zealand. Looking at the Oct-Nov timeframe. Planning to operate out of Queenstown and the Otago pinot noir region. Now the outrageousness begins in earnest.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:16 pm Just got our electronic travel authorizations from New Zealand. Looking at the Oct-Nov timeframe. Planning to operate out of Queenstown and the Otago pinot noir region. Now the outrageousness begins in earnest.
Jealous

I'm afraid to go to New Zealand because I think I might never want to come back.
-JB
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:16 pm Just got our electronic travel authorizations from New Zealand. Looking at the Oct-Nov timeframe. Planning to operate out of Queenstown and the Otago pinot noir region. Now the outrageousness begins in earnest.
This is off topic for this thread, but you are forgiven this once.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Other women shopping online: "I'll have what she's having."

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Had a wonderful lunch at The Botswana Butchery. Monkfish, charred octopus and deviled duck livers. The Otago pinot was the best part. Pisa Range Estates '21. Young but wonderful. On Sir Cranium's recommendation there's a Chard Farm in the hotel room. No red hats here. No assault weapons. No Karens so far. No tipping. The sun still transits to the north of me, so I have to see about that. I'll manage.

Bear the fuck down Wildcats football!

~ Wilhoit's Law
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:09 pm Had a wonderful lunch at The Botswana Butchery. Monkfish, charred octopus and deviled duck livers. The Otago pinot was the best part. Pisa Range Estates '21. Young but wonderful. On Sir Cranium's recommendation there's a Chard Farm in the hotel room. No red hats here. No assault weapons. No Karens so far. No tipping. The sun still transits to the north of me, so I have to see about that. I'll manage.

Envious. Lived in Christchurch for a year before moving on to Perth. If you're in Queenstown, consider taking a boat tour out at Milford Sound. Stunning scenery out that way.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

waysouthcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:05 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:09 pm Had a wonderful lunch at The Botswana Butchery. Monkfish, charred octopus and deviled duck livers. The Otago pinot was the best part. Pisa Range Estates '21. Young but wonderful. On Sir Cranium's recommendation there's a Chard Farm in the hotel room. No red hats here. No assault weapons. No Karens so far. No tipping. The sun still transits to the north of me, so I have to see about that. I'll manage.

Envious. Lived in Christchurch for a year before moving on to Perth. If you're in Queenstown, consider taking a boat tour out at Milford Sound. Stunning scenery out that way.
I'm lobbying hard for exactly that. Weather will dictate. Mrs. Dove is on the fence. Any other recommendations?

~ Wilhoit's Law
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:33 am
waysouthcat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:05 am

I'm lobbying hard for exactly that. Weather will dictate. Mrs. Dove is on the fence. Any other recommendations?
I liked nothing better than just driving around the South Island on the coast road, looking at all the sights on the way. Punakaiki, Fox and Franz Josef glaciers, Timaru blue penguin colony, eating mussels in Invercargill, etc.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ruth Chris in San Diego, won't be back. Had to shield my shirt from the splattering butter and the filet was too tough. I've cooked better steaks at home. Also had to watch Ace dock his Lambo boat across the way at Portside Pier. Just sat there watching his flat screen TV
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Jefe wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:49 pm Ruth Chris in San Diego, won't be back. Had to shield my shirt from the splattering butter and the filet was too tough. I've cooked better steaks at home. Also had to watch Ace dock his Lambo boat across the way at Portside Pier. Just sat there watching his flat screen TV
I've never seen the appeal or value in RC. Mostly hype and over-pricing much like that asshole Ace.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I have 0 desire to go to a "high end" steakhouse. I don't want to pay $64 for a steak with 0 sides that is just as good as I can make at home for $30.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Saw a youtube video previewing the 2024 AMG GT. I'm definitely smitten.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Going to London for 10days over thanksgiving

With family of five and my MIL.

FIL died in sept, and my wife and MIL really want to go to see family and friends there, MIL is covering a good portion as a “thanks” for all the support we gave the last few months (which we’re glad to have done, no questions asked) but damn…for all the shit we are doing, I’m gonna have to work another year.

Royal ballet
Abba voyage
London eye and River Thames
Train and two nights in York
Afternoon Christmas tea
Two tickets to England v malta at wembly
Ice skating
Thanksgiving at some 40th floor look out

Not to mention funds for my gin drink mainline that will get me through this trip.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CalStateTempe wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:24 am Going to London for 10days over thanksgiving

With family of five and my MIL.

FIL died in sept, and my wife and MIL really want to go to see family and friends there, MIL is covering a good portion as a “thanks” for all the support we gave the last few months (which we’re glad to have done, no questions asked) but damn…for all the shit we are doing, I’m gonna have to work another year.

Royal ballet
Abba voyage
London eye and River Thames
Train and two nights in York
Afternoon Christmas tea
Two tickets to England v malta at wembly
Ice skating
Thanksgiving at some 40th floor look out

Not to mention funds for my gin drink mainline that will get me through this trip.
I recommend

Tower of London and the crown jewels - My aunt insisted she take me there (against my objections) - one of my favorite attractions of all.
British Museum - maybe best in the world (too much for one visit, though)
Get local recommendations for a favorite East Indian restaurant - you won't be disappointed
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks PC - yup we are doing those as well!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Looks like I’ll just miss you CST. Going the second week of December. You’ll have to give me a full report.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Have fun CST

I had the best fish and chips of my life in York. So hard to find anything decent in the states.

We were disappointed in the one Indian takeaway we tried in Chiswick.
-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:32 pmI have 0 desire to go to a "high end" steakhouse. I don't want to pay $64 for a steak with 0 sides that is just as good as I can make at home for $30.
Exactly, I picked up some massive 13 day aged filets from Rancheros for $47 and cooked them to perfection on the blackstone. Client gave me a $100 gift card and we had never been so what the hell. $275 later...Delicious chocolate old fashioneds though

Ive heard Cowboy Star in San Diego is much better. Trying that next time and friends have told me Bobs Chop House in Tucson has the best local steak
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

All this month:

Glasses for myself: $210
Glasses for Mrs azgreg: $300
Brakes for my youngest sons car: $110
Tires for my car: $510
Weekend trip to Vegas: $1800
New ductwork for the house: $8500

Being a member of the Wildcat community: priceless
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I think you maximized your $ damn well. What you can shell out for glasses these days is fucking ridiculous. The other categories are minefields as well.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Oh, and the wife wants to replace the windows this fall. That'll be cheap.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:10 am I think you maximized your $ damn well. What you can shell out for glasses these days is fucking ridiculous. The other categories are minefields as well.
Good news. Our Dillard's stock just paid a dividend that will pay for all of it and then some.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:13 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:10 am I think you maximized your $ damn well. What you can shell out for glasses these days is fucking ridiculous. The other categories are minefields as well.
Good news. Our Dillard's stock just paid a dividend that will pay for all of it and then some.
As I recall, that Dillard stock has been a barn burner.

~ Wilhoit's Law