Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by JMarkJohns »

My current regional coordinator is now engaged and wanted a shift in her job. She’s in discussions to become the Media Director and face/voice of the BBB in Southern California both English/Spanish.

She recommended me to be her Yuma/Imperial Replacement, so I took it to our CEO last week in our Yearly chat. To my surprise not only was our CEO on board, he said it was his and my actual Marketing Boss’ plan for about a year now that when the Region was opened, it was mine. No external search, only internal, and with my connections, there’s nobody internal who could beat me out.

The job requires PR, Media Skills, Budget Management, Event Coordination, Marketing, Sales, Photography, Social Media.

So, basically everything I did and taught for NAU before that trainwreck derailed.

It will see my base pay double, and I will be the lone sales executive which should net me about $20k on top of the base.

Nothing is ever final until it is, and I’m tempting fate posting this now, as I know these types of brags backfired with NAU, but this just feels different.

My guess is the Region will be mine by Christmas, or by next Summer by the latest.

Long ways off, but it could also happen by September, because the only thing holding this up is that Media Director position being created and my director moving.

But that’s her intent and the BBB’s intent.

Maybe it happens. Maybe it doesn’t.

But it felt really cool to have the best BBB CEO in the country tell me they always knew they had a perfect candidate in place for when the spot opened.

But, seriously, I had our County Philanthropist and Citizen Of The Year for 2018 tell me I’m the man who saved the BBB in our region. So, this reinforces that.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well done J!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well that's fucking awesome. Nice work!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Now it just has to happen! Haha

I’m already an Executive on par with the Director position. I’d just be both. Haha. Only one in the entire BBB network to be both of it happens. The BBB anywhere.

Seriously.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:Well that's fucking awesome. Nice work!
When I look at all the skills overlap from my NAU time I just have to laugh, because I never should have taught half them. Grooming me without my knowledge. All of the Marketing, Sales, Budget Management, Advertising, and aspects of PR. All of which overqualified me for the current position, and will lend to my “hybrid” position nicely.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Good stuff, congrats!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nice work JJ that’s awesome!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Wife and I are debt free minus her federally subsidized student loans. Just were pre-qualified easily for our max budget on a house. Feels pretty good. Of course we don't want to spend that much. And the economy is tanking. And the last time I bought a house was 2005 and that turned out to be a horrible investment. And my mother was laid off and might have to move in with us the same time we buy our own house.

But alas, I will enjoy the nearly impossible millenial dream of buying an adult home and being largely debt free as long as I can.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s a good feeling scum, congrats!
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:Wife and I are debt free minus her federally subsidized student loans. Just were pre-qualified easily for our max budget on a house. Feels pretty good. Of course we don't want to spend that much. And the economy is tanking. And the last time I bought a house was 2005 and that turned out to be a horrible investment. And my mother was laid off and might have to move in with us the same time we buy our own house.

But alas, I will enjoy the nearly impossible millenial dream of buying an adult home and being largely debt free as long as I can.

Congrats. That is awesome.
I just paid off my house. Cars, credit cards, student loans all paid off. Literally no debt. Will be closing on a new house next month but enjoying a few months without a mortgage payment.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Congrats Scum! What you've accomplished is as rare as having a 40 year marriage, or starting a business and not going broke.

You should celebrate.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Appreciate it. Met with our realtor today. With this economy and market and how low the inventory is it will be a battle but we're hopeful.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Definitely more of a sellers market right now as fewer people are looking to upgrade their homes or take chances on new jobs causing moves and inventory.

But I’m super jealous of the low debt. I am largely personal debt free (have a Lowe’s card), but I have two business cards I’m still paying off. Starting businesses without liquid capital is hard. But I have a plan to build equity, then in 5 years refi, borrowing off equity (doable since my home is valued $40% more than when I bought it), pay off all debt, and use the savings to swap into a 15 year Mortgage from the 25 year.

Need a few more years before that is a thing. But that’s my plan.

Congrats on the no personal debt. That is nearly impossible.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Congratulations JMarks!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Wife and I are debt free minus her federally subsidized student loans. Just were pre-qualified easily for our max budget on a house. Feels pretty good. Of course we don't want to spend that much. And the economy is tanking. And the last time I bought a house was 2005 and that turned out to be a horrible investment. And my mother was laid off and might have to move in with us the same time we buy our own house.

Well done dude. That's an awesome accomplishment. I'm not all the way there myself, but I've made great progress in the last couple of years to gain control and am luckily now in a position to wack away in big chunks which I've been doing. Feels good to see light at the end of the tunnel. Will be reaching a couple of payoff goals next month, then focusing on another.

Like you I got burned by the 2005 housing market (bought the trophy family home at the peak) and then took it in the ass which was compounded by the ensuing divorce. I haven't owned a home in 10 years. Now my credit rating is soaring, I'm approved for far more than I ever intend to spend at a very low rate, and I can't find a house to save my life. It's a strong seller's market in Boise, we're on every top-10 places to live list, and given the current situation, this is one of the places people are bailing to. Prices are ridiculous and new listings are selling in hours at well over asking with multiple escalating back up offers. It's been frustrating and I'm being very cautious about repeating past mistakes. I may have to move to Montana or the Yukon Territories at this point . . .

Anyway, again, well done. Having the understanding and your financial house in order at a young age will serve you well.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Thanks I appreciate it. We paid off and saved about 6 figures in just over 2 years.

And your description of Boise is basically identical to Tucson. Inventory is about 20% of the norm and houses are selling way over asking price in hours. Too bad I didn't have my shit in order 5 years ago like when all my coworkers bought their houses. They all have tens or hundreds of thousands of equity after just a few years. Took me 15 years to break even on a 2 bedroom townhouse. Met with the realtor yesterday to start the real work. So game on.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

BearDown89 wrote:

Well done dude. That's an awesome accomplishment. I'm not all the way there myself, but I've made great progress in the last couple of years to gain control and am luckily now in a position to wack away in big chunks which I've been doing. Feels good to see light at the end of the tunnel. Will be reaching a couple of payoff goals next month, then focusing on another.

Like you I got burned by the 2005 housing market (bought the trophy family home at the peak) and then took it in the ass which was compounded by the ensuing divorce. I haven't owned a home in 10 years. Now my credit rating is soaring, I'm approved for far more than I ever intend to spend at a very low rate, and I can't find a house to save my life. It's a strong seller's market in Boise, we're on every top-10 places to live list, and given the current situation, this is one of the places people are bailing to. Prices are ridiculous and new listings are selling in hours at well over asking with multiple escalating back up offers. It's been frustrating and I'm being very cautious about repeating past mistakes. I may have to move to Montana or the Yukon Territories at this point . . .

Anyway, again, well done. Having the understanding and your financial house in order at a young age will serve you well.
We went to look at a house listed for $700,000 and it sold in 5 days for $750,000. Pretty common for what we are seeing here in Boise or someone lists a house for $100/sq ft more than what the house next door sold for just 6 months earlier.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I don't think I've ever really taken stock in how advantageous it was for us to buy our house in Q4 2009. Had a very low interest rate (which we've since refinanced even lower) coupled with a ton of inventory. It was really an ideal market, but we didn't really know or care. There was a baby on the way and we needed to move somewhere we could get some free childcare.

Since then our home has appreciated about 30% while we've paid off about 33% of the principal. Outside of about $10K we owe on a car, we have no other debt other than the house. The only thing we're really behind on is college funds for the kids. We have them, but we don't contribute nearly enough to cover what college will cost in 10 years. But as someone once told me, you can borrow for college but you can't borrow for retirement. So we've been prioritizing savings, 401Ks, and other investments as opposed to the kids' 529s.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea my budget definitely isn't 700k but I've seen houses here that were listed for 300k and sold in 2 days for 325 or 330k. Gonna be a slog.

Unfortunately I have the luck to buy houses during both real estate peaks where it was a strictly seller's market. I wonder if I'll ever see equity in property I own haha. At least I can own a house unlike half the other people I know in their 30s.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What is the current rate?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I still think everything in the home sale and rental market is going to crash when the no eviction order and extra unemployment expire and with no additional stimulus checks.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:What is the current rate?

Last I checked in with my local credit union (a couple weeks ago) it was 2.875% so I increased my budget to open up my market, but it still hasn't netted more or any decent listings.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

UAEebs86 wrote:I still think everything in the home sale and rental market is going to crash when the no eviction order and extra unemployment expire and with no additional stimulus checks.
This is why I'm being patient and looking without anxiety. I'm in no rush and content where I am. I'm not going to pay top dollar (again) for something that doesn't absolutely meet my needs and make me happy. We'll see if there's any kind of market correction, bubble burst, etc., but Boise's current desirability is certainly propping its market up quite a bit.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
Thanks for posting Chi. Lots of articles here. Will read . . .
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BearDown89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Thanks for posting Chi. Lots of articles here. Will read . . .
You may have to subscribe, in which case I apologize for the tease. But shouldn’t be hard to do a free trial or sign up and cancel.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:I still think everything in the home sale and rental market is going to crash when the no eviction order and extra unemployment expire and with no additional stimulus checks.
This is why I'm being patient and looking without anxiety. I'm in no rush and content where I am. I'm not going to pay top dollar (again) for something that doesn't absolutely meet my needs and make me happy. We'll see if there's any kind of market correction, bubble burst, etc., but Boise's current desirability is certainly propping its market up quite a bit.
Agreed. I am afraid of my history repeating itself but Tucson seems to be a lot like Boise in that regard. People are fleeing here from the more expensive Western cities. I just hope I don't pay $350k for a house that was 250k 5 years ago and 5 years from now is back to 250k...
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

scumdevils86 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Agreed. I am afraid of my history repeating itself but Tucson seems to be a lot like Boise in that regard. People are fleeing here from the more expensive Western cities. I just hope I don't pay $350k for a house that was 250k 5 years ago and 5 years from now is back to 250k...
What's the market like in the Foothills these days? Every time I get fed up at work I dream about quitting and moving back to what I still kind of think of as home.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

legallykenny wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
What's the market like in the Foothills these days? Every time I get fed up at work I dream about quitting and moving back to what I still kind of think of as home.
About as expensive as it's ever been. Cheaper than California of course but people also get paid way more in California. Good portion of houses over $1 million now and generally anything that's like 3+ bedrooms and is newer or nicer or has any kind of view is going to be $500k-600k+
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well...we looked at one house so far since we've been pre-qualified. And I think we're going for it. First one. Kinda scary.

But it's a decent location that's very close to my work (if I ever go back). It's all completely gutted and remodeled. Nice pool with new filter and equipment. New plumbing and electrical panels. New doors and energy efficient windows. 4 bedrooms. We love it.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ASUHATER! wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
About as expensive as it's ever been. Cheaper than California of course but people also get paid way more in California. Good portion of houses over $1 million now and generally anything that's like 3+ bedrooms and is newer or nicer or has any kind of view is going to be $500k-600k+

That sounds like a steal...I wish I knew how long we're going to be working remotely. I would love to buy back my parents' old house in LPCC.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

scumdevils86 wrote:Well...we looked at one house so far since we've been pre-qualified. And I think we're going for it. First one. Kinda scary.

But it's a decent location that's very close to my work (if I ever go back). It's all completely gutted and remodeled. Nice pool with new filter and equipment. New plumbing and electrical panels. New doors and energy efficient windows. 4 bedrooms. We love it.
This is definitely NOT legal advice, but I had a few drinks before I signed the papers when I bought my townhouse back in 2015. Helped a bit with the fear.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Not owning the world on that one. We lost out on the house I mentioned. It was perfect. On to the next one. This market is absolutely brutal for buyers.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

What a whirlwind. This real estate market is insane, truly makes me wish I was selling. It is 100% beneficial to sellers.

But the true story here is that my wife and I had our offer accepted on a house tonight. We have been officially shopping for 6 days and we're already going all in on a house. It's crazy. We beat out 7 other offers by offering almost 12% over the original asking price. This house is the polar opposite of the one we saw on Sunday and lost out on too. (Ina and Thornydale vs Pima and Camino Seco)

About 1700 sq feet if you include the add on in the yard that I'll use for my office. 3 br, 2 ba. Nice pool. Big lot on a cul de sac set way back from the street. Lots of outdoor storage. It isn't 100% perfect but it'll be ours and finally at 34 years old I'll get to have my own adult house!

...of course my mother will also (hopefully temporarily) be moving in with us at the same time. Wife and I won't get a single night alone in our adult house but oh well.

We've worked hard for this the last 4 years. We got married, wife went to nursing school and now makes a ton as PRN, we paid off $40k in debt and saved enough for a large down payment plus moving and remodeling costs. I was able to get promoted and am looking at another big promotion soon.

All in all we are very lucky and privileged considering the shit storm world surrounding us. I'll try and not take it for granted even with the coming frustrating moments of moving and my mother!
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:What a whirlwind. This real estate market is insane, truly makes me wish I was selling. It is 100% beneficial to sellers.

But the true story here is that my wife and I had our offer accepted on a house tonight. We have been officially shopping for 6 days and we're already going all in on a house. It's crazy. We beat out 7 other offers by offering almost 12% over the original asking price. This house is the polar opposite of the one we saw on Sunday and lost out on too. (Ina and Thornydale vs Pima and Camino Seco)

About 1700 sq feet if you include the add on in the yard that I'll use for my office. 3 br, 2 ba. Nice pool. Big lot on a cul de sac set way back from the street. Lots of outdoor storage. It isn't 100% perfect but it'll be ours and finally at 34 years old I'll get to have my own adult house!

...of course my mother will also (hopefully temporarily) be moving in with us at the same time. Wife and I won't get a single night alone in our adult house but oh well.

We've worked hard for this the last 4 years. We got married, wife went to nursing school and now makes a ton as PRN, we paid off $40k in debt and saved enough for a large down payment plus moving and remodeling costs. I was able to get promoted and am looking at another big promotion soon.

All in all we are very lucky and privileged considering the shit storm world surrounding us. I'll try and not take it for granted even with the coming frustrating moments of moving and my mother!
That is awesome. Congrats. I will be selling my house soon. Hope I get some good offers.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Congrats Andrew! Well done my dude.

Also, to piggyback off LK’s advice. A couple of drinks is a good idea. Celebrate. This is a big fucking deal. Just don’t do what I did*.

*Signed the papers on 2 hours sleep coming down from 3 capsules of Molly the morning after an insane Halloween night rave.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Bahahah well yours sounds a lot more unique. Thank you J. Unfortunately, my wife was wiped out with no sleep after work the last few nights and slept until almost 6 pm. She woke up, signed the counter offer, we had 5 mins to talk, then she got dressed and headed off to work in the Covid unit yet again. Hoping to celebrate on Friday when we actually get a night together.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Way to go SD! Big ups!
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

That's awesome news. Congratulations to you guys.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Just finished up all the inspections on the house. Went with the works cuz I don't want any surprises and I'm not particularly handy myself.

Pool
HVAC
Termite
Roof
Leak/Mold
Sewer
General Inspection

A few issues but hopefully the bigger stuff we can get the seller to do. Going to paint the whole interior and change some electrical fixtures. Put new flooring in my detached office. I love this house.

The sellers are a lovely black couple in their 70s that are downsizing. I want them to be my adopted grandparents. They're leaving us a hot tub and all the appliances too and even some nice furniture and equipment for the yard. Wonderful people! I'm happier buying a house from someone like them.

Pool needs to be cleaned after latest rain storm but you can see all the fruit trees. Navel, valencia and blood orange. Also lemon, lime, and a fig tree out front.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Very nice. Get a fence around that pool.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:Very nice. Get a fence around that pool.
Yea that's on the roadmap here over the next year or 2 before we start trying for kids.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I rented a house with a pool for a few years. It was very bad for my liver.

Congratulations!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUCatFan wrote:I rented a house with a pool for a few years. It was very bad for my liver.

Congratulations!
However, there isn't a better stress reliever.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Closing on our house at 9:30 AM tomorrow. Taking our time moving and getting some improvements and repairs done. We've been living so frugally for so long and saving so aggressively it has been a bit of a shock spending so much money on a new bed, fridge, painters, movers, couch, dining room furniture...

But we worked really hard to be in a place to be able to pay for everything in cash so I should just get over it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Buy yourself a bad ass new grill.

That was my first new house purchase.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Buy yourself a bad ass new grill.

That was my first new house purchase.
I have a Weber gas grill and an electric smoker. But one of my first purchases is going to be a deluxe version of a Weber charcoal kettle grill with all the accessories.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Look into the Slow and Sear for the Weber Kettle. I can smoke like a Bradley and reverse sear steaks like crazy. Best $99 I’ve ever spent.

Here’s their YT channel... https://m.youtube.com/c/SnSGrills/featu ... HVEwC1M%3D" target="_blank

Meathead calls it the best accessory for a Weber Kettle.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

wyo-cat wrote:Look into the Slow and Sear for the Weber Kettle. I can smoke like a Bradley and reverse sear steaks like crazy. Best $99 I’ve ever spent.

Here’s their YT channel... https://m.youtube.com/c/SnSGrills/featu ... HVEwC1M%3D" target="_blank

On the top of my list!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

wyo-cat wrote:Look into the Slow and Sear for the Weber Kettle. I can smoke like a Bradley and reverse sear steaks like crazy. Best $99 I’ve ever spent.

You can achieve the same thing with a couple of common bricks. Home Depot will be happy to sell them to you. Use them to erect a dam at about 1/3 the width of the kettle (about the same split the Slow and Sear provides). Fire up your charcoal in a chimney and when ready dump it behind the dam. You then have the same split between direct and indirect heat this $99 gadget provides for less than a Buck. The water is unnecessary. Been using this hillbilly method for years. Works great. If you're a BBQ guy like me, go to Qtalk on BBQ Brethren. Lots to learn there.