Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Venting Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Take good care of yourself while you support your family, Lando. Your sister will get through this. Our thoughts are with you.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

As tragic as it is, at 44 she is an excellent transplant candidate. Hoping for the best.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Damn. I'm so sorry. Wishing for the best.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

All the best to her Lando.

Sadly, all the anti-vaxxers who died of Covid cannot be organ donors.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Damn Lando. Sorry to hear that.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Prayers for your sister and your whole family as you deal with this.

Hope the doctors figure out what is causing this and are able to fix it.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm so fucking tired of the shitty air here. It's been over 150 all week and I haven't been able to ride my bike or go for a walk. Hopefully it clears soon
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:00 am I'm so fucking tired of the shitty air here. It's been over 150 all week and I haven't been able to ride my bike or go for a walk. Hopefully it clears soon
Oregon and Cali wildfires?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:51 am
84Cat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:00 am I'm so fucking tired of the shitty air here. It's been over 150 all week and I haven't been able to ride my bike or go for a walk. Hopefully it clears soon
Yep & Idaho fires too
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:53 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:51 am
Yep & Idaho fires too
Channel the spirit of JR Simplot! Fill up the outboard! Head out to Arrowrock and burn some fossil fuels!

(Stay safe and indoors.)

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Heading to the Oregon coast next week and then up to Seattle
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

84Cat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:01 am Heading to the Oregon coast next week and then up to Seattle
Jealous! Thinking about retiring up that way if I can afford it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

84Cat wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:01 am Heading to the Oregon coast next week and then up to Seattle
I'm right behind you, going up the following week.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The people we bought our house from retired to Bend, Oregon. I can't relate to wanting to leave Arizona. If I was rich, I'd get a second house in northern Arizona, and a third house in Turkey.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 pm The people we bought our house from retired to Bend, Oregon. I can't relate to wanting to leave Arizona. If I was rich, I'd get a second house in northern Arizona, and a third house in Turkey.
It is a dream of mine to have a place to spend Jan thru April in Arizona, near Tucson. I love the UP but there is a lot of snow to move in those months, and it gets harder to find places to stash it at some point.
Then I can turn wood on my lathe on the patio in January and go to a basketball game in the evening.

It rains too much in Oregon and Washington.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tucson in December to March is darn near perfect. Anymore it can get into the 90s in April
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea Thanksgiving through late March is perfect. In a perfect world I'd have somewhere here and a place on the Oregon coast and in Colorado or Northern Arizona for the other 8 months a year.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:47 pm
Longhorned wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:55 pm The people we bought our house from retired to Bend, Oregon. I can't relate to wanting to leave Arizona. If I was rich, I'd get a second house in northern Arizona, and a third house in Turkey.
It is a dream of mine to have a place to spend Jan thru April in Arizona, near Tucson. I love the UP but there is a lot of snow to move in those months, and it gets harder to find places to stash it at some point.
Then I can turn wood on my lathe on the patio in January and go to a basketball game in the evening.

It rains too much in Oregon and Washington.
What is the UP?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Upper Peninsula (of Michigan)

Basically it’s that place when you look at a map of the United States and you look dead center at the very top and think “why is that pointy place not Wisconsin or Canada?”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Thanks chi.

It is Michigan's consolation prize for Ohio getting Toledo.

It's a pretty great place, I moved here on purpose for the lakes, woods, waterfalls, and space. People are friendly too.
The biggest city is 25,000, only a handful over 10,000. Lots of summer tourism, lots of winter snowmobiles, lots of fall deer hunters, lots of water and mud in the spring.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Going to take the fam to Mackinac Island and Pictured Rocks one of these days. The UP was a pre-Covid vacation consideration and it definitely needs to be one now that (hopefully) we can pull out of this shitshow.

For those of you down south, Google both those places. Definitely worth a summer trip.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:34 am Thanks chi.

It is Michigan's consolation prize for Ohio getting Toledo.

It's a pretty great place, I moved here on purpose for the lakes, woods, waterfalls, and space. People are friendly too.
The biggest city is 25,000, only a handful over 10,000. Lots of summer tourism, lots of winter snowmobiles, lots of fall deer hunters, lots of water and mud in the spring.
How 'bout the mosquitoes that can stand flat footed and fuck a turkey?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I used to live in lower Michigan. We had huge respect for the Upers/yoopers, very hardy lot. Lower MI is quite balmy compared to the UP due the lake effect.

But can't deal with the MI snow or AZ heat. Coastal Cali has the best weather in the world. I barbecue every week of the year and no AC costs, and the winter heating costs are very low.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

The turkey sized mosquitos are real.

Been really dry this year so they aren't bad, June can be horrible.
-Norlander.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Mosquitoes have been atrocious in Tucson the last 2 months. Not UP in June levels but ridiculously bad for here.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I actually hate the blackflies more, and the No-see-ums.

No-see-ums come through your screen at night and fly under your sheets and bite you.

Blackflies have chewing mouth parts instead of piercing, and they spit anticoagulant on the wound to lap up your blood. They itch for days and you usually don't feel them biting you til they've been on a while.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I've been listening to the NPR new music Friday playlist lately and it has more pop shit than I normally listen to. The thing I don't understand is how people listen to music with so much auto-tune. I would rather listen to Neil Young sound like shit than have some crazy sounding vocals that don't sound real. It drives me crazy and gets an automatic skip whenever I hear the slightest bit of auto-tune
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Thank you,

Everyone loves neil young and tells me I'm a hater, but I don't like his voice!!!

Now I know I'm not the only one.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:58 am Thank you,

Everyone loves neil young and tells me I'm a hater, but I don't like his voice!!!

Now I know I'm not the only one.
I don't think that's what he said. Looks like you are the only one! :lol:
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

He said he'd rather listen to Neil young sound like shit...
Which basically happens whenever you are listening to Neil young.

I don't know, maybe he likes listening to Neil young sound like shit?

Apparently everyone else does.
:D
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Huge fan of Neil Young, but he does not have a classic rock voice. Jim Morrison he is not. Actually liked his work with Crazy Horse better than CSNY.

Neil Young is also part of my all ugly band.

But this is cool, CSNY doing a Crazy Horse song.

Same with Buffalo Springfield. Not sure why Stills is acting like a total dork though. Thought Mr Soul was the better song here.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

One thing Neil Young and other rock legends did right was never becoming a heart throb. Becoming a heart throb is the kiss of death for any budding rock legend. What if Neil Diamond had never become a heart throb in about 1980? You've got to for the whole fat face and sideburns thing, or else be overly skinny with bluish grey, translucent skin with a cigaret hanging.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CSNY 4 Way Street Album is an all-time classic. The 13+ minute version of Southern Man is a must listen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

For quite some time I thought Deja Vu was a greatest hits album. Back in the days of vinyl, I probably wore out side 1.

Can't think of a band that all 4 members hated each other so much. Even the other Beatles all liked Ringo. You know it's bad when Graham Nash won't perform with David Crosby anymore.

Cros only lives about 30 miles from where I live. Hoping he decides to perform at one of the local wineries.

Great CSN song, although the Jefferson Airplane version is better known since it was released first due to contracts.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I used to see Crosby sometimes in Santa Barbara. He made absolutely no attempt to avoid being seen, and was rewarded with not being bothered.He doesn't seem to realize he's famous.

The guy who tried and failed not to be seen was the actor who played Newman on Seinfeld.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Wooden ships has one of my favorite lines of all time in it.

Hey can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes I've been eating them, for 6 or 7 weeks now, haven't got sick once.
Probly keep us all alive.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:17 pm Wooden ships has one of my favorite lines of all time in it.

Wasn't that in regards to saving themselves from nuclear fallout? Think it was an antiwar song.

Guess I could look it up, but too lazy.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:34 pm
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:17 pm Wooden ships has one of my favorite lines of all time in it.

Wasn't that in regards to saving themselves from nuclear fallout? Think it was an antiwar song.

Guess I could look it up, but too lazy.
Wikipedia entry...
The words of the song depict the horrors confronting the survivors of a nuclear holocaust in which the two sides have annihilated each other. A man from one side stumbles upon a man (or woman, as in Jefferson Airplane's version) from the other side and asks him/her, "Can you tell me, please, who won?" Since the question has no real meaning in the circumstances or even at all, it is left unanswered. To stay alive, they share "purple berries", as a result of which they "haven't got sick once" (iodine pills, which protect against radioactive iodine-131 in nuclear fallout)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Whoa, I thought it was an old timey civil war song or revolutionary war. Two guys, maybe the know each other, nobody around, they're just eating berries trying to find their way back after hostilities had ceased.
Also did not know the Jefferson airplane version. Weird.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thanks PC, remember having iodine pills around during the 1960's, either at home or school, can't remember where.

Paul Kantner gets to sing a bit.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 am Thanks PC, remember having iodine pills around during the 1960's, either at home or school, can't remember where.

Paul Kantner gets to sing a bit.

Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/track/6yIWWnbE ... eb731d4231

The sound is better
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I love Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane even though Jefferson Starship.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:45 am I love Grace Slick and Jefferson Airplane even though Jefferson Starship.
Except for "We Built this City". What an awful song. Or maybe that was just Starship then.

Red Octopus was my favorite Jefferson Starship album when they still had Balin.

But yes, the Airplane years were fantastic and everyone was a huge fan.

Especially the Monterey Pop festival camera man, who maybe didn't realize It was Marty Balin singing, not Grace. But then again, he just liked looking at Grace so maybe it was intentional.

One of my favorite Airplane songs, along with Wooden Ships. This should have been released as a single.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ya gotta love Grace: anyone who would try to dose up the Queen is OK in my book.

~ Wilhoit's Law
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

What in the world is the point of home appraisers when they always come back with exactly the value that you're buying the house for?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

legallykenny wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:27 pm What in the world is the point of home appraisers when they always come back with exactly the value that you're buying the house for?

It was the same way when I bought my first house in 1990. My real estate agent told the appraiser how much he needed to come up with.

I had an ex-sister in law in Tucson who was or maybe is a real estate agent. She sent all kinds of gift baskets to everyone involved, from the appraisers to the escrow agents and so on. She was also then a Mormon, so she got a lot of business from her church.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why stop at appraisers? Who here honestly does anything that does more than just simulate the idea of working?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Me, I deliver fuel oil, and diesel to heavy equipment on job sites, rock crushers in quarries, homes in the winter, as well as snowmobile clubs and ski hills.

Not as much work as it was loading rounds underground.

And since we own the business I work on the trucks, maintain compliance, and my wife does all the books and answers the phone and writes up my slips helps plan my route ....

And we have 3 kids at home, youngest is 11 months, one in school all day, the other til noon.

Her maternity leave was taking me to green bay to get a biliary stent put in.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay I'll grant you that. But who besides U.P. does real work instead of simulating work?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:15 pm Okay I'll grant you that. But who besides U.P. does real work instead of simulating work?
I was a state employee. It was harder trying to look busy than be busy.

Thank goodness for Catracks/UASports/Goazcats/BDW for keeping me occupied during my otherwise meaningless work day.

Had a short time at PGU as Goazcats with WPG and CITH (before Ace, it was some accountant), as Goazcats was falling apart due to board wars and leadership issues. When Ben left goazcats due to the direction of the PGU guy (promised cash for stories) and Story and Gershon wanted bigger pastures for Goazcats and went to ago along, as I had from Cattracks to Goazcats. I had saved a post from Storey saying that Goazcats will never go premium.