Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Is it just me, or is Dodgeball a one of the greatest classics of cinema?
There are certain comedies that I can rewatch constantly. Dodgeball is on that list, along with Dumb and Dumber and Talladega Nights. It's never a bad time to watch those movies.
+ No Country For Old Men
I went through a period of rewatching parts No Country for Old Men every day at lunchtime while eating a sandwich. I've determined that the movie is inexhaustible. And yet some people I know and respect can't get through even one viewing because they find it "disturbing." So maybe it's a movie for those of us who are already too fully disturbed to be disturbed any further.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Is it just me, or is Dodgeball a one of the greatest classics of cinema?
There are certain comedies that I can rewatch constantly. Dodgeball is on that list, along with Dumb and Dumber and Talladega Nights. It's never a bad time to watch those movies.
+ No Country For Old Men
I went through a period of rewatching parts No Country for Old Men every day at lunchtime while eating a sandwich. I've determined that the movie is inexhaustible. And yet some people I know and respect can't get through even one viewing because they find it "disturbing." So maybe it's a movie for those of us who are already too fully disturbed to be disturbed any further.
I just didn't think it was as funny as Dumb and Dumber or Dodgeball. It made me chuckle, but not a lot of laugh out loud moments.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I like ketchup on my hot dogs.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
+ No Country For Old Men
I just didn't think it was as funny as Dumb and Dumber or Dodgeball. It made me chuckle, but not a lot of laugh out loud moments.
Not even when he does self-surgery on a life-threatening wound in the motel?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:I like ketchup on my hot dogs.
That's just civilized. I'm convinced that people who don't include it do so as an affectation, as though it were too midwestern and too childish. Whereas every adult in Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland puts both mustard and ketchup on their wursts. Unless you've got a sweet relish, a hot dog without the vinegary sweetness of ketchup is a dry, salty, garlic-burp of faux-enjoyment for the kind of people who can't decide between Billy Joel and Eddie Money.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Me too. My wife rejects this, but I tell her that this is America.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I like my hot dogs in the package...at the grocery store. Waiting for someone else to buy them. I also reject Apple Pie, think Chevrolet sucks, and sometimes, my mom can bug the shit out of me. So, yeah...

If I have a brat or a sweet Italian sausage, then it is kraut, mustard, and peppers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Costco dogs + mustard + onions + kraut
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
+ No Country For Old Men
I think I wanted to like it so much that it disappointed. Well-executed. Well-acted. Same with "There Will Be Blood." The bad guys are fantastic, but ... what was the point again?
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Costco dogs + mustard + onions + kraut
Yeah, baby!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

My turn:

I do not like Led Zeppelin. Yeah, I hum along with a couple of songs. But I really do not like the banshee wailing or the guitar solos to nowhere.

I also do not like Radiohead. Humorless droning. Musically talented? Again, yeah...sure. But that doesn't make it listenable.

In the more obscure category, I love Black Flag but not with Henry Rollins singing. I like Henry. But not as a singer. Give me the first 2 years of the first 4 years any day (Keith, Ron, Dez)....
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Radiohead supposed to have humor?

It's like wanting to watch a comedy and choosing no country for old men.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Radiohead live is amazing. I don't even like concerts. That one I stood in the rain for. Ended up with a horrible cold in July.

Also, Air might be considered droning if you haven't seen them live. Completely different if you have. Like Radiohead live, kind of amazing, actually.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spicy brown mustard and grilled onions are the only 2 things that ever really need to go on a hot dog.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

NYCat wrote:Radiohead supposed to have humor?

It's like wanting to watch a comedy and choosing no country for old men.
All living beings have some humor. They seem to lack the capacity to find the fun in what they do at an extreme that is not in line with the times.

I never said I was seeking Weird Al in their music. Just some humanity. They could be robots for all I can gather

To put in context, I like hardcore punk and live albums over studio albums. I like seeing mistakes, hearing the finger move on the fretboard, hearing Larry Mullen, Jr say "shit" when he counts in too early on Unforgettable Fire...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

this almost means we cant be friends.....almost.

but, you're easily one of my favorite posters on this board so i will give you a pass -- lets just never talk of this again.

ummmmmk????
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats wrote:
this almost means we cant be friends.....almost.

but, you're easily one of my favorite posters on this board so i will give you a pass -- lets just never talk of this again.

ummmmmk????
What about bratwurst?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azgreg wrote: What about bratwurst?
ketchup on a Brat?

kill me right fucking now!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:Spicy brown mustard and grilled onions are the only 2 things that ever really need to go on a hot dog.
This we can agree on hater.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The problem with Bratwurst isn't the condiments. It's that nobody knows how to cook them. Condiments can't save you from that.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:The problem with Bratwurst isn't the condiments. It's that nobody knows how to cook them. Condiments can't save you from that.

I boil them in beer then grill them.

If that is wrong, I don't want to be right
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EVCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:The problem with Bratwurst isn't the condiments. It's that nobody knows how to cook them. Condiments can't save you from that.

That's right but if you boil them past a 150 degree internal temperature before you grill them, I'm only eating one to be polite, and any and all condiments that help lubricate that choker, I'm going to squirt on it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats wrote:
azgreg wrote: What about bratwurst?
ketchup on a Brat?

kill me right fucking now!
:lol: :lol: no.

Remember you turned me on to Wurstkuche. Got the brats with spicy mustard and a double serving of sweet peppers. Fantastic.
gumby

Post by gumby »

EVCat wrote:My turn:

I do not like Led Zeppelin. Yeah, I hum along with a couple of songs. But I really do not like the banshee wailing or the guitar solos to nowhere.

I also do not like Radiohead. Humorless droning. Musically talented? Again, yeah...sure. But that doesn't make it listenable.

In the more obscure category, I love Black Flag but not with Henry Rollins singing. I like Henry. But not as a singer. Give me the first 2 years of the first 4 years any day (Keith, Ron, Dez)....
I got my Radiohead handed to me here. Feel the same about Pink Floyd. Guess I'm just not alienated.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:
EVCat wrote:

That's right but if you boil them past a 150 degree internal temperature before you grill them, I'm only eating one to be polite, and any and all condiments that help lubricate that choker, I'm going to squirt on it.
I don't check temps, but I get what you are saying...I am boiling to get the flavor, not to completely cook them before the grill
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

EVCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
EVCat wrote:

I don't check temps, but I get what you are saying...I am boiling to get the flavor, not to completely cook them before the grill
I get just a gentle simmer going in a good beer before the grill. Usually, money.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup gentle simmer in beer, onion, honey, mustard, caraway and some chili flakes and finish them with a sear on the grill
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89 wrote: I get just a gentle simmer going in a good beer before the grill. Usually, money.
Bills or coins?

Don't waste good beer simmering! Buy the cheap stuff.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Cooking brats on the grill overcooks the outside by the time the middle is cooked, drying out the whole thing. Per Kenji, poach them gently in the beer until the measures measures 150 degrees, and then quickly sear the outside on the grill. Perfectly cooked.

And like Merk said, use cheap beer.
Last edited by Longhorned on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

High life all the way for my brats
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

IMHO, during boiling and grilling the key is not to puncture the skin of the brat. As long as the juice doesn't squirt out it's good. Pretty much fool proof.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Cooking brats on the grill overcooks the outside by the time the middle is cooked, drying out the whole thing. Per Kenji, poach them gently in the beer until the measures measures 150 degrees, and then quickly sear the outside on the grill. Perfectly cooked.

About 40 seconds in the microwave does the job.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Cooking brats on the grill overcooks the outside by the time the middle is cooked, drying out the whole thing. Per Kenji, poach them gently in the beer until the measures measures 150 degrees, and then quickly sear the outside on the grill. Perfectly cooked.

I used to be for farm to table. Now I'm all about microwave to mouth.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:

I used to be for farm to table. Now I'm all about microwave to mouth.
Over the sink is where men eat.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
+ No Country For Old Men
Thank you for such a splendid one word description. It is as inexhaustible as the archetypes upon which the story is built. I urge you to read Cormac McCarthy's magnificent book in which its archetypes are orders of magnitude more profound than the excellent film. A common McCarthy theme is the 'redemptive power of violence' and while it may be visually disturbing on film the author delivers it within a Kierkegaardian context in a spare style very similar to Norman Maclean. It is by no means disturbing. Violence exposes the fact that human existence is bimodal: both and act and a state often in opposition. People miss out on the deep integrity of Anton Chigurh if they don't read the book. He doesn't defeat Sheriff Bell because he is simply a violent fuck willing to kill at the drop of a hat. Sheriff Bell, who abandons his entire code-of-life in order to divert the violent accounting of Chigurh, places his state above his act: he capitulates and survives, but suffers a deep inward dislocation. By contrast, Llewellyn Moss refuses to surrender himself and is slaughtered. Read it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Beer is disgusting. Both as a drink and as a cooking ingredient.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

We're no longer friends...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Beer is disgusting. Both as a drink and as a cooking ingredient.
Then you haven't really tried beer haha. When I was younger and college age(this is still before the big craft beer boom) I refused to drink beer and thought it was disgusting. But once the options started opening up and a lot more kinds were available I decided to give it a shot. I went in thinking all beer was like Corona or bud light or Natty ice. I was immediately proven wrong and haven't looked back. beer is life.

97cats

Post by 97cats »

modern widespread lacrosse is the lamest
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gluten free is a ridiculous fad.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Gluten free is a ridiculous fad.
What's astonishing is how unaware people of that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

A fad I wish I invested in
KOQSTRONG

Post by KOQSTRONG »

Afuckingmen. This is probably my biggest pet peeve from customers at my restaurant. Unless you have Celiac Disease, don't ask me if we have gluten free pizza dough. Unfortunately we have to accommodate customers into this fad right now so we have a few gluten free options.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I want to know how Celiac disease became so easily transmissible that it had a several thousand percent increase in cases in the last decade.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are having my wife's best friend coming over today so the kids, both girls 2 mo apart in age can play. She's one of these nutrition as medicine people and has a crazy particular diet, the gluten free thing being the least of issues. Whatever people want to do it fine by me, but she went and got a nutrition masters for which the only appreciable use is to pontificate to others what they should be eating and to attempt to sell us 70 dollar chia seeds/meal from some pyramid scheme. Aside from that, she's a great person.

So we are having her family over which is a great excuse to BBQ. Previously we've done steaks and fish and chicken and all sorts smoked meats, but today didn't want to go through the fuss. So hamburgers it is. Go to Walmart for the majority of stuff, Whole Foods for our friends diet (she does not have celiacs disease). The gluten free hamburger buns, I swear to you, are hard as rocks. Fortunately the potato chips we like (kettle brand) are already GF.

To top it off, she swears her child is lactose intolerant. So I had to find rice milk chocolate bars for her daughters treasure hunt gift bag.

Sometimes I do wish I was born in southeast and South Asia from a culinary perspective. Better, tastier, more varied food and less of these ridiculous "first world" diets.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ASUHATER! wrote:I want to know how Celiac disease became so easily transmissible that it had a several thousand percent increase in cases in the last decade.
Mass marketing, enabling doctors, and people trying to "take health into their own hands" (which I am not opposed to mind you, I WANT people to be proactive with their health)

Back in 2005, in my GI course, the professor railed on GF, it was hilarious. Equally hilarious was how he described when he was in sabbatical in Sweden how he said he believed in it so he could date Swedish women. :lol:

But to your point, it is not transmissible, it is an allergy, based on a variant some people have in their HLA genes, genes that regulate the immune system. Typically found in Scandinavian and Northern European populations. There was a blood test to confirm the diagnosis, but many physicians will bucket symptoms they can't explain otherwise as "gluten sensitivity" (which from a medical perspective is jargony handwaving, IMO)

Then people go online, read a ton from other people in circular group think and proceed to spend enormous amounts of money on consumable cardboard.

I don't get it.

Btw I'm a not a food nazi, i married a vegetarian.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I know it isn't transmissible, just was being facetious

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Golf isn't really a sport.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Neither is horse racing, gymnastics or weight lifting. They are athletic events, but not sports. A sport is where score is kept and you compete directly against other people.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Auto racing?