Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dave Grohl is objectively better than Kurt Cobain.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Better at what? Still being alive? I’d have to concede that one…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:21 pm
CalStateTempe wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:47 am So happy my oldest is giving up soccer this fall and going all in on ballet.

I’ve helped out in a few shows back stage, those teenagers and the profession dancers that participate in the shows are freaking athletes. I just needed to see them with core strength and all the stuff they do in stage then coming back stages huffing as if they just ran 40m sprints. It’s amazingly impressive.
I get what you're saying, but since this is the unpopular opinions thread, I hate how everyone appeals to my sense of appreciation of athletics to persuade me to enjoy ballet, and yet would never deign to attend or watch an NBA game. Actually, I don't hate that. What I hate is their sense of being justified that I should watch ballet but they shouldn't watch basketball.

I used to have season tickets to the Krannert. I think ballet is amazing. Duh. But when I've tried to engage friends and family in a big game that's on, they won't even look at it. I thought they were supposed to appreciate the ballet of basketball. Apparently that's just rhetoric for the uncouth.
You are witnessing how cultural sophistication is hypergamous when it comes to sports. If you had a thing for jai alai it'd be different. They're not going to pair-bond with a sport below their cultural market value.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:42 pm Better at what? Still being alive? I’d have to concede that one…
As a musician. I mean, being alive does help with that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:52 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:42 pm Better at what? Still being alive? I’d have to concede that one…
Feels like Grohl had the opportunity to evolve. A lot of early Foo is kind of silly songwriting, and by his own admission when he was with Nirvana he was just copying other drummers from the 70s and 80s.

So sure, Grohl now is better than Cobain then. Chicat now is also better than Chicat then.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:31 pm
Feels like Grohl had the opportunity to evolve. A lot of early Foo is kind of silly songwriting, and by his own admission when he was with Nirvana he was just copying other drummers from the 70s and 80s.

So sure, Grohl now is better than Cobain then. Chicat now is also better than Chicat then.
Grohl successfully evolved to be both a drummer in a genre-defining band, then frontman for a rock band with a significantly different style that's churned out good content for 20+ years.

Both are rare feats and I'm not sure anyone has pulled off a genre and position switch like that. Cobain...well, when you leave a lot of your career speculative, it has to count against you at some point.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

People talk about the legend that's Kurt Cobain, but the tragic early death that shocked the most was to an actor named River Phoenix. In dying young, he was supposed to become the next James Dean.

Kurt Cobain was just the Gen-X favorite who surpassed Anthony Kiedis. And the universally recognized greatest musician of the time was Debbie Gibson.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:57 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:31 pm

Grohl successfully evolved to be both a drummer in a genre-defining band, then frontman for a rock band with a significantly different style that's churned out good content for 20+ years.

Both are rare feats and I'm not sure anyone has pulled off a genre and position switch like that. Cobain...well, when you leave a lot of your career speculative, it has to count against you at some point.
This feels like a Van Gogh vs Picasso argument.

For the record, I find what Nirvana put out to be infinitely more interesting than anything Foo Fighters did.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

^^^ What Chi said.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not a fan of Nirvana until they did the MTV unplugged concert, which did include the Foo Fighter's guitarist.

Still not a fan of the Foo Fighters. Just not my style of music, so not sure if it's good or bad.

Kurt Cobain though has a lot more charisma and presence than David Grohl. Can't comment on their musicianship, although like has been said:

Who is that guy with those musicians?
The drummer.

Glad to see he is a musician after all.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

I'm evidently not as attached to my pets as my neighbor who is going into year two of spending $12k/year on leukemia treatments (outside of insurance costs) to prolong the life of her elderly cat. In other words, for as much as I love my cat and dog, if their vet gives me a costly, likely fatal diagnosis my care toward them will shift to an attitude of hospice care rather than spending over $10k/year to keep them alive. Love your pets as much as you may, but the life of animals don't carry the moral imperative as the life of a fellow human family member might.

My own pets might strangely agree with me on this because, on the flipside, they know if I die in my apartment and there is no one to feed them for a few weeks, they are more than welcome to consume my body for sustenance. Although my scheming cat is much more in agreement with this idea than my pensive dog.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I agree completely. And I have had dogs my whole life and love them so much. I would never put them through rounds of painful and expensive treatment.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

When I was younger one of our cats got shot. We took her to a 24 hour vet and it was going to cost $1000 for a less than 50% chance to live. She would also lose a leg. The vet was like I probably wouldn't do it. We agreed and had her put down. We all die eventually, some earlier than others
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My dogs have not been to the vet in the 7 or 8 years I have had them.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:20 am My dogs have not been to the vet in the 7 or 8 years I have had them.
Not for shots or anything?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:26 am
Merkin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:20 am My dogs have not been to the vet in the 7 or 8 years I have had them.
Not for shots or anything?
I take them to the animal shelter for reduced fee shots, rabies, parvo and whatever else.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I wish my dog's vet was my doctor.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:19 am
My own pets might strangely agree with me on this because, on the flipside, they know if I die in my apartment and there is no one to feed them for a few weeks, they are more than welcome to consume my body for sustenance.
No. They agree with you on that because they're so stupid, they themselves would forgo the medical treatment because they can't connect shots and surgery and stuff like that with any potentially positive outcome.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:19 am My own pets might strangely agree with me on this because, on the flipside, they know if I die in my apartment and there is no one to feed them for a few weeks, they are more than welcome to consume my body for sustenance. Although my scheming cat is much more in agreement with this idea than my pensive dog.

https://www.iflscience.com/cats-caught- ... 7uxR6UgdHw

Longhorned wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:25 pm No. They agree with you on that because they're so stupid, they themselves would forgo the medical treatment because they can't connect shots and surgery and stuff like that with any potentially positive outcome.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

"Yes, your pets will eat you when you die, and perhaps a bit sooner than is comfortable," forensic anthropologist Carolyn Rando told Buzzfeed News in a 2015 story on animals eating their owners, implying that these jerks aren't even that hungry.

"They tend to go for the neck, face, and any exposed areas first, and then, if not discovered in time, they may proceed to eat the rest of you."

Which might explain why the other week, after napping on my laundry pile, my cat dug his claws into the only turtle neck sweater I own(ed). The schemer is already sizing me up for an emergency meal, starting with my neck.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:07 pm
Which might explain why the other week, after napping on my laundry pile, my cat dug his claws into the only turtle neck sweater I own(ed). The schemer is already sizing me up for an emergency meal, starting with my neck.
Told my Dad that if while delivering my eulogy at my funeral he is interrupted by my cat leaping from my coffin and scurrying away with anything in his jaws, just look at the audience and say “This is what he would’ve wanted.”
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Fuck Bobby Flay!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Life would be a million times better if onions ceased to exist.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:14 am Life would be a million times better if onions ceased to exist.
Years ago my wife suddenly developed an allergy to onions (weirdly it went away just as fast at some point).

We were amazed reading labels how many different products have onions in them.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:31 pm Fuck Bobby Flay!
Show me on the doll where Bobby Flay touched you.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:14 am Life would be a million times better if onions ceased to exist.
This thread is for UNPOPULAR opinions. Not WRONG opinions.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Food isn't food without onions in it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I got selected to be on a jury starting on Monday. Criminal case.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I love onions every way you can make em. A big slab of raw onion on a burger, grilled, roasted, fried, pickled, caramelized, braised, boiled. Doesn't matter. I put an obscene amount of onions on my hot dogs too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:28 pm I put an obscene amount of onions on my hot dogs too.
Miss this at Costco. The relish one too.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Onions are awesome, obviously.

So is garlic, but the problem is the North American obsession with garlic. Unlike onions, which you can never have enough of, too much garlic ruins anything. And when that happens, people act happy because they're so used to the idea that you're supposed to like too much garlic.

This white woman from the east coast recently published a "Taste of Tucson" book, in which all the recipes add so much raw garlic that they taste like New Jersey, not Tucson.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I double or triple however much garlic any recipe calls for

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I do find garlic pretty effective in keeping gophers away from my yard while being safe for my dogs.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Heavy garlic on pizza is good.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What makes Bubbies naturally-fermented Kosher Dill Pickles so special? It’s an artistic balance of both our special spice blend and the science of fermentation that gives our salt brine pickles their signature taste and crunch!

Never buy "spears" or halves. A truly crisp and crunchy cold-brined pickle has to be whole.

The worst dill pickles I've ever had are Bubbies.

Nathan's are good, and an enormous step up from Bubbies.

Of course, a real dill pickle out of a barrel is the way to go. Short of that, you can buy Grillo's.

But the best dill pickles in the world are Claussen's. Really crisp, snappy, and with a perfect taste. You have to make your way to a supermarket for those, though.

Bubbies are the most expensive dill pickles, and they're sold in the fanciest stores. And I used to keep buying them out of some sense of obligation to show my refined taste to myself. The problem is that they're soft and slimy, the brine is disturbingly opaque, and they literally taste like shit. A jar of Bubbies is like someone didn't flush the toilet.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Costco now has Grillo's!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:28 pm I love onions every way you can make em. A big slab of raw onion on a burger, grilled, roasted, fried, pickled, caramelized, braised, boiled. Doesn't matter. I put an obscene amount of onions on my hot dogs too.
You put the onion on the skin.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat is Q.

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

My dad used to make dill pickles (not Kosher though).

Then one time he left the crock next to the furnace in the basement and forgot about it.

It exploded.

My mother decided that dad's dill pickling days were over.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:16 pm Chicat is Q.
I thought he was Keyser Söze.
-JB
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:01 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:16 pm Chicat is Q.
I thought he was Keyser Söze.
.... and like that he's gone ....

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Comics/Comic Books are an inferior entertainment medium compared to Film/Animation and Novels.

Comic dialogue and exposé is shallow compared to the writing a novel can accomplish.

Comic imagery and illustration is inferior to what film and animation can bring more vividly to life on screen.

Both limitations come across as comparatively one-dimensional, and adding them together into a single medium doesn't make up for falling short of film/animation and novels.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicken shouldn't be a pizza topping
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatsbyAZ wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:37 am Chicken shouldn't be a pizza topping
With red onions and BBQ sauce and jalapeños yes it should be. And yes with bacon, ranch and onions.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just had chicken in a Papa Murphy's stuffed chicken bacon pizza 3 nights ago. It was delicious.