Venting Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Venting Thread

Post by Chicat »

Daryl Zero wrote:You have a bad attitude about menstruation. I think you need this:

[youtube]ppuMaQ4hZE4[/youtube]
Canadians have positive attitudes about everything.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:In ancient Japanese, Indonesian, New Guinea, and Mali cultures, women on their period were forced to live in a hut at the edge of the village until they stopped bleeding and being total psycho bitches.

I'm starting to think we should bring this back...
At one point of my life I was the only male in a household with 3 women all on the same cycle...

PTSD
My father-in-law was a medic in WWII. He was at the Battle of the Bulge, received a Purple Heart from shrapnel he took at Remagen, and helped liberate a concentration camp.

After the war, he raised a family of four girls in a 1000 sq. ft. house in Phoenix with a swamp cooler. Five women - one bathroom.

Sometimes I wonder which was the more heroic effort.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:In ancient Japanese, Indonesian, New Guinea, and Mali cultures, women on their period were forced to live in a hut at the edge of the village until they stopped bleeding and being total psycho bitches.

I'm starting to think we should bring this back...
At one point of my life I was the only male in a household with 3 women all on the same cycle...

PTSD
My father-in-law was a medic in WWII. He was at the Battle of the Bulge, received a Purple Heart from shrapnel he took at Remagen, and helped liberate a concentration camp.

After the war, he raised a family of four girls in a 1000 sq. ft. house in Phoenix with a swamp cooler. Five women - one bathroom.

Sometimes I wonder which was the more heroic effort.
That man deserves 5 Purple Hearts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SandwichGuy

Post by SandwichGuy »

What is the effing deal with bottled water bottles not being flat on bottom???

some are so bad you cant even set them down.

pisses me off
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Douchebag parents who buy one quantity of the cheapest drink on the menu and let their 4 kids treat a coffee shop cafe filled with other working professionals like a playground.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

CalStateTempe wrote:Douchebag parents who buy one quantity of the cheapest drink on the menu and let their 4 kids treat a coffee shop cafe filled with other working professionals like a playground.
Now they are running around playing "Spider-Man"

Seriously what is the protocol here? You'd think the owner would say something, it's driving customers away.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Trip a kid when he goes by. Then casually say to a waitress or manager, "Well, that's a lawsuit just waiting to happen..."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

when did alieberman move to north carolina?? ;)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Allowing family members (who are clearly in the wrong) to keep their dignity when discussing issues only to then get sh*t from spouse for not "putting them in their place".

fml.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Allowing family members (who are clearly in the wrong) to keep their dignity when discussing issues only to then get sh*t from spouse for not "putting them in their place".

fml.
"Baby, I was setting that up for you. I made it easy for you, like a baseball on a tee. I thought you'd hit that one out of the park. It's not too late. Go take a whack at it. You're welcome."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm sorry LH I'm not following.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I prefer the college hangover morning-afters to these early-to-mid thirties family comes and makes a mess, then leaves, and I have to deal with the repercussion morning afters.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

and one more thing...my sister is fucking idiot.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:and one more thing...my sister is fucking idiot.
Not as much as mine is.

I'm saying that your wife can have the pleasure of standing up for what's right.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
Not as much as mine is.

I'm saying that your wife can have the pleasure of standing up for what's right.
Ah, gotcha.

Wife and I debriefed, clear skies ahead.

Its just sad when people come into the home and have no concept of decorum or lack a mental filter. Especially when they perceive things that aren't there and then act on it creating messes for me to clean up.

There are other issues with my sister that fortunately did not come up over the past few days.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Not as much as mine is.

Ah, gotcha.

Wife and I debriefed, clear skies ahead.

Its just sad when people come into the home and have no concept of decorum or lack a mental filter. Especially when they perceive things that aren't there and then act on it creating messes for me to clean up.

There are other issues with my sister that fortunately did not come up over the past few days.
I'll ask my sister if I have a half-brother I don't know about in Durham, because we're clearly talking about the same sister.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

My whole side of the family pretty much has no clue how to handle my meth-exposed 10 year old son. I haven't talked to either of my parents since July because of their naivete and lack of boundaries with this kid.

Basically, they reward their grandchildren with anything they want for being spoiled whiners after three decades of the "act mature and defer your dreams" line with me. They just can't be in the picture because their attitudes have made them so irrelevant.

For the first time in my life, I don't want to hear from dad. He has in mind betrayed every example he set and taught for me and is no longer supportive of my family.

Neither my wife nor I are independent adults in their eyes, never will be and aren't given even the courtesy of being listened to now because of it. Hope they enjoy feeling as alienated as I did under their watch, because as far as I'm concerned, they have outlived their usefulness and mask it all with money.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

TV and internet "marketing".

TV:

...Stations have pretty much homogenous audio volumes for each of their productions. But advertisements come in many decibels higher and make it harder to ignore their crap. Advertisers are obviously doing it on purpose to grab your attention, but deny they even touched the volume knob. I thought there was a law passed last year prohibiting volume amped ads.

...You're reading a bookor in the kitchen while the TV is on. The phone rings. You jump up because you're expecting a call. Oh. No. It's a phone ring coming out of a commercial playing. You yell "FU ABC company!", sit back down, and realize you forgot to put in your page marker.

Internet:

...Popups!! Getting nearly impossible to eliminate. There used to be an "elimination X", always in its home on the upper right corner. Now the X alternates to different corners. Sometimes it actually moves to another corner as you try to chase it. Sometimes it's in the upper right but hops around as you scramble after it.

Popups used to come arrive about the same place on our screen page. Now they come up in different locations, sometimes inexplicably in strategic content locations.

...Conventional non-popup ads. They used to be small, either of top, bottom or one side of the page. Now they're on all four sides and large, taking up a full 2/3 of the page.

...People who use colon intros followed little dots for topic separation---perfect little outlines. "Oh, I'm sooo organized" they're saying. Well fuck you, geek. This isn't school or business.
Last edited by EOCT on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Autostart videos on web pages.

CalStateTempe wrote:Allowing family members (who are clearly in the wrong) to keep their dignity when discussing issues only to then get sh*t from spouse for not "putting them in their place".

fml.

If your family members were talking about religion, politics, gay rights, abortion and so on then nothing you will say can change their mind.

I have a brother who is very right wing. I just let him ramble on.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

These car commercials can take their Subaru's and shove them up their asses!
Mike Luke's burner account.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Douchebag parents

You had me here. They are everywhere.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
illcat

Post by illcat »

People in general.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

illcat wrote:People in general.
Ewww. People. They're the worst.
illcat

Post by illcat »

Babies are cute, it's to bad they have to grow up and become people.
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Fuck you termites
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Fuck you termites
I found evidence of them as well yesterday...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote:I was trying to take a right hand turn out of a parking lot, but a cop takes (what would be for anybody else) an illegal U-turn right in the middle of the fucking street and pulls in front of me before I can make my turn. The cop that was following him stops in the middle of the road, and they proceed to have a window-to-window conversation, with much laughing and relaxation, while I'm stuck behind a squad car having to wait the whole thing out.

What would have happened if I'd have honked at them?
Today, I was taking a left at an intersection, and I started to make my turn but then had to suddenly slam on my breaks because of a loud siren that was to my immediate right. It was a squad car with its lights flashing and its siren blasting. I didn't know if he thought I was a criminal he was ready to force to the side of the road or what. Once I was stopped and looking at him, he pulled his squad car in front of me to cut around me and make a left turn without being in the turning lane. Then I completed my turn behind him, and he drove fast ahead of me, pulled off to the side of the road, and then jumped out of his car and greeted another cop, who handed him a bag of fast food and they proceeded to chat.

To serve and protect. Or to cause unnecessarily unsafe situations and stress for drivers.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Olsondogg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:Fuck you termites
I found evidence of them as well yesterday...
being a home owner sucks some times. seems like money sucking issues just avalanche together. sigh.

Longhorned wrote:
Today, I was taking a left at an intersection, and I started to make my turn but then had to suddenly slam on my breaks because of a loud siren that was to my immediate right. It was a squad car with its lights flashing and its siren blasting. I didn't know if he thought I was a criminal he was ready to force to the side of the road or what. Once I was stopped and looking at him, he pulled his squad car in front of me to cut around me and make a left turn without being in the turning lane. Then I completed my turn behind him, and he drove fast ahead of me, pulled off to the side of the road, and then jumped out of his car and greeted another cop, who handed him a bag of fast food and they proceeded to chat.

To serve and protect. Or to cause unnecessarily unsafe situations and stress for drivers.
Hey, can you blame him? He didn't want his fries to get soggy from steaming inside the bag. Nothing worse than soggy fries.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Saw a pig cop make an illegal left today while talking on the cell in a no text/no cell use while driving state.

\
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Apparently I'm the only one in the house that knows how to empty and fill this fucking thing.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:Apparently I'm the only one in the house that knows how to empty and fill this fucking thing.

I think I saw one of those in 1988 or so.

Now if I can only get an automatic refiller on one of these:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I still use ice cube trays because the ice cube machine takes up too much freezer room. I can fill up all that space with a single Trader Joe's run.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

If you don't want to lose your fucking talent, paying $10-15k below market value and expecting the intrinsic satisfaction of the work to make up for it isn't going to cut it. Especially when you've added the work of at least another person to the positions over the past three years. It simply isn't sustainable.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

ASUCatFan wrote:If you don't want to lose your fucking talent, paying $10-15k below market value and expecting the intrinsic satisfaction of the work to make up for it isn't going to cut it. Especially when you've added the work of at least another person to the positions over the past three years. It simply isn't sustainable.
"Intrinsic satisfaction"= "duties as needed" = free labor
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Apparently I'm the only one in the house that knows how to empty and fill this fucking thing.

In my house it's the garbage can and recycling can. No one knows how to remove the bags when they are full, where they go when they leave the house, or how to put a new bag into the can. It's amazing that adults made it into their 30s without learning this essential skill.

I'm also the only one in my house who has chores that are his or hers only. I'm the only one who deals with the garbage, lawn care, snow removal, and minor handy work. All other chores are shared. I mop, I wash dishes, I vacuum, I wash and fold laundry, I meal plan and cook, etc. And yet my wife "does all the work". Weird how that happens...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:I'm also the only one in my house who has chores that are his or hers only. I'm the only one who deals with the garbage, lawn care, snow removal, and minor handy work. All other chores are shared. I mop, I wash dishes, I vacuum, I wash and fold laundry, I meal plan and cook, etc. And yet my wife "does all the work". Weird how that happens...
You too, huh?

My wife simply doesn't let me do laundry or cook, then complains later about how she "has to do everything to take care of this house."

So doing the dishes, all the garbage, changing diapers, vacuuming, mowing the lawn and weeding and fixing the toilet last weekend isn't enough?

It inevitably leads to late-night "discussions" and very little sleep for me. Do some women just have to put themselves on a cross to feel better about themselves?

(*snicker away, organized religion posters*)
Last edited by catgrad97 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:

In my house it's the garbage can and recycling can. No one knows how to remove the bags when they are full, where they go when they leave the house, or how to put a new bag into the can. It's amazing that adults made it into their 30s without learning this essential skill.

I'm also the only one in my house who has chores that are his or hers only. I'm the only one who deals with the garbage, lawn care, snow removal, and minor handy work. All other chores are shared. I mop, I wash dishes, I vacuum, I wash and fold laundry, I meal plan and cook, etc. And yet my wife "does all the work". Weird how that happens...
I do all of that, too. My wife's only chore these days are folding her own laundry that I wash (because she thinks my folding isn't up to snuff) and the mail, which she does a horrible job with. She retrieves the mail and then hides it under the sofa, and then goes through the big pile about once every six weeks, when we find out things that "got missed" and now we're in trouble. I'd take over the mail, but then she'd have zero responsibility in our home.

The reason for this situation is that her job is like that of a staff member in the West Wing. She has to work constantly, usually in crisis mode, and she's lucky just to come home at night. Her colleagues openly treat me as if I'm her unpaid personal assistant who's on call for their needs as well, and don't really understand why I decline to do so. They don't even realize that I have a job of my own. I ran into her Dean recently, and he expressed surprise to have run into something on campus that had my own name attached to it. But the fact remains that she simply doesn't have time to contribute to the household.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Wife has the same issue with the mail. Only my job sometimes keeps me away from the household, especially on sh*tty Tuesdays and Wednesdays when coaches won't call back until evening and I have a 9 a.m. deadline the next morning.

Look, whatever you guys feel about my attitudes toward God, morality, whatever, I don't put myself on any higher plane than any of you. I go through the same problems every day that you do, and I respect and empathize with what you go through even if you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster--or just other people (as I do).

Unlike my boss, I do get that most everyone has families.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I had to work late last night. But before work, after walking the dogs, dropping the kids off of school, I also went shopping. Included in my shopping was a pre-made chicken, potatoes she just needed to heat up and a fresh garlic bread so when she got done working she could just pick up the kids and just have to heat up dinner. She texted me a thank you and a picture of a corona and lime she was drinking saying this was what she was really happy about.

I then make a "joke" that she can thank me later.

But it turns out the text was actually the thank you.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

catgrad97 wrote: Look, whatever you guys feel about my attitudes toward God, morality, whatever, I don't put myself on any higher plane than any of you. I go through the same problems every day that you do, and I respect and empathize with what you go through even if you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster--or just other people (as I do).
I don't care if you believe in God, or even know what you mean by that. When people do aggressive, immoral things to others in the name of God and can point to a text as the reason for it all, then I have a problem with them and this God they point to. This topic is appropriate for the venting thread, too, because I'm going to vent a personal example:

Chick-fil-A opposes the homosexuals the same right to marry and enjoy having the same kind of spouse we have, not pulling his or her weight around the house while making us feel guilty for all she does.

In response, an old friend of my wife and I takes her children to Chick-fil-A as an expression of solidarity against gay rights, teaching her children that hatred is a good thing.

I ask about it, and she explains that "God hates the sin, not the sinner." Well, that's one of the stupidest things anybody has ever said in response to a valid question. Next thing you know, her husband, and then her minister, try to argue with me based on their very limited understanding of anything at all, telling me how "God works in mysterious ways" and "God can't be questioned" and then, finally, giving me Biblical support for the institution of slavery. Now let's make the Jewish people pray like Christians in our public schools, and make all of our children learn that God made the world in seven days. Yes, I very much have a problem with that God. Thankfully, I often find that religious people's personal beliefs actually don't coincide with that nonsense, and that they don't do egregious things in the name of that god, and they believe instead in some kind of Aristotelian unmovable mover or something I don't understand. In which case I don't care. I do regret that religion, which I very much appreciate, has been undermined by immorality, especially when it hypocritically self-identifies as a beacon of morality.
Last edited by Longhorned on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:If you don't want to lose your fucking talent, paying $10-15k below market value and expecting the intrinsic satisfaction of the work to make up for it isn't going to cut it. Especially when you've added the work of at least another person to the positions over the past three years. It simply isn't sustainable.
"Intrinsic satisfaction"= "duties as needed" = free labor = medical residency and fellowship programs.
Seriously, American medicine is built on this model.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

catgrad97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:I'm also the only one in my house who has chores that are his or hers only. I'm the only one who deals with the garbage, lawn care, snow removal, and minor handy work. All other chores are shared. I mop, I wash dishes, I vacuum, I wash and fold laundry, I meal plan and cook, etc. And yet my wife "does all the work". Weird how that happens...
You too, huh?

My wife simply doesn't let me do laundry or cook, then complains later about how she "has to do everything to take care of this house."

So doing the dishes, all the garbage, changing diapers, vacuuming, mowing the lawn and weeding and fixing the toilet last weekend isn't enough?

It inevitably leads to late-night "discussions" and very little sleep for me. Do some women just have to put themselves on a cross to feel better about themselves?

(*snicker away, organized religion posters*)
Same here.

And then it gets real when they self reference that they brought life into the world. Vaginally. After 34 hours. And the midwife didn't use lidocaine for the lac repair, but I should have known to ask given my profession (no where near ob/gyn mind you) despite holding her hands down from grabbing sharp instruments and having my hair pulled out because she was in pain and afraid of stitches...
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I had to work late last night. But before work, after walking the dogs, dropping the kids off of school, I also went shopping. Included in my shopping was a pre-made chicken, potatoes she just needed to heat up and a fresh garlic bread so when she got done working she could just pick up the kids and just have to heat up dinner. She texted me a thank you and a picture of a corona and lime she was drinking saying this was what she was really happy about.

I then make a "joke" that she can thank me later.

But it turns out the text was actually the thank you.
I don't get the whole "too tired" thing. It isn't necessarily such an exertion. You certainly sleep better after.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You know, I wish more religious people thought as Longhorned does. That's actually better than most professors of theology I've heard ever explain Christianity.

Not sure when common sense got divorced from religion, but a big issue facing it is just how personal it has become. When I air my personal beliefs a little too generally, people don't understand them, I find. Not even my wife (a lapsed Mormon for many of the same reasons as Lando's and LH's).

John, I'm not sure what part of that quote you didn't know what I meant by it, but I simply don't want the good things that believers have built to get wiped out with the bad. How can I deny to you something that I feel in my bones and know in my heart--which may or may not have anything to do with organized religion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think when a person's belief is good for the person and good for others, it's a good belief. When an institution and its high-ranking members convey authority to persuade people to do harmful things in the name of belief, then the relationship to belief is a bad one. Religions, which darn well better be organized, should want to avoid being one of those authoritative institutions. Even though bad things did used to happen in the name of religion, the job of religion didn't used to be teaching people to have explicit beliefs that led to conflicts, and the specifics of that earlier stuff is hard to see straight through a modern or even an early modern lens. Beliefs, including spiritual beliefs, were outside of religion, and religion wasn't concerned with personal beliefs. For my own part, I'll take my beliefs without religion, and my religion without dogmatic beliefs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:I think when a person's belief is good for the person and good for others, it's a good belief. When an institution and its high-ranking members convey authority to persuade people to do harmful things in the name of belief, then the relationship to belief is a bad one. Religions, which darn well better be organized, should want to avoid being one of those authoritative institutions. Even though bad things did used to happen in the name of religion, the job of religion didn't used to be teaching people to have explicit beliefs that led to conflicts, and the specifics of that earlier stuff is hard to see straight through a modern or even an early modern lens. Beliefs, including spiritual beliefs, were outside of religion, and religion wasn't concerned with personal beliefs. For my own part, I'll take my beliefs without religion, and my religion without dogmatic beliefs.
I'm cynical, but I find it hard to believe that people won't use the institution of religion for evil. That's why I hesitate to say people should forsake using the institutional power for good. There will always be people ready to use religion for their own personal gain and in service of their own prejudices, and rather than leaving that aspect of power for them, I'd prefer people fight to use it for good.

I don't mind your ideal. I posted in the God thread about how I very much buy the idea that people could benefit from seeing religion in a personal sense rather than attempting judgment or conversion of others.
gumby

Post by gumby »

So glad I finally had a plumber hook up the water for the auto ice maker. Now I'm the only one who knows how to shut it down when it's overflowing.

I've said it before and will say it again. The overflowing trash bins in my house are like the cartoon Hobbes. Visible only to me.

This morning my son puts his karate uniform in the washer. Then he had to head out for school.

I said, "I'll put it in the dryer when it's done."

He says, "There are towels in there."

"Um, You could remove them."

"They're still wet."

"Um, "You could start the dryer."

"I guess."
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh, and while I'm kvetching. When I ask my son if he's completed a particular task, he answers that it should've been done.

Me: 'Were the bins rolled to the curb/"

Him: "They should be."

"Me: "Did you do it?"

Him: "Not yet."
Right where I want to be.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My ex always used to bitch at me for not doing my share of the housework as well. In fact, it was one of the reasons she cited for fucking a fatherly man she met at work. Funny, the house stayed plenty clean after she left, I was well fed and her car broke down a few months later due to lack of maintenance.

Sometimes I miss things about being partnered with a woman, then I remember what life was like with the ex. Fuck that shit.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What is it about people who shop at target not understanding the 10 items or less line?

Edit...oh no...a couponer!