Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Venting Thread

Post by Chicat »

It’s a beautiful night here. Crazy warm for late February. Just gorgeous. So we decided to open our windows and get some fresh air…

MY FUCKFACE NEIGHBOR HAS BEEN RUNNING HIS LEAF BLOWER FOR THE LAST FUCKING HOUR!

Don’t worry Captain Dipshit, no one wanted to enjoy a little peace and quiet on this beautiful night. Your yard being clear of the leaves you should have taken care of 4 fucking months ago definitely should take precedence.

It must be lonely being the only person in the world. I’ll have to ask him about that the next time I see his smug fat face.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You kill me Chi…
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:49 pm You kill me Chi…
I may be a bit over the top, but it’s dark out.

It’s fucking DARK out.

Did Mr. Green Thumb tell his family who he hates that he had to fix the yard then he just ran the stupid thing while he snuck beers in the shed?

Mercifully it has now stopped. But I’m anticipating at any moment that he’s going to decide it’s a great night to take up chainsaw carving.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:26 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:49 pm You kill me Chi…
I may be a bit over the top, but it’s dark out.

It’s fucking DARK out.

Did Mr. Green Thumb tell his family who he hates that he had to fix the yard then he just ran the stupid thing while he snuck beers in the shed?

Mercifully it has now stopped. But I’m anticipating at any moment that he’s going to decide it’s a great night to take up chainsaw carving.
It could be worse amigo.

You could be sitting at a Ruby Tuesday’s in Streetsboro Ohio sucking down Woodford Reserve while waiting for your EV rental car to charge next door because Avis rented you a car that had no god damn power left!

But I digress…
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ok, you win. But at least there’s bourbon.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

There’s ALWAYS Bourbon.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:48 pm MY FUCKFACE NEIGHBOR HAS BEEN RUNNING HIS LEAF BLOWER FOR THE LAST FUCKING HOUR!
No one hates that noise more than I do any hour of the day.

So love this new law. Although those old gas blowers last for years.

California recently passed a law, AB 1346, banning the sale of gas-powered leaf blowers and string trimmers (weed whackers) starting July 1, 2024. The law also establishes emissions reductions for existing gas-powered leaf blowers as of July 1, 2022.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The effect of neighborhood noises are wildly disparate. Mondays AM are leaf blower/limb saw/shrub cutter noise. It's like screaming weevils in my inner ear canal. Regularly there are trains rolling up and down the Santa Cruz river course that incite coyotes to sing in response. The coyotes can do their thing any time of day as far as I'm concerned, but if the landscapers warmed up after dark I'd ask my wife to relocate my handgun. I sympathize, Chi.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Still waiting for the Aussie ETAs to come through for April travel aaaaaaaaand ....... my wife gets a jury summons for late April.

Can I declare her non compos mentis? Can I coach her to poison the selection process? She's one of those people who's utterly incapable of tactical lying. I think I'm truly fucked.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:17 pm Can I declare her non compos mentis?
I mean, she did marry you sooooo…..
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:20 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:17 pm Can I declare her non compos mentis?
Why didn't I think of that right off the bat???

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:20 pm

Can't say for there, but here you can claim a one time skip.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

MY FACACKING C DRIVE ON MY DESKTOP MACHINE HAS DIED SOME HOW.

BETWEEN YESTERDAY AFTERNOON AND TODAY THERE IS SUDDENLY NO BOOTABLE IMAGE FOUND.

ĜGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGRRRRDDD
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is where some jerk suggests you try turning it off and turning it back on.

It’s me. I am that jerk.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That has happened to me a couple of times. I just unplug the power from the back of the computer, wait 10 or 15 seconds and try it again. That fixes it for me, but do I make backups often.

Also go into your BIOS and make the hard drive is recognized. If it's not there, that's a problem.

Add the bad hard drive to a 2nd PC using those USB cable connectors and see if it is recognized.

If it is recognized note the drive assignment, let's say D. Open a command window with administrative privileges on the host PC and run this command: chkdsk D: /f
assuming D is the new drive assignment to fix any data corruption errors it can find.

If the drive is recognized you can attach it to another computer as D drive and see if that PC can read the data. If it can't, and the drive is recognized you can still retrieve files that looks at bits and bytes and bring them over,

I did for a friend about 12 or so years ago. The recover program ran for 24 but she was able to recover a lot of the images she thought she lost.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I did most of that already. The drive is a M.2 SSD and I dont have another host to plug it into so that I can analyse it. My data, like photos, email repository, music, source code are on a separate physical drive, I should be able to rebuild, but its a pain in the ass. C drive backup is prolly 2 years old, or when i upgraded to win11.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I threw my back out Saturday sitting in the grass watching the bird of prey exhibit at the Renaissance Festival.

#athlete
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

First it was a sprained ankle taking a shit. Next it was a fucked up back sitting in the grass.

If your next injury involves pulling a hamstring smoking a brisket my betting parlay is going to pay off in a BIG way.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I believe that's fair punishment for attending a Renaissance Festival.

Hazzah!!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 am First it was a sprained ankle taking a shit. Next it was a fucked up back sitting in the grass.

If your next injury involves pulling a hamstring smoking a brisket my betting parlay is going to pay off in a BIG way.
I was just sitting there in your typical "sitting in the grass" posture. Legs straight but slightly splayed, arms behind me holding my torso in approximately a 45° angle. My left leg started to go to sleep and I went to shift my position a bit and twisted causing my back to yell "FUCK YOU GREG!!!!".
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:23 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 am First it was a sprained ankle taking a shit. Next it was a fucked up back sitting in the grass.

I was just sitting there in your typical "sitting in the grass" posture. Legs straight but slightly splayed, arms behind me holding my torso in approximately a 45° angle. My left leg started to go to sleep and I went to shift my position a bit and twisted causing my back to yell "FUCK YOU GREG!!!!".
Sounds like a Voodoo needle action...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 am
#tractionpool

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I fucking hate daylight savings time! Give me my extra hour of sleep back
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I hate it living in AZ because I basically have to work an east coast schedule… so 3 hour time difference sucks
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

California and a dozen other states voted to keep DST year round. OK Congress, get on it! DO SOMETHING.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

“You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight saving time.” — Dave Barry

So apparently there's a new setting on Android:

Set time zone based on location

It was turned off by default. So even though I am in Arizona, it assumed I was in MDT and sprung forward an hour on both my phone and watch. Thought I had really slept in!

Didn't realize it until I noticed my laptop had the correct time.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hate it.

I’m against the tyranny of FarmVille.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I didn’t even know it was today. Woke up all confused why my phone seemed to be an hour off.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The only reason it's a thing for me is because other people exist and I travel amongst them where they live. In winter we equate to Montana time; in spring we equate to Oregon time. It's because the rest of you fuckers have the audacity to exist elsewhere that it's such a pain in the ass.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:11 am California and a dozen other states voted to keep DST year round. OK Congress, get on it! DO SOMETHING.
Is that the deal Merk? Are the Feds the only ones that can officially change it? I know Californis voters approved the legislature to basically make it the same as Arizona and quit the twice yearly changing of the clocks, but it never actually happened.

I dont know one person that wouldn't like the current summer clock to just remain in effect year round.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

As a lifelong Arizonan in NM now this daylight savings time thing really sucks
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:08 pm I dont know one person that wouldn't like the current summer clock to just remain in effect year round.
Do you live in AZ? There was a reason why AZ is exempt from DST. People would come home an hour early and kick the AC up.

Regarding DST in CA, you can go back to standard time but not DST without congressional approval.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Prop ... ure_(2018)

As of 2018, the federal Uniform Time Act allowed states to adopt one of two options: (a) adopt DST between the second Sunday of March and the first Sunday of November or (b) remain on standard time all year. In 2016, the California State Legislature asked the President and Congress to pass an act that would allow California to adopt year-round DST.[2] In March 2018, Florida also asked the federal government to allow the state to enact year-round DST.[3]

When both blue and red states want it, it might be a good idea.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

A lot of people in the northern states want it because in the winter the sun wouldn't come up until 9 o'clock. It sucks but that's the truth. I can't imagine living in Vermont or Washington where it's even darker than here
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Boo fucking hoo northerners….
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Fuck every one of you...it's all about ECC.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:39 am Fuck every one of you...it's all about ECC.
You entitled Arctic Circle lobby miscreants are gonna ruin this country!!!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So....

My boss yesterday put an odd meeting on my schedule for today. (He never does this)

When I logged into the zoom... there he was..... along with the HR lead and the GM.

As soon as I saw them on the call... I knew....

They just eliminated my entire dept (But want us all to come back as contractors)

FUCK!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:05 am So....

My boss yesterday put an odd meeting on my schedule for today. (He never does this)

When I logged into the zoom... there he was..... along with the HR lead and the GM.

They just eliminated my entire dept (But want us all to come back as contractors)

FUCK!!!!
Sucks Ari…

Same pay, no benefits as a contractor? Or are they fully trying to fuck you over?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The dark side beckons my brother! Although I'm retired and know nothing of your business perhaps an old Nazgûl can help with your journey into Mordor.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:13 am

FUCK!!!!
Sucks Ari…

Same pay, no benefits as a contractor? Or are they fully trying to fuck you over?
No benefits- not sure what they are offering for pay yet- but It will not be full time hours... especially in the summer where workload dies down a lot

Also- just last month the company changed from PTO accrual to unlimited PTO... which means you can take as much PTO as you want... sound good? Unless you are fired... since you lost all of your PTO accrual... you have zero PTO to get paid out (I had about 40 hours built up that they just screwed me out of)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck, I am really sorry Ari. You got this though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That sucks Ari.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

How many in your department? How critical is it/are they to the company? Can you and the others bargain collectively? What do you need in revenue to compensate for your loss of healthcare?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just want to say even though I'm incredibly pissed / shocked /confused / nervous right now... I'm in a much better spot than most.

My wife works / has a good paying job (better than mine) and we were already getting medical benefits though her so the loss of my med benefits does not effect us at all.

I should still get a decent amount of work from them as a contractor... I just now have to get back into hustler mode to pick up other contract work. I did this all through my life pre-Covid... was just not wanting to go back to that lifestyle. Unless I try to do something else entirely...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:35 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:13 am

FUCK!!!!
Sucks Ari…

No benefits- not sure what they are offering for pay yet- but It will not be full time hours... especially in the summer where workload dies down a lot

Also- just last month the company changed from PTO accrual to unlimited PTO... which means you can take as much PTO as you want... sound good? Unless you are fired... since you lost all of your PTO accrual... you have zero PTO to get paid out (I had about 40 hours built up that they just screwed me out of)
You should see what your rights are. In CA they have to pay you out when moving to FTO
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Arizona really isn't a state that believes in rights for workers
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Sucks Ari. Hate to hear it. I hope you find something more stable to be honest.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Sorry to see this Ari. Really, really sucks.

Hoping this is one of those things that happens and sucks but then turns out to be a blessing in the long run.

Hang in there.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Carcassdragger wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:55 am Sorry to see this Ari. Really, really sucks.

Hoping this is one of those things that happens and sucks but then turns out to be a blessing in the long run.

Hang in there.
My condolences, also.

I can share that I had two similar occasions in my career (2005, 2012), and as bleak as it seemed each time in the moment, I actually found better opportunities very quickly!

It's sorta like the tourney - survive and advance!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thanks everyone!

BTFD!