Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: Venting Thread

Post by Puerco »

Longhorned wrote:Maybe next somebody can inform the higher-ups and get the boss fired.
Parents are probably best placed to do that, wouldn't you think?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Previous Mouse Trap RAP champion ready to help out if a new trap design is needed
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's very clever.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Limit of one mouse per contraption. I wouldn't go so far as "cruelty-free." The next step is to release the mouse, which will either be devoured by a predator, or run into my house where he'll either drown or get his neck snapped.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

2nd time in 8 months I've been laid out by some form of food poisoning or stomach flu. Barely functioning to be able to crawl to the bathroom.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:Limit of one mouse per contraption. I wouldn't go so far as "cruelty-free." The next step is to release the mouse, which will either be devoured by a predator, or run into my house where he'll either drown or get his neck snapped.
not to mention that the mouse has to be dealt with while alive, by a person. That's not cruelty free to either creature. I can just imagine someone being freaked out while trying to put a lid back on that bottle while the mouse is freaking out inside.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:2nd time in 8 months I've been laid out by some form of food poisoning or stomach flu. Barely functioning to be able to crawl to the bathroom.
The silver lining is that you'll jump start the next phase of your weight loss.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

There's a "suspicious device" at McClelland Hall currently.

TPD bomb squad on the scene.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Of course my upstairs AC craps out in the middle of the first heat wave of the year. $600 for the possible fix or $10K to replace the damned thing. This hopes and prayers fix better work.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

When I left the house at 830 this morning there was no A/C. But the property management company says they can't do anything about it yet unless my wife or I left work early...which neither of us can. So I am just hoping it is working when I get home.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

legallykenny wrote:Of course my upstairs AC craps out in the middle of the first heat wave of the year. $600 for the possible fix or $10K to replace the damned thing. This hopes and prayers fix better work.
Welcome to home ownership!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

scumdevils86 wrote:When I left the house at 830 this morning there was no A/C. But the property management company says they can't do anything about it yet unless my wife or I left work early...which neither of us can. So I am just hoping it is working when I get home.
Welcome to your place being run by a management company!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

SCCats wrote:
legallykenny wrote:Of course my upstairs AC craps out in the middle of the first heat wave of the year. $600 for the possible fix or $10K to replace the damned thing. This hopes and prayers fix better work.
Welcome to home ownership!
I paid $7500 for a new AC 2 weeks ago. The old one was 18 years old and the yearly upkeep was getting out of hand. The new one is quieter and keeps the house cooler for less monthly costs.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

SCCats wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:When I left the house at 830 this morning there was no A/C. But the property management company says they can't do anything about it yet unless my wife or I left work early...which neither of us can. So I am just hoping it is working when I get home.
Welcome to your place being run by a management company!
yeah. i'm 30 years old and i have never actually rented a place before so much of this has been new to me since i moved in with my wife over the last couple years. i guess some handyman is going to be sent out tomorrow morning. probably gonna be 90 something in the house when I get home though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Good thing it's cool enough you don't need ac.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

totally. only 97 right now.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:Good thing it's cool enough you don't need ac.
Says the man getting on a plane for Seattle. Better break out the parka.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dead alternator and a battery on both cars in the span of 10 days. Over $500 I can't afford right now with the wife starting school and us just getting married.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

My neighbor has a three-story tree that had 6-8" bean pods that are dead during the summer. As the monsoon winds pickup this time of year I have THOUSANDS of these fucking bean pods blow into my pool and all over my backyard. If the pods aren't skimmed out of the pool immediately, they sink and fall apart, leaving small beans all over the bottom of the pool along with other tiny broken leaves and debris. The vacuum can only pick up the small parts so I have to pick the pod shells out by hand from what I can't get with the skimmer net.

I have mostly rocks and a small patch of grass in my yard. I can take the pods off the grass but on the rocks they begin to break into small pieces making it tedious to clean up. The pods are very thin and brittle. Nothing make me want to rage and commit suicide than spending hours in the yard picking up after this motherfuckers tree. Last summer, after spending a full hour just cleaning them out of the pool, the winds picked up and I witnessed hundreds of pods gracefully tumble into my pool. Rage.

I want him to cut it down but I know he won't. My only other option would be to erect a 50-foot net on my wall which is rediculous. I'm going to call the HOA tomorrow. This tree causes me an increase in labor every weekend (to stay on top of it I would need to be raking and skimming every day) and sometimes more money when his tree blows shit in the pool that causes me to have to shock it, etc.

I hate this dude's tree.

Note: he also waters his weeds in the front yard. It's the same species of weeds that I have and I've witnessed him using a hose and watering them. Wtf.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That blows. I wonder if there's some way to get it to stop spawning pods. Maybe look on the interwebs and see if anyone has had a similar problem?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tradition and the authority on etiquette, Emily Post, declare that the responsibility of tree debris clean-up falls to the person who owns or rents the property where wind or gravity takes it. It is not the responsibility of the owner of the tree.

As someone who spent over $10,000 removing trees recently, I resent this tradition and etiquette. I have a ton of autumn work to do, thanks to my neighbors' trees. And every spring my toilets and showers turn into geysers when the roots from my neighbors trees back up my sewage line, forcing me to pay $150 to a sewerage service to come stand in my neighbor's yard and clear out the line.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BMalo-

That sucks and is annoying as hell. Are the branches coming into your yard? If so you should be able to get him to cut down the branches that hang over your property line. But wind blowing debris into your yard... you are probably screwed.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pima Indians used those pods to make flour.

When life gives you mesquite pods...

Chemicals to stop trees from fruiting:

AVAILABLE CHEMICALS
Chemicals are available to reduce or eliminate fruit set on ornamental trees and shrubs. Check with local nurseries and garden centers — spraying cannot guarantee 100% effectiveness. Follow specific label directions for application rates and safety information.

Florel® Fruit Eliminator by Monteray, active ingredient: ethephon
Fruitone or App-L-Set, active ingredient: Naphthalene acid (NAA)
Carbaryl (trade name Sevin) — this insecticide is harmful to bees
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Pima Indians used those pods to make flour.

I almost brought that up. Mesquite flour isn't cheap online. I was curious so I opened a pod from my mom's neighbor's tree, and those beans are pretty tasty.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:

I almost brought that up. Mesquite flour isn't cheap online. I was curious so I opened a pod from my mom's neighbor's tree, and those beans are pretty tasty.
But mesquite pods should be picked off trees, not dead off of ground to make flour.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

But mesquite pods should be picked off trees, not dead off of ground to make flour.
I used to say that about cicadas. Boy was I wrong!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

BMalo wrote:My neighbor has a three-story tree that had 6-8" bean pods that are dead during the summer. As the monsoon winds pickup this time of year I have THOUSANDS of these fucking bean pods blow into my pool and all over my backyard. If the pods aren't skimmed out of the pool immediately, they sink and fall apart, leaving small beans all over the bottom of the pool along with other tiny broken leaves and debris. The vacuum can only pick up the small parts so I have to pick the pod shells out by hand from what I can't get with the skimmer net.

I have mostly rocks and a small patch of grass in my yard. I can take the pods off the grass but on the rocks they begin to break into small pieces making it tedious to clean up. The pods are very thin and brittle. Nothing make me want to rage and commit suicide than spending hours in the yard picking up after this motherfuckers tree. Last summer, after spending a full hour just cleaning them out of the pool, the winds picked up and I witnessed hundreds of pods gracefully tumble into my pool. Rage.

I want him to cut it down but I know he won't. My only other option would be to erect a 50-foot net on my wall which is rediculous. I'm going to call the HOA tomorrow. This tree causes me an increase in labor every weekend (to stay on top of it I would need to be raking and skimming every day) and sometimes more money when his tree blows shit in the pool that causes me to have to shock it, etc.

I hate this dude's tree.

Note: he also waters his weeds in the front yard. It's the same species of weeds that I have and I've witnessed him using a hose and watering them. Wtf.

I'd be willing to bet it's not a mesquite tree...its a mexican lead tree. Mesquite pods are dense, and would just fall to the ground mostly below the tree....the lead tree has light pods with billions of seeds. Looks like this:

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:
calstatetempe wrote:Pregnancy hormones.

Yow-za...they can make a wife say craaaaaazzzyyyy things.
Once in a while those pregnancy hormones will make your wife super horny.

Take advantage of those moments.
In honor of the OP from 2014, I present Round Two...

Unfortunately not in second trimester yet, still stuck in the pukey and pissy stage...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
calstatetempe wrote:Pregnancy hormones.

Yow-za...they can make a wife say craaaaaazzzyyyy things.
Once in a while those pregnancy hormones will make your wife super horny.

Take advantage of those moments.
In honor of the OP from 2014, I present Round Two...

Unfortunately not in second trimester yet, still stuck in the pukey and pissy stage...

Congrats!!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Congrats, CST!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well done CST!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Awesome. Life is gonna get more fun, and you are gonna be more tired (yes, it's actually possible to be more exhausted).
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Congrats CST!

Odogg- that's it. I've been trying to figure out what kind of tree it is. Saturday I cleaned millions of those things out. How can I poison the tree?

/kidding

/sortof
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BMalo wrote:Congrats CST!

Odogg- that's it. I've been trying to figure out what kind of tree it is. Saturday I cleaned millions of those things out. How can I poison the tree?

/kidding

/sortof
Ask an Alabama fan:

http://www.wsfa.com/story/14043972/toomers-corner-trees
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Looking forward to posting my update from jail.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:

/kidding

/sortof
Ask an Alabama fan:

http://www.wsfa.com/story/14043972/toomers-corner-trees
I remember that. What a shit show.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Congrats CST!

/kidding

/sortof
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My dental hygienist sure is a chatty bitch.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:My dental hygienist sure is a chatty bitch.
Revenge is a dish best served with a lot of garlic and onions...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:My dental hygienist sure is a chatty bitch.
Revenge is a dish best served with a lot of garlic and onions...
I was going to eat a box of Oreo cookies beforehand, but I like your idea. I think next time I'll eat a bowl of sour kraut and asparagus followed up with a bag of flaming hot cheetos while I wait in the waiting room.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Alieberman wrote:BMalo-

That sucks and is annoying as hell. Are the branches coming into your yard? If so you should be able to get him to cut down the branches that hang over your property line. But wind blowing debris into your yard... you are probably screwed.
Actually, if the branches are hanging over the property line, you have the perfect right to prune them back to the property line. But the wood belongs to your neighbor, so don't keep it for firewood - put it back into his yard.

Disclaimer: IANAL.
Disclaimer 2: This statement is 100% true in Australia, I am not sure about it in any particular state in the USA.
Disclaimer 3: YMMV
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Puerco wrote:Congrats CST!

/kidding

/sortof
It is actually very tough to get enough Round-Up into a mature tree to kill it - really, really, tough. Round-Up has to enter through the living leaves and the active ingredient, Glyphosate, deactivates in the ground very quickly (which is a great advantage for killing weeds in the flower bed or even the lawn where you don't mind to wait a couple of weeks to replant/patch).

What you really need to do is ring-bark it and drill holes about 4 inches deep. Then smear the wound and fill the holes with Trichlopyr. I have no brand recommendations for Trichlopyr.

Another possibility would be Yates Path Weeder with active ingredients Diflufenican and Oxyflurofin. You can pour the Yates out on the ground if you don't want anything else to grow there for 2 years or more, but I you would really want to get it as close to the roots as you can to effect a mature tree - and remember that the roots extend out at least as far as the tree canopy, maybe more for a desert tree like a mesquite. It might take several applications to work.

I used Path Weeder to finally kill off a volunteer fig tree along my fence line. Round-up wouldn't touch it. I finally cut it off about 3 inches from the ground and IMMEDIATELY applied the path weeder in liberal quantities to the wound. Immediately means within 5 minutes in this case - otherwise the cells will 'close up' and start forming a scab that protects the plant from foreign crap - like poison - getting in. After three weeks there were a couple of anemic suckers sprouting from the just under the soil line. So I cut them off and reapplied another dose of path weeder to the cut ends. I even sanded off another maybe 8th of an inch from the main trunk and hit it again. The sucker is now officially dead just waiting for me to dig out its remains.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I've accidentally killed a bush with Round-up runoff. But a full-blown tree? You're probably right.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ugh...prepped ribs for tomorrow way to late tonight. (just non=stop other stuff kept getting in the way today).

Ribs are rubbed, wrapped in foil. I like to bake at 250 for 2 hrs then on the charcoal grill from 30-45 minutes.

but, I just remembered that I forgot to take off the membrane. ugh.

I'm sure they'll be fine, but I hate missing details like that when cooking because I'll know, even if my guests won't, or won't care.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm the same way especially with cooking for guests. I get really pissed if I miss even just one minor detail.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why doesn't the butcher remove that membrane before we buy the ribs?
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I hate mayonnaise,
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I hate mayonnaise,
I love mayo...but certainly not American mayo. Belgian Frite sauce / andalouse sauce ftw.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Everybody hates mayo. It's like saying, "I hate plain, bitter cacao powder." The question is whether you hate things that have a mayo in them. And I still believe that anyone who rejects a sandwich because it has a light smear of mayo on the bread does so as an affectation.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well yeah, no one is going to eat a spoonful of plain mayo. But I love mayo in many things.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.