Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by Longhorned »

Football is a sport, but it's mostly just a curious oddity, and vastly overrated in the U.S.

With all of football's overly complicated specialization of positions, the bizarre padding and protection, and complete lack of visual poetry let alone actual play action, there's only a single game rule that carries the remotest whiff of anything redeemable as a basis for competition: the option to kick instead of turning over possession at the line of play. If it weren't for that one rule, which really doesn't bring that much interest to the game, nobody would watch more than 10 minutes of football in their lifetime.

That football overtook baseball, and neither basketball, soccer, track & field, boxing and other fighting, nor even dodgeball nor kickball never surpassed it, is just one of those things that underscores that something is wrong with this country.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I love soccer.

I even like watching it more than football.

LH is on to something...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Neither is horse racing, gymnastics or weight lifting. They are athletic events, but not sports. A sport is where score is kept and you compete directly against other people.
I'd disagree a bit. There are some "sports" that are really just tests of skill. Golf, Darts, Bowling and Pool are some examples. They are skill based and require little to no athletic ability.

There are other "sports" where the participant doesn't do the work, i.e., auto racing and horse racing.

There might be a separate category for judged aports, but judgment calls affect all sports. Reffing in basketball and football changes things, and ball/strike calls in baseball define games.

A true sport is a combined test of athletic ability and skill. Basketball requires running/jumping along with shooting skill, dribbling, etc. Weightlifting and gymnastics, heck, I'll stand up for them as requiring a lot of technical skill. Just being strong or fast doesn't get you very far.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: There might be a separate category for judged sports, but judgment calls affect all sports. Reffing in basketball and football changes things, and ball/strike calls in baseball define games.
It's not the same, though. In officiated sports, players compete directly against one another while having a chance to adjust to the calls made. In judged "sports", the person goes out there and does his little dance while silently watched by the panel, whose single and final judgement after the fact becomes a number that competes with the other the other post-dance judgments. The athletes aren't directly competing against one another. That's just one rung lower on the human element than something like basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: There might be a separate category for judged sports, but judgment calls affect all sports. Reffing in basketball and football changes things, and ball/strike calls in baseball define games.
It's not the same, though. In officiated sports, players compete directly against one another while having a chance to adjust to the calls made. In judged "sports", the person goes out there and does his little dance while silently watched by the panel, whose single and final judgement after the fact becomes a number that competes with the other the other post-dance judgments. The athletes aren't directly competing against one another. That's just one rung lower on the human element than something like basketball.
It's not the same, but I hesitate to say that disqualifies in the same way I talk about with golf. The judging element is just the scoring system, but when a ref blows a call and gives free throws without contact, that plays a scoring role as well.

I don't doubt that it's different. I go back and forth about how fully significant that difference is.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Listen to this 28-second clip by Tommy Lasorda on golf. Best take on golf ever, and why golf isn't a sport:

https://www.stucknut.com/takebox/?id=18b" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Longhorned wrote:Football is a sport, but it's mostly just a curious oddity, and vastly overrated in the U.S.

With all of football's overly complicated specialization of positions, the bizarre padding and protection, and complete lack of visual poetry let alone actual play action, there's only a single game rule that carries the remotest whiff of anything redeemable as a basis for competition: the option to kick instead of turning over possession at the line of play. If it weren't for that one rule, which really doesn't bring that much interest to the game, nobody would watch more than 10 minutes of football in their lifetime.

That football overtook baseball, and neither basketball, soccer, track & field, boxing and other fighting, nor even dodgeball nor kickball never surpassed it, is just one of those things that underscores that something is wrong with this country.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

KOQSTRONG wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Gluten free is a ridiculous fad.
Afuckingmen. This is probably my biggest pet peeve from customers at my restaurant. Unless you have Celiac Disease, don't ask me if we have gluten free pizza dough. Unfortunately we have to accommodate customers into this fad right now so we have a few gluten free options.
A friend who has Celiac's agrees. Bemused by people who would forgo it when they don't have to, because that option tastes worse. I had some leftover bread from her visit. Bleh.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
KOQSTRONG wrote:
Afuckingmen. This is probably my biggest pet peeve from customers at my restaurant. Unless you have Celiac Disease, don't ask me if we have gluten free pizza dough. Unfortunately we have to accommodate customers into this fad right now so we have a few gluten free options.
A friend who has Celiac's agrees. Bemused by people who would forgo it when they don't have to, because that option tastes worse. I had some leftover bread from her visit. Bleh.
You probably just needed to make it into French toast with some of that gluten-free maple syrup I saw in the store yesterday.

They've found a way to make gluten-free products that never had gluten in the first place.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Neither is horse racing, gymnastics or weight lifting. They are athletic events, but not sports. A sport is where score is kept and you compete directly against other people.
I'd disagree a bit. There are some "sports" that are really just tests of skill. Golf, Darts, Bowling and Pool are some examples. They are skill based and require little to no athletic ability.

There are other "sports" where the participant doesn't do the work, i.e., auto racing and horse racing.

There might be a separate category for judged aports, but judgment calls affect all sports. Reffing in basketball and football changes things, and ball/strike calls in baseball define games.

A true sport is a combined test of athletic ability and skill. Basketball requires running/jumping along with shooting skill, dribbling, etc. Weightlifting and gymnastics, heck, I'll stand up for them as requiring a lot of technical skill. Just being strong or fast doesn't get you very far.
You don't see the difference between golf and darts/bowling/pool? I think having to traverse a course four days straight in the heat, all while hitting entirely unique shots from different stances each time out sets it apart.

Golf is closer to baseball than bowling. Baseball you swing a bat just like swinging a golf club. Baseball is all mental, besides making a play or two and running the bases once or twice over three and a half hours.

Basketball and football are easily the epitome of sport with what each entail athletically, skill wise, and endurance wise. But you can't judge every other possible sport against the two epitomes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't watch any baseball, and outside of the UA don't watch football. No soccer, tennis, golf, hockey, NASCAR or any other sport either.

Last edited by Merkin on Mon May 01, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

JMarkJohns wrote:If you can do it while drinking or drunk, it's not a sport.
If outcome is decided by only judging, it's not a sport.
If you remain seated entirety of event, it's not a sport.
All you talking what is and isn't a sport need to re-read my ignored opinion! Haha
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Don't watch any baseball, and outside of the UA don't watch football. No soccer, tennis, golf, hockey, NASCAR or any other sport either.

Here's the thing. If you're finding time to follow more than one sport, you're probably missing out on too many other things in life.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

JMarkJohns wrote:
All you talking what is and isn't a sport need to re-read my ignored opinion! Haha
Pro golfers don't drink while playing though. Except for maybe john daly who is a freak and probably the most blessed golfer of all time. If tiger had daly's natural talent he'd have 30 majors.

People ball mere miles from my house every Saturday and Sunday drinking 40s and smoking blunts. Every outdoor sports complex in America has people getting hammered every day of the week while playing softball and baseball. These are all sports.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

pokinmik wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
Pro golfers don't drink while playing though. Except for maybe john daly who is a freak and probably the most blessed golfer of all time. If tiger had daly's natural talent he'd have 30 majors.

People ball mere miles from my house every Saturday and Sunday drinking 40s and smoking blunts. Every outdoor sports complex in America has people getting hammered every day of the week while playing softball and baseball. These are all sports.
Things can be overthought, for sure, but as a foundation, I stand by my assertions.

As has been discussed since, competition isn't enough, physical activity isn't enough, technical skill isn't enough.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Okay, I proved your theory wrong but go ahead and stand by it. People can do anything while drinking. Or is baseball not a sport either? Pro ball players drank in the clubhouse and hit cigs and dip and chew up in plain sight up until not that long ago. Pitchers, on record, have thrown no-no's while drunk and or high. Be consistent at least.

But yes the line has to be drawn somewhere for what is a sport, I think baseball and golf are just above the "sport" line and darts and bowling are just below. It's an opinion in an opinion thread so all good whatever you guys want to think.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:
KOQSTRONG wrote:
You probably just needed to make it into French toast with some of that gluten-free maple syrup I saw in the store yesterday.

They've found a way to make gluten-free products that never had gluten in the first place.
I prefer the syrup from free-range trees.
Last edited by gumby on Mon May 01, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

pokinmik wrote: Okay, I proved your theory wrong but go ahead and stand by it. People can do anything while drinking. Or is baseball not a sport either?
Baseball, yes; softball, no. :mrgreen:

I think, mostly, folks are just trying to have fun with this.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pokinmik wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You don't see the difference between golf and darts/bowling/pool? I think having to traverse a course four days straight in the heat, all while hitting entirely unique shots from different stances each time out sets it apart.

Golf is closer to baseball than bowling. Baseball you swing a bat just like swinging a golf club. Baseball is all mental, besides making a play or two and running the bases once or twice over three and a half hours.

Basketball and football are easily the epitome of sport with what each entail athletically, skill wise, and endurance wise. But you can't judge every other possible sport against the two epitomes.
I don't like golf, but have played a round in summer in Las Vegas. I just don't find the idea that walking for a while to be athletic. You don't need to walk fast or better than anyone.

In baseball, speed and strength matter. In golf, you can be a slow wisp, and if you have solid technique and skill, no biggie. There are no Kenny Loftons in golf.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

... and they ain't any Aurrdrey Hepboins in trash collecting, eithuh!

Last edited by Longhorned on Mon May 01, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

sorry i'm trying to grade crying illini final exams and going stupid
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

gumby wrote:
pokinmik wrote: Okay, I proved your theory wrong but go ahead and stand by it. People can do anything while drinking. Or is baseball not a sport either?
Baseball, yes; softball, no. :mrgreen:

I think, mostly, folks are just trying to have fun with this.
Haha I know. I need to add more smileys or something. Like I said earlier these are all obviously opinions.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
pokinmik wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I don't like golf, but have played a round in summer in Las Vegas. I just don't find the idea that walking for a while to be athletic. You don't need to walk fast or better than anyone.

In baseball, speed and strength matter. In golf, you can be a slow wisp, and if you have solid technique and skill, no biggie. There are no Kenny Loftons in golf.
I hear ya. It's not walking fast you are correct, it's the endurance part that factors in. Being able to swing the exact same way from beginning to end over the course of 4-5 hours while walking miles of terrain is not easy, and then doing it multiple days in a row on top of that. Fatigue is a serious factor for anyone that golfs.

I know you are a basketball guy, as are most of us here. Basketball really is the epitome of sport and athleticism in my eyes. It is an art form...creativity, fluidity, improvisation, mixed in with just brutal power and aggressiveness. Basketball has it all, it's a beautiful thing.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

pokinmik wrote:Okay, I proved your theory wrong but go ahead and stand by it. People can do anything while drinking. Or is baseball not a sport either? Pro ball players drank in the clubhouse and hit cigs and dip and chew up in plain sight up until not that long ago. Pitchers, on record, have thrown no-no's while drunk and or high. Be consistent at least.

But yes the line has to be drawn somewhere for what is a sport, I think baseball and golf are just above the "sport" line and darts and bowling are just below. It's an opinion in an opinion thread so all good whatever you guys want to think.
Dude, you need to chill. I was at work and wanted to check in. Made a passing comment.

I would say if Golfers had to carry their own bag, not just walk and swing, then I'd say it would be a sport, but to me, there's a huge difference in baseball and golf because even the DH has to run. Even the fattest schlub of an everyday player or pitcher has to defend... not just swing and walk.

I think we are mostly saying the same thing. Not sure why you think we are so far apart you think you proved me wrong.

I claim you are overthinking it because yes, technically you can do any major sport while drinking or smoking weed. But that's taking a simple assertion to its absurd levels.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't care if the Olsen twins are billionaires.

No frickin' way.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

"Nicki Minaj with Steven Tyler and Iggy Pop"

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:Image
You won't find John Daley doing that, 'cept maybe metaphorically.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

JMarkJohns wrote:
I didn't see the cake! Hahaha! That's hilarious!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:
I'm pretty sure if John Daly tried to run from home plate to second base, his heart would explode somewhere around first.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
I'm pretty sure if John Daly tried to run from home plate to second base, his heart would explode somewhere around first.
That's what I'm saying.

Additionally, nowhere in a golf match would you even see Prime Tiger Woods, arguably the best athlete the sport has ever seen, doing this.

That to me makes gold a high skill, physical activity that happens to be a competition. Splitting hairs, maybe, but it's basically bowing outdoors, with a bit more walking.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The Harry Potter series was nothing more than a star wars knock off. Voldemort = Darth Vadar, Voldemort/Harry Potter = DV/Luke and so on and so on
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't care for the NBA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:The Harry Potter series was nothing more than a star wars knock off. Voldemort = Darth Vadar, Voldemort/Harry Potter = DV/Luke and so on and so on
Ehh no. Not a great take. Star Wars is about good vs evil, dark vs light. Harry Potter is about love in general. Voldemort isn't Harry Potters dad. Similarities are pretty non-existent.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
That's what I'm saying.

Additionally, nowhere in a golf match would you even see Prime Tiger Woods, arguably the best athlete the sport has ever seen, doing this.

That to me makes gold a high skill, physical activity that happens to be a competition. Splitting hairs, maybe, but it's basically bowing outdoors, with a bit more walking.
From what I hear, Dustin Johnson is an amazing athlete. He can hit a ball 250 with both knees on a Swiss Ball and does sets of one leg squats. I read something years ago about his work outs. It was impressive.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat49 wrote:The Harry Potter series was nothing more than a star wars knock off. Voldemort = Darth Vadar, Voldemort/Harry Potter = DV/Luke and so on and so on
My daughter loves Harry Potter and is meh on Star Wars, which, by the way, is a "Hidden Fortress" knockoff. Or, a good guys/bad guys Western in the sky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Fortress#Plot" target="_blank
George Lucas has acknowledged the heavy influence of The Hidden Fortress on Star Wars,[7] particularly in the technique of telling the story from the perspective of the film's lowliest characters, C-3PO and R2-D2.[8][9] Lucas's original plot outline for Star Wars also had a strong resemblance to the plot of The Hidden Fortress,[10] which would be reused for The Phantom Menace.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:I don't care for the NBA.
Then you don't care for our players, because that's what they care about.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Golf should be timed, like the biathlon, without skis. Clubs instead of rifles. Race from hole to hole. Stop to take shots. Take the total time and add penalty time for each shot taken over par. Subtract time if under par.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:Golf should be timed, like the biathlon, without skis. Clubs instead of rifles. Race from hole to hole. Stop to take shots. Take the total time and add penalty time for each shot taken over par. Subtract time if under par.
There should also be a fast-action croquet involving defense and heavy contact, but played by the same pipe-smoking men and their hair sprayed wives.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:Golf should be timed, like the biathlon, without skis. Clubs instead of rifles. Race from hole to hole. Stop to take shots. Take the total time and add penalty time for each shot taken over par. Subtract time if under par.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_golf
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

AC/DC is overrated jock rock music.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't know if anyone considers AC DC to be the height of musical talent and​ art. But it is nice to listen to sometimes.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't like them. Too much screaming, not of enough music.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Haha that isn't screaming. Must not be a metal fan. I like pretty much all music but country and all the electronic techno type music. Now that takes no talent. Metal is always good though.

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:AC/DC after Bon Scott died is overrated jock rock music.
Corrected for you
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

EVCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:AC/DC after Bon Scott died is overrated jock rock music.
Corrected for you
This I can get on board with. I really don't like post Bon Scott stuff that much.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Ehh no. Not a great take. Star Wars is about good vs evil, dark vs light. Harry Potter is about love in general. Voldemort isn't Harry Potters dad. Similarities are pretty non-existent.
Well in these old eyes it looks like the lady who wrote Potter went to the films in the 70's and 80's and said I want to write a book and took the basic premise from SW.

each had 3 main hero's, Luke, Leah and Han vs Harry, Hermione and Ron. Each had a villain, DV vs Voldemort. Both had light coming from their weapons, light sabre vs wands. I could go on and on.

I just think it's the same story told in a magical way. I guess it does qualify as an unpopular opinion
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

So, if:

1) PJC is not, and cannot be, a Final Four caliber PG,

and

2) Final Four is the ONLY measure of success or program credibility,

then

3) Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

(I'll gladly welcome you back when you decide that either #1 or #2 above are true...)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAEebs86 wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_golf
Now those are athletes!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is Metallica rock or metal?

They are getting a ton of run on the new "classic rock" station here in town, which I love by the way.

93.7 the river. I heartradio.

you're welcome. :)