Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:42 pm
azgreg wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:13 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:10 am I think you maximized your $ damn well. What you can shell out for glasses these days is fucking ridiculous. The other categories are minefields as well.
Good news. Our Dillard's stock just paid a dividend that will pay for all of it and then some.
As I recall, that Dillard stock has been a barn burner.
There are those who say retail drove the recovery.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Rented this R8 over the weekend as its the only car that excites me any more and now I want one. It would not be fun stop light to stop light in Tucson though as it needs a nearby track, twisty mountain roads and wide open highways to enjoy this machine properly. Rumor is they are ending production so values may actually come back up and I think they've already hit bottom. 35K miles could be had for about $60K in the V8 or about $90K in the V10

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:45 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:42 pm
azgreg wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:13 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:10 am I think you maximized your $ damn well. What you can shell out for glasses these days is fucking ridiculous. The other categories are minefields as well.
Good news. Our Dillard's stock just paid a dividend that will pay for all of it and then some.
As I recall, that Dillard stock has been a barn burner.
There are those who say retail drove the recovery.
Doom spending they call it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m done stimulating londons Christmas time economy.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:18 pm I’m done stimulating londons Christmas time economy.
Been a long since I've been there. I'm guessing London hotel room rates are still at face-melting levels.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

They are.

Kids wanted to buy a bunch of shit
Wife wanted to buy a bunch of shit
Everyone wanted to see a bunch of shit
I wanted to eat and dine and drink at a bunch of shit.

We had a blast…and I have quite a bit more miles on my AA card….

Now I need to figure out a side hustle to pay it all off.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Start gunning NIO options in your margin account!! Don't be bashful Doc! Tuck In!

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol…I don’t think the 3/20-9/20 market is coming back any time soon.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Melbourne real estate agent loses bid for $30,000 refund for sneakers sold by schoolboy
Tribunal finds 17-year-old seller was not old enough to ‘enter into contracts’ after buyer suspected shoes were fake

A Melbourne real estate agent who spent almost $30,000 on sneakers he suspects are counterfeit is not entitled to a refund because he knowingly bought them off a 17-year-old student.
The limited-edition sneakers were released in a fixed quantity of 8,500 low tops and 4,700 high tops, each individually numbered, in 2020. They were only sold via a raffle system, which allowed one pair per customer.

The man said the teenager, who is now an adult, claimed at the time to have “a system with some international associates” who entered raffles across the world and sent the sneakers to him.

He paid the boy $3,800 for a pair of the Dior X Air Jordan sneakers, and then went on to purchase three more pairs for $4,800, $6,700 and $10,000. He also paid $2,690 each for three pairs of Air Jordan 1, in the Bred, Chicago and Royal colour schemes.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just bought a new washer and dryer.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Just picked up a one ton 4x4 dually diesel double cab pickup with a Lance cab over camper. Completely pristine and only 27000 miles on it.

The better half and I want to travel and get out of the damn heat in the summer.

Stoked.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:30 pm Just picked up a one ton 4x4 dually diesel double cab pickup with a Lance cab over camper. Completely pristine and only 27000 miles on it.

The better half and I want to travel and get out of the damn heat in the summer.

Stoked.
Dodge? Ford? Chevy? I've always lusted for a Cummins. I've had several travel trailers, but those Lance COCs can be really sweet. That's the brand I'd go for. Good thing is yours has had all its shake-down tests and should be performing perfectly. Enjoy the road CD!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:59 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:30 pm Just picked up a one ton 4x4 dually diesel double cab pickup with a Lance cab over camper. Completely pristine and only 27000 miles on it.

Stoked.
Dodge? Ford? Chevy? I've always lusted for a Cummins. I've had several travel trailers, but those Lance COCs can be really sweet. That's the brand I'd go for. Good thing is yours has had all its shake-down tests and should be performing perfectly. Enjoy the road CD!
Thanks buddy. It's a 2016 Dodge Cummins.

Alot to learn about how all the stuff works.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:41 pm

Stoked.

Things to consider when boondocking: using 2 big 6 volt batteries instead of 2 12s (heavy as fuck); getting a small generator to obviate that battery issue altogether; solar panels?; figuring a way to increase water capacity (women need to be trained in water use!); those tiny propane tanks don't last especially long; a spare baby air compressor means the world when you need it.

I had 2 55 gallon barrels in my pickup bed that really added water capacity, but we had to shower every night. 3 (bigger) propane tanks saved a ton of town trips. Damn, now I'm jealous!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:29 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:41 pm

Stoked.

Things to consider when boondocking: using 2 big 6 volt batteries instead of 2 12s (heavy as fuck); getting a small generator to obviate that battery issue altogether; solar panels?; figuring a way to increase water capacity (women need to be trained in water use!); those tiny propane tanks don't last especially long; a spare baby air compressor means the world when you need it.

I had 2 55 gallon barrels in my pickup bed that really added water capacity, but we had to shower every night. 3 (bigger) propane tanks saved a ton of town trips. Damn, now I'm jealous!
Thanks Dove. Yeah I need to get a generator installed.

It's got solar panels and two gel 22v deep cycles but I really have no idea how it all works together.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have a ViAir portable air compressor that goes to 110+ PSI. It has been very helpful many a camping trip.

We also carry the predator 3500 watt genset from Harbor Freight that is quiet and a must for us when we boondock. We use a single solar panel during the day for our two battery setup but it always helps to have that genset

We also have a Ram as we feel Cummins is the best choice to carry or tow. Have fun and be safe and carrying extra water and gas is never a bad thing
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I am in the process of collecting the materials to build a trailer like this one.

The build thread can be found here: https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44671
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Just completed most of the task of securing visas to Australia. (This time Brisbane and up the coast to the NT) The app for securing the NTA/visa is a fiddly poke in the eye, but apparently a lot of the previous bugs have been ironed out as this dinosaur was able to get it done after a couple frustrating tries. In 72 hours I find out if I can start spending the real money. If everything goes to plan we'll leave just after taxes get filed.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:55 am Just completed most of the task of securing visas to Australia. (This time Brisbane and up the coast to the NT) The app for securing the NTA/visa is a fiddly poke in the eye, but apparently a lot of the previous bugs have been ironed out as this dinosaur was able to get it done after a couple frustrating tries. In 72 hours I find out if I can start spending the real money. If everything goes to plan we'll leave just after taxes get filed.

So you need the visa before you book plane tickets?

I'm hoping to book NZ and/or Oz later this year for our 30th.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:04 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:55 am Just completed most of the task of securing visas to Australia. (This time Brisbane and up the coast to the NT) The app for securing the NTA/visa is a fiddly poke in the eye, but apparently a lot of the previous bugs have been ironed out as this dinosaur was able to get it done after a couple frustrating tries. In 72 hours I find out if I can start spending the real money. If everything goes to plan we'll leave just after taxes get filed.

So you need the visa before you book plane tickets?

I'm hoping to book NZ and/or Oz later this year for our 30th.
I wait for visas before booking anything. Our recent NZ trip took place because the Aussie visa app was so problematic at previous attempts that I just bailed. Already I can't remember the hoops I jumped through to get NZ permissions, but they obviously didn't leave any trauma markers in my sieve-like Boomer brain. You can apply online for Aussie visas but they cost AU$190 each (instead of the app-based AU$20) and the response time is way longer. IIRC a couple years ago you could only go the app route for Aussie visas and the success rate was pitiful. At that point the interwebs were a wailing wall of pissed off people who had booked accommodation and were lost in the twilight zone of app failure and inability to get progress updates on what few applications were successfully requested but were lost in processing. I'd leave myself a lot of lead time just to be safe. The tourist visa/ETA is good for a year so build in some time for shit to happen.

Let me know if you have trouble with the app. We can share war stories.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Got the visas sorted a while back and then Mrs. Dove got a jury summons for late April. We decided to shoehorn the Brisbane trip into the window at hand. Only real drawback is it transpires during the entirety of Arizona Sweet16 through the Natty game. I consider this the quintessential reverse jinx set-up. so ........

"The anus is on YOU Raylan Givens!"

I know I'm the voice of understated, genteel restraint and uplifting optimism around here, but in my absence is it too much to ask that y'all grow a pair and show some fucking vulgar team spirit? Our team is counting on it. We're leaving Wednesday AM so Bear The Fuck Down Bitches!

~ Wilhoit's Law