Mid-life Crisis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Mid-life Crisis

Post by Longhorned »

Is that what this is? Have you had one? Plan on having one?
Daryl Zero

Re: Mid-life Crisis

Post by Daryl Zero »

I've heard its worse than just starting a new thread.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What's the definition of mid-life?

I think I blew right by mine. No sports car or second wife. Thanks to lucky genetics I haven't needed to color my hair or visit the Hair Club for Men.

Too late now I suppose. Maybe I'll have a late-life crisis to make up for it at some point.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't know, I'm 46, so past mid-life by some accounts. Maybe just a crisis of too much fucking Fighting Illini takes its toll.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If you go purely on life expectancy then your mid life crisis should happen somewhere between age 25-50
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:If you go purely on life expectancy then your mid life crisis should happen somewhere between age 25-50
I've had more than one mid-life crisis since I was 25, so maybe I'll die multiple times.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I had mine already.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Had one, but it was imposed. Taught me not to sweat the small stuff, except for recruiting.
Right where I want to be.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I'm planning a mid-death crisis.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I had my mid life crises when I was 18.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I got mine out of the way from 1969 through 1975...

... rocking chair memories, now!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think I’m having mine.

Nothing crazy, family’s good, jobs good, just shifting lately, the way I think about a ton of things, based on some experiences the last 3-6mo

It’s all good. And interesting…and good.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I’ve come to think of the midlife crisis as the rocky process of realizing that life is half over. God willing, about half over. Maybe it takes turning forty to internalize this? An age when even the most generous self-assessment must admit that youth is gone and there’s more of the past to dwell in than the future. Almost nothing achieved in your twenties is impressive to achieve past your thirties. Owning a house at twenty-five? Impressive! By forty who cares—it’s dismissively expected. Graduating law school at 25? By forty there’s no such thing as being “smart for your age” or “ahead of the game.” You might instead be fortunate to hear: “you look good for your age.” In what context would forty be considered “young?” A judge? Billionaire? Osteoporosis?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

My counterculture lifestyle in my 20's and halfway through my 30's rendered the idea of a midlife crisis obsolete...

Sex, drugs, rock-and-roll, advanced degrees, professional career and great friendships were self-rewarding enough, that measuring oneself against others' standards, or societal mores never occurred to me.

And, IMNSHO, 40 was hardly a big deal when I crossed that threshold. Honest to God, the only decade threshold that was disorienting for me was 70, as I had never even imagined that one beforehand, and only then felt like a stranger-in-a-strange land...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Part of realizing life is half over (or practically half over) is letting go of longstanding expectations that didn’t result as hoped by the time you turn thirty or forty. Marriage, children, career, home ownership, strong health, stable finances, capitalized opportunities - however you expected life to work out. And looking ahead to hopefully still achieve those missing expectations into your forties is not only a lot more unlikely but looking back at your twenties and thirties in light of not meeting those expectations, those adult decades can retroactively feel like an unaccomplished life. It’s all part of the scaling back individuals must internally work out. It’s never an immediate reset; it can take several years to quietly acclimate yourself to a manageable disappointment that at times, before adjusting, can flare into bouts of painful regret and sadness. As warned, it’s a rocky process.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Managing attachment is tricky. Attachment forms engagement and engagement founds meaning. Desire seems to initiate the process, but wanting is free and delivery is dear, and that brings us back to attachment and the potential for loss.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think my mid-life crisis is realizing I’m a super boring person. I don’t want a sports car or a motorcycle or to fuck some young bimbo.

Shouldn’t I be freaking out about my impending demise and how I’ll never again touch a firm young titty that I haven’t given a stripper a 20 for?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I've thought about this a lot and while there are a few things I wish I could of done differently when I was younger I also think about the amazing things I've done in my life:
- met a President
- beat Johnny Carson in tennis
- ran with the Bulls in Pamplona Spain
- backpacked around Europe
- attended the best school for me - UofA! and met lifelong friends (and stole a goal post that's still on 2nd & Cherry)
- shagged balls for Kareem while he was practicing his skyhook
- lived in NYC as a bachelor for 10 years (need another page for THOSE stories)
- got married to someone who would put up with my shit
- have 2 great kids
- had 2 great parents
- saved a guy's life who was choking in a restaurant

I could go on, but my point being if I got hit by a truck today (or snow plow considering the storm we had) it really hasn't been that bad a life and I really don't have that many regrets.

ECC has been a lucky man all things considered...
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

― Kinky Friedman