The Great Outdoors

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes BD 89!

This is a bucketlist place for me! Awesome photos!
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Yes BD 89!

Thank you! So many trails, peaks, lakes, loops, and options, plus the Boulder White Clouds are a whole 'nother range across the highway. Let me know if you ever want to discuss, I have a pretty good feel for the area - Stanley, Redfish Lake Lodge, etc. Going to get at least one more backpack in for Labor Day and then hopefully something a little more fall/3-seasonish in Sept/Oct. It's been really crowded this summer now that everyone's a Covid outdoorsman, but it should lighten up in the fall.

I've been watching a ton of YouTube in the Sierras lately. Really want to make time for the JMT or thereabouts one of these days . . .
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Now that's how you social distance! Looks great!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

BearDown89 wrote:

Thank you! So many trails, peaks, lakes, loops, and options, plus the Boulder White Clouds are a whole 'nother range across the highway. Let me know if you ever want to discuss, I have a pretty good feel for the area - Stanley, Redfish Lake Lodge, etc. Going to get at least one more backpack in for Labor Day and then hopefully something a little more fall/3-seasonish in Sept/Oct. It's been really crowded this summer now that everyone's a Covid outdoorsman, but it should lighten up in the fall.

I've been watching a ton of YouTube in the Sierras lately. Really want to make time for the JMT or thereabouts one of these days . . .
Wow, looks like some awesome hikes! You have any good 1 day hikes around here? We went to Bogus Basin but didn't find anything to inspiring. We did Mt Baldy in Ketchum a few years back.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Excellent! I hope to be visiting some high mountain lakes on the PCT here in the next couple of weeks.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I can almost smell that mountain air. Looks amazing
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

84Cat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:

Wow, looks like some awesome hikes! You have any good 1 day hikes around here? We went to Bogus Basin but didn't find anything to inspiring. We did Mt Baldy in Ketchum a few years back.
Have you hiked to Stack Rock? That's a good 9-10 mile out and back. Just past milepost 12(ish) on Bogus Basin Road. Parking area on the right side of road, cross BBR to the trail head that heads west.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

This has me missing my work years in the middle fork of the Boise. Gonna have to float the River of No Return again before I get too old.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

BearDown89 wrote:
84Cat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:

Have you hiked to Stack Rock? That's a good 9-10 mile out and back. Just past milepost 12(ish) on Bogus Basin Road. Parking area on the right side of road, cross BBR to the trail head that heads west.
I don't think so. I'll check it out
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Seriously looks amazing
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Planning a September trip through western Colorado roughly from Durango up to Dinosaur Nat. Monument. Anybody got suggestions?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Planning a September trip through western Colorado roughly from Durango up to Dinosaur Nat. Monument. Anybody got suggestions?
Maybe get over to Mesa Verde.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

azgreg wrote:Heading up north in the morning. We decided to just hang around the Page area. We will do SE Utah and SW Colorado later this year.
be alert to fires - at least two could affect the route (Pine Ridge & Grizzly Creek)

the first part through the San Juans is really awesome - high mountain roads and passes, and each town is worth a stop...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:Planning a September trip through western Colorado roughly from Durango up to Dinosaur Nat. Monument. Anybody got suggestions?
Maybe get over to Mesa Verde.
Did that and a bunch of stuff all around the Four Corners last year. Loved it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote:
azgreg wrote:Heading up north in the morning. We decided to just hang around the Page area. We will do SE Utah and SW Colorado later this year.
be alert to fires - at least two could affect the route (Pine Ridge & Grizzly Creek)

the first part through the San Juans is really awesome - high mountain roads and passes, and each town is worth a stop...
Thanks. I'll drill down into Pine Ridge & Grizzly Creek. For now I'm just considering the best road trip angles to take. Day hikes planning come later.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Thanks. I'll drill down into Pine Ridge & Grizzly Creek. For now I'm just considering the best road trip angles to take. Day hikes planning come later.
I shared that info BECAUSE of possible road closure/delay concerns....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Million Dollar Hwy between Silverton and Ouray is a must. Black Canyon of the Gunnison Natl Park and Crystal Mill if you head a little further east. Both amazing sights.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

pc in NM wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

I shared that info BECAUSE of possible road closure/delay concerns....

I-70 just recently reopened after being closed for around 2 weeks near Glenwood Springs because of the Grizzly Creek fire.

They are saying any rain whatsoever will cause mudslides and could cause another closure.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Another weekend backpacking in the White Clouds Wilderness near Stanley, Idaho. Weather was really unstable and obscured much of the sweeping views of this range, but it was still atmospheric and cool. Topped out and 10,107 feet at this high point on this ridge.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dude, that’s fucking amazing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:Dude, that’s fucking amazing.
Thanks Chi. Was up there with 4 kids half my age. Kicked my ass scrambling around after them. It's cliche, but these pics don't even begin . . .
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Already snow geez. Meanwhile still 100 in Tucson. Looks beautiful
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Already snow geez. Meanwhile still 100 in Tucson. Looks beautiful
Yup, seasons change fast up there. Stanley is 6,200 feet. This was my set up at the trailhead Friday night at 8,700 feet. It poured rain for hours and then by Saturday morning it turned to a wet snow. The tarp is for Jeep/car camping, but it's new so I set it up to check it out and provide some extra cover for my tiny backpacking tent so I'd have a place to hang out underneath. I wasn't careful when I took it down Saturday morning and the weight of the snow snapped both my trekking poles.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Thanks for posting those photos. Had some good times around there in the Sawtooths. Is that high peak in your pics Castle Peak?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

KaibabKat wrote:Thanks for posting those photos. Had some good times around there in the Sawtooths. Is that high peak in your pics Castle Peak?
You bet! No, that is just an unnamed peak at 10,600 feet to the southwest of Castle Peak - not far away though. I'm looking southwesterly there so Castle Peak is to my left and back towards me. In fact, Castle Peak is on the same ridgeline that I'm climbing in the pics, but farther to the east and separated by another 4 or 5 peaks in between. If not for the weather, I would've had 360 degree views of the whole range, including Castle Peak, and would've taken some pics for sure. It was under clouds.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

She fought a goddamn bear...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Don't fuck with my dogs.....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Heading up to Montezuma Castle National Park tomorrow for a day trip.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 pm Heading up to Montezuma Castle National Park tomorrow for a day trip.
Weather should be perfect. Go to old town Cottonwood for pizza at Bocce or a brisket cheesesteak sammy at Colt BBQ.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:33 pm Heading up to Montezuma Castle National Park tomorrow for a day trip.
Also (since you're kind of a gear head iirc) Jerome is having a VW van jamboree.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I remember going to Montezuma's castle in about 1995 or so and observing German tourists for the first time. A busload of them got out at the castle and I just remember them all wearing sandals with socks and crowding around a prickly pear and taking dozens of pictures with it.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 pm
Also (since you're kind of a gear head iirc) Jerome is having a VW van jamboree.
Mrs azgreg says hard pass.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Nice. I took my kids there last week on the way back from Sedona.
I took the kids hiking last week at West Fork in Sedona. It's a great hike for kids as it isn't too difficult and you cross the creek a bunch of times.
Stopped at Butterfly Burger in Village of Oak Creek on our way out. That is our favorite burger spot.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Montezuma Castle

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Montezuma Well

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

V Bar V Heritage Site