Post Your Job Thread --

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: Post Your Job Thread --

Post by Puerco »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:About to slide into semi-retirement. Keep working, guys. Those payroll taxes are very meaningful to me!
What is semi-retirement? Half the work, all the pay?
So much for that. Joined a political campaign (Congress) as communications director. Never been busier. Watched last three games on DVR.

Gotta go!
Flake?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:About to slide into semi-retirement. Keep working, guys. Those payroll taxes are very meaningful to me!
What is semi-retirement? Half the work, all the pay?
So much for that. Joined a political campaign (Congress) as communications director. Never been busier. Watched last three games on DVR.

Gotta go!
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm Josh, Sam and CJ rolled into one. We don't have a "West Wing" budget. It's the Washington 5th District (Spokane and environs). Trying to take down No. 4 in House leadership (Cathy McMorris Rodgers). National story if we do. Stay tuned!
Right where I want to be.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

gumby wrote:I'm Josh, Sam and CJ rolled into one. We don't have a "West Wing" budget. It's the Washington 5th District (Spokane and environs). Trying to take down No. 4 in House leadership (Cathy McMorris Rodgers). National story if we do. Stay tuned!
Hopefully by the time it’s over you’ll look better than Josh did in The Post.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Just saw this

I own a commercial real estate investment firm based in Newport that specializes in raising capital from investors to acquire mostly office and multi-family assets throughout Southern California. We typically focus on heavy value add projects aka Flip this house but on steroids. We also do major re-entitlement projects of existing assets or raw land and have done three large scale affordable housing development projects.

I have a partner and now three direct employees. We outsource a lot via consultants and third party management firms. My partner runs our residential division and I run the commercial division. Literally started alone in a 800 SF office about 4.5 years ago. Been a really fun ride and now we are in 1,300 sf and out growing that now.

I am also an adjunct professor where I teach a graduate level real estate development/investing class in the spring semester at a local university. Done that for five years. Have so much respect for teachers as it’s hard work but very rewarding when you have students who are motivated to learn.

Leaving my old job and starting my own company outside of marrying my wife and having my kids was best decision I ever made. I simply hate working for other people. Way too much risk in it.

If anyone is ever thinking of starting their own deal, always happy to provide any guidance I can. Also willing to talk at length about co-working(WeWork) and what a massive bubble that is
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't know what I am anymore, but I have tenure at the University of Arizona, and I currently report to a vice president who reports to President Robbins. I'm trying to get back to just research, teaching, and service.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Retired from Johnny Appleseed grunt forestry. Put over 2 million trees into the ground. Worked every western state except Nevada. I don't miss the work but I miss the mission shared in solitude with a singular woman. Victoria, it could never have been anyone but you.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Retired from Johnny Appleseed grunt forestry. Put over 2 million trees into the ground. Worked every western state except Nevada. I don't miss the work but I miss the mission shared in solitude with a singular woman. Victoria, it could never have been anyone but you.
They don’t like trees in Nevada?

I’m a Professor of Practice teaching architecture at a university in the UAE. We have been accredited by NAAB, the US architecture school accrediting body since 2009 . . . the only school outside of North America to have that designation. I taught there for 11 years before moving to Brooklyn for a year and then on to Tucson this past summer. The school in Sharjah/Dubai offered me a contract to come back and teach one semester per year for half of my Associate Professor ending salary—which seemed like too good of a deal to turn down for 4 months of work per year. So now I’ll do 8 months in Tucson and 4 in Dubai as long as I don’t come back to find my house burned down and my cats living with the neighbor’s dogs. I taught last fall at the architecture school at UofA and will probably do so again next year. In spare time, I do freelance design work and furniture design.

Very cool to hear about the impressive and diverse work done by the BDW community!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Very cool stuff. I went to Dubai when I was in graduate school for a week in 2008. From a real estate perspective it’s unreal

Are you involved at all in the new masters of real estate development program at Arizona through the architecture school? I have never made any connections to it and was always curious to learn more about how they are doing. I have long supported the entrepreneurship program at Eller which I graduated from, but was always curious to learn more about the new real estate program at Arizona.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:I don't know what I am anymore, but I have tenure at the University of Arizona, and I currently report to a vice president who reports to President Robbins. I'm trying to get back to just research, teaching, and service.
Woah! You left your Indiana Jones gig?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I don't know what I am anymore, but I have tenure at the University of Arizona, and I currently report to a vice president who reports to President Robbins. I'm trying to get back to just research, teaching, and service.
Woah! You left your Indiana Jones gig?
I was "invited" to leave teaching and research, but I've declined the offer twice, and I'm fighting now to disentangle myself from all the administrative responsibilities that got stuck to me. I don't know anybody who has been in this liminal position, so I'm doing my best. I'm protected by my contract. And sometimes the best you can do is not respond to emails and disappoint everyone who needs things from you.