Millennials

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Millenials

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:Oh no! Young people are realizing that a business model based on the leering sexualization of young women is inherently awful? Heavens me!

Hey Millennials.... do gun manufacturers and the oil industry next...
And shitty food. But yea, my reaction exactly.
Alieberman

Re: Millenials

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote:Thanks a lot...

Damn you UberEats and the Internet!!!!!!
SCCats

Re: Millennials

Post by SCCats »

My new concept restaurant “guys in nothing but yoga pants” has been having a tougher time getting funding than I expected also...
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'd rather eat at McDonald's than Hooters. I don't think I know of a restaurant with worse food.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUCatFan wrote:I'd rather eat at McDonald's than Hooters. I don't think I know of a restaurant with worse food.
Joe’s Crab Shack
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Basically list any sit down chain restaurant that exists and "millennials are killing it".
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

scumdevils86 wrote:Basically list any sit down chain restaurant that exists and "millennials are killing it".
I like a few, but I would rather go literally anywhere else. Give me a hole in the wall type place where the cook still cares.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

There is hope!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Apparently, I deeply offended a Millennial (23yo) sitting at the bar the other night when I referred to her - in a totally complimentary and non-threatening manner - as a "young kid" which, of course, was relative to my 52 years. Dumb bitch went off on me and demanded an apology for offending her. I suggested that she get over herself and fuck off. Turned out she was an asu grad.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BearDown89 wrote:Apparently, I deeply offended a Millennial (23yo) sitting at the bar the other night when I referred to her - in a totally complimentary and non-threatening manner - as a "young kid" which, of course, was relative to my 52 years. Dumb bitch went off on me and demanded an apology for offending her. I suggested that she get over herself and fuck off. Turned out she was an asu grad.
23 year olds barely even count as millennials, and may actually be the generation after us. Millennials really are in the 25-39 age range.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Heathens
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

84Cat wrote:Heathens
While I haven’t read the article, I know three types of millennials/xennials:

1. Seldom in a relationship. They meet, they fuck around, they don’t commit
2. They commit, but never marry. Some have ceremonies, but it is never legally binding.
3. Married once early, but divorced, and now belong to one of the top-2 options.

Almost every 18-40 year old I know is in one of these categories. Almost none are married and still married. Even the ones who met and wed as part of regular church activities. In fact, these ones barely lasted 3 years on average.

So, maybe divorce rates are down, but it is more because lesser marriage numbers.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

JMarkJohns wrote:

2. They commit, but never marry. Some have ceremonies, but it is never legally binding.
3. Married once early, but divorced, and now belong to one of the top-2 options.

Almost every 18-40 year old I know is in one of these categories. Almost none are married and still married. Even the ones who met and wed as part of regular church activities. In fact, these ones barely lasted 3 years on average.

So, maybe divorce rates are down, but it is more because lesser marriage numbers.
Would like to add this is dependent on geography, location. Those that do marry do so in early thirties and have stayed strong going on 5+ years now. They don’t have kids and keep up with all the same level of international travel, foodie, arts activities that they did when they were single. A counter point from my experience.

People tend to get married younger in Arizona and other red states. Lot of personal growth happens in your 20s.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

JMarkJohns wrote:

It's largely due to people getting married older or not getting married in the first place (especially non-college educated, who have higher divorce rates than college educated and now aren't getting married at all).

I dated my college gf for eight years before breaking up. In a prior era we probably would've gotten married soon after graduation and then gotten divorced. So proud to say I've helped keep the numbers down.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Millennials are killing countless industries — but the Fed says it's mostly just because they're poor

https://www.sfgate.com/technology/busin ... D=ref_fark

Millennials have been blamed for killing plenty of industries. But, according to the Federal Reserve, it's not their fault.

"A new Federal Reserve paper says the app-loving, participation-trophy-receiving cohort, defined as those born between 1981 and 1997, aren't really different from their parents," Bloomberg's Luke Kawa reports. "They're just poorer than previous generations were at this point in their lives, thanks to a large portion of the group coming of age during the financial crisis."
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

As someone born in 1986 that is very true. Took me until I was 30 to recover, start making a decent living, and to start actually saving for a home and retirement.

Baby boomers and the greatest generation didn't have to wait that long.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:As someone born in 1986 that is very true. Took me until I was 30 to recover, start making a decent living, and to start actually saving for a home and retirement.

We BBs had the best of all worlds: a rising stock market; labor that paid; low housing and healthcare costs.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:As someone born in 1986 that is very true. Took me until I was 30 to recover, start making a decent living, and to start actually saving for a home and retirement.

We BBs had the best of all worlds: a rising stock market; labor that paid; low housing and healthcare costs.
Dove, thank you for stating as such. So many boomers fail to recognize the above.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Graduated from UA towards the end of the "Great Recession" and ultimately wasn't able to get the job I wanted. Everyone wanted multiple years of experience which was easier to find at the time as the job market was just starting to come back. Main reason why I ended up going to graduate school. Ended up ok in the end but it took awhile. Student loan debit seems to be a killer for a lot of millennials.

The thing that is most annoying to me is the people that complain about the millennial generation are the ones that raised us. Just annoying.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Dove, thank you for stating as such. So many boomers fail to recognize the above.
Lots of people, BBs included, suffer at the hands of an unfair world and not through any fault of their own. But whinging BBs who squandered opportunities, opportunities unheard of in later generations bring out my inner redneck. I think it was Scum who said y'all get the bad rap for a spoiled (?!) life because you grew up with iPhones. Fuck that. My wages for grunt work on a seismograph crew '76-'79 are simply beyond stupid in today's dollars. It's so unfair, you don't even want to know.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tucson ranks last in nation for attracting millennials in new survey

https://tucson.com/laestrella/vida/tucs ... 7dc69.html" target="_blank
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Tucson ranks last in nation for attracting millennials in new survey

https://tucson.com/laestrella/vida/tucs ... 7dc69.html" target="_blank
Not sure if I believe that. Tons of apartments and housing and restaurants and bars and things all catering to millennials going up lately. Tucson may not be at the top of the list but people still are moving here because it's a nice place to live as a single 20/30 something that's cheaper than Austin or Portland or Denver or San Francisco.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So am I a personal rather than societal failure, since I'm a Gen X'er who didn't reach the level of my parents?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote:
"In 2018, the younger generations of the Millennials and Gen-X outvoted the older generations of the Silent Generation and Boomers. The count was 62.2 million to 60.1 million. The younger group increased its voter count by more than 20 million from 2014 to 2016.

And only more have progressed to voting age.

By the time the presidential election rolls around, the Boomers and Silent Generation will be less than 40% of the electorate. The youngest group, Gen-Z, will make up 10%; the rest will be Millennials and Gen-X."

https://economyandmarkets.com/economy/d ... -election/" target="_blank

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about this website; it's the result of a DDG search. The upshot is that, in my hope, the worm is about to turn. Once this current economic expansion cycle ends the chickens will come home to roost and the Boomers are gonna get bitch-slapped. But if Satan has his way and the OrangeDouchebag is in his second term there will be a horde of aging politicians who in their exit will loot this country like never before.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:So am I a personal rather than societal failure, since I'm a Gen X'er who didn't reach the level of my parents?
I’m pretty sure the only non-failed aspect of my life is that my cats think I’m pretty ok. My parents are both PhDs and military officers, my mom retired as a Full Bird Colonel (one rank below General). I’m just a pretend architect and pretend academic. I’m pretty sure it’s 70% personal failure and 25% societal. 5% chaos.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Well I am killing it compared to my parents but I am still pretty far behind my grandparents. Hard to beat those 1st gen immigrants. My kids are doing fine but then they didn't have any debt out of college either
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Longhorned wrote:So am I a personal rather than societal failure, since I'm a Gen X'er who didn't reach the level of my parents?
I’m pretty sure the only non-failed aspect of my life is that my cats think I’m pretty ok. My parents are both PhDs and military officers, my mom retired as a Full Bird Colonel (one rank below General). I’m just a pretend architect and pretend academic. I’m pretty sure it’s 70% personal failure and 25% societal. 5% chaos.
Good on your Moms. I bet there aren't many female Full Birds out there.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
My aunt retired as a full bird probably almost 20 years ago. She was the chief nurse and Rammstein for a while.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

scumdevils86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
My aunt retired as a full bird probably almost 20 years ago. She was the chief nurse and Rammstein for a while.
My mom may have known her. She retired about then, too. And wrote the history of the Army Nurse Corps.

https://www.amazon.com/History-STUDIES- ... 0812235029

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
My mom may have known her. She retired about then, too. And wrote the history of the Army Nurse Corps.

https://www.amazon.com/History-STUDIES- ... 0812235029

That's awesome. I was never that close to her but heard stories. She was in during the most peaceful period in American military history for sure. About 1975-2000.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I thought they said this about Gen X. I know this Gen Xer isn’t doing as well as his parents
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:I thought they said this about Gen X. I know this Gen Xer isn’t doing as well as his parents
I think Gen X was the inflection point. We flattened the curve and the curve is dumping on millennials.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

scumdevils86 wrote:
That's awesome. I was never that close to her but heard stories. She was in during the most peaceful period in American military history for sure. About 1975-2000.
Yeah that was about the period for my mom as well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
My mom marries money well.

My father is a scam artist, unethical and oft sued but borderline legal enough to stay out of prison. He also knows how to hide his money when sued.

I write articles that nobody reads and teach courses that elicit student feedback like "He's really into it but nobody else is."
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
My mom marries money well.

My father is a scam artist, unethical and oft sued but borderline legal enough to stay out of prison. He also knows how to hide his money when sued.

I write articles that nobody reads and teach courses that elicit student feedback like "He's really into it but nobody else is."
The LH family line is living the dream.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Great, albeit depressing article for anyone currently 24-39 ish years old.

The unluckiest generation in U.S. history

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... rc=nl_most" target="_blank
After accounting for the present crisis, the average millennial has experienced slower economic growth since entering the workforce than any other generation in U.S. history.

Millennials will bear these economic scars the rest of their lives, in the form of lower earnings, lower wealth and delayed milestones, such as homeownership.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

HENRYs are a thing now: High Earner Not Rich Yet. Mostly Millennials, apparently, are the new DINKs: Double Income No Kids, and have +/- $80k in college loan debt. Who knew?

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:18 am HENRYs are a thing now: High Earner Not Rich Yet. Mostly Millennials, apparently, are the new DINKs: Double Income No Kids, and have +/- $80k in college loan debt. Who knew?
Kinda me and my wife. We earn like $100k between the 2 of us now which in the past would've meant we're golden. But she has like 90k in student loans and while we're not poor we barely have any extra money and will never be able to buy a house and we currently live in a very cheap place with lowish bills

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have a ton of dink friends.

Shit - they are doctor dinks.

They have really good lives. 😂
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

By that regard - im counter cultural three kids still married slugging it out economically in Cali as a high income earner….
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was and still am married, 3 kids, single income here in California. It was very tough, especially being a lowly paid state employee.

However, my first house was $135K in 1990, which I sold for $159K in 2001, and bought my current house for $219K shortly afterwards. Now my house is worth $629K according to Zillow, which is not a very nice house in not a very nice neighborhood. Just a 1959 tract home in a starter neighborhood.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:47 pm I was and still am married, 3 kids, single income here in California. It was very tough, especially being a lowly paid state employee.

However, my first house was $135K in 2001, which I sold for $159K in 2010, and bought my current house for $219K shortly afterwards. Now my house is worth $629K according to Zillow, which is not a very nice house in not a very nice neighborhood. Just a 1959 tract home in a starter neighborhood.
Sell it, move to NM, buy a palace, and pocket half the $$$$. 8-)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:18 am HENRYs are a thing now: High Earner Not Rich Yet. Mostly Millennials, apparently, are the new DINKs: Double Income No Kids, and have +/- $80k in college loan debt. Who knew?
HENRYs are old news. The new acronym to know is DILDOs. Dual Income Large Dog Owners.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:34 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:47 pm I was and still am married, 3 kids, single income here in California. It was very tough, especially being a lowly paid state employee.

However, my first house was $135K in 1990, which I sold for $159K in 2001, and bought my current house for $219K shortly afterwards. Now my house is worth $629K according to Zillow, which is not a very nice house in not a very nice neighborhood. Just a 1959 tract home in a starter neighborhood.
Sell it, move to NM, buy a palace, and pocket half the $$$$. 8-)
If I moved here in 2023 and made the same salary I made when I retired, I could not afford to live in my own house, not even to rent.

I really don't know how millennials live here.

On NM, we did consider it, but we like it here so much. Never snows, and no need for AC.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I've thought for awhile now that the younger generation has it tougher.

High schools don't have any vocational ed and university tuition is clear out of hand. It's gotta be real tough coming out of school with debt in the high 5 figures.

I'm confused why the military has such a tough time meeting retirement goals. It's good pay with good training and if you make something out of it, you can get out at age 38-40 with half your salary and full benefits for life. I work with a bunch of retired vets. They are ALL on disability regardless of the fact that few of them ever saw combat and by far most of them are extremely healthy. They get preference for federal jobs-qualified or not and can make big bank after getting 20 years in.

All of them are doing much better than me economically. All I did at 18 to 23 is go get a science degree and have worked since I was 14.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:19 am
I'm confused why the military has such a tough time meeting retirement goals. It's good pay with good training and if you make something out of it, you can get out at age 38-40 with half your salary and full benefits for life.
It’s probably the never-ending military entanglements that practically guarantee that you (and possibly your family) will be sent to some far flung hellhole for years for no good reason.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:55 am
Carcassdragger wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:19 am
I'm confused why the military has such a tough time meeting retirement goals. It's good pay with good training and if you make something out of it, you can get out at age 38-40 with half your salary and full benefits for life.
It’s probably the never-ending military entanglements that practically guarantee that you (and possibly your family) will be sent to some far flung hellhole for years for no good reason.
There's alot of US service people in places like Germany, Hawaii, Guam, Japan, and all over the U.S.

But your statement brings up another thing: the military generally takes good care of dependents.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion