Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by ASUHATER! »

pokinmik wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:..OutKast? I doubt they make a list of the top 500 groups ever.

They're one of the most successful hip hop groups of all time. 40+ award nominations and 20+ wins. 25 million albums sold across a decade+. Okay if you don't like them, just say that. Acting like you're some authority for everyone else in the country with your make believe top500.
If you like them, just say that. Acting like you're some authority for everyone else in the country with your make believe idea that they are one of the very best musical groups ever.

I can do this too!
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

scumdevils86 wrote:I'm sorry but you just said Limp Bizkit is more listenable than Pink Floyd? That's like saying shag avocado carpet is preferable to original refinished oak hardwood. You're sick sir.
Yes I did. I can enjoy some Limp Bizkit songs, as mindless and dated as it is. I get nothing from Pink Floyd. I just change the channel on the radio. I also think this opinion means I got the spirit of this thread.

In the spirit of this thread, I never thought I'd see someone hating on Outkast. I don't know of any rap group that blends critical respect and crossover appeal like they do.

Finally, one more opinion. Adjusted for time, Sean Miller's Arizona tenure > Lute Olson's Arizona tenure.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

If an Outkast or LImp Bizkit song came on the radio, I would not recognize the song or band.

This thread is the first I have ever heard of Lorde.

However, I do know every Beatles song, even the rarities. Guess you would have to live through that period and the impact they had.

Pink Floyd, like Led Zep, is a great album band. Absolutely great albums, with some real stinkers in between.

For overrated bands, Aerosmith has to be at the top. When one of their songs comes on the radio, I switch stations.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I think we can all probably agree on Aerosmith

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

I love milk and early Aerosmith.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Truly is the perfect offseason thread for a bunch of Internet addicted 30-50ish whiny libtards to blow up for the next 4 months.

;)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89 wrote:I love milk and early Aerosmith.
I have not had a glass of milk since I left home in 1976 so probably even before then. Blech.

Toys in the Attic is a pretty good album, the last Aerosmith album I liked.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:If an Outkast or LImp Bizkit song came on the radio, I would not recognize the song or band.

This thread is the first I have ever heard of Lorde.

However, I do know every Beatles song, even the rarities. Guess you would have to live through that period and the impact they had.

Pink Floyd, like Led Zep, is a great album band. Absolutely great albums, with some real stinkers in between.

For overrated bands, Aerosmith has to be at the top. When one of their songs comes on the radio, I switch stations.
Really? I remember a period of 6 months where "Hey Ya" from Outkast seemed like it was on a constant loop on every radio station. I don't like Lorde, but "Royals" was everywhere for a while. It suprises me that someone would not have heard of either because those two are really, really famous songs.

Aerosmith, I don't dislike them, but other than having a few decent songs, I don't think they're anything special either.

I'm surprised no one is hating on Springsteen. I'm personally a big fan, but it seems like hating on Springsteen is chic in music discussions.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Finally, one more opinion. Adjusted for time, Sean Miller's Arizona tenure > Lute Olson's Arizona tenure.
Interesting, current or projected? Assuming current given the word "adjusted" but I'm only on my first cup of coffee.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Really? I remember a period of 6 months where "Hey Ya" from Outkast seemed like it was on a constant loop on every radio station. I don't like Lorde, but "Royals" was everywhere for a while. It suprises me that someone would not have heard of either because those two are really, really famous songs.
I have probably heard the songs, just don't know who the artist was. First time I heard Adele I thought it was Amy Winehouse. Had to ask my kids. Having 3 kids, now all grown up, have heard lot of different music over the years.

Springsteen's Darkness on the Edge of Town is one of my all time favorite albums.
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My lame first college girlfriend loved outkast, and would get down to hey yeah, so I begrudgingly accept that they are alright in my book. :D
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CalStateTempe wrote:My lame first college girlfriend loved outkast, and would get down to hey yeah, so I begrudgingly accept that they are alright in my book. :D
I think you mean alright alright alright alright alright alright alright alright in your book.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol: yes, yes I do.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Interesting, current or projected? Assuming current given the word "adjusted" but I'm only on my first cup of coffee.
Current. By adjusted, I mean trying to account for 25 years of Lute vs Miller's shorter sample size.

Hey Ya is the most well known Outkast song, but not top 50 in their best song catalog. It's worse than all songs on Aquemini except maybe one.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I understand why some don't like Springsteen, because of voice or the political nature of most of his music, but aside from that, this could never be anything more than preference. If you shit on his music as lame or bad, you're just a fucking idiot.

Nebraska is about as far flung as a sound can get from an introductory album, and yet it and Greetings are both incredible. For my money, while grossly underappreciated, Greetings is top-10 first albums ever made.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I figure this will be popular and not unpopular, but I can't stand Adele.

And I really like bands with female leads or strong female solo artists. I think all her songs are boring as shit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

JMarkJohns wrote:I figure this will be popular and not unpopular, but I can't stand Adele.

And I really like bands with female leads or strong female solo artists. I think all her songs are boring as shit.
Agree about Adele.

I like Heart better as a cover band than doing their own music.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:I understand why some don't like Springsteen, because of voice or the political nature of most of his music, but aside from that, this could never be anything more than preference. If you shit on his music as lame or bad, you're just a fucking idiot.

Nebraska is about as far flung as a sound can get from an introductory album, and yet it and Greetings are both incredible. For my money, while grossly underappreciated, Greetings is top-10 first albums ever made.
I totally agree. It seems like Springsteen gets a lot of people deriding him in some online commentary that I've seen. I just don't understand it. He's a fantastic live performer and his music has been varied and evolved well over time. Almost 4 decades in, he put out The Rising, which is an outstanding album for a veteran artist.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I understand why some don't like Springsteen, because of voice or the political nature of most of his music, but aside from that, this could never be anything more than preference. If you shit on his music as lame or bad, you're just a fucking idiot.

I totally agree. It seems like Springsteen gets a lot of people deriding him in some online commentary that I've seen. I just don't understand it. He's a fantastic live performer and his music has been varied and evolved well over time. Almost 4 decades in, he put out The Rising, which is an outstanding album for a veteran artist.
I like that he's unafraid to put out an entire album free of commercial appeal for the actual art of it. Ghost of Tom Joad has almost nothing of value for top-40 radio, but is incredible in its own right.

Plus, I've always appreciated his voice for the working man... a real voice talking about real problems. And sung about in a not-country-western way, where it sounds like actual life, not caricature of life.

My dad took me when I was about 10, and took my sister last year.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Back to unpopular...

I really don't think Joss Whedon is good. He's schlock is mostly uninteresting, straightforward and overly simplistic, and most of his characters lack nuance.

I enjoyed Firefly, but the concept was more interesting than the show itself, Buffy and those shows were eye candy and little else, and I had a friend in High School who loved those series so I watched them enough. Avengers is the weakest series besides maybe Thor's of the Marvel universe. Alien Resurrection mostly sucked, and even his high brow attempt at modernizing Shakespeare was boring.

While I admit I can see his appeal, I think he mostly sucks.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ASUHATER! wrote:
pokinmik wrote:

They're one of the most successful hip hop groups of all time. 40+ award nominations and 20+ wins. 25 million albums sold across a decade+. Okay if you don't like them, just say that. Acting like you're some authority for everyone else in the country with your make believe top500.
If you like them, just say that. Acting like you're some authority for everyone else in the country with your make believe idea that they are one of the very best musical groups ever.

I can do this too!
Not the same at all. I posted facts about how successful Outkast is and was. I didn't share an opinion whatsoever, whereas you did by implying they suck and wouldn't make an objective top500. I do like outkast but not anymore than a hundred other bands. I don't even care about music that much. Only chimed in because your hot takes as an 'authority' figure are annoying to probably most everyone.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

In 2011 VH1 and its survey listed Outkast as the 95th best band of all time,

So, top-100 by a music industry survey based list.

Rolling Stone listed them as the 7th Best Duo Of All Time.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

pokinmik wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
pokinmik wrote:

I can do this too!
Not the same at all. I posted facts about how successful Outkast is and was. I didn't share an opinion whatsoever, whereas you did by implying they suck and wouldn't make an objective top500. I do like outkast but not anymore than a hundred other bands. I don't even care about music that much. Only chimed in because your hot takes as an 'authority' figure are annoying to probably most everyone.
I'm honored that you think of me as an authority figure since I certainly don't consider myself to be that. I'm just a guy on a message board with an opinion. And so are you. We have different opinions. It's ok. I promise.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like cats.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like Miracle Whip more than I like mayonnaise.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Cant be serious right? Old Outkast is as good of Hip-hop as there was in the 90's. Still behind Tupac and Biggie, but Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik alone puts them top 100 IMO.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote:I like Miracle Whip more than I like mayonnaise.
heathen
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i put dried dill, lots of mustard and sriracha in my tuna salad.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Cant be serious right? Old Outkast is as good of Hip-hop as there was in the 90's. Still behind Tupac and Biggie, but Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik alone puts them top 100 IMO.
90's Outkast was more consistent than Pac or Big, IMO. I woul probably put Pac or Big above Outkast, but Southernplayalistic... through Stankonia was an incredibly strong run of albums.

Andre 3000 is probably generally regarded as a top 10 MC all time as well, and that without an actual rap album since Stankonia. Since we're discussing 3000, this is probably an unpopular/unheralded opinion, but his verse on International Player's Anthem is the best guest verse of all time. For me, that category isn't really close. He embarasses UGK and Big Boi on that song, and they are HOF level talent.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Asu hater is calling out someone for acting like an authority on something? Priceless
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Gronk is dead to me...
I'd like to think he doesn't follow current events, but there's a contested discussion about it on the Patriots, so not likely he isn't aware of the question "to be or not to be."
Wow. Can't support anyone who doesn't supper your viewpoints?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't like gronk because I don't idolize immature meatheads.

Would've been nice if he played more then like 3 games here before "throwing out his back" after banging some chick and bolting to the league.

Also he only came here cause we'd play little bro.

Yeah, I'm not a gronk fan.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:Asu hater is calling out someone for acting like an authority on something? Priceless
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't like gronk because I don't idolize immature meatheads.

Would've been nice if he played more then like 3 games here before "throwing out his back" after banging some chick and bolting to the league.

Also he only came here cause we'd play little bro.

Yeah, I'm not a gronk fan.
If you dont like you dont like him but Chris is older and I really dont think he was making up his injury. Probably could have come back sooner but played it safe. I do think he is really smart and just plays dumb. Like Rizzo for the Cubs although Rizzo is PG or PG-13 while Gronk is R or X.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Not what I heard through the grapevine at the time. I know I'm still just some dude on the internet believ what you want.

Thanks for the correction regarding Chris.

I still find everything gronk does on and off the field incredibly annoying.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Maybe he is dumb but it is incredibly smart that he hasnt touched his NFL money
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:Maybe he is dumb but it is incredibly smart that he hasnt touched his NFL money
Still doesn't change my opinion that he's AAF.

Also never said he was dumb, just an immature meathead.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I know a guy at my work that's basically like a Gronk clone. He's super nice but good lord he gets on everyone's nerves. And he keeps getting promoted somehow.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Theater hotdogs rock.
Becker & Fagen > Lennon & McCartney
Whisky > Whiskey
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Parker Jackson-Cartwright sucks
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sean Miller isnt an elite coach. I don't condone firing him because Arizona couldn't do better/Arizona isn't a top tier job.

Miller at Arizona is and will be Mark Richt at Georgia.

Don't @ me.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

NYCat wrote:Sean Miller isnt an elite coach. I don't condone firing him because Arizona couldn't do better/Arizona isn't a top tier job.

Don't @ me.
I think there's untapped upside, but it's going to take figuring himself out. Is he someone willing and capable of adapting slightly Season to season, roster to roster, or is he someone who must have specific types of players, coach em up, and develop a systemic identity?

Early he was the latter and he hit a hard to take ceiling, and now he's someone the former, but isn't adapting enough or has too many wrong/unideal players.

Miller hasn't been great at Arizona yet, in the big picture conversation, but impatience kills more upside than inability.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

IPAs are disgusting
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PHXCATS wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Gronk is dead to me...
I'd like to think he doesn't follow current events, but there's a contested discussion about it on the Patriots, so not likely he isn't aware of the question "to be or not to be."
Wow. Can't support anyone who doesn't supper your viewpoints?
You say some funny things.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:I like cats.
I have a friend who doesn't but said, "Maybe cats will grow on me." Now they're growing out of his pectorals.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Sean Miller isnt an elite coach. I don't condone firing him because Arizona couldn't do better/Arizona isn't a top tier job.

Don't @ me.
I thought this was for unpopular opinions, not factually disprovable opinions.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Don't @ me.
To me elite is on the eye of the beholder so yeah it is an opinion. And to me regular season titles is a factor in what makes a coach elite but so does final fours and titles.

I would agree with NY. Miller is very good but needs that final four/title to become elite.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller has the potential to be elite,heck its in his grasp, if he can figure a few more things out and evolve more flexibility into his coauching style and in game management (Is, TO mgmt). But not there, yet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Don't @ me.
To me elite is on the eye of the beholder so yeah it is an opinion. And to me regular season titles is a factor in what makes a coach elite but so does final fours and titles.

I would agree with NY. Miller is very good but needs that final four/title to become elite.
Eh, NY went way further than that with the Richt comparison. Richt got fired last year. I stick with that being straight up wrong.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Don't @ me.

Eh, NY went way further than that with the Richt comparison. Richt got fired last year. I stick with that being straight up wrong.
If Miller does not get to a final four in the next 7 years I would support firing him