Outrageous Purchases Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BearDown89

Re: Outrageous Purchases Thread

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I'm thinking about taking up mountaineering...and setting a goal of climbing Mt Shasta in 2018.
Update. I'm really doing this.

Reading "Freedom of the Hills" like it's the Bible or Harrison's medical textbook.
4day backpacking trip in marble mountain wilderness June 2017
2 day rock climbing, ice self arrest, and crevice rescue course at tioga pass Yosemite in July
3day thru hike in desolation wilderness in august.
A ton of backcountry skiing winter 2017-2018.
3day Avalanche course in truckee feb 2018.
Shasta expedition march/April 2018.

With some planning and knowing where to get the technical gear (not rei) the only major expenses are the courses and the expedition. I already have all the backpacking and ski gear. Will have to probably update to more lightweight versions along the way.

Main goal now is to continue to get fit and work on endurance, so I can get up an back safely. Nutrition too.

I'm not a runner, but I can imagine this is similar to training for a marathon, it forces you to evaluate and make complete lifestyle changes. And I'm ok with cutting out the regular beer and wine if it keeps me from these goals.

Also, I absolutely love living in Sacramento. As a metro area it fits me perfectly, and geographically is within 6hrs of anywhere I'd want to go (LA, SF, Tahoe, Reno, Sierras, Shasta, Napa/Sonoma, Yosemite, Southern Oregon). The only downside the is the airport is still largely a "regional" international airport and that won't change being so close to sfo. But the rare drive to sfo for a flight I want isn't that bad, especially with a place to crash at the inlaws.
That's awesome CST. I've not done any high peaks mountaineering myself, but I'm a big fan of mountaineering if there is such a thing. I've read many many mountaineering books over the years. I just love the adventure, commitment, grit and balls it takes to climb the high peaks. It all started with "Tiger of the Snows: The Autobiography of Tenzing of Everest" - about Tenzing Norgay, the Sherpa who first summited Everest with Sir Edmund Hilary in 1953.

Keep us posted. I'll be rooting for you.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CST, are you watching the Everest climbers? The snapchats have been amazing. Adrian Ballinger was inspiring to say the least. I would never climb Everest but I ;ove watching others do it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 354064001/#" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks 84 i missed this. Some great photos. I'm with you man, I'll never go after everest, but I love mentally tripping out reading about all the everest stories each season.

41hours, no sleep, craziness. at 41. Those dudes have to be in some crazy good shape.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Not necessarily outrageous, but definitely impulsive . . . Been keeping my eyes open for a while and suddenly there it was. That's a little beast right there. #summerrig #rustycage

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Recently paid over $600 for a Briggs and Riley suitcase. I'd always bought my luggage from Costco, which sells Kirkland suitcases that are decent, in my opinion. Guess I decided to step it up.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

84Cat wrote:CST, are you watching the Everest climbers? The snapchats have been amazing. Adrian Ballinger was inspiring to say the least. I would never climb Everest but I ;ove watching others do it.

How about this guy?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 52006.html" target="_blank

Spanish man climbs Mount Everest in fastest known time, completely on his own
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:
84Cat wrote:CST, are you watching the Everest climbers? The snapchats have been amazing. Adrian Ballinger was inspiring to say the least. I would never climb Everest but I ;ove watching others do it.

How about this guy?

Yeah, he is insanely fit although I think he is only the 2nd fastest. He was originally an ultrarunner who changed to climbing.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:Recently paid over $600 for a Briggs and Riley suitcase. I'd always bought my luggage from Costco, which sells Kirkland suitcases that are decent, in my opinion. Guess I decided to step it up.
nice, just bought a TUMI hanging bag for a bit more -- totally worth it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I recently paid over $45 for a pair of adidas sneakers.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I recently paid over $45 for a pair of adidas sneakers.

:o :shock: :lol:
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

My fairly recent acquisitions:
4k Drone $1500
3d Printer $1200
3d scanner $900
6 person hot tub up next... $5500
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

UAdevil wrote:6 person hot tub up next... $5500
Are hot tubs cheaper in the summer? :lol:

Friend of mine is offering this up for free. Just gotta pick it up

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

84Cat wrote:
Jefe wrote:

How about this guy?

Yeah, he is insanely fit although I think he is only the 2nd fastest. He was originally an ultrarunner who changed to climbing.
He also summited Everett without O2 TWICE this season. Something like twice in one week.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BearDown89 wrote:Not necessarily outrageous, but definitely impulsive . . . Been keeping my eyes open for a while and suddenly there it was. That's a little beast right there. #summerrig #rustycage

This is bad ass!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:Not necessarily outrageous, but definitely impulsive . . . Been keeping my eyes open for a while and suddenly there it was. That's a little beast right there. #summerrig #rustycage

This is bad ass!!!
Thanks CST! First little jaunt last night not too far from home . . .
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Nice Jeep! If you ever bring it to Tucson, we'll have to hit the trails.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I shouldn't have opened my mouth about remodeling the house to the wife. It has escalated quickly and there is no turning back now! Shopped for flooring samples yesterday, kitchen cabinet and countertop shopping Saturday.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Frybry02 wrote:I shouldn't have opened my mouth about remodeling the house to the wife. It has escalated quickly and there is no turning back now! Shopped for flooring samples yesterday, kitchen cabinet and countertop shopping Saturday.
I suspect I'm in for a $5k-$8k bathroom remodeling in the next few weeks because SWMBO doesn't like cleaning behind the toilet pan. There's a 4 or 5 inch space between the pan and the wall that brooms and vacuums don't get to easily. I admit I don't like having to get down on the floor to clean it either, but it isn't a "$5000 complete bathroom make-over only 6 years after the previous makeover" dislike for crying out loud.

New toilet with hidden cistern coming soon to a bathroom near me. New cupboard, bench top, sink, taps. Sewer outflow may need to be moved to if it isn't in the right place for cistern mounted in wall. Tile repairs may require complete room tiling to make it good.

And how long before she decides that the new cupboard is too close to the toilet seat and she can't sit on it comfortably?

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Bought the $160 (well, $200 with fees) seats for the U2 Joshua Tree show in San Diego. Had the $100 ones in Pasadena.

Still want to know where my Phoenix show is.

But, yeah...also forked out the fanclub money to get a presale password, which gets me a "gift" of the album singles on vinyl. Which is about the cost of the membership, so the presale code was free, essentially.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

RichardCranium wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I shouldn't have opened my mouth about remodeling the house to the wife. It has escalated quickly and there is no turning back now! Shopped for flooring samples yesterday, kitchen cabinet and countertop shopping Saturday.
I suspect I'm in for a $5k-$8k bathroom remodeling in the next few weeks because SWMBO doesn't like cleaning behind the toilet pan. There's a 4 or 5 inch space between the pan and the wall that brooms and vacuums don't get to easily. I admit I don't like having to get down on the floor to clean it either, but it isn't a "$5000 complete bathroom make-over only 6 years after the previous makeover" dislike for crying out loud.

New toilet with hidden cistern coming soon to a bathroom near me. New cupboard, bench top, sink, taps. Sewer outflow may need to be moved to if it isn't in the right place for cistern mounted in wall. Tile repairs may require complete room tiling to make it good.

And how long before she decides that the new cupboard is too close to the toilet seat and she can't sit on it comfortably?

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh.
Please send your contractor my way. I still haven't found one who will give a reasonable quote.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

RichardCranium wrote:

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh.
I don't want to know what it is going to cost for the current new bathroom plan. Going to need to completely replumb.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

legallykenny wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh.
Please send your contractor my way. I still haven't found one who will give a reasonable quote.
Doesn't RC live in Australia?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Right, RC is in OZ. The commute may push his estimate a bit higher.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Well cabinets purchased. A lot less expensive than I thought. Definitely blew our savings on the granite we purchased.
http://67.202.78.101/FileUpload/Files/a ... _35821.jpg
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Picked up a new red Wildcat baseball hat today and already received a global Bear Down with it.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

first class airfare -- i cant stop
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Sold my house in April, made a decent profit. Inherited my grandmother's paid off home. Now fully debt free.

Just bought a jacuzzi and am taking my 6 girlfriend on a $9000 vacation next month.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAdevil wrote:Sold my house in April, made a decent profit. Inherited my grandmother's paid off home. Now fully debt free.

Just bought a jacuzzi and am taking my 6 girlfriend on a $9000 vacation next month.

Six girlfriends? Impressive
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Profit on a house? How's that possible.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My roommate bought a $1300 ticket to see his Capitols play in the first round in Vegas.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Got a new beach towel at Costco yesterday. Quality! Had to grab it before they run out. Ten bucks.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A gift for your wife or girlfriend, a shawl for those cold winter nights.

https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/women ... vIQAvD_BwE" target="_blank

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gonna drop some coin on a ski mountaineering/alpine touring kit.

Wife/household CFO gonna give me a serious talking too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

About to book an anniversary trip to the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar in the Bahamas.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:About to book an anniversary trip to the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar in the Bahamas.
Enjoy it Chi!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Chicat wrote:About to book an anniversary trip to the Grand Hyatt Baha Mar in the Bahamas.
Enjoy it Chi!
Oh I think we will. Place looks amazing.

Just booked a week there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I might buy a new vacuum soon! Also, we've paid off over $7000 in debt in the last 3 months. Not an outrageous purchase but it feels damn good.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm a moron. But we miss Arizona. Closed on a second home. My wife has managed to establishe me as the author of the entire idea. Twice a moron.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Have my eye on an IWC Pilot's Watch. Just need the 8 month renovation nightmare to finally end.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:I'm a moron. But we miss Arizona. Closed on a second home. My wife has managed to establishe me as the author of the entire idea. Twice a moron.
Soooooooo ..... you’re now a snowbird? Next you’ll be telling the youngsters in McKale to sit down. ;)
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Enjoy it Chi!
Oh I think we will. Place looks amazing.

Just booked a week there.
You should just stay with Ayton's family.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:I'm a moron. But we miss Arizona. Closed on a second home. My wife has managed to establishe me as the author of the entire idea. Twice a moron.
Soooooooo ..... you’re now a snowbird? Next you’ll be telling the youngsters in McKale to sit down. ;)
Probably don't qualify as snowbird since it snows less in San Antonio than Sedona. But we do hope to lose the gills we've grown down here.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I want one of these (or comparable).

https://www.dreamarcades.com/v32.html" target="_blank

A cool $2800 before options.

Includes the following games:

Atari® Game Pack
Asteroids®
Asteroids Deluxe®
Battlezone®
Black Widow™
Centipede®
Crystal Castles®
Gravitar®
Liberator™
Lunar Lander™
Major Havoc™
Millipede™
Missile Command®
Pong®
Red Baron™
Super Breakout®
Space Duel™
Tempest™
Warlords® Midway® Game Pack
Spy Hunter®
Defender®
Defender II®
Gauntlet®
Joust®
Joust 2®
Paperboy®
Rampage®
Robotron 2084®
Smash TV®
Bubbles®
RoadBlasters®
Blaster®
Rampart
Sinistar®
SuperSprint®
Marble Madness®
720®
Toobin'® SPLAT!®
Satan's Hollow®
Vindicators®
Root Beer Tapper®

Namco Museum® Pack
PAC-MAN®
MS. PAC-MAN®
Rally-X®
Xevious®
Mappy®

Digital Leisure Pack
Dragon's Lair®
Dragon's Lair II®
Space Ace®

- Plus 60
Atari 2600 games
And Free Additional add-on packs
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Now THERE is my childhood dream, with all the games I grew up on. In the '80s, just ONE of those set-top arcade games would easily run you $7,500.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

azgreg wrote:I want one of these (or comparable).

Atari® Game Pack
Asteroids®
Asteroids Deluxe®
Battlezone®
Black Widow™
Centipede®
Crystal Castles®
Gravitar®
Liberator™
Lunar Lander™
Major Havoc™
Millipede™
Missile Command®
Pong®
Red Baron™
Super Breakout®
Space Duel™
Tempest™
Spy Hunter®
Defender®
Defender II®
Gauntlet®
Joust®
Joust 2®
Paperboy®
Rampage®
Robotron 2084®
Smash TV®
Bubbles®
RoadBlasters®
Blaster®
Rampart
Sinistar®
SuperSprint®
Marble Madness®
720®
Toobin'® SPLAT!®
Satan's Hollow®
Vindicators®
Root Beer Tapper®

Namco Museum® Pack
PAC-MAN®
MS. PAC-MAN®
Rally-X®
Xevious®
Mappy®

Digital Leisure Pack
Dragon's Lair®
Dragon's Lair II®
Space Ace®

- Plus 60
Atari 2600 games
You could build (or have someone else build) a MAME cabinet for way less than that. My brother has one, and it has a much better selection of games. My 4 year old niece LOVES Metal Slug 3.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alpine touring (ski mountaineering) boots.

But to avoid paying a season of lift tickets, a good set of boots that will last me 5-8 seasons, and earning my turns in pristine untouched wilderness (gotta get up to get down) = priceless.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I guess the Lotus qualified as an outrageous(ly unnecessary) purchase. I had a 2014 Evora S in Dubai that I special ordered in the Lamborghini green Verde Ithaca. That was also outrageous, but at least I had an income that would justify it back then.

I ended up having to pay cash for the house in Tucson because post-real estate crash the banks won’t give out loans based on assets. And they won’t consider income that was earned overseas. So now I have a house with not enough furniture in it and I can’t really justify buying anything after the house and car purchase. And I still need to build a garage so the pack rats stop nibbling on my car and truck. And eventually a 2nd story addition to the house to take advantage of the views.

But since Longhorned started with awesome modern furniture, I’ll add the couch I’m eyeing once I recharge the bank account. A lot of people don’t like this classic Togo sofa made by Ligne Roset and designed by Michel Ducaroy in the 1970s . . . but I have to have one. Price varies, but around $10,000-18,000 depending on fabric and number of sections.

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azgreg wrote:I want one of these (or comparable).

Atari® Game Pack
Asteroids®
Asteroids Deluxe®
Battlezone®
Black Widow™
Centipede®
Crystal Castles®
Gravitar®
Liberator™
Lunar Lander™
Major Havoc™
Millipede™
Missile Command®
Pong®
Red Baron™
Super Breakout®
Space Duel™
Tempest™
Spy Hunter®
Defender®
Defender II®
Gauntlet®
Joust®
Joust 2®
Paperboy®
Rampage®
Robotron 2084®
Smash TV®
Bubbles®
RoadBlasters®
Blaster®
Rampart
Sinistar®
SuperSprint®
Marble Madness®
720®
Toobin'® SPLAT!®
Satan's Hollow®
Vindicators®
Root Beer Tapper®

Namco Museum® Pack
PAC-MAN®
MS. PAC-MAN®
Rally-X®
Xevious®
Mappy®

Digital Leisure Pack
Dragon's Lair®
Dragon's Lair II®
Space Ace®

- Plus 60
Atari 2600 games
Way late on this, but you can actually dowoad these games, install an emulator on a Raspberry Pi, and then use a multi button joy stick + pad to play them. All costing about $40. Not the same, but there are many tutorials on Reddit about how to make full size and mini size acrade cabinet.

My Pi has every NES, SNES, SEGA, N64, and a ton of arcade games. I use my XBOX One controller to play them all.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Picked up a 75" Samsung QLED tv as my present to myself for hitting my bonus target last year.

I have an eye on an IWC Pilot's Watch if things go right in a couple of weeks.

Do we have any electric car connoisseurs here? Really curious in what will be coming out in the next few years from real companies (i.e. not Tesla) because I want to hold off on trading my car in until there are quality electrics available.