Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

tgrumpy2

Re: Venting Thread

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:26 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:49 pm You kill me Chi…
I may be a bit over the top, but it’s dark out.

It’s fucking DARK out.

Did Mr. Green Thumb tell his family who he hates that he had to fix the yard then he just ran the stupid thing while he snuck beers in the shed?

Mercifully it has now stopped. But I’m anticipating at any moment that he’s going to decide it’s a great night to take up chainsaw carving.
Oh come on, give him a break. lol. He probably had a fight with his wife and she has all his money and he had no where else to go so he took it out on the leaves. I know this did nothing for your evening, what he did was better than bludgeoning his wife.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not to completely darken the mood but I just had a very close family member get arrested for attempted murder. And an even closer family member get arrested for trying to help him cover it up.

I’m literally sick to my stomach. It’s all I can basically think about. Thankfully the victim looks like he will recover fully.

And the worst part is that I’m fairly sure they are both capable of it.

I can’t believe this is happening.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Damn Chi. Wow
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

jebus!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Holy shit.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hell is always just a moment away. Deep breaths Chi.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You guys said it perfectly because what the fuck is there to say?

It’s hard to believe this is my life.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:08 pmHoly shit.
First words out of my mouth too.

Hopefully they can get some good legal representation, and the victim recovering has to be a big help to their chances to avoid major prison time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If he really did try to kill someone, I’m honestly not sure he deserves to avoid major prison time.

I don’t know the story. And I’m not sure I want to know it. All I’ve seen is what was reported by the media and they are scant on details. Unless the victim posed an immediate danger to them or someone they cared about (and when I say “immediate” I mean before the cops can arrive and stop him), whatever happened was most likely criminal.

This is a side of my family I had largely written off, but my sister hasn’t. She’s just fucking devastated.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Sooo, I had a five week vacay planned and approved for April/May as my office is closed for remodeling. Upper management decided, 2 weeks prior, that they want to plug me in elsewhere to fill some staffing gaps so all my plans are totally shot. The kicker is, the spot that they have me filling in is due to a staffer there...being on vacation. Fuck.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

"Labor hoarding" sure is looking weird these days. There's no travel insurance that can make up for this.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That's bullshit- you already had time off approved?

I would tell them to fuck off. Can they really make you cancel?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There are two British dudes on TikTok who do videos where they read and comment on internal business correspondence where there are staffing issues.

A) Being asked to give up vacation because teams are understaffed apparently happens really often.

B) A lot of people just flat out say no, or if they can’t say no they quit.

C) Others will try to negotiate either for the company to pay for whatever money they may be out for cancelling or for additional increased pay for when they are covering or for additional vacation later in the year… or all three.

Sucks UAd, but maybe try to work this to your advantage. Like two straight weeks off paid over the holidays or a fat bonus for filling in when they are desperate for bodies.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

No offense but a 5 week vacation? I’m in the wrong industry apparently.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm ignorant of the PTO universe, but a while back I did scan an article about how companies advertised "unlimited" PTO but then never "approved" it when it came time to execute. They did this even during the height of the recent labor shortages, and one has to think that as the job market changes for the worse the trend will only increase. They used the shortage as an excuse, and now they'll use any slowdown as a de facto excuse because workers will be disinclined to tell them to fuck off. Brutal.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:37 pm No offense but a 5 week vacation? I’m in the wrong industry apparently.
We got an edict from the powers that be to use PTO if you are maxing or close to maxing your hours. Then they shut my site down for renovations. Our staff and supervisor all took the whole renovation time off. 2 months later some upper management loon decided that "hey, we can use these folks elsewhere, so we're nixing their vacays". Total power and control thing. The place I'm being sent to doesn't even need the extra bodies.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm I'm ignorant of the PTO universe, but a while back I did scan an article about how companies advertised "unlimited" PTO but then never "approved" it when it came time to execute. They did this even during the height of the recent labor shortages, and one has to think that as the job market changes for the worse the trend will only increase. They used the shortage as an excuse, and now they'll use any slowdown as a de facto excuse because workers will be disinclined to tell them to fuck off. Brutal.
Unlimited PTO benefits companies in a couple ways. One, most people take less PTO than they would if they had a limit because they don’t want to be seen as abusing it. Two, when they fire you they don’t have to pay you for any time off you accrued but didn’t use.

It sounds great. It isn’t. My job has a limit but anything you don’t use up to a week carries over to the next year.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:08 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:52 pm I'm ignorant of the PTO universe, but a while back I did scan an article about how companies advertised "unlimited" PTO but then never "approved" it when it came time to execute. They did this even during the height of the recent labor shortages, and one has to think that as the job market changes for the worse the trend will only increase. They used the shortage as an excuse, and now they'll use any slowdown as a de facto excuse because workers will be disinclined to tell them to fuck off. Brutal.
Unlimited PTO benefits companies in a couple ways. One, most people take less PTO than they would if they had a limit because they don’t want to be seen as abusing it. Two, when they fire you they don’t have to pay you for any time off you accrued but didn’t use.

It sounds great. It isn’t. My job has a limit but anything you don’t use up to a week carries over to the next year.
So unlimited PTO is like an undefined benefit, so no accrual = no compensation upon termination? That's a fucking cold-ass tease.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My company just moved to unlimited PTO a month before their layoffs this week!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAdevil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:04 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:37 pm No offense but a 5 week vacation? I’m in the wrong industry apparently.
We got an edict from the powers that be to use PTO if you are maxing or close to maxing your hours. Then they shut my site down for renovations. Our staff and supervisor all took the whole renovation time off. 2 months later some upper management loon decided that "hey, we can use these folks elsewhere, so we're nixing their vacays". Total power and control thing. The place I'm being sent to doesn't even need the extra bodies.
Totally get it UAD, that’s fucked they retracted an approval. Leadership there doesn’t give a shit about you and feel for you man.

My comment was more of “shit, I would love to take a 5 week break.”
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Unlimited PTO is a scam.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:03 pm
UAdevil wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:04 pm
Totally get it UAD, that’s fucked they retracted an approval. Leadership there doesn’t give a shit about you and feel for you man.

My comment was more of “shit, I would love to take a 5 week break.”
Yeah, it was a unique situation, kinda a once in a career take a huge chunk of time off without having to worry about stuff at work going to shit, because it's shuttered. We were all very stoked. I had been calling it my "pre-tirement" break.

It's govt job btw, not private sector or nonprofit.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

After 5 fucking hours of rabbithole bullshit trying to purge a piece of remote access Trojan malware detected by Webroot I just uninstalled the Firefox browser. No notifications yet. Had to learn about sysnative along the trail of tears. For fuck's sake, I'll never get those hours back.

* If I end up dead it will definitely be due to suicide.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's baaaaaack!!!!! does anybody know about this bug?

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seriously, I only get 7 vacation days a year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I currently get 3.5 weeks of PTO, 1 week of sick time, 10 holiday days, and my birthday off.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:04 pm
Your company does not even pretend to give a fuck about your mental health.

I get 4 weeks vacation, 1 week sick, 2 floating holidays, the week off between Christmas and New Years, plus 8-10 other days off around holidays.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:08 pm

For the past 9 years at two different spots I’ve been given 30days PTO I’ve used every day. To the chagrin of older docs who are like “when I was your stage I only two two weeks off” Fuck that noise…I’ll gladly give up my daily rvu rate (which I did at prior spot) to enjoy my time off. Now im salery so that part is a bit better.

But now current spot is going to FTO. You better believe I get my 30days (includings CME time) otherwise I walk.

And good luck finding someone who will put up with managing my Wild West region.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azgreg wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:18 pm I currently get 3.5 weeks of PTO, 1 week of sick time, 10 holiday days, and my birthday off.
4wk PTO
1week CME
1 week sick.

Sick can be PTO and I always use it at the end of the year between Christmas holidays
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m working on a sat because well my region is the wild fucking west and there are fires that need to get put out and emails that need to be sent.

I’m salty
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've got a tournament in the morning and my back is currently all jacked up.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Two, seasonally-related pet peeves:

I hate that conferences basketball tournaments give winners automatic bids - especially in major conferences, the result is almost always that a team from a lower conference that had a good season get eliminated. Fuck that.
  • The conference tournaments are just about money - mostly about TV money, and this stupid trend is solely a stragety to get vierwers' eyes on the ads. At a minimum, it should be at the option of the conference.
  • - when a team that would otherwise make the tourney wins, a team from that same conference should be eliminated. (e. g., Oregon should replace Colorado.)
I have zero tolerance, respect or empathy for so-called college basketball fans who think that the NCAA's are the only important games of the year, and that the regular season really means nothing. Fuck that, too!
  • This is especially stupid when the NCAA's are a single elimination tournament - IMNSHO, the truly best team seldom wins.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

28 days of PTO, 6 sick days, 11.5 paid holidays for me. Plus 6 weeks parental leave. Any unused PTO rolls into a medical reserve account. I'm probably in the top 10% when it comes to paid time off and if this was Europe I'd still be getting the bare minimum.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:45 pm

I get 4 weeks vacation, 1 week sick, 2 floating holidays, the week off between Christmas and New Years, plus 8-10 other days off around holidays.
well thats what I get working for a mega corporation. we only are closed 2 days a year and only have 6 employees total, so we always have to be there.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:57 pm

well thats what I get working for a mega corporation. we only are closed 2 days a year and only have 6 employees total, so we always have to be there.
I worked my career in small nonprofit community mental health centers - 100 - 200 employees. Federal and state funding resulted is many crunches over the decades, and health insurance, PTO, sick leave, etc. became increasingly difficult to manage. In the early 2000's, one CEO, where we had 2-3 weeks PTO, depending on tenure, took the approach of requiring at least one full week vacation, vs. nickle-and-diming days off here and there. Had to do that in the interests of "employee mental health."

I took one vacation of 5 consecutive weeks - felt like a king!!

Also, on a couple of occasions, when an employee was really sick, there was allowance for others to donate PTO/sick leave to expend paid leave. That was really cool, and great for morale.

Another observation - most professional employees usually maxed out on allowed sick leave accrual, while majority of support/clerical staff used "sick leave" almost as it became available. From a management perspective in a small organization, that was a problem - "sick leave" gives you < an hour to cover absence; "PTO" is planned in advance, allowing for adjustments.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Become a rabble rouser and push to unionize.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My wife worked for a mega corporation and got tons of vacation, holidays and such. Now she works in a medium sized corporation and gets much less. You're wrong industry assessment was probably more correct.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If vacation is important, than I would recommend working for the state. Besides the 13 state holidays, you start out at 2 weeks a year of vacation, go to 3 weeks after 3 years, then after 25 years you get 24 days of vacation.

This is an addition to 8 hours of sick time accrued each month. I had enough sick time when I retired it added a year to my time in service when I retired.

However, the pay is so frickin' low that you can't afford to go on vacations. I ended up taking the 1st and 3rd Fridays off for years, then my last couple of years took every Friday off.

Also many states still have traditional pensions, so I will get paid for life.

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Here are the 10 best states for workers, according to Oxfam

Oregon
California
Washington
District of Columbia
New York
Massachusetts
Connecticut
New Jersey
Colorado
Illinois

Here are the 10 worst states for workers

North Carolina
Mississippi
Georgia
Alabama
Texas
South Carolina
Kansas
Oklahoma
Utah
Idaho
https://thehill.com/changing-america/re ... rs-report/

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Something strikes me as a common denominator….
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

My only brush with PTO came through interactions with USDA Forest Service personnel. The Contracting Officers would execute enormous solicitation dumps immediately prior to EVERYONE going on annual leave. Try to research a bid when no one exists for weeks on end. By the time they came back to work the bids were due. Grrrrr

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Three weeks ago our long time friends in Chandler lost their 25-year-old son to a brain tumor, nicest young man you could ever meet. Big Wildcat fan, and a UofA student before he got sick.

Last week my son's old boss and mentor, a great guy who was the research director on Mark Kelly's last campaign, passed due to recently diagnosed diabetes combined with complications from pneumonia at age 31.

Yesterday my cousin's sweet wife had to have her second operation here in Phoenix for colon cancer at age 63 and will probably have a colostomy bag the rest of her life. (initial long term prognosis is good however thank goodness)

And yet 79-year-old Trump's fat ass continues to survive on a diet Coke, KFC, and cheeseburgers...

SMDH
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

All that we are, all that we do, is both over served and under matched by what happens. For what it's worth, I'm shakin' my head too Eebs.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:27 pm Three weeks ago our long time friends in Chandler lost their 25-year-old son to a brain tumor, nicest young man you could ever meet. Big Wildcat fan, and a UofA student before he got sick.

Last week my son's old boss and mentor, a great guy who was the research director on Mark Kelly's last campaign, passed due to recently diagnosed diabetes combined with complications from pneumonia at age 31.

Yesterday my cousin's sweet wife had to have her second operation here in Phoenix for colon cancer at age 63 and will probably have a colostomy bag the rest of her life. (initial long term prognosis is good however thank goodness)

And yet 79-year-old Trump's fat ass continues to survive on a diet Coke, KFC, and cheeseburgers...

SMDH
These are the puzzles of life and sure hard to make sense of. No answer here.

It seems like the best we can do is love those who are in our lives, try to spread good karma and thoughts, and be healthy.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Had a kidney stone last week. Definitely do not recommend. Felt like someone shot me through my lower abdomen/groin. Spent about 3 hours in the ER throwing up from the pain. Luckily I was able to pass it.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Good to know you're through it Bug.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I had 1 during covid and I was just on a gurney in the hallway of the ER for hours screaming in pain (no rooms available)

Good times...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Definitely wouldn’t wish that pain on anyone. I’m not exactly looking forward to the thought that I might get one in the future.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My old boss had a kidney stone. Said it was more painful than childbirth, and she had 2 kids.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I have had them a couple of times and have posted how painful it was. One time was so bad and it wouldn’t pass they had to put a stent in to help pass it through. Man the experience when the pulled it out is indescribable - like you are flushing out your entire lower abdomen.