Congrats Professor Longhorned!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Congrats Professor Longhorned!

Post by Chicat »

Now you can contribute to the "Post Pictures of Your Kids" thread and entertain some late night feeding random thoughts.

Congrats buddy!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Re: Congrats Professor Longhorned!

Post by Longhorned »

Thank you, thank you.

I made the "Circumcise?" thread a big waste of internet space when it turned out to be a girl. :lol:

Born April 24, 6:43 PM. We named her Beatrix Ionia. She came out fully formed. Everybody I've heard and everything I read had convinced me that newborns look nothing like babies, and look instead like something midway between a digested raisin and cottage cheese mixed with tomato juice. This baby came out looking like a baby from the get go.

There was a complication during delivery that made my wife have to get wheeled to an operating room for an emergency procedure. Watching her get separated from her newborn was about the saddest thing ever. So they handed me Beatrix, and as I held her, she just looked up at me and we waited it out, sweating bullets. Took about 45 minutes and then they brought her back to recuperate, and now she's fine, and we got back from the hospital last night. But I think we bonded close over that suckitude.

Shout out to this guy...

... the physician who delivered our baby and more. Truly masterful in every way. Half made me believe I should stop watching sports and find a way to tune into to live baby deliveries. That was the most amazing work I've ever seen.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Congratulations! And she and I were born on the same day, just 35 years and 6 hours apart!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Well done man!

Who's the father?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:Congratulations! And she and I were born on the same day, just 35 years and 6 hours apart!
Oh, man! What an honor. Happy Birthday!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote: Who's the father?
Gotta be this guy:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Congrats to the new parents. The world needs great parents more then anything and I am sure you will be that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Woo hoo! Congrats mom and dad!

Hopefully this is on the way.

One of the young women I commute with named her baby Beatrix too, after Beatrix Potter. She is a librarian on campus.

They call her Bea.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Well done Mr. and Mrs. Longhorned! Any resemblance to Webster?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote: Who's the father?
Gotta be this guy:

The good news is that the kid will inherit the family milk/potato delivery business.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Congrats! Say buh-bye to sleep.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Huge congrats. Glad your wife is ok and the baby is healthy. Enjoy changing her diaper. :)
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Congrats sir! Hope you can keep up your posting and food adventures! I'll be in your shoes in a few years and it still scares the shit out of me!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Big congrats!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fuck yeah!! Congrats Longhorned!! Welcome to the best years of your life!!

(I needed some good news!!!)
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Congrats, my friend. Welcome to six months of living life on a perputual 45 minute cycle. After that things get comparatively normal!
Longhorned wrote:This baby came out looking like a baby from the get go.
It's amazing how having a newborn changes your perspective on the basic truths of life, the first of which is that all babies look like aliens. Don't worry, you'll return to normal in a few years.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Congratulations LH! That's fantastic. My first born's (23 years ago) delivery was a bit traumatic as well. I remember being freaked out, amazed and grateful for the calm, cool and collected medical staff taking care of business. Beautiful unique name too. Welcome to the Zoo Baby Bea!
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Wonderful!

Congratulations to you, Professor and Mrs. Longhorned!

And WELCOME MIss Beatrix!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:One of the young women I commute with named her baby Beatrix too, after Beatrix Potter. She is a librarian on campus.

They call her Bea.
And I would bet that 90% of girls named Beatrix will go on to become librarians. It's the circle of nerd life.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Puerco wrote:Congrats, my friend. Welcome to six months of living life on a perputual 45 minute cycle. After that things get comparatively normal!
Longhorned wrote:This baby came out looking like a baby from the get go.
It's amazing how having a newborn changes your perspective on the basic truths of life, the first of which is that all babies look like aliens. Don't worry, you'll return to normal in a few years.
For me the first 12 weeks were hell, but then parents that only have one kid at a time have it easy. Starting with twins and then having a singleton last gives one a different perspective.

Congrats Prof!! Babies are work, but it's worth it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Kids are great. Especially when they're somebody else's.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Congrats! That first month is a grind, but you will reflect on the day as the best in your life. Glad to hear mom is doing well.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Congratulations!!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Congrats LH!

You're gonna make a great dad!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks to all.

Two things people have kept telling me is that I need to say goodbye to sleep and that I won't be able to shower anymore. Are these things that happen when the kid gets a little older?

Or are they just things people say to scare new parents? Like how when I was moving to the midwest and former midwesterners told me I'd have to wake up every hour in winter to go out to my car and run the engine for 15 minutes, and have to find someplace to store my out-of-season tires.

I'm sleeping and showering as much as I ever did. How else am I supposed to do all the cooking, cleaning, shopping, errands, laundry, and yard work while my wife is a locked down milk machine?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The first 6-8 weeks the kid will sleep all the time. Enjoy it, because once the kid stops sleeping all the time, you'll stop sleeping too.

People really shouldn't say "say goodbye to sleep". They should say, "sleep as much as you can whenever you can, because it will suck if you don't."

With our first kid we were stupid and never napped and stayed up late watching TV or posting on GoAZCats. Then the kid would wake up every couple of hours when we were trying to sleep through the night and the next day we were both angry stupid zombies. With the second kid, we slept as much as humanly possible. It was world's better both for us and the kids.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Sleep when the baby sleeps, when possible. It helps keep the zombie at bay.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Have your wife breast feed full time. No pumping.

You'll sleep a whole lot better.

Our first two my wife pumped, so we could take turns getting up at night.

Last one my wife decided to breast feed as long as she could since it was our last one.

So she got up every time.

Nice.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Have your wife breast feed full time. No pumping.

You'll sleep a whole lot better.

Our first two my wife pumped, so we could take turns getting up at night.

Last one my wife decided to breast feed as long as she could since it was our last one.

So she got up every time.

Nice.
Completely agree. The pumping is just to help production, not build a supply for me to turn to in the middle of the night. If I'm sleep deprived, how am I supposed to take care of everybody's needs? Does she want me shopping, cooking, and cleaning? Or does she want me resting during the day while she tries to fuddle through all that?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My wife wasn't able to breastfeed for very long. I remember thinking, I'm working, she's not, she'll be the one getting up at night.
Yeah, the first time he woke up. After that, all bets were off.

Also, I heard about the 4:00AM feedings. What it actually means is FOUR A.M. feedings. :lol:
And getting him back to sleep, oh my goodness, was like that Cox commercial with the dad doing all the different methods.

Thank goodness my daughter would take a bottle and go back to sleep. If she had come first maybe we would have had another, but
by then we were worn out.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Late to the party here, but....congrats Longhorned (and your Mrs too obviously)!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Move to Asia. Hire live-in maid. Problem solved.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:One of the young women I commute with named her baby Beatrix too, after Beatrix Potter. She is a librarian on campus.

They call her Bea.
And I would bet that 90% of girls named Beatrix will go on to become librarians. It's the circle of nerd life.
She'll go by Trix and ... oh, never mind. Too soon.

Congrats, Mr. Longhorned. Can't wait for strained peas in the What's For Dinner thread.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:

They call her Bea.
She'll go by Trix and ... oh, never mind. Too soon.

Congrats, Mr. Longhorned. Can't wait for strained peas in the What's For Dinner thread.
I won't bother to google it, but there's got to be a pretentious chef out there who experiments with varieties of Gerber baby food in his culinary concoctions.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If you look up how to make copycat White Castle sliders at home, one of the ingredients is baby food. Strained beef I think. But not a whole lot. I left it out and my kids didn't complain, although they have never had a real White Castle slider.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Please accept my belated congrats LH! I've been meaning to wish you and your family well, as the proud dad of a little girl, i can assure you she will steal your heart if she hasn't already.

Get used to the joy of ordering "mac and cheese" and "1980's spaghetti" for the baby of course. ;)

Trust me, if you don't keep up with some form of exercise you'll quickly gain the dad 15, which is not unlike the freshman 15 or the postgrad 15 or the post wedding 15.

Thats a lot of 15's that add up. :lol:

Cheers mate.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu May 12, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SandwichGuy

Post by SandwichGuy »

Your life as you knew it is history and its amazing.

Congratulations
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks, you guys.

This thing called a Moby Wrap helps.

And if it weren't for swaddling, I doubt I could do this at all.