Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:42 am We're rumored to be up for a 2% raise.

Dante would place 97cats in the seventh ring of hell.
Don't spend it all in one place.

I feel successful until I read 97's posts.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I hate to post something so soon after my last post in this thread, but after doing a job that I absolutely love but that doesn't pay well and has no room for growth for the past 6 years, I accepted a promotion today. I'll be moving from teaching to IT. I have no IT background. I have no idea what I'm doing. They seem to think I will be fine. The initial pay increase isn't huge, but there is a lot more room for growth here and I get out from under a really bad boss. I start at the end of June. I'm super excited!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:05 pm I hate to post something so soon after my last post in this thread, but after doing a job that I absolutely love but that doesn't pay well and has no room for growth for the past 6 years, I accepted a promotion today. I'll be moving from teaching to IT. I have no IT background. I have no idea what I'm doing. They seem to think I will be fine. The initial pay increase isn't huge, but there is a lot more room for growth here and I get out from under a really bad boss. I start at the end of June. I'm super excited!
That's awesome! I've actually never heard of a person getting promoted to something they actually know how to do. You really will be fine, and at the expense of all involved.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ASUCatFan wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:05 pm I hate to post something so soon after my last post in this thread, but after doing a job that I absolutely love but that doesn't pay well and has no room for growth for the past 6 years, I accepted a promotion today. I'll be moving from teaching to IT. I have no IT background. I have no idea what I'm doing. They seem to think I will be fine. The initial pay increase isn't huge, but there is a lot more room for growth here and I get out from under a really bad boss. I start at the end of June. I'm super excited!
I actually got into IT consulting with no IT background so I know the feeling. After a dozen years I'm still fooling 'em. :lol:

If you have any questions, IM me.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Also, use the trick that IT personnel use on me: Assess the situation, do a quick mental calculation on anything that's out of your own hands (user's device, accessories, credentials, and software), blame it on any combination of those things, and wash your hands of it.

If ever you're out of ideas, just cite "compatibility issues" and go back to your nap. When you really think about it, what are they going to do? If they go back to their department and say they can't teach under the circumstances, their tired departmental chair will explain that they'd better figure something out because shit's hitting the fan with the new budget and they don't have time to micromanage other people's problems. And that if their teaching suffers, they'll probably be fired.

You might ask why an IT staff member would want to leave users screwed over in this way. Because fuck them.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

my son was honored with the Bess Ferguson Award at his 6th grade promotion today.

this award is given to one student a year who exemplifies all the amazing characteristics that Ferguson displayed herself thirty years ago when the leadership honor was established.

its the top award given at the school as it recognizes all phases of being a student - leadership, academics, and character.

i had no idea he was winning it and neither did he, hearing his name announced and hearing a teacher use the words "humble, kind, fair, inclusive, compassionate, and natural leader" to describe your child as he stands in front of his peers and their families was one of the most incredible and humbling experiences ive ever had.

i know its a flex to come on here and share but i cant help it, this morning was one of the best days of my entire life.

cried the happiest tears in a looooooong time.....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Obviously he’s the beneficiary of great parenting.

Nice work Dad!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Congrats’97. Best feeling in the world when your kids make you proud.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Congrats 97. I'm too happy for you to come up with a clever way to bust your chops for having a son wise enough to have a mom who compensated for you know who.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Excellent 97. Congratulations. Very, very cool.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well done, 97! More than even the great accomplishment, you own the world for being openly proud of your son's great accomplishment (I have no doubt you didn't just stay silent to your son and then celebrate it here). That's a big deal! Not every son has that in a dad.

It made me wonder whether I'd won any awards at my old school that I forgot about, so I googled it. It turns out that some woman with my very same last name won an award at my school in 1942! For me, that's close enough.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Somehow I've skipped over this thread for the past year.

Great stuff everyone!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:23 pm my son was honored with the Bess Ferguson Award at his 6th grade promotion today.

this award is given to one student a year who exemplifies all the amazing characteristics that Ferguson displayed herself thirty years ago when the leadership honor was established.

its the top award given at the school as it recognizes all phases of being a student - leadership, academics, and character.

i had no idea he was winning it and neither did he, hearing his name announced and hearing a teacher use the words "humble, kind, fair, inclusive, compassionate, and natural leader" to describe your child as he stands in front of his peers and their families was one of the most incredible and humbling experiences ive ever had.

i know its a flex to come on here and share but i cant help it, this morning was one of the best days of my entire life.

cried the happiest tears in a looooooong time.....
Adopted?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I played in a golf tournament Saturday up in Prescott (Antelope Hills Golf Course) for the informal group I belong to.

https://www.mgatour.com/
https://www.mgatour.com/chapters/west-valley-az

I won the tournament qualifying for the World Championship in Vegas in November. I also won a skin that was enough to cover my entry fee.
I also drew the Bronze Ticket getting me free entry into the Worlds (two rounds of golf and three nights stay at the hotel)

It was a good weekend.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The Claret Juggs for winning the Brattish Open.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:14 am I played in a golf tournament Saturday up in Prescott (Antelope Hills Golf Course) for the informal group I belong to.

I won the tournament qualifying for the World Championship in Vegas in November. I also won a skin that was enough to cover my entry fee.
I also drew the Bronze Ticket getting me free entry into the Worlds (two rounds of golf and three nights stay at the hotel)

It was a good weekend.
Way to go AZ "Fire Tits" Greg!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:08 pm
azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:14 am I played in a golf tournament Saturday up in Prescott (Antelope Hills Golf Course) for the informal group I belong to.

It was a good weekend.
There's a guy in our group we call Fire Tits.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:51 pm

It was a good weekend.
Yeah, I know. I saw the name in one of the links you provided and I decided it was you. I'm hoping as your new name it sticks around here.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:22 pm

It was a good weekend.
Yeah, I know. I saw the name in one of the links you provided and I decided it was you. I'm hoping as your new name it sticks around here.
For the Douchebag Invitational they ask you to dress like a douchebag. A couple of years ago I wore ASSu gear.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:46 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:22 pm

It was a good weekend.
For the Douchebag Invitational they ask you to dress like a douchebag. A couple of years ago I wore ASSu gear.
You gotta give us the history behind the name "Fire Tits". Also, are you brave/foolish enough to tell us your nick name within your posse?

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:41 pm You gotta give us the history behind the name "Fire Tits". Also, are you brave/foolish enough to tell us your nick name within your posse?
He's a firefighter. No nicknames for me as far as I know.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't know if I own the world but my oldest just got accepted to UofA for next year.... and he will be going.

Bear Down
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

WooHoo!!
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I always forget about this thread, but I think it might just be one of the best on here.

Just "negotiated" a 50% raise without even really trying. It feels good to be paid what you think you're worth.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

How the hell did you do that? Bottle it. Sell it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:20 pm How the hell did you do that? Bottle it. Sell it.
Well to start, I was significantly underpaid. Also the timing was just right. It isn't easy to attract people to Alabama right now, especially since it is relatively easy to find work. With that, it was just we can't afford to lose anyone to the point where I was essentially pushed to go ask for a raise. In the end, while I think I'm worth the amount, I also have to admit I was just incredibly lucky and work with some great people that value their coworkers.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DrWildcat wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:04 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:20 pm How the hell did you do that? Bottle it. Sell it.
Well to start, I was significantly underpaid. Also the timing was just right. It isn't easy to attract people to Alabama right now, especially since it is relatively easy to find work. With that, it was just we can't afford to lose anyone to the point where I was essentially pushed to go ask for a raise. In the end, while I think I'm worth the amount, I also have to admit I was just incredibly lucky and work with some great people that value their coworkers.
Well congrats, because that's immediately life-changing #s especially if you live in a low cost of living area.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I just got a promotion with a bump in salary and bonus.

They are about to send a company wide email recognizing all of the mid-year promotions, and they've asked me to include a fun fact about myself.

I was thinking of submitting "...in his spare time he is known as Eastcoastcat within the Beardownwildcats.com community where you will often times see him submit snarky and sarcastic comments."
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So I no longer am a resident of Tucson or Arizona. I've moved to Ruidoso New Mexico to be with my fiance. It is a hopefully temporary move as she still searches for a job in her field that can take us potentially anywhere in the country. But it is the biggest change I've ever made in my life and it is exciting and a lot to take in. I've always been a big city desert guy and now I'm living in a 15000 person mountain town in a blood red county. But I'm excited to start the next chapter of my life
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:54 am So I no longer am a resident of Tucson or Arizona. I've moved to Ruidoso New Mexico to be with my fiance. It is a hopefully temporary move as she still searches for a job in her field that can take us potentially anywhere in the country. But it is the biggest change I've ever made in my life and it is exciting and a lot to take in. I've always been a big city desert guy and now I'm living in a 15000 person mountain town in a blood red county. But I'm excited to start the next chapter of my life
Nice! Ruidoso is a real nice place. Might be a good place to stick around. Hopefully you've got a resume that will get you employment wherever.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Purchase of a smaller home in Green Valley just recorded. Now I gotta get rid of the Sedona house. (sigh) I said I wasn't going to do this again. I'm hoping the lack of Juniper in the low desert will turn off the phlegm production. Right now if I could just make hydrocarbons out of snot everyone on BDW would have free gas for life.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

:|
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:39 am Purchase of a smaller home in Green Valley just recorded. Now I gotta get rid of the Sedona house. (sigh) I said I wasn't going to do this again. I'm hoping the lack of Juniper in the low desert will turn off the phlegm production. Right now if I could just make hydrocarbons out of snot everyone on BDW would have free gas for life.
Good luck on it Dove. Green Valley should be nice but man, it's not Sedona.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dcc's new car.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Yup CD, it ain't Sedona but maybe, just maybe it won't have the cultural/economic limitations Sedona had. Greg, don't give me too much grief. Even though I quit golf quite a while ago, we got a place in Quail Creek, a (Karrin) Robson community. Yeah, I know, believe me I know, but it was a resale home so at least it didn't go straight into her husband's pocket.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Avoid East bound I-10 between Picacho Peak and Eloy! Truck fire has a 15 mile traffic snarl underway.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Moved into the Green Valley house on Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday was down to the short strokes, and we're still shellshocked and beat as fuck. It's good to smell the low desert and know Tucson is a short drive north. Best part though ........ LIBTARDS! There are tons of LIBTARDS on my lawn! We haven't seen a single Trump flag or Brandon reference anywhere. * And there are masks in use!

And tonight we play Utah. Life is good.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:15 am Moved into the Green Valley house on Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday was down to the short strokes, and we're still shellshocked and beat as fuck. It's good to smell the low desert and know Tucson is a short drive north. Best part though ........ LIBTARDS! There are tons of LIBTARDS on my lawn! We haven't seen a single Trump flag or Brandon reference anywhere. * And there are masks in use!

And tonight we play Utah. Life is good.
Welcome back to the neighborhood!!!!!!!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Indeed. Welcome to the good life!
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I looked back at the beginning of the Jedd Fisch thread. I was the first one on this board to make a positive comment on his hire.

Props to myself. I'm incredible.

We're not there yet, but he's done a fine job so far.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Youngest brother graduates University of Arizona today. 2pm ceremony in Centennial Hall. Earning his degree in Civil Engineering.

All the siblings are in town to celebrate, all of us also U of Arizona grads. The youngest graduating today makes four of us with bachelors degrees from Arizona.

Beardown!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:54 am Youngest brother graduates University of Arizona today. 2pm ceremony in Centennial Hall. Earning his degree in Civil Engineering.

All the siblings are in town to celebrate, all of us also U of Arizona grads. The youngest graduating today makes four of us with bachelors degrees from Arizona.

Beardown!
Did at least one of you have at least one class with Professor Longhorned?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Professor BJBJ too for that matter, now back in the UAE I believe.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Just to brag a little more - last Thursday's Engineering graduation ceremony began with a recognition of outstanding graduates. Of the roughly 150 degrees conferred across the department, my brother was one of only 5 undergraduates asked to stand for applause. We had no idea his GPA was so high or how well he was doing as a student. To think exactly ten years ago my Mom was worrying to me about him passing 8th grade any time I was on the phone with her.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Some of you may remember that my oldest son has Asperger's. Over the last year he's really come out of his shell. He got his GED after dropping out of HS after his freshman year. He's come to work with me and is now working in the machine room. Today I took him out for his first driving lesson. I need a change of underwear.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well done Greg! Takes great parenting.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Outstanding Greg. You should be a very proud Papa.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

This is great stuff Greg. This bit of great news could've only come about with your diligent and loving parenting. You definitely have alot to be proud of.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Fantastic Greg!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He's gonna wanna drive your wife's brand new car.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Thanks everybody.