Financial/stock market advice

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

waysouthcat

Financial/stock market advice

Post by waysouthcat »

I am looking to start diversifying from mortgage slave to investing across a range of areas. What I am seeking is any general advice on sources of information or research into choosing shares, bonds, etc wisely. Not looking for stock tips, just people or companies whose research and advice is well regarded.

For example, I am interested in blue chip stocks which pay consistent dividends, who are good sources of info for choosing one?
UALoco

Re: Financial/stock market advice

Post by UALoco »

Jim Cramer
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Does anyone have experience buying Treasuries off the Treasury website? Does anyone have experience buying Arizona muni bonds? I'm keen to lock in some yield, and while CDs might be just the ticket, I'm curious. Anybody?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Check I Bonds. Can only buy them through the government site and you are limited to 10k a year per individual but the yield is very attractive.

Fed rates will probably rise for a bit more but at some point we will see those rates cut so a bond rally should be seen before long.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:17 pm Check I Bonds. Can only buy them through the government site and you are limited to 10k a year per individual but the yield is very attractive.

Fed rates will probably rise for a bit more but at some point we will see those rates cut so a bond rally should be seen before long.
I Bonds would be perfect but for the 10K limit. They'd be too good to be true otherwise. Yeah, there has to be a bond rally eventually.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I heard it’s gonna be a bump of 50 bps next month with one more later.

That’s still a full 1% bump in rates this year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The feds goal of getting back to 2% inflation is unattainable IMO. They have a real balancing act moving forward and it won’t be fun.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:22 am The feds goal of getting back to 2% inflation is unattainable IMO. They have a real balancing act moving forward and it won’t be fun.
I agree. The 2% figure strikes me as recency-biased assumed input academic economists insist on in modeling. I figure we have a couple of months if not quarters before they encounter a tangible input forced upon them by the real economy, and then we'll see what's what.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I think we should all guilt-trip Scum86 into giving the BDW community special promotional CDs with high rates with flexible terms. 5% APY sounds good right about now.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:53 am I think we should all guilt-trip Scum86 into giving the BDW community special promotional CDs with high rates with flexible terms. 5% APY sounds good right about now.
My credit union up here in Boise has a 18 month 5.1% cd.

Capital One has a 11 month 5% cd

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/cds/cd-rates/
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:58 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:53 am I think we should all guilt-trip Scum86 into giving the BDW community special promotional CDs with high rates with flexible terms. 5% APY sounds good right about now.
My credit union up here in Boise has a 18 month 5.1% cd. Capital One has a 11 month 5% cd

Yeah, I've been looking at the BMO Harris rate. They have a branch in PHX. My wife is a brick and mortar gal (sigh).

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:07 am
84Cat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:58 am
My credit union up here in Boise has a 18 month 5.1% cd. Capital One has a 11 month 5% cd

Yeah, I've been looking at the BMO Harris rate. They have a branch in PHX. My wife is a brick and mortar gal (sigh).
My wife has no idea where our money is :lol:
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

The Bank run on SIVB really really sucks. Huge loss for the innovation ecosystem in the US.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Cramer was hyping it up like a month ago. Damn.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

wyo-cat wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:28 pm Cramer was hyping it up like a month ago. Damn.
lol - the Cramer-curse continues.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

My brother works or I guess worked for SVB. Crazy couple days.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Lando05 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:42 pm My brother works or I guess worked for SVB. Crazy couple days.
Ouch

~ Wilhoit's Law