84Cat

Re: RIP Notable Figures

Post by 84Cat »

Simon says Championship
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

84Cat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:31 pm Simon says Championship
"Simon says championship". RIP Billy Packer.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RIP BP
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://sports.yahoo.com/blackhawks-tim ... 00214.html

Hockey great Bobby Hull passes away at 84
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:31 am https://sports.yahoo.com/blackhawks-tim ... 00214.html

Hockey great Bobby Hull passes away at 84
When I was a kid in the 60's or so, I knew a lot of hockey player names, especially Gordie Howe since I grew up in Michigan. Would even channel surf and catch a hockey game. Bobby Hull was the best.

Never had a lot of interest in hockey, but later saw constant news articles on Wayne Gretzky.

Now I can't name one hockey player who has played in the last 20 years. Has hockey fallen off the charts? When I grew up there were only 4 sports, one for each season.

But having 3 kids out here in California since moving here in 1985, they haven't even heard of ice hockey. It's all soccer. All year round.

EDIT:

Any now this:
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:35 pm
[snipity snip snip snip]

Now I can't name one hockey player who has played in the last 20 years. Has hockey fallen off the charts? When I grew up there were only 4 sports, one for each season.
Being from Michigan you are Constitutionally required to acknowledge Gordie Howe as the greatest hocky player ever. I mean he played with his sons - at a high level - for crying out loud. Take that Tom Brady!

And (INHO) Hockey died when they expanded. I mean really, NHL hockey in Arizona? Florida? Texas? WTF?

Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, New York, Boston <- THAT's the NHL.

The first expansion to 12 teams was OK (except there should have been at least 2 Canadian teams in the mix), but then they just got ridiculous.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RichardCranium wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:30 am
Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:35 pm
[snipity snip snip snip]

Being from Michigan you are Constitutionally required to acknowledge Gordie Howe as the greatest hocky player ever. I mean he played with his sons - at a high level - for crying out loud. Take that Tom Brady!

And (INHO) Hockey died when they expanded. I mean really, NHL hockey in Arizona? Florida? Texas? WTF?

Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, New York, Boston <- THAT's the NHL.

The first expansion to 12 teams was OK (except there should have been at least 2 Canadian teams in the mix), but then they just got ridiculous.
I grew up in LA but always had a curiosity about hockey. Sure, I would check out the Kings occasionally and got a bit more enamored watching the Triple Crown line perform (go look that up).

Then I moved back east, eventually got married and had a son. He was definitely going to play sports so while he did sign up for Tee ball and soccer the idea of hockey came up especially with a rink not 2 miles from where we lived. It was actually cool learning a new sport both for me and my son - getting all the gear, taking him to cold rinks for practice, watching coaches teaching the sport - so I fell in love with hockey. My son played youth travel hockey from ages 6-14 and then HS hockey and it was a blast to watch. The tournaments, the crazy parents, etc..

Now I am a big time hockey fan and one of the best college teams in the country (Quinnipiac) plays at an arena a few miles down the block.

I tell people hockey is the best sport to watch in person and NHL playoff hockey is about as exciting as it gets.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

For the long term Tucsonans here, how many of you have caught site of the "Umbrella Lady" on the north side of town, often wearing her trademark combination of elaborate umbrellas and frilly Victorian era dresses? I remember spotting her as far back as 2008 when driving my Dad home from work on the stretch of Oracle entering Oro Valley.

Unfortunately she was struck and killed by a vehicle last month, Jan 5. A community memorial was held at Tohono Chul Park on January 30. Her name was Lydia Reis. There was a large facebook group and reddit thread dedicated to posting updated sightings. She was known to hand strangers stuffed animals.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I remember her from the (I think) late 90s.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No RIP here, just passing on the news. More rot in hell bitch.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RIP Joe Kapp. I remember watching him when I was a kid. He was one tough motherfucker. Died after 15 years of dementia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jo ... 24da&ei=56
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Sad. His Vikings used to make me cry when they beat my Rams.

I think he was also the coach of Cal when “The cheating Play” happened to beat Elway’s Stanford team. Afterwards, his quote was “the Bear will never die.”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:36 pm Sad. His Vikings used to make me cry when they beat my Rams.

I think he was also the coach of Cal when “The cheating Play” happened to beat Elway’s Stanford team. Afterwards, his quote was “the Bear will never die.”
Just going to say the same thing about my Lions. Minnesota owned Detroit when I was growing up.

Back when NFL QBs were OK with a 50% completion rate and the same number of TDs as pics. Kapp ended up with more pics than TDs, same with Joe Namath if anyone remembers him.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Legendary Louisville basketball coach Denny Crum dies at 86

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/denny-crum ... at-age-86/
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/sto ... basketball

Here's a Times story on Wooden's influence on Denny Crum and UCLA low-balling him on salary; hence Louisville.

I used to travel to Louisville on business. Obviously UK vs. UofL is very big, with Lexington only a 20 minute drive away. Crum and former UK hoops coach Joe B. Hall had an afternoon sports talk radio show that was pretty big with the locals. Think of what it would have been like if, after their coaching days, Lute and Bill Frieder had a radio show on in Phoenix and Tucson.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Arguably the greatest running back of all time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As old as I am, he started in the NFL before I was born, so don't recall seeing him play like I do the other great athletes of that and later generations.

Did appreciate his acting though, along with this activism.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He was playing his last year(s) when I first began to watch NFL football.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

(Also Posted in "Politics, Religion & Beer|Organized Religion")

He was an evil bastard!!

Rolling Stone Obituary - https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234766208/
Pat Robertson, Televangelist Who Blamed Gay People for 9/11 and Hurricanes, Dies

The conspiratorial hatemonger who founded the Christian Broadcasting Network helped usher Christian-conservatism into the mainstream

Pat Robertson, the televangelist who ran for the Republican nomination for president in 1988, died on Thursday at the age of 93. The Christian Broadcasting Network, which Robertson founded in 1960, announced the news on Friday morning.

Robertson is widely credited with ushering Christian-conservatism into mainstream politics in the 1980s and 1990s, and laying the groundwork for the modern right-wing culture war. He has a history of extreme, bigoted commentary — including that gay people and abortion caused 9/11, that Haitians deserved the 2010 earthquake that ravaged the island nation, and that feminists are evil.

The 700 Club, Robertson’s long-running program on the CBN, was his most common platform for hate. In the days after 9/11, he brought on pastor Jerry Falwell to discuss the tragedy. “I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say, ‘You helped this happen,'” Falwell said, to which Robertson said “I totally concur” and that the “agenda” has been adopted by the “highest levels of our government.”

Robertson’s bigotry toward gay people was boundless. He said on The 700 Club that he wished Facebook had a “vomit button” for when he came across a picture of gay people kissing, equated gay people with Nazis and Satanists, suggested God unleashed hurricanes and other natural disasters punishment for homosexuality. “I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you,” he said of Disney World’s Gay Days. “It’ll bring about terrorist bombs; it’ll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor.”

Robertson was very much an active participant in the modern, far-right Christian-conservatism he helped create. He supported Donald Trump in 2016 and 2020, and described those trying to stop him from doing so as “revolting against what God’s plan is for America.” After a gunman killed 60 people in Las Vegas in 2017, Robertson blamed “disrespect” for Trump. Robertson broke from the former president after the 2020 election, however, saying Trump needed to “move on” from the loss and that it would be “a mistake” for him to run again in 2024.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Another to rot in hell.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Another MAGA patriot the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers would worship.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Oh, and tomorrow is the anniversary of Tim McVeigh's execution. Will Lake and Biggs and MAGA use it for recruitment purposes, even though they're not "violent"?

Well, will they, Machina?

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

America's greatest living writer has died.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

His “Border Trilogy” - All the Pretty Horses (1992), The Crossing (1994), and Cities of the Plain (1998) - are among my all-time favorites in all American literature.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

No Country is wildly underrated. Blood Meridian needs no one to speak for it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

1. McCarthy didn't ever vote: "Poets shouldn't vote."

2. McCarthy eschewed interviews: "It's not good for your head."

3. McCarthy no longer drank alcohol: (I'm paraphrasing because I can't get back to the NYTimes article) "Most of my friends are people who have quit drinking."

1. Fucking Platonists!

2. My "best" writing turned out to be something meant for no one but was accidentally read by someone and fraudulently gained a quotation mark worldliness never intended. I find it remarkable how serious writers can write for an audience and still retain an inward voice. How does that work? What of my own that I love emerged immediate to the point that later I can't recognize the author because I am still inside of it. It is its own thing and I am the least part of it.

3. Ain't it a bitch: that seducing muse who verges in the whisky buzz and emasculates editing in the light of sobriety. How can writing be productive? It's depletive as a jar of leeches.

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

What, no love for "The Road"?

Couldn't put the damned thing down.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I've never read him. If you were going to just read one of his books, which one would it be?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:51 am I've never read him. If you were going to just read one of his books, which one would it be?
Since you're a southwestern outdoor guy I would suggest reading his later works which depart from Appalachian and Faulknerian themes. The Border Trilogy was his first real breakthrough, but it's first book is the best. Blood Meridian is long and relentlessly brutal, but splendid. It's deeply historical and leans heavily on Melville. I haven't read The Road. My favorite is No Country For Old Men not only because it is one of my favorite movies, but because the book is brief by comparison and densely Kierkegaardian. Longhorned (before he got tired of us) said it best: it's inexhaustible.

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:13 pm 1. McCarthy didn't ever vote: "Poets shouldn't vote."

2. McCarthy eschewed interviews: "It's not good for your head."

3. McCarthy no longer drank alcohol: (I'm paraphrasing because I can't get back to the NYTimes article) "Most of my friends are people who have quit drinking."

1. Fucking Platonists!

2. My "best" writing turned out to be something meant for no one but was accidentally read by someone and fraudulently gained a quotation mark worldliness never intended. I find it remarkable how serious writers can write for an audience and still retain an inward voice. How does that work? What of my own that I love emerged immediate to the point that later I can't recognize the author because I am still inside of it. It is its own thing and I am the least part of it.

3. Ain't it a bitch: that seducing muse who verges in the whisky buzz and emasculates editing in the light of sobriety. How can writing be productive? It's depletive as a jar of leeches.
No. 2 is bass-ackwards. He made that remark in an interview with Opra, in reference to receiving accolades and complients from fellow writers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My local newspaper (Battle Creek Enquirer) actually published them, and I read them voraciously.

I recall thinking, what a time! The Viet Nam war, the protests, Nixon and Watergate and so on.

Never see days like that again. Until the Trump era anyway.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I forgot to mention a negative critical consensus about Cormac McCarthy with which I’ve always disagreed.

He wrote the original screenplay for Ridley Scott’s “The Counselor” (2013), which most critics panned.

here’s a plot summary: A Bentley-driving Texas lawyer (Michael Fassbender) appears to have it all, including a beautiful fiancee named Laura (Penélope Cruz) -- but his financial needs force him to become involved in an ill-advised drug deal. His partners in the venture include middleman Westray (Brad Pitt), shady nightclub owner Reiner (Javier Bardem) and Malkina (Cameron Diaz), Reiner's sociopathic lover. Unsurprisingly, the counselor's deal spirals out of control, placing both him and Laura in mortal danger.

I eagerly sought this film out when it was released, and really liked it! I’ve streamed is 3 or 4 times since, and glad I did each time. I consider it one of the best 21st century noirs!

I recommend it highly.

(And, even if you agree with the critics, tell me if you’ve ever seen a better scenee of a woman (Cameron Diaz) making love to a car!!) :shock:

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:38 am I forgot to mention a negative critical consensus about Cormac McCarthy with which I’ve always disagreed.

He wrote the original screenplay for Ridley Scott’s “The Counselor” (2013), which most critics panned.

here’s a plot summary: A Bentley-driving Texas lawyer (Michael Fassbender) appears to have it all, including a beautiful fiancee named Laura (Penélope Cruz) -- but his financial needs force him to become involved in an ill-advised drug deal. His partners in the venture include middleman Westray (Brad Pitt), shady nightclub owner Reiner (Javier Bardem) and Malkina (Cameron Diaz), Reiner's sociopathic lover. Unsurprisingly, the counselor's deal spirals out of control, placing both him and Laura in mortal danger.

I eagerly sought this film out when it was released, and really liked it! I’ve streamed is 3 or 4 times since, and glad I did each time. I consider it one of the best 21st century noirs!

I recommend it highly.

(And, even if you agree with the critics, tell me if you’ve ever seen a better scenee of a woman (Cameron Diaz) making love to a car!!) :shock:
Ruben Blades had a brief but brutally beautiful part:

Jefe : Machado would have traded every word, every poem, every verse he ever wrote for one more hour with his beloved. And that is because when it comes to grief, the normal rules of exchange do not apply, because grief transcends value. A man would give entire nations to lift grief off his heart. And yet, you cannot buy anything with grief, because grief is worthless.

Counselor : Why are you telling me this?

Jefe : Because you continue to deny the reality of the world you're in. Do you love your wife so much, so completely, that you would exchange places with her upon the wheel? And I don't mean dying, because dying is easy.

Counselor : Yes! Yes, damn you!

Jefe : Well, that is good to hear, Counselor.

Counselor : What are you saying? Are you saying this is a possibility?

Jefe : No. It's impossible.

Counselor : You said I was that man - at that crossing.

Jefe : Yes. At the understanding that life is not going to take you back. You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. But for those with the understanding that they're living the last days of the world, death acquires a different meaning. The extinction of all reality is a concept no resignation can encompass. And then, all the grand designs and all the grand plans will be finally exposed and revealed for what they are. And now, Counselor, I have to go, because I have to make other calls. If I have time, I think I'll take a small nap.

[hangs up]

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

“The world in which you seek to undo the mistakes that you made is different from the world where the mistakes were made. You are now at the crossing, and you want to choose, but there is no choosing there. There’s only accepting. The choosing was done a long time ago.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I hated 'No Country...' (the movie). Cant stand it at all.

I am not encouraged by that experience to attempt his books.

Would a viewing of 'The Counselor' change my mind?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RichardCranium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:51 pm I hated 'No Country...' (the movie). Cant stand it at all.

I am not encouraged by that experience to attempt his books.

Would a viewing of 'The Counselor' change my mind?
Without any explanation of your dislike of “No Country…”, I’d have to say probably not.

His writing is highly respected across the board. “Blood Meridian” might be held back pending liking his other stuff, but “All the Pretty Horses” (novel) would be a good intro….

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RichardCranium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:51 pm I hated 'No Country...' (the movie). Cant stand it at all.
Then your condition is beyond care. Start drinking heavily.
RichardCranium wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:51 pmWould a viewing of 'The Counselor' change my mind?
Nope

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:04 pm His writing is highly respected across the board. “Blood Meridian” might be held back pending liking his other stuff, but “All the Pretty Horses” (novel) would be a good intro….
As is often the case, the movie No Country pales in comparison to the book as Sheriff Bell cannot be appreciated without knowing his wartime past and the basis of his guilt which forever rends his person from his becoming.

Similarly, Llewelyn can't be appreciated without reading his relationship with the young stray girl whom he meets when he goes on the lam. She, and that segment of his running, isn't in the movie at all.

Chigurh can't be understood as anything but a vacant killing machine without reading the subtle interplay between him and his victims, none of which is in the movie.

Sheriff Bell concedes to Chigurh in the end, not only out of limitation, but because of protective duty to his wife. (The heart of that is in the scene with Uncle Ellis. It's the best scene in the movie if you ask this Texas boy.) The purity Chigurh embodies is impossible in human terms, not only to attain, but to defeat in conflict. It is a purity that reconciles mode and being, and hurdles the time component of humanity's corruption. McCarthy's typical genius is to make this corruptionless perfection both malevolent and redemptive.

On film Llewelyn is delivered as a bull-headed dullard, but his steadfastness is refracted into nuance in his brief companionship with the stray girl. In their conversations McCarthy gives standard humanity's life mechanics a very clean but tragic portrayal. She is a road creature of immediate engagement and Llewelyn is the reflective high-mileage wanderer. Llewelyn, like Bell is also a war vet, and in the book Bell meets with his father.

Chigurh reckons the accounts of the road. Whether it is the gas station owner or interloping competitors or the man that hires them, or Llewelyn's wife, they are all called to his balance sheet. There's virtually no look inside Chigurh except in the book, and there is a subtle temporal displacement verging on the human condition. It's so slight as to be tender, but violence closes the wound, and purifies it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:03 pm
pc in NM wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:04 pm His writing is highly respected across the board. “Blood Meridian” might be held back pending liking his other stuff, but “All the Pretty Horses” (novel) would be a good intro….
As is often the case, the movie No Country pales in comparison to the book as Sheriff Bell cannot be appreciated without knowing his wartime past and the basis of his guilt which forever rends his person from his becoming.

Similarly, Llewelyn can't be appreciated without reading his relationship with the young stray girl whom he meets when he goes on the lam. She, and that segment of his running, isn't in the movie at all.

Chigurh can't be understood as anything but a vacant killing machine without reading the subtle interplay between him and his victims, none of which is in the movie.

Sheriff Bell concedes to Chigurh in the end, not only out of limitation, but because of protective duty to his wife. (The heart of that is in the scene with Uncle Ellis. It's the best scene in the movie if you ask this Texas boy.) The purity Chigurh embodies is impossible in human terms, not only to attain, but to defeat in conflict. It is a purity that reconciles mode and being, and hurdles the time component of humanity's corruption. McCarthy's typical genius is to make this corruptionless perfection both malevolent and redemptive.

On film Llewelyn is delivered as a bull-headed dullard, but his steadfastness is refracted into nuance in his brief companionship with the stray girl. In their conversations McCarthy gives standard humanity's life mechanics a very clean but tragic portrayal. She is a road creature of immediate engagement and Llewelyn is the reflective high-mileage wanderer. Llewelyn, like Bell is also a war vet, and in the book Bell meets with his father.

Chigurh reckons the accounts of the road. Whether it is the gas station owner or interloping competitors or the man that hires them, or Llewelyn's wife, they are all called to his balance sheet. There's virtually no look inside Chigurh except in the book, and there is a subtle temporal displacement verging on the human condition. It's so slight as to be tender, but violence closes the wound, and purifies it.
I have not read the book. But it is my understanding that McCarthy first wrote the screenplay, then based the novel upon it.

The movie stands on its own, and, as with any work of art, should not depend upon external references. IMNSHO, same goes for the book

― Kinky Friedman
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:02 pm
Then your condition is beyond care. Start drinking heavily.
I don't understand what you mean by the word 'Start'.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

The godfather of Hacking, Kevin Mitnick, who at 16, all the way back in 1979, broken into and copied the databses of Digital Equipment Corporation and Pacific Bell. His young adulthood of hacking culminated in an FBI pursuit and arrest in the mid-90s. Passed away of Pancreatic Cancer.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Jimmy Buffet passed away.

“…some of its magic, some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just saw him in March and have seen him 7 times. Sad day. RIP Jimmy

Used to have one of his lyrics in my sig here:
"I gotta fly to St. Somewhere"
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion