Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatsbyAZ

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:#4 is oh so true. There was a Real World reality “star” who parlayed his fame into some DJ gigs around Chicago. But he sucked. Then he bartended, but he was way too social and not very fast or accurate. Moved on to working the door at a few clubs. Got recognized all the time, but also fucked with by drunk meatheads who wanted to fight a dude they saw on TV.

Then one day I saw him working the checkout at a CVS. The girl ahead of me said, “Hey, didn’t you used to be.... uh.... what’s your name?”

I honestly hope he left the country. Fuck that kind of fame.
How fitting The Real World is referenced to exemplify bad kinds of fame. Music Critic Chuck Klosterman makes the same connection in his collection of Pop Culture Essays. From Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: "During that very first summer of The Real World, everyone kept telling me I should try to get on RW 2. They gave the same advice to my hot dog-eating roommate. I suspect this was meant to be a compliment to both of us; when people tell you that you should be on a reality program, they're basically saying you're crazy enough to amuse total strangers. I was always flattered by this suggestion, and I used to fantasize about being cast on The Real World, imagining that it would make me famous. What I failed to realize is that being a former member of The Real World is the worst kind of fame. There is no financial upside; it offers no artistic credibility or mainstream adoration or easy sex. Basically, the only reward is that people will (a) point at you in public, and (b) ask you about absolutely nothing else until the day you die, when your participation in a cable television program becomes the lead item in your obituary. You will be the kind of person who suddenly gets recognized at places like Burger King, but you will still be the kind of person who eats at places like Burger King."
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

1. I think thanksgiving is kinda sucky holiday. All holidays have mythologies surrounding them, but this one feels so forced. I felt this way even when I was a young kid getting shlepped to my aunts and uncles houses.

2. Someday I won’t have family obligations and I’m gonna take the week and spend it with my wife and kids going on a fall overseas vacation.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I feel a bit different. I've always had a small family around and have always had some pretty set tradition around Thanksgiving so it feels important to me. I've also never had a Thanksgiving that wasn't at my parent's house or my house as an adult. I also enjoy being in charge and know my house will be the center of family holidays and tradition for decades to come.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Birth control should be put into everyone's water supply until they can prove they are qualified to have children.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:1. I think thanksgiving is kinda sucky holiday. All holidays have mythologies surrounding them, but this one feels so forced. I felt this way even when I was a young kid getting shlepped to my aunts and uncles houses.

2. Someday I won’t have family obligations and I’m gonna take the week and spend it with my wife and kids going on a fall overseas vacation.
I passionately dislike Thanksgiving food.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:1. I think thanksgiving is kinda sucky holiday. All holidays have mythologies surrounding them, but this one feels so forced. I felt this way even when I was a young kid getting shlepped to my aunts and uncles houses.

I passionately dislike Thanksgiving food.
This too.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

You passionately hate mashed potatoes?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My adult kids actually like sweet potatoes, although I don't know why. I don't like them, so we never had them as they were growing up, although my mother always made me eat them when I was a kid. My kids have also never had peas or lima beans when growing up. Blech.

This is the only time of the year I get a whole turkey, but occasionally get a turkey breast a couple of times throughout the year.

But a whole turkey only cost $4 at 29 cents a pound.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Thanksgiving food is coma on a plate.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Turkey sucks. Anything you have to soak in salt for two days just to make it halfway palatable is a tradition gone awry.

I desperately want to do Cornish Game Hens one year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:Turkey sucks. Anything you have to soak in salt for two days just to make it halfway palatable is a tradition gone awry.

I do a dry brine/rub and then smoke it at 250 for about 2 hours with apple and hickory wood. Then finish it in a blazing hot oven to get the skin crisp. Best turkey I've ever had.

Thanksgiving food is definitely not my favorite but if you vary the recipes and cook it well it can be good.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:Turkey sucks. Anything you have to soak in salt for two days just to make it halfway palatable is a tradition gone awry.

I do a dry brine/rub and then smoke it at 250 for about 2 hours with apple and hickory wood. Then finish it in a blazing hot oven to get the skin crisp. Best turkey I've ever had.

Thanksgiving food is definitely not my favorite but if you vary the recipes and cook it well it can be good.
This is what I’m doing this year again. Thanks for the tip on the finish in oven.

Will get me out of the house while I hang lights and get drunk.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have a 12lb gonna do a 4-6hr smoke.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I use my pellet smoker more than I do my propane grill now. So going to smoke a turkey this year.

Going to inject instead of brine due to trying to keep my sodium intake low.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:I use my pellet smoker more than I do my propane grill now. So going to smoke a turkey this year.

What are you injecting?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:I use my pellet smoker more than I do my propane grill now. So going to smoke a turkey this year.

What are you injecting?
This is what I normally use, but found something this year with lower sodium: https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Pack-Tony- ... /264418899" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:I have a 12lb gonna do a 4-6hr smoke.
Mines a 15 lb bird. Smoking turkey is the only way to go if you ask me. Never will roast one again. Wife makes a couple smoked turkey pot pies over the weekend with the leftovers for future freezer meals. So good.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We're having a chicken tomorrow.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I’m sure there are great bagel joints in NYC. But I can find a great Mexican restaurant in Dubai (as unbelievable as that sounds) . . . that doesn’t make Dubai the home of great Mexican food. To me, having to search the City for bagels that are so much better than everybody else’s bagels invalidates the notion that New York bagels are better.
That makes no sense to me.

We picked the closest bagel joint with seating to where we were staying. The bagels there were worlds better than anything in Chicago, LA, Arizona, or anywhere else I’ve lived. No search needed. NYC wins.
Absolutely correct. I lived and worked in NYC for 5 years after UofA before moving back west. There is no comparison to NYC bagels.
20:26 for commentary on New York bagels. I’m not alone. Unpopular, but not alone.

“Lot of bad bagels in New York. Hard to find a good one.”

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/B8gVMuIywe8" target="_blank

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Mines a 15 lb bird. Smoking turkey is the only way to go if you ask me. Never will roast one again. Wife makes a couple smoked turkey pot pies over the weekend with the leftovers for future freezer meals. So good.
Do you wrap in foil when your smoke a turkey?

Last time i didn’t and it came out perfect. This time I didn’t and the all the skin was black char. Once I deskinned it and carved it for the table, it was fine, Smokey and juicy, but when I took it off the grill it looked like dark charcoal.

It sounds like your smoke and then finish in the over right?

That’s probably the right way to go.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Do you wrap in foil when your smoke a turkey?

Last time i didn’t and it came out perfect. This time I didn’t and the all the skin was black char. Once I deskinned it and carved it for the table, it was fine, Smokey and juicy, but when I took it off the grill it looked like dark charcoal.

It sounds like your smoke and then finish in the over right?

That’s probably the right way to go.
Yea and I don't necessarily put smoke on it the whole time. If it spends 3 hours in the smoker I might only give it direct smoke for 1 or 1.5 hours. Depends on your rub too. If there's a lot of sugar and you smoke at a slightly higher temperature it can get dark fast.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s a good point, yeah I had trouble with the temp and was living more at 250 then 225. Also I figure with turkey there is only so much smoke the meat will take so 2hrs is good and the rest of the time in the oven is just to cook the meat.

Lessons learned.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

These conversations read like a quantum physics textbook to me. But I’m really proud to know people who can do this stuff. When the zombie apocalypse hits, I’m coming to live with you guys.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Get a pellet smoker, you will never regret it. I smoke at least once a week now, instead of maybe once a month at most.

Turkey was fantastic, and just had enough smoke taste.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Promoting Coding as a choice career for women is encouraging women to take up a sh*tty job.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

The more I listen to Jimi Hendrix, the more I think he sucks.

When he plays his guitar, he is transcendent. When he opens his mouth, everything goes to shit.

The only exception to this is "All Along The Watchtower" which is great. "Hey Joe" and "Crosstown Traffic" are almost good. Everything else is incomprehensible rubbish. He should have just stuck to playing his guitar.

Unfortunately, this means that 80% of his records are rubbish, cause he just cannot shut up or maybe give the vocals job to somebody else.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote:The more I listen to Jimi Hendrix, the more I think he sucks.

When he plays his guitar, he is transcendent. When he opens his mouth, everything goes to shit.

The only exception to this is "All Along The Watchtower" which is great. "Hey Joe" and "Crosstown Traffic" are almost good. Everything else is incomprehensible rubbish. He should have just stuck to playing his guitar.

Unfortunately, this means that 80% of his records are rubbish, cause he just cannot shut up or maybe give the vocals job to somebody else.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:Get a pellet smoker, you will never regret it. I smoke at least once a week now, instead of maybe once a month at most.

Someone else told me this. When I’m done with this grill that might be my next move. Sound pretty fool proof
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Get a pellet smoker, you will never regret it. I smoke at least once a week now, instead of maybe once a month at most.

Someone else told me this. When I’m done with this grill that might be my next move. Sound pretty fool proof
I have a propane grill and electric smoker but a traeger is my next purchase once we buy a house
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

I have a propane grill and electric smoker but a traeger is my next purchase once we buy a house
I have the duel fuel propane / charcoal with off set smoker box charbroil which I’m really happy with. But I know at some point it will rust out and I’ll have to replace.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:

I have the ZGrill which is half the price, and at least to me, the same build quality as the Traeger. The Pit Boss at Lowe's seems pretty nice too.

However, I am a propane grill snob, any only use Webers since they never wear out unlike the Walmart Charbroil disposable crap. Just replace the flavor bars every 5 years or so.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I love my Weber grill. Had it for 6 years and still going strong
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

UAEebs86 wrote:
RichardCranium wrote:The more I listen to Jimi Hendrix, the more I think he sucks.

OK, I'll agree. "Purple Haze" is good too.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In 99% of cases in every city in North America, people are kidding themselves when they get Chinese take-out from anywhere other than a Panda Express drive-through. Panda Express is in the very top echelon of Chinese food. And that's not saying much.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Ya know, I hate to say it and agree but when it comes to American style Chinese food Panda actually does it just as good as pretty much any restaurant. Never really acknowledged that before.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yea I love my Weber grill. Had it for 6 years and still going strong
Get a Slow N' Sear. It's changed my life. For a $100 add on to my Weber, I'm smoking pork butts, cooking killer tri tip, doing rad reverse sear steaks and amazing chicken. Best $99 I've ever spent!

I learned about it from the Master, Meathead on http://www.amazingribs.com" target="_blank

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-2-0/" target="_blank

I'm doing pulled pork as good as anything down home in West TN with what I've learned from abcbarbeque and amazing ribs. Dry brining in the fridge for two days and Meathead's Mempho Dust takes me back.....Plus I do a country style WTN vinegar based sauce...damn!
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

wyo-cat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Yea I love my Weber grill. Had it for 6 years and still going strong
Get a Slow N' Sear. It's changed my life. For a $100 add on to my Weber, I'm smoking pork butts, cooking killer tri tip, doing rad reverse sear steaks and amazing chicken. Best $99 I've ever spent!

I learned about it from the Master, Meathead on http://www.amazingribs.com" target="_blank

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-2-0/" target="_blank

I'm doing pulled pork as good as anything down home in West TN with what I've learned from abcbarbeque and amazing ribs. Dry brining in the fridge for two days and Meathead's Mempho Dust takes me back.....Plus I do a country style WTN vinegar based sauce...damn!
I have smoked ribs, butts, brisket, and chicken in my Weber for years. I construct a little dam with 2 bricks so that the hot coal area is about 1/3 of the lower grill surface, and therefore the heat is indirect. The challenge has always been temperature control. I am forever adjusting the airflow to keep the thing from getting too hot. I have to baby sit the fucker all day for a butt and brisket (and add coals), and 3 1/2 hours for ribs. I would buy one of these things if it eliminates the temperature control baby sitting. Please tell me about it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm hooked. They have videos on how to manage the temps to cook steaks, butts, tri tip, even osso buco - you name it.

Meathead describes it as the "Single Best Accessory for the Weber Kettle, Ever."

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews ... low-n-sear" target="_blank

Oh, yeah, I followed their Turkey recipe and it was so juicy it ran off the cutting board and onto the floor for my Labs to lick like crazy.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Christmas sucks.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Christmas sucks.
I've decided to focus Christmas on a celebration of Pope Leo III's coronation of Charlemagne on December 25, 800 AD. If you do the same, you'll find it makes Christmas easier.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
I've decided to focus Christmas on a celebration of Pope Leo III's coronation of Charlemagne on December 25, 800 AD. If you do the same, you'll find it makes Christmas easier.
Christmas sucks.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Christmas sucks.
Fuck christmas.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Christmas sucks.
Fuck christmas.
In fact, fuck all of the holidays within November and December to include my and my wife's birthdays respectively. Let's just get it done with.......: Happy New Year Knuckleheads!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My office is closed all next week, and no cost to my vacation, just moved holidays, so gimme some Christmas vacay every year!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don’t mean to brag but I’m at the Nutcracker right now.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:I don’t mean to brag but I’m at the Nutcracker right now.
accruing interest in the treasury of virtue, I’m sure....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
Or paying debts.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Or paying debts.
I was going to say....It's more of a dare, really.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

In relation to chi’s post in another thread;

I really like the Christmas song “Dominic the donkey”

The most pleasurable of annoying ear worms.

You’re welcome. :)
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's a senseless waste of psychic energy to picture anyone other than Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes.

~ Wilhoit's Law