Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Just got a new job at a 40% increase in salary.

That’s good, right?
It pays to change jobs in a tight labor market, or so they say. Congrats! Did you shitcan the boss who was so disparaging of your "skinny project pipeline"? That always sounded like sexual harassment to me.
He quit not too longer after that. People have been dropping like flies around here so it’s time to move on to greener pastures.

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

That’s good, right?
As long as we get a new entry in the Outrageous Purchases thread. :mrgreen:
New windshield to replace the one that cracked three weeks after we purchased our brand new car. And yes, it’s an outrageous purchase. Whoever is pricing these things can bite my crank.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Congratulations, Chicat! Stack 'em higher.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

That’s good, right?
As long as we get a new entry in the Outrageous Purchases thread. :mrgreen:
New windshield to replace the one that cracked three weeks after we purchased our brand new car. And yes, it’s an outrageous purchase. Whoever is pricing these things can bite my crank.
Beep boop {sad droid sounds}
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

All Chicat does is win, win, win, no matter what.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Congrats, Chi!

In a related note. I was the first of my position ever with my company. I’ve done so well, they are looking to hire more me me. They don’t say they need to hire more of the positions title.

They say, “We need to find more Johns”

I told them they may want to keep that hush hush.

We ain’t the BBBrothel, afterall. Haha
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Congrats, Chi!

In a related note. I was the first of my position ever with my company. I’ve done so well, they are looking to hire more me me. They don’t say they need to hire more of the positions title.

Tell the decision-makers at your company that there are no other Johns out there. But if they hire some people for you to manage (and give you a title and pay bump) you’ll mold them in your image.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Congrats, JMark!

There should be a Johnny Cash song that goes:

And every time I turn around,
You're waiting on another line of johns.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:

Tell the decision-makers at your company that there are no other Johns out there. But if they hire some people for you to manage (and give you a title and pay bump) you’ll mold them in your image.

It’s amazing I’ve been this successful while spending at least 20 hours weekly battling ESPN and the like.

What in the hell am I capable of without sports?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:Congrats, JMark!

There should be a Johnny Cash song that goes:

And every time I turn around,
You're waiting on another line of johns.
I like it!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Chicat wrote:

It’s amazing I’ve been this successful while spending at least 20 hours weekly battling ESPN and the like.

What in the hell am I capable of without sports?
After DukieV dies you’ll have enough energy and free time to run for Governor.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Wait for it....
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Que?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

...... I NO LONGER OWN TWO HOMES! Free at last! Free at last! Great googly moogly I'm free at last!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My U6 soccer team came out of our seeding tournament tonight 3-0.

Dominated.

Yes I may have made my wife become friends with all the other moms who’s kids where good and they all wanted to play together and with my kid. Yes we are predominately 5 year olds.

After sucking as a “developing team” last year and having one of the returners say to me before tonight “Coach CST are we gonna lose all the time like we did last year?” And me giving a knowing nod, and a “no” the rest of the league can suck it.

Dominated. Especially the boy with Italian parents, that kid can ball. In general most of them can. It’s nice to be on this side of things.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:My U6 soccer team came out of our seeding tournament tonight 3-0.

Dominated.

Yes I may have made my wife become friends with all the other moms who’s kids where good and they all wanted to play together and with my kid. Yes we are predominately 5 year olds.

After sucking as a “developing team” last year and having one of the returners say to me before tonight “Coach CST are we gonna lose all the time like we did last year?” And me giving a knowing nod, and a “no” the rest of the league can suck it.

Dominated. Especially the boy with Italian parents, that kid can ball. In general most of them can. It’s nice to be on this side of things.

Is this you CST?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We have an Italian kid, a Greek kid, a Lebanese kid, and Chinese kid with first generation of dads who’ve taught them well, a 4 yo who already has lock down defense from playing with his older brother ( and already has the art of subtle smack talk down to frustrate the other team) and my daughter and the two other kids have improved since last year.

One of the dads told me defensive stopper ran up to the other teams player and said “thanks for scoring a goal for us”. Lol

Good mix, take direction well, all hungry for the ball. All the parents know each other from the same school and get along. It’s gonna be a fun season. Just gotta figure out how to bring the pony keg onto the sidelines.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sit back and behold the job offer I just received. Sometimes I feel sorry for the rest of you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Professor Longhorned,

I was wondering if you would be interested in our shipboard lecturing/speaking opportunities?

These are not paid opportunities but one of the best opportunities available anywhere. I have attached some general information pertaining to our shipboard lecture program.

Listed below is an example of one of our many cruise opportunities we have to offer:

Regent Seven Seas Explorer

Oct 19 to 29, 2019

Venice to Civitavecchia

Mediterranean Cruise

Ports include Venice, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Taormina, Amalfi, Gaeta, Livorno, Portofino, Rome

Destination Lecturer – Lectures must pertain to the history, culture, mythology, architecture, and/or geography of the ports of call. (Due to the port intensive itinerary, the lectures may be scheduled late in the afternoon, evenings, and as per the needs of the ship.)

General Terms:

· Due to the short notice of this cruise the Sixth Star Fee has been reduced to $70.00 per night.

· One Complimentary suite for you and your guest

· One Round-trip, economy-class airline ticket for the lecturer only. Will arrange

flights for guest and charge costs to a credit card

· Gratuities to the room Stewardess and Restaurant Staff for Lecturer

· 20% Discount in the Boutique

· 20% Discount on Canyon Ranch Spa Club Products

· 20% Discount on Canyon Ranch Spa and Salon Services

· 35% Discount on Beverages (Does not include Beverage Packages)

· Shore Excursions (Based on availability passengers come first and excursions may

be canceled to accommodate full fare guests. Lecturers may not pre-reserve.

· Crew Rate for laundry and dry-cleaning services

· Complimentary Internet Service

Thank you.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul DiFilippi
Cruise Ship Enrichment
Sixth Star, Inc.
505 N.W. 1st Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
Phone: (954) 462 - 6760 Ext. 406
Fax: (954) 462 - 0737
e-mail: paul@sixthstar.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Below deck longhorned edition.

That’s pretty cool dude!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What was it before they reduced it?

the Sixth Star Fee has been reduced to $70.00 per night
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:What was it before they reduced it?

I have no idea but I'm assuming that means they're asking me to pay $70 per night for the pleasure of offering my free labor, all in exchange for a 20% discount in the onboard boutique?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Henceforth you shall be Professor King of the World!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:What was it before they reduced it?

I have no idea but I'm assuming that means they're asking me to pay $70 per night for the pleasure of offering my free labor, all in exchange for a 20% discount in the onboard boutique?
I guess "complimentary" doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore.

One Complimentary suite for you and your guest

If you were an arts and crafts instructor, you would only have to pay $40 a night.

Terms and Conditions – Arts and Crafts instructors who are placed by Sixth Star are offered the luxuries of a fine voyage in a passenger stateroom with full passenger privileges in exchange for their services and a small administrative fee of $40 per day for each day of the cruise. This fee covers the costs associated with the application processing, interviewing, correspondence on behalf of the cruise lines, form completions and all other steps necessary to complete your cruise placement. Included with your per night fee, we welcome you to bring one companion to sail in the same stateroom at no additional charge.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

During this time it seems this is a good time to revive this thread and, hopefully, get some good participation and encouragement sharing some awesome stuff.

I own the world for a bunch of reasons. The last few years my ex-wife has been trying her best to completely destroy my life including destroying my credit with fraudulent accounts and making up stories of abuse trying to get me sent to jail. Even through all this God blesses me at every turn. Each time she makes an attack a bigger blessing follows right behind it. Because of her harassment and threats I had to take a leave of absence from a job I loved with a great company that was great. I thought I would be left destitute, but a business dropped into my lap that is better than any job I've ever imagined. I work in my garage for about 20 hours a week and make more than I ever did before. I have more time with my family than ever and pretty much no stress. Meanwhile she looks like she's aged 10 years in the last few years.

I had a family trip to Disneyland scheduled for this summer, but had a sudden change of heart and decided to go in January so the crowds would be smaller. We took my parents(my father developed leukemia December 2018 and we almost lost him January 2019) and the girls and we had an amazing trip. A few weeks later Disney was closed down. If we hadn't gone in January we wouldn't have gone at all. One of my favorite things to do when we go to Disney or someplace similar is buy souvenirs in bulk before we go. The souvenirs cost a fraction of the cost, but I buy in bulk so we can randomly give souvenirs to children as we wander the park. It's an extra layer of magic to bless others with. The girls got to be a part of giving the gifts to other kids. They learned the joy of using your blessing to bless others.

Here's a pic on It's a Small World. The little one in the back is the most serious kid ever. Always studying.

Here's my little Elsa and Anna meeting Elsa and Anna. The little one was so overwhelmed she just cried.

We also took a trip to Vegas before all this started for a conference. The girls got sick on the car ride, but kept great attitudes. As we were waiting in line to check in holding both of our sick girls the person in front of us was just awful to the poor girl checking her in. When it was our turn I complimented her on how amazing her customer service and attitude was, we chatted about the car ride and the sick girls, and she fell in love with the girls. She decided to upgrade us to a penthouse suite overlooking the tower and the fountains at Bellagio. It was amazing. We pushed Marleigh's bed right up to the window for nap time and bed time and she would just lay there and watch the lights and the fountains. She still talks about it. It ended up being a great trip.

The social distancing has been hard becuase the girls miss grandparents and siblings, but overall it hasn't impacted us too much. Here's a few pics of how we've been working to keep our home fun and active.

ImageImageImage
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Awesome Phylek. You're living in Vail now? We just sold our house out there in March and are in the middle of relocating to Colorado.

I'll post mine. Both my kids graduated from college this month:

My son from UofA in Political Science. He's been volunteering on Mark Kelly's campaign and while he's currently unemployed due to the previous campaign he worked on losing donations, he's hoping to catch on full-time with Biden or Kelly.

My daughter walked at NAU in December, finished her student teaching this week and will begin teaching 7th grade history and social studies at a public charter in Goodyear in July.

They're ALMOST off the payroll. :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Phy, I know you couldn’t know this, but I needed that. Thank you.

And congrats to you and your kids Eebs!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Awesome Phy!

You hiring?!!!!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Wow Phy - this was fantastic to read! How you turn the downs into ups. Wonderful children too. Thanks for sharing!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We should file Phylek's account under When Good things Happen to Good People.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

I live in a semi rural area. Two main roads and they can get a little busy at times. I pull out of the property and head down to one of them. I turn on to it. Plenty of traffic, at least for this little town. I'm heading south and what appears in the road? A little black dog. So I hit the brakes and cars stack up behind me. I open the door and call the little guy. He comes right over and gets in the car. Lots of competition between him and my feet for the peddles. He has a tag. I call the County number on the tag, get the owners name and number, call the owner, get his address, and deliver "Gucci". The owner is happy, Gucci wags his tail, and I ... own the world.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can't imagine Gucci's owner's relief. You did the world a favor today Meow.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:I can't imagine Gucci's owner's relief. You did the world a favor today Meow.

Thank you, sir. I try every day. I'm a little older than most here, so the old hippie refrain, "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" still rings true for me. It's Mr. Meow. btw :D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:I can't imagine Gucci's owner's relief. You did the world a favor today Meow.

Thank you, sir. I try every day. I'm a little older than most here, so the old hippie refrain, "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" still rings true for me. It's Mr. Meow. btw :D
:lol:
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Thank you for believing in random acts of kindness, Dr Meow.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Phylek wrote:Thank you for believing in random acts of kindness, Dr Meow.
and thank you for the promotion, Dr. Phylek.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Dog's are perfect and you did the work of the divine. Respect.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Dog's are perfect and you did the work of the divine. Respect.
They are, no question - which is why we have four. My wife and I make little distinction between two and four legged creatures here. The back door is always open, the furniture is available to all.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

October 2018 I started my own cabinetry business in my garage based on an idea I had for focusing on meeting the needs of a very specific niche. The business steadily grew through 2019, by summer it was supporting the family, and by the end of the year was profitable with all investments in tools, and vehicles paid. Last month was the most profitable month we've ever had.

It is day 3 of June and in the first 3 days I have already received enough orders to pay all the business bills and family bills for the month. All of these orders will be complete and delivered Monday. The rest of this month is icing.

I am humbled by how blessed I am.

But I'm also pretty proud of this business.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Outfuckingstanding!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Phylek wrote:October 2018 I started my own cabinetry business in my garage based on an idea I had for focusing on meeting the needs of a very specific niche. The business steadily grew through 2019, by summer it was supporting the family, and by the end of the year was profitable with all investments in tools, and vehicles paid. Last month was the most profitable month we've ever had.

It is day 3 of June and in the first 3 days I have already received enough orders to pay all the business bills and family bills for the month. All of these orders will be complete and delivered Monday. The rest of this month is icing.

Do you do the installation as well? There's a good chance that whenever my wife and I are able to find a house we'll need some new additions for the kitchen. Cabinets, island, extra storage, maybe a bar area etc. I'd love to consider giving you our business when we know what we might need.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Outstanding. You should be proud. "no risk it, no bisquit", right? Curious to know the niche you are filling.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Phylek wrote:October 2018 I started my own cabinetry business in my garage based on an idea I had for focusing on meeting the needs of a very specific niche. The business steadily grew through 2019, by summer it was supporting the family, and by the end of the year was profitable with all investments in tools, and vehicles paid. Last month was the most profitable month we've ever had.

Do you do the installation as well? There's a good chance that whenever my wife and I are able to find a house we'll need some new additions for the kitchen. Cabinets, island, extra storage, maybe a bar area etc. I'd love to consider giving you our business when we know what we might need.
I don't do new installations. I was doing remodels, and that's what presented this opportunity, but not anymore.

I designed, built and installed cabinets for a friend a bit ago to see if that was an expansion I wanted to make. In the end, to compete with the prefab cabinets you can get from home Depot, Lowe's, or any number of places around town I would have to run margins that make it impossible to complete. My quality is better, so I could charge more, but my core business would suffer. Too much space and time commitment.

However, I do have a lot of experience and knowledge I'd be happy to let you pick my brain. A lot of people don't consider really great options because they don't know they exist. Also having an experienced set of eyes to help with a layout is huge. And if you're planning to buy and install yourself you'll want someone who knows what they're doing. The extra knowledge of how to tweak things can make a huge difference in how professional it looks in the end. I'd be more than happy to share that knowledge and even help with the install.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

MrMeow wrote:Outstanding. You should be proud. "no risk it, no bisquit", right? Curious to know the niche you are filling.
I repair/rebuild water and fire damaged cabinets. I don't work for a residential customer directly, I contract with restoration companies, so it's all driven by insurance money. It's a lot of little jobs. Sometimes it's one cabinet, sometimes it's a whole kitchen, sometimes it's a whole house. It requires a really fast turn around (I guarantee one week, but usually less) and the ability to do quick repairs and stain matching.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Phylek wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Outstanding. You should be proud. "no risk it, no bisquit", right? Curious to know the niche you are filling.
I repair/rebuild water and fire damaged cabinets. I don't work for a residential customer directly, I contract with restoration companies, so it's all driven by insurance money. It's a lot of little jobs. Sometimes it's one cabinet, sometimes it's a whole kitchen, sometimes it's a whole house. It requires a really fast turn around (I guarantee one week, but usually less) and the ability to do quick repairs and stain matching.
I bet you have a great Kreg pocket hole station.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Phylek wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

I don't do new installations. I was doing remodels, and that's what presented this opportunity, but not anymore.

I designed, built and installed cabinets for a friend a bit ago to see if that was an expansion I wanted to make. In the end, to compete with the prefab cabinets you can get from home Depot, Lowe's, or any number of places around town I would have to run margins that make it impossible to complete. My quality is better, so I could charge more, but my core business would suffer. Too much space and time commitment.

However, I do have a lot of experience and knowledge I'd be happy to let you pick my brain. A lot of people don't consider really great options because they don't know they exist. Also having an experienced set of eyes to help with a layout is huge. And if you're planning to buy and install yourself you'll want someone who knows what they're doing. The extra knowledge of how to tweak things can make a huge difference in how professional it looks in the end. I'd be more than happy to share that knowledge and even help with the install.
This is great, thank you. I'll definitely keep it in mind as we're likely months away at best. I'm definitely DIY inept for 90% of things so I usually would rather pay someone else who's actually an expert.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Phylek wrote:
How smart. You have set yourself up as the go-to cabinet guy for the restoration companies, and within reason price is not an issue because it's paid for by insurance. All the home owner wants to know is it of good quality and is it done in a timely manner. All the restoration company wants to know are those things and is the home owner happy. No bidding, just get er' done. Just really smart. I imagine you have little competition, and I hope you are now hiring help because I suspect you will need it.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

azgreg wrote:
Phylek wrote:
I bet you have a great Kreg pocket hole station.
I do. Pocket holes are one of my favorites. I have many ways of hiding the screws, nails, and what not that hold things together.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

After a recent software update my laptop fan ran continuously. Dreading the rabbithole of investigating a workaround I nonetheless identified and disabled the process that was hammering my CPU. Everything is normal and quiet now.

Dinosaur Boomer saves the world. It's the little things.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:After a recent software update my laptop fan ran continuously. Dreading the rabbithole of investigating a workaround I nonetheless identified and disabled the process that was hammering my CPU. Everything is normal and quiet now.

Dinosaur Boomer saves the world. It's the little things.
What was the touchdown dance like? Would you have been flagged by a PAC-12 ref for excessive celebration?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It was absolute exuberance. Penalty enforced after the nap.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

The little things need to be celebrated more often. Well done.