The Great Outdoors

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:You're both wrong. Until you've gotten food poisoning at the El Tovar the totality of the Grand Canyon experience has escaped you.
I once took a helicopter ride into the canyon, but apparently I’ve never actually seen it because I didn’t witness a mayfly humping a cottonwood seed at the river’s edge.
UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote: Yeah, you can stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon, and look down, too, but you haven’t “seen” it, or “been there”....
Is this like the difference between “listening” to Jimi Hendrix and “hearing” Jimi Hendrix?

Thank you for your service Eebs.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:You're both wrong. Until you've gotten food poisoning at the El Tovar the totality of the Grand Canyon experience has escaped you.
That's where I ate my first ever sandwich with the bread secured to the ham and cheese with a toothpick ornamented with colored cellophane frizzles.
The El Tovar is essential in the tension between identity and difference in the aesthetic totality of the Grand Canyon experience, if only to counterpose the scent of Juniper with that of three day old diapers wafting on the airborne bacteria coming out of the kitchen.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Thank you for your service Eebs.
De nada

I actually did the Clark Griswold thing at my first visit to the Alamo with my wife on a cross-country move with my personal vehicle paid for by my company.
Had to get from Florida to Phoenix in 4 days. Took a pic after breakfast in San Antonio and hit the road.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Chicat wrote: Thank you for your service Eebs.

I actually did the Clark Griswold thing at my first visit to the Alamo with my wife on a cross-country move with my personal vehicle paid for by my company.
Had to get from Florida to Phoenix in 4 days. Took a pic after breakfast in San Antonio and hit the road.
One of the best pastrami sandwiches I ever had was in San Antonio surprisingly. At an old school deli. Also some of the most mediocre Mexican food ever in San Antonio. Tex Mex just isn't that good people.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
I once took a helicopter ride into the canyon, but apparently I’ve never actually seen it because I didn’t witness a mayfly humping a cottonwood seed at the river’s edge.
Then your pilot was a pussy. Next time hire a graybeard Nam vet. Yippie Ki-Yay Motherfucker!
Last edited by dovecanyoncat on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Also some of the most mediocre Mexican food ever in San Antonio. Tex Mex just isn't that good people.
^ What Hater said.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Setting aside my archaeology obsession, it's possible to have get a lot out of Mesa Verde with just a quick visit. You can't do the British Museum in an afternoon, either, but it's worth seeing what's most interesting to you.

Skip the visitors museum, talk a quick walk down into the interactive part of the site, view the famous cliff structures from above, and skip the drive around the park to visit the various structures.
Yeah, you can stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon, and look down, too, but you haven’t “seen” it, or “been there”....
Now hold on. You're saying if someone stood on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, and took it all in with his eyes, he hasn't seen the Grand Canyon?
More or less, yes. I’d been there several times, but until I hiked it and spent a nite by the river, I hadn’t really “seen” or “experienced” the Grand Canyon.... that’s what I mean
Let's have this out. If you hike the Grand Canyon, you can't see it anymore because you're in it. I've hiked the Hermit Trail and Havasupai Trail, I spent days down in there, and I'm here to tell you it's just like being anywhere else in nature once you're inside of it.

Nobody hiked into the Grand Canyon, slept in a sleeping bag down there, and then decided it was one of Wonders of the World. It's the seeing of it in all its expansiveness from the outside -- up on the rim -- that presents the fullness of the sublime. That's the Wonder.

If you were to blindfold a man and reveal everything once he's at the bottom of the canyon, that's the guy who hasn't seen a damn thing.

What you're saying is like if somebody goes to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam to see Rambrandt's Night Watch, and then you say to him he hasn't seen it because he hasn't looked at it under a microscope. Sometimes, it's not about being inside a thing. It's about seeing it.
So, you’ve hiked the canyon, and it really didn’t add much to the experience of viewing from the rim, eh?

If/when you do, you’ll “see” infinite different perspectives, both as you go down, and on your return. You’ll “see” that dinky little line of water, from the top, become larger, more powerful, and marvel at the huge river at the bottom. You’ll see each layer, not as a smooth surface, but as very detailed, diverse and complex systems of their own. You’ll experience the temperature, humidity, etc change. You’l feel The real distances involved in your muscles. And more....

I’ve never seen Rembrandt’s Night Watch, but EVERY great painting I have seen in person has been a powerful and emotional experience - and spending time with each one, contemplating it, examining it up close and from afar enhances the experience, as opposed to just glancing it as I’d walk by..

And, I think you’d agree....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Then your pilot was a pussy. Next time hire a graybeard Nam vet. Yippie Ki-Yay Motherfucker!
Because everything is related to Die Hard...

White Agent Johnson: “Just like fuckin' Saigon! Eh, Slick?”
Black Agent Johnson: “I was in junior high, dickhead...”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:
Man, why did you waste your money on a helicopter ride, when you could have just driven to a couple of overlooks and looked at the scenery??? :lol:
Last edited by pc in NM on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Because everything is related to Die Hard...

White Agent Johnson: “Just like fuckin' Saigon! Eh, Slick?”
Black Agent Johnson: “I was in junior high, dickhead...”
Or worse....Years ago I gave up searching for a clip of a hilarious young Vietnamese stand up comic who had a wicked combo delivery that melded the most intense scene of Deerhunter with "You pick color!!!" in a cheesy stripmall nail salon sketch, all put into perspective with something like "Don't ask me about the war Motherfucker I was a zygote!!!".

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Heading up north in the morning. We decided to just hang around the Page area. We will do SE Utah and SW Colorado later this year.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I bought a Coronado National Forest annual pass and am planning on taking full advantage of it. I usually get way out of shape in the summer because it's too hot to walk Tumamoc, but my goal is to break that pattern this year.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUCatFan wrote:I bought a Coronado National Forest annual pass and am planning on taking full advantage of it. I usually get way out of shape in the summer because it's too hot to walk Tumamoc, but my goal is to break that pattern this year.
Great idea. I'm about to opt in on my neighborhood swimming pool club so I can swim laps. Got too hot to do any exercise outdoors in Tucson except that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Getting all set and packed up to do a family road trip to Colorado. Durango / Silverton / Ourey and then to Flagstaff for a couple days.

Can't wait!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Walnut Canyon was awesome today.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Getting all set and packed up to do a family road trip to Colorado. Durango / Silverton / Ourey and then to Flagstaff for a couple days.

Can't wait!!!
We’re headed that route in July!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What a weekend. Drove up yesterday morning stopping at Walnut Canyon National Monument. What a great hike that is. After that we hit Sunset Crater and checked out the lava field the the Wupakti pueblos. Amazing stuff. This morning we took the Antelope Canyon tour and the pictures on the internet don't do it a bit of justice. Finished the day off with a picnic lunch at Horseshoe Bend and that was fantastic as well if not a bit crowded. What a nice 35 hours. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get them downloaded from my phone.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

And we also took a tour of Glen Canyon Dam.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's amazing how this thing can't be seen from above.

Last edited by azgreg on Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I was waiting for these yahoos to go over the side.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

azgreg wrote:What a weekend. Drove up yesterday morning stopping at Walnut Canyon National Monument. What a great hike that is. After that we hit Sunset Crater and checked out the lava field the the Wupakti pueblos. Amazing stuff. This morning we took the Antelope Canyon tour and the pictures on the internet don't do it a bit of justice. Finished the day off with a picnic lunch at Horseshoe Bend and that was fantastic as well if not a bit crowded. What a nice 35 hours. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get them downloaded from my phone.
Super cool Greg. Those ruins are amazing.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89 wrote:
azgreg wrote:What a weekend. Drove up yesterday morning stopping at Walnut Canyon National Monument. What a great hike that is. After that we hit Sunset Crater and checked out the lava field the the Wupakti pueblos. Amazing stuff. This morning we took the Antelope Canyon tour and the pictures on the internet don't do it a bit of justice. Finished the day off with a picnic lunch at Horseshoe Bend and that was fantastic as well if not a bit crowded. What a nice 35 hours. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get them downloaded from my phone.
Super cool Greg. Those ruins are amazing.
I still can't believe they'll let you walk inside the Wukoki Pueblo.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Awesome photos and sweet trip Greg! Thanks for sharing with us!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All those photos are spectacular.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I am jealous.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hiked a bit as a kid in the boy scouts etc. Now that I am committed to a fulfilling, crunchy, upper-middle class life in Tucson I have decided to get in shape again by learning to live the Tucson life and environment around me through hiking. I have some basic gear but will be starting with some very easy hikes due to my lack of ability.

Any pointers or recommendations? I have a basic kit with hiking shoes/socks/sun hat/lightweight backpack with bladder and first aid essentials currently. I want to start with easy 2ish mile hikes and progress from there.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Start with Tumamoc a couple times a week. It isn't really hiking, because it's paved, but it's a good workout and it's accessible. Once that gets easier for you, branch out, but Tumamoc is a great place to get in shape for real hiking.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ASUCatFan wrote:Start with Tumamoc a couple times a week. It isn't really hiking, because it's paved, but it's a good workout and it's accessible. Once that gets easier for you, branch out, but Tumamoc is a great place to get in shape for real hiking.
Thanks for echoing this. Heard it from 2 other people as well who recommended the paved part of tumamoc and sabino.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

scumdevils86 wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:Start with Tumamoc a couple times a week. It isn't really hiking, because it's paved, but it's a good workout and it's accessible. Once that gets easier for you, branch out, but Tumamoc is a great place to get in shape for real hiking.
Thanks for echoing this. Heard it from 2 other people as well who recommended the paved part of tumamoc and sabino.
Sabino is really nice too, but it isn't free. The Coronado National Forest annual pass is cheap, though, and it's totally worth it. It also gives you access to Mt. Lemmon for summer hiking.

Once you're in shape, hiking isn't hard. It's really just walking to cool places. make sure you have a solid set of hiking boots with good ankle support, though. I also always carry a good knife, a first aid kit, and water purification supplies with me in my pack.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ASUCatFan wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
Sabino is really nice too, but it isn't free. The Coronado National Forest annual pass is cheap, though, and it's totally worth it. It also gives you access to Mt. Lemmon for summer hiking.

Once you're in shape, hiking isn't hard. It's really just walking to cool places. make sure you have a solid set of hiking boots with good ankle support, though. I also always carry a good knife, a first aid kit, and water purification supplies with me in my pack.
This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. I'm unfortunately in the worst shape of my life but probably more motivated than ever. I have some pretty good boots with ankle support and have always had a decent first aid kit and knife/multi tool. I can't wait to get out and enjoy the environment around me I've ignored for 15 years
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Hiked a bit as a kid in the boy scouts etc. Now that I am committed to a fulfilling, crunchy, upper-middle class life in Tucson I have decided to get in shape again by learning to live the Tucson life and environment around me through hiking. I have some basic gear but will be starting with some very easy hikes due to my lack of ability.

Any pointers or recommendations? I have a basic kit with hiking shoes/socks/sun hat/lightweight backpack with bladder and first aid essentials currently. I want to start with easy 2ish mile hikes and progress from there.
Did you bail on becoming a cheesehead?

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here you go SD.

Arizona Winter Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge

https://sixpackofpeaks.com/arizona/" target="_blank
Register now for the Arizona Winter Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge!
The Arizona Six-Pack of Peaks Challenge™ brings people together around one goal: having fun hiking six iconic Arizona mountains between November 1st and April 30th.

Your hikes help make a difference, by helping underserved youth experience the wilderness through Big City Mountaineers.

Piestewa Peak
Camelback Mountain
Picacho Peak
Fremont Saddle
Wasson Peak
Flatiron
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Hiked a bit as a kid in the boy scouts etc. Now that I am committed to a fulfilling, crunchy, upper-middle class life in Tucson I have decided to get in shape again by learning to live the Tucson life and environment around me through hiking. I have some basic gear but will be starting with some very easy hikes due to my lack of ability.

Yup, staying in Tucson for the foreseeable future.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Good on ya Scum. Why not enjoy the beautiful outdoors we have in So Az.

The latest trend in hiking is lightweight shoes, studies by the US Military have shown that walking in heavy boots is like carrying a fuck ton of weight on your back. One pound of weight on your feet is like 20 on your back. I’ve been hiking in Tevas and Chacos out here for 25 yrs, Romero, Pima Canyon, Maiden Pools, you name it in hiking sandals.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Good on you scum!

Get in shape with step ups and step downs. You can get a step kit off amazon for 20. A few weeks before the start of my season pays dividends month down the line.

I like Salomon GTX boots, lightweight it rugged.

I avoid purification tabs, prefer to carry the MSR water purifying pump.

Lightweight and fits over the opening of a 1 liter nalgene.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Thanks for the info and stuff guys. I'm excited for a new chapter here. I love Tucson but have never truly embraced the outdoor world. We are going to be buying a house next year (required to have a large yard and pool to be able to have true outdoor living) and starting to try for kids so I am ready to put out the effort. I don't want to be a fat, lazy bitch when I have kids!

I am hoping these Columbia boots I got a decent deal on do well to start and if I really get into this I will gear up more. I'm starting from absolute ground zero so will need months (hopefully before it gets hot) to just get into a rhythm of exercise and being outdoors. I doubt I'll be tackling any intermediate level hikes for some time so I don't need anything extensive. Just the basics to adjust to the lifestyle.

Appreciate anything else you have to contribute!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

Yup, staying in Tucson for the foreseeable future.
Good to hear it. I hope the decision came freely without encumbrance and that it was what you wanted in the long run.

Otherwise, beware fluid loss, especially at higher elevation. Mere respiration has genuinely cumulative and lasting dehydrating effect. Stretch hip flexors afterward because what wyo said is soo true. Lifting a weighted leg is a torque-monster on the low back/hip flexors and it naturally translates into stress and tightness in the opposing muscle structures, namely the hamstrings/glutes.

Enjoy the endorphins. That's the good part.

~ Wilhoit's Law
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Thanks for the info and stuff guys. I'm excited for a new chapter here. I love Tucson but have never truly embraced the outdoor world. We are going to be buying a house next year (required to have a large yard and pool to be able to have true outdoor living) and starting to try for kids so I am ready to put out the effort. I don't want to be a fat, lazy bitch when I have kids!

I am hoping these Columbia boots I got a decent deal on do well to start and if I really get into this I will gear up more. I'm starting from absolute ground zero so will need months (hopefully before it gets hot) to just get into a rhythm of exercise and being outdoors. I doubt I'll be tackling any intermediate level hikes for some time so I don't need anything extensive. Just the basics to adjust to the lifestyle.

Those boots will be fine - just don't do anything epic right out of the box. Wear them around the house, on errands and such to start breaking them in. Shouldn't be too much work. I'm also a big fan of quality socks. Invest in some Smartwools or Wigwams - something with a little structure, cushion and that wicks moisture to help keep your feet dry and comfortable. They will get hot - especially in the desert. Check out Summit Hut, REI or Backcountry.com. For longer destination hikes, summiting a peak or the like - it's really nice to take off your boots, air out your feet and change to a fresh pair of socks. You'd be amazed what a refresher that is for your tired hot feet for the hike out/down, etc. Your feet take a beating - if you take of them, they'll take care of you . . .
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Thanks for the info and stuff guys. I'm excited for a new chapter here. I love Tucson but have never truly embraced the outdoor world. We are going to be buying a house next year (required to have a large yard and pool to be able to have true outdoor living) and starting to try for kids so I am ready to put out the effort. I don't want to be a fat, lazy bitch when I have kids!

Those boots will be fine - just don't do anything epic right out of the box. Wear them around the house, on errands and such to start breaking them in. Shouldn't be too much work. I'm also a big fan of quality socks. Invest in some Smartwools or Wigwams - something with a little structure, cushion and that wicks moisture to help keep your feet dry and comfortable. They will get hot - especially in the desert. Check out Summit Hut, REI or Backcountry.com. For longer destination hikes, summiting a peak or the like - it's really nice to take off your boots, air out your feet and change to a fresh pair of socks. You'd be amazed what a refresher that is for your tired hot feet for the hike out/down, etc. Your feet take a beating - if you take of them, they'll take care of you . . .
Appreciate it! And yea I'm in no way in good enough shape to try anything other than 2-4 mile easy rated hikes to start out. The boots aren't the best for sure but they are comfortable and durable and have good ankle support. The socks I got are a merino wool blend with some light cushion. Good idea on bringing an extra pair to swap out.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

As for hiking, and all it has to offer, AND getting in shape, I’d recommend you adopt some regimen for “getting in shape” (aerobic, strength, etc) independent of hiking. In my experience, hiking and exploring the outdoors (and you’re really fortunate to have Southern Arizona as your “backyard”) is a great way to enjoy and benefit from your “shape”, but probably not the best way to “ get in shape”.... Especially since good hikes usually take time and some planning, a more frequent, accessible, and less time-consuming regimen would be my recommendation.

Whatever, enjoy those trails when you can!!!

― Kinky Friedman
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea definitely. Wife convinced me to start at least a regular yoga regimen for stretching, flexibility, mindfulness etc to start out. Will see what works well for me after that.

I like being outdoors and at home doing stuff that doesn't feel like a chore. Running or going to a gym feels like a chore and I never stick with it long.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUCatFan wrote:Sabino is really nice too, but it isn't free.
Free if you park and hike north from here: 32.300705, -110.802361. Don't share with too many people as there are only 12 parking spots and its usually full. You do have to cross Bear Creek but its usually low enough you can cross on rocks. I've hiked thru knee high water from Canyon Ranch to the trailhead. Amazing hike when the water temp is nice. You need neoprene socks and canyoneering shoes for that though

Douglas Spring Trail (32.235204, -110.687002). Not too much elevation change, waterfalls and amazing views.

Catalina State Park is one of my favorites. Tons of trails. Just get an annual parks pass for this place alone. Jog on the road or dirt and get in shape and then start exploring

https://azstateparks.com/catalina/things-to-do/trails" target="_blank

Ventana Canyon Trailhead (32.327891, -110.852933) is tougher and you're in the wash for a lot of it. Then you start climbing. Amazing views of the city between the canyons.

Don't even think about doing Picacho yet. Im not in that great of shape but that was one of the toughest hikes I've done.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hiked the Black Rock loop in the Sweetwater Preserve yesterday and the easy paved part of Sabino Canyon today. It was fantastic. So excited to finally embrace what Tucson has to offer. My feet hurt but that was more exercise than I have had in a year probably. Loved it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You can walk up Sabino on the Phoneline trail and come back down on the pavement, or vice versa. During spring runoff when the pavement is underwater at creek crossings it's best to walk up canyon on Phoneline so you're only walking out with wet boots.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

3 year dream came true sat at 10:30.

Finally got to the top of Mt. Shasta.

It ruled

It was hard as hell.

I want to go back.

Pics forthcoming.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:3 year dream came true sat at 10:30.

Finally got to the top of Mt. Shasta.

It ruled

It was hard as hell.

I want to go back.

Pics forthcoming.
Right on CST! Congrats - that's a hell of an accomplishment! Looking forward to your photos and write up. Well done. Well done.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Been doing a lot of hiking and backpacking in Idaho's Sawtooth Wilderness this summer. Countless stunning peaks and high mountain lakes all throughout the Sawtooth range. Lots of quality time with my daughters too.