Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Venting Thread

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:19 pm Car shopping sucks.
Do they still blatantly lie about their inventory? IIRC we bought 6-8 months ago and it was absolute hell.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The dealer markup due to the used car shortage is a little maddening, although I can understand it as wholesale prices are up too.

My biggest peeve right now is online ordering from any company. I always check off the box regarding marketing emails, and I still get them anyway, 100% of the time. And the single click unsubscribe does not always work. Fanatics for one.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:31 pm
azgreg wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:19 pm Car shopping sucks.
Do they still blatantly lie about their inventory? IIRC we bought 6-8 months ago and it was absolute hell.
Absolutely. Their definition of the word inventory is far broader than mine. Theirs include cars on the lot that are already sold and cars that are scheduled to get here some time next year.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My problem right now is everyone but me is a moron.

It's really tough getting through each day and I try to use this board for a bit of solace but then I look at the Conference Realignment thread...
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:15 pm The dealer markup due to the used car shortage is a little maddening, although I can understand it as wholesale prices are up too.
We were looking at a new Hyundai Elantra Hybrid for $30k and they also had a used one with 20k miles they were asking $28k.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I just had to walk away from a salesmen to keep from kicking him in the taint.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Get a bike
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

There's zero chance I will ever buy a car from a dealer again. They have destroyed any trust I could ever have in any dealer
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

What I hate most about dealerships is the compartmentalization of information and personnel. They can always blame the bullshit on someone who isn't there at the time the bullshit comes home to fuck you in the ass. If I were not married I would buy every car off of Craigslist, used but still under warranty. The one time I did it it was a resounding victory of time-saving efficiency and value.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Yeah! We're back in debt.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

* (could have gone in unpopular opinions, random thoughts or women are certifiable)

My wife tends to find problems where they don't really need to exist, and neighbors are historically a target-rich environment for her. We've really just moved in and our nearest neighbor is an interesting guy: a retired engineer, inquisitive, definitely OCD, socially quirky, very much a border collie who needs a job optimizing the world. I wake up from a nap and she tells me she saw him for the third time wandering around behind our house anointing the native flora with some solution. (He's already totally obsessed with a conspiracy afoot that is repressing data on wildland fuels in our area ... won't go into that one....) So she goes over and asks him WTF? He's distributing cayenne and vinegar in order to repel javelina and deer and he's wandering off his property in order to make for a more effective application. So now she's got a hard-on for the guy. FML.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Dove - since I know you are a card carrying member of the NRA, just get your gun out and shoot the mother fucker.

There, problem solved.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

LOL. I have the gun but not the card. The thing is, I find the guy interesting. Engineers have unique instructive perspectives and I'm unwilling to do battle in a territorial pissing match just because there's a dearth of javelina in the wash behind our house. Once I told him I was a retired forestry contractor he seized on my knowledge of fuels and fire modeling to continuously recruit me in his war with the HOA about fuels reduction in our part of the development. I've stopped telling my wife how many emails he BCCs me because if she actually knew his level of obsession I'd have to bury his body somewhere. If I just shoot myself all of this goes away.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

A good friend of mine asked me to move in to help him and his family out. He has a 4 bedroom for him his girlfriend and thier daughter. He rents out 2 rooms one to me and another friend of ours.

Yesterday he randomly asked me to smoke some flower with him and then proceeds to ask me to move out. No warning or anything in the 5 months I've been here that anything was wrong. I've heard him and his girl fight more lately. But they haven't said anything to me.

I asked him for some feedback so I can improve in the future and right now. Wouldn't give me any really and said he hopes this doesn't effect our friendship while he was shaking and crying it was really weird.

Caught me off guard and throws my plans off. I was saving a lot living here. I'm debating moving back home with my parents for a couple months so I can get more liquid and save some up money up to get my own apartment.

I just feel hurt, disappointed, angry, and a little ashamed to be asking my parents for help. Just needed to vent, been a stressful two days trying to figure out what to do.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That sucks Lando. Is it that they don't want any roommates anymore- or they don't want you there?

Are they wanting you out ASAP and not giving you time to figure your shit out?

Either way... if you have to suck it up briefly by moving in with your folks for a little bit in order to get a place of your ow... maybe it will all be worth it in the end
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

They still have to give you 30 day notice to evict you, even in a friendly rental agreement like that if memory serves.

My youngest son moved in with us late December when rains in San Diego leaked into his apartment. He is finally moving back out tomorrow into another apartment in his building. A 3 day visit ended up being 3 months due to no fault of his own.

This, after my oldest son was forced to move off campus at Cal Poly where he was attending due to the pandemic, and he moved back home and prefers not having to pay the $1000 monthly rent anymore.

I obviously don't know the relationship between you and your parents, but wanted to add that it wasn't terrible having them here.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Hope you work it out Lando.

Hey Dove, I sure wish I lived in a place where there is a problem with Javelina coming onto my property. Living life the right way man!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm just spitballin' Lando but it sounds like your buddy's badly handling a bad bind. He really couldn't deal, could he? The money lever or the social lever or both levers ruled him in the moment. Sucks for you, but I bet he's in hell, especially if he loves you. Good luck man. Nobody wins here.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:42 pm Hope you work it out Lando.

Hey Dove, I sure wish I lived in a place where there is a problem with Javelina coming onto my property. Living life the right way man!
I don't deserve to complain about the things I complain about. And yet, I think we should all know the difference between suffering and complaint, and acknowledge them in our lives, especially as they illuminate the blessings we have through no right of our own.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:46 pm I'm just spitballin' Lando but it sounds like your buddy's badly handling a bad bind. He really couldn't deal, could he? The money lever or the social lever or both levers ruled him in the moment. Sucks for you, but I bet he's in hell, especially if he loves you. Good luck man. Nobody wins here.
This is what it feels like is happening.

He's giving me 2 months to find a new place. I just was blindsided would have liked a heads up or some communication that it wasn't working.

I think I'm going to move in with my parents temporarily for a couple months save up to get my own apartment. I had a good talk with my parents about thier boundaries and expectations for living there. For a couple months I can do that, so I can have a more comfortable living situation instead of jumping into a place and putting it on a credit card or something like that.

Thank you all for your feedback and support. This really helped me get back into logical thinking and finding the best solution.

Just sucks I feel like this will effect our friendship for a while. I'm not upset about the result, if his girlfriend is uncomfortable and they want me out its thier place. I just would have liked some communication and feedback.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Lando05 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:07 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:46 pm I'm just spitballin' Lando but it sounds like your buddy's badly handling a bad bind. He really couldn't deal, could he? The money lever or the social lever or both levers ruled him in the moment. Sucks for you, but I bet he's in hell, especially if he loves you. Good luck man. Nobody wins here.
This is what it feels like is happening.

He's giving me 2 months to find a new place. I just was blindsided would have liked a heads up or some communication that it wasn't working.

I think I'm going to move in with my parents temporarily for a couple months save up to get my own apartment. I had a good talk with my parents about thier boundaries and expectations for living there. For a couple months I can do that, so I can have a more comfortable living situation instead of jumping into a place and putting it on a credit card or something like that.

Thank you all for your feedback and support. This really helped me get back into logical thinking and finding the best solution.

Just sucks I feel like this will effect our friendship for a while. I'm not upset about the result, if his girlfriend is uncomfortable and they want me out its thier place. I just would have liked some communication and feedback.
Just viewing this from the outside with the scant facts provided, seems like your friend is stuck between a rock (friendship) and a hard place (girlfriend relationship), and his inability to address it openly leave you to deal with the consequences.

Glad you have parental backup, and seems you're handling that well; bear down and trust you'll grow from this challenge!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

He'll probably regret letting his girlfriend dictate the situation, but he gave you two months so it seems like he is being reasonable with you and did give you a heads up.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Carcassdragger wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:15 am He'll probably regret letting his girlfriend dictate the situation, but he gave you two months so it seems like he is being reasonable with you and did give you a heads up.
Most likely. That's a great perspective to have and I'm gonna work on getting there.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

After a day of driving there's nothing like a false fire alarm in a hotel room at 4:53AM to make for another wonderful 6 hour day of driving thru LA basin Good Friday traffic.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One of my sons lives in San Diego and I despise driving down to see him from the Central Coast due to traffic starting in Santa Barbara continuing with the way through Ventura, LA, OC, and SD counties. Just LA county has 10 million people.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

My obsessive compulsive next door neighbor is at it again. I call him "digger squirrel" now just to mollify my wife. She's about to put a hit out on the guy because he is powerless in the face of his compulsion. After an intra-marital conference I'm going to deliver him a message between guys/husbands: "Randy, I have no personal issue with what you're proposing, but my wife is vehemently opposed to it. I have no conjugal commitment to ya bruh, so I'm siding with my wife. If you get caught in the act or by evidentiary implication, no matter how circumstantial, I promise to give you a proper burial in the desert somewhere."

I'm going to miss him.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We just stopped at a Taco Bell in SLC and they were out of hot sauce. Wtf? Your first job as a Taco Bell is to have hot sauce
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

84Cat wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:56 pm We just stopped at a Taco Bell in SLC and they were out of hot sauce. Wtf? Your first job as a Taco Bell is to have hot sauce
I would think that is at least number 2.

Number 1 would be to not give your customers food poisoning.

And I don't trust them to be able to handle that job either.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

84Cat wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:56 pm We just stopped at a Taco Bell in SLC and they were out of hot sauce. Wtf? Your first job as a Taco Bell is to have hot sauce
Haha, happens to us all the time in my town (daughter loves TB).

But for us it’s always the mild sauce, not the fire sauce.

Must be because of Covid supply chain problems…
(Lol)
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:37 am My obsessive compulsive next door neighbor is at it again. I call him "digger squirrel" now just to mollify my wife. She's about to put a hit out on the guy because he is powerless in the face of his compulsion. After an intra-marital conference I'm going to deliver him a message between guys/husbands: "Randy, I have no personal issue with what you're proposing, but my wife is vehemently opposed to it. I have no conjugal commitment to ya bruh, so I'm siding with my wife. If you get caught in the act or by evidentiary implication, no matter how circumstantial, I promise to give you a proper burial in the desert somewhere."

I'm going to miss him.
Whats he doing?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Our car was stolen two nights ago in Tijuana. My wife was there taking care of her sick sister.

Ugh. Now have to deal with the insurance company.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:30 am Our car was stolen two nights ago in Tijuana. My wife was there taking care of her sick sister.

Ugh. Now have to deal with the insurance company.
JFC! What a kick in the nuts. I hope the insurance company doesn't add to your misery. There's a special place in hell for them. They are merely thieves of another sort if you ask me. Sorry to hear this CD.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:25 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:37 am My obsessive compulsive next door neighbor is at it again. I call him "digger squirrel" now just to mollify my wife. She's about to put a hit out on the guy because he is powerless in the face of his compulsion. After an intra-marital conference I'm going to deliver him a message between guys/husbands: "Randy, I have no personal issue with what you're proposing, but my wife is vehemently opposed to it. I have no conjugal commitment to ya bruh, so I'm siding with my wife. If you get caught in the act or by evidentiary implication, no matter how circumstantial, I promise to give you a proper burial in the desert somewhere."

I'm going to miss him.
Whats he doing?
He's obsessed with his backyard which verges on a large wash filled with desert vegetation and critters. One would consider flora and fauna a good thing, right? But he spreads capsaicin around to ward off javelina, and he hounds the HOA about getting a fuels survey in here in order to mitigate a nascent and minuscule fire danger that really only exists in his compulsive engineer's brain. We dig the critters one and all, and we don't know what capsaicin might do to avian wildlife. And we categorically avoid unnecessary community agitation/organization that engineers crises when none exist. He's a prolific e-mailer of officials, scientists, department heads and HOA representatives. He CCs me every time. One day he was directly behind our house all but assuming legal stewardship of one of our mesquite trees and trying to re-establish a pruning regimen he had forced upon the little old lady we bought our house from. My wife ain't that little old lady, and he's gonna find that out eventually when she fucking kills him and hands me a shovel.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:48 am

I'm going to miss him.
Whats he doing?
He's obsessed with his backyard which verges on a large wash filled with desert vegetation and critters. One would consider flora and fauna a good thing, right? But he spreads capsaicin around to ward off javelina, and he hounds the HOA about getting a fuels survey in here in order to mitigate a nascent and minuscule fire danger that really only exists in his compulsive engineer's brain. We dig the critters one and all, and we don't know what capsaicin might do to avian wildlife. And we categorically avoid unnecessary community agitation/organization that engineers crises when none exist. He's a prolific e-mailer of officials, scientists, department heads and HOA representatives. He CCs me every time. One day he was directly behind our house all but assuming legal stewardship of one of our mesquite trees and trying to re-establish a pruning regimen he had forced upon the little old lady we bought our house from. My wife ain't that little old lady, and he's gonna find that out eventually when she fucking kills him and hands me a shovel.
FYI, capsaicin will not affect avian wildlife - they cannot taste it. In fact, some bird food contains capsaicin to deter squirrels)

However, I believe it repels insect pollinators.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:13 am

I'm going to miss him.
Whats he doing?
FYI, capsaicin will not affect avian wildlife - they cannot taste it. In fact, some bird food contains capsaicin to deter squirrels)

Thanks. The only thing I don't want around my house are the insects that get in the house and bother my wife. The rest of the bugs draw birds, and the more birds the better ..... until the doves nest in the gutter above the downspout.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:42 am
pc in NM wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:13 am

I'm going to miss him.
Whats he doing?

Thanks. The only thing I don't want around my house are the insects that get in the house and bother my wife. The rest of the bugs draw birds, and the more birds the better ..... until the doves nest in the gutter above the downspout.
This scenario sucks for sure, but nice to live in an area in which encounters with wildlife are a thing.

Encounters with shitty neighbors have few peers amongst that level of suckage though.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I think I've said this before, but growing up, we had javalina, gila monsters, tortoises, and the occasional coyote in the backyard on a regular basis. We were the last on the street to put up a backyard fence to keep the javalina and coyotes out, but we finally had to because they were driving the dog crazy when they came into the yard.

We never had snakes until a couple years after I left and Mom's sheltie had a run in with a rattler. Never had scorpions in that house, but tarantulas were fun. Mom got bitten by a brown recluse spider when she cleaned out the linen closet (that hadn't really been taken apart for years) so she could sell the house after dad died.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I used to think that retiring in Portal (SE Arizona) would be great. I've been there quite a few times. It's recently though that I've figured out how frigging snakey that place is. I'm not interested in dodging snakes every time I walk into the yard or property.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Talked on the phone today with my best buddy who still works in the woods. He told me a pal of ours from the old planting crew had died after a lifetime of alcohol and drug abuse. He didn't make it to 75. He was a good, good man with a bad, bad problem. He had an old world nature about him, and he had a wonderful heart that he extended to everyone. Yet he was a danger: 10 DUIs at minimum, and gawd knows how many illegitimate kids. I will miss his exuberance and optimism even while knowing he was wildly irresponsible and fated to corruption. RIP Paul.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Fucking dealership service departments. I don't change the oil on my own rigs anymore (10.5 - 11 quarts for my old diesel) but engine and cabin air filters? ..... fuck yeah! I do it myself and that's 6 bottles of everyday wine to the good.

I like Toyota and Lexus products, but the service departments just are what they are. Now Honda .... Dobbs Honda is/used to be the best service department in Tucson.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Dog days of summer man. Can't even find much college football news. I'm really looking forward to this season and find myself checking here and elsewhere for any Wildcat football news. Just not much to find I guess

What's going on with Demond Williams? We going to reel him in or not?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:10 pm Dog days of summer man. Can't even find much college football news. I'm really looking forward to this season and find myself checking here and elsewhere for any Wildcat football news. Just not much to find I guess

What's going on with Demond Williams? We going to reel him in or not?
I don't know anything but I like this prediction

https://247sports.com/Player/demond-williams-46110534/
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Yeah, I've seen those predictions but everything I read says he is taking visits, keeping his options open, and is even staying open about recommiting to Ole Miss.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Venting here because I don't know who to vent to.

This is a heavy one.

We just found out a few hours ago that a friend of our youngest son just completed suicide. Their friend group knew she was battling some things and she had even been checked into a facility over the summer. Both my kids are hurting (Our older son is friend's with this girl's older brother) Just a complete horrible situation. I'm so thankful our kids are at least talking to us about this and are getting together with friends tonight. We know the parents too (very nice people) and just can't imagine what they are going through. I'm so sad for everyone.

Hug your kids. Have difficult conversations with your kids. Love your kids.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

So sorry to hear AL. It’s just a devastating thing to go through which I know first hand unfortunately.

My Brother committed suicide in 2010. Not a day goes by where I don’t think of him or what I could have done more to try and get him the help he really needed.

But the worst part by far was what it did to my parents. That I will never forget. A parent should never ever have to bury a child.

Prayers go out to that poor family.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My oldest used to talk about suicide. We got him some help and through therapy and medication he seems to be doing better, but my greatest fear is that he’s just learned to hide the feelings he is still dealing with. So yeah, he gets lots of hugs, and our hope is that we convey to him daily in ways both big and small that the world would be an infinitely worse place without him in it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:15 am My oldest used to talk about suicide. We got him some help and through therapy and medication he seems to be doing better, but my greatest fear is that he’s just learned to hide the feelings he is still dealing with. So yeah, he gets lots of hugs, and our hope is that we convey to him daily in ways both big and small that the world would be an infinitely worse place without him in it.
That must be so difficult to hear / think about but sounds like you are doing everything right as parents. The most important thing is to always be there for our kids and not to ignore any of signs... but it is so hard with teenagers... you don't know if they are being typical moody teens or if something else is going on.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Damn guys. I'm so sorry to hear that. My daughter turned two this week and I'm already scared of her growing up. You both sound like phenomenal parents though.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Totally agree. The first 12 or so years it’s actually easier being a parent (and the most fun). Teenage years are rough especially nowadays with so much pressure from peers, social media, etc…Just need to be involved as much as possible and communicate constantly.

And you also need to be a bit flexible with your messaging. My daughter is doing really well with school, her dance career, etc… but I remind her not to put too much pressure on herself. Failure is OK when it happens and can become a life lesson. My son on the other hand is a different animal and at 25 is still finding himself. I tell him it’s okay and that some people take a little more time to get their shit together so don’t freak out if your friends are doing better right now.

Being a parent is the hardest job, but the most rewarding imo.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

How much should a dental crown cost? (With having decent insurance)

Fucking hell