President Bobby Robbins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

President Bobby Robbins

Post by Newportcat »

He needs his own thread and just not sure where it goes. I really do not know if people realize how lucky we are to have him as our president. I was fortunate to meet him and hear him speak and the guy is a total stud. Came across so well and someone who seemed like a natural leader. He actually took a pay cut to become the U of A president but felt it was his calling to become a president of a major university.

I hope we keep him a while. Clear he has Sean Miller's back too

When Miller addressed the crowd at McKale on Saturday, at the end he specifically called out Bobby (Who mind you has sat front row I think for every game even bringing guys like Khalil Tate and Colin Schooler to sit with him) for his support. Without Bobby Robbins support, Sean Miller is not our coach right now.

Sorry for the love fest just after the past two U of A presidents, its refreshing to have someone like Bobby leading our school. Short video on him below and see what he says are the goals of the U of A...last one I think we will all really like!

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/n ... university
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Longhorned

Re: President Bobby Robbins

Post by Longhorned »

heart surgeon
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Exactly

Bad ass. I want to know when and how he made the jump from practice to adminstrstion of an top 100 university.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Robbins deserves a lot of credit for being very pragmatic during this whole episode. He hasn't caved to the witch hunt mentality. He's been very supportive. And if evidence is revealed that Sean Miller is deserving of being fired, then Robbins will take appropriate action. But he's not reactionary. And in this day and age, that's very refreshing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One of the things he really did right is understanding how much time he actually had, which is rare in this sort of situation. Too many people immediately rush a decision to look strong and wind up just reacting to public pressure.

Just by taking a few days to let more facts and information emerge, the situation shifted really dramatically. Being patient was one really, really beneficial thing. The entire situation would have been so much different if he'd jumped the gun and it would have inflicted damage that couldn't be walked back.
520in480

Post by 520in480 »

zonagrad wrote:Robbins deserves a lot of credit for being very pragmatic during this whole episode. He hasn't caved to the witch hunt mentality. He's been very supportive. And if evidence is revealed that Sean Miller is deserving of being fired, then Robbins will take appropriate action. But he's not reactionary. And in this day and age, that's very refreshing.
This x 100
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Greatest President in the history of the U of A for athletics so far times 10000....given all the crap our athletic department has gone through I sleep well at night knowing Robbins is our President.
DkuruptCAT

Post by DkuruptCAT »

He kills it here
https://youtu.be/QZRseKfXegs" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Met Bobby again today. What a great and personable guy. Didn’t get to get into much sports discussion with him but guy just seems like a breath of fresh air and very down to earth.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This is a great listen. Dr. Robbins is awesome. Some UofA love from Rome too.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That was pretty damn cool!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Dr. Robbins is giving a talk in Phoenix on the 17th of January about the future innovation stuff he talked to Rome about and then he is showing the game vs Oregon on a IMAX screen. Pretty freaking cool.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PHXCATS wrote:Dr. Robbins is giving a talk in Phoenix on the 17th of January about the future innovation stuff he talked to Rome about and then he is showing the game vs Oregon on a IMAX screen. Pretty freaking cool.
Keep him in check
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The lone highlight of the season. Someone should yell, what,about the ASSU game
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:The lone highlight of the season. Someone should yell, what,about the ASSU game
The game is the Oregon Basketball game. It will be shown live
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:The lone highlight of the season. Someone should yell, what,about the ASSU game
The game is the Oregon Basketball game. It will be shown live
I told you guys, Dr Robbins is the man. That was a great sales pitch
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UA president hired friend for $850k job despite searcher's misgivings, legal claim says

https://tucson.com/news/local/ua-presid ... op-story-1
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol...what has happened to our school over the past 10years...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Lol...what has happened to our school over the past 10years...
I wouldn't worry about this one.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fair enough, just seems that all levels of leadership from president to AD to coaches have been seriously suspect for a good while now.

Just give me a nice 5year period of no drama.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

After what happened to the former president Ann Hart, you would think he would be smart enough to know that his actions would be scrutinized.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

One of the many reasons they can’t pay adjuncts a living wage. :roll:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just my opinion, but Robbins is done.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Lol...what has happened to our school over the past 10years...
Longhorned wrote:Just my opinion, but Robbins is done.
interesting divergence in takes here
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Robbins also has a piss poor record of hiring women into leadership positions at the UofA
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Choo can clarify, but I don't think that's what he means by not worrying about this one. It's like Bob Dillon: Head on down the road, but don't think twice, it's alright.

I wouldn't worry about this one, either.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Choo can clarify, but I don't think that's what he means by not worrying about this one. It's like Bob Dillon: Head on down the road, but don't think twice, it's alright.

I wouldn't worry about this one, either.
There are some things in regards to Robbins where I wouldn't be surprised if his time was up quicker than we expected, but this particular situation is literally a nothing burger.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Bad hires that gowere made against the search committee and then go horribly wrong (especially with gay-bashing and anti-LGBT discrimination) probably don't go over too well in contemporary academia, eh?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
Bad hires that gowere made against the search committee and then go horribly wrong (especially with gay-bashing and anti-LGBT discrimination) probably don't go over too well in contemporary academia, eh?
Problem is you actually need proof.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Problem is you actually need proof.
It's not like anti_LGBT is not already an issue at the U of A Medical school...
Chairman of UA's anesthesiology department steps down over leadership concerns

https://tucson.com/news/local/chairman- ... ea4a7.html" target="_blank

The chairman of the UA’s Department of Anesthesiology stepped down from his position last week following concerns about his leadership style and claims that he acted aggressively toward subordinates.

Several employees also said they were concerned about Dr. Randal Dull’s negative opinion toward the LGBTQ community, which included a letter he wrote to a newspaper complaining about coverage of an LGBTQ center.
...........................................................................................

Dull wrote the letter to the editor to the Park City Record in January 2004 titled “Keep the queers off the front page.” His letter was in response to a previous edition of the newspaper that featured a story about The Queer Lounge, which served as a gathering spot for the LGBTQ community during the city’s annual Sundance Film Festival.

In response to that story, Dull wrote “I am, of course, referring to the front-page article on the new homosexual hangout here in Park City to give perverts and other degenerates a place to ‘network’ during the local filth festival.” He went on to write that the “promotion of homosexuality, bisexual confusion and other degeneracy cannot be tolerated.”
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
Robbins lost the good will of the faculty before this happened.

It's okay. Administrators come and go.
Last edited by Longhorned on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Were this involving any other minority, Robbins would be done. This is Arizona...a red state. Gay people are, sadly, soon to be expendable. As a member of that community, you can bet I’ll be seeking legal counsel to get out of my contractual giving promises to the university if this issue is not addressed loudly with haste within the Tucson community. I will, for certain, happily March up to Robbins at a tailgate and ask if he wants my rainbow colored money.
prh

Post by prh »

Could someone help explain something, which the article didn't.

It sounds like Dake fired the guy because he was married to someone on the search committee who opposed him, as retribution. Would this have been any different if the search committee member was a wife instead of husband? I would imagine the outcome would be the same. Even the article made it sound like it was more retribution than discrimination. So I'm wondering what I am missing here?
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

prh wrote:Could someone help explain something, which the article didn't.

It sounds like Dake fired the guy because he was married to someone on the search committee who opposed him, as retribution. Would this have been any different if the search committee member was a wife instead of husband? I would imagine the outcome would be the same. Even the article made it sound like it was more retribution than discrimination. So I'm wondering what I am missing here?
I believe you are correct. Were it all straight people involved, it would and should still be an issue of retribution. I’m here to tell you, the fact is gay people are involved makes that a mitigating factor in this state. Meaning it will likely get swept under a money filled rug. I won’t forget though. My season tickets just went bye, bye.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Moreover, Wildcat Club people reading this (and I know you do), expect a call.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Are you suggesting one is less culpable than the other????

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The Daily Star viewed the claim and doesn't detail the basis for discrimination, so you're not missing anything. It's not detailed in the claim.
prh

Post by prh »

pc in NM wrote:

Are you suggesting one is less culpable than the other????
Not at all, I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind the discrimination portion of the claim.
Siempre Verde wrote:
prh wrote:Could someone help explain something, which the article didn't. Siempre Verde's answer is pretty much what I was looking for.

I believe you are correct. Were it all straight people involved, it would and should still be an issue of retribution. I’m here to tell you, the fact is gay people are involved makes that a mitigating factor in this state. Meaning it will likely get swept under a money filled rug. I won’t forget though. My season tickets just went bye, bye.
Got it, thank you for responding.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I doubt Robbins gets the job, but you never know.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:I doubt Robbins gets the job, but you never know.
He's not long for the job here so who knows.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
No one in a management position is quite frankly.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
^^^^^I notice fewer and fewer academics leading academic institutions^^^^^

Makes you wonder when exactly the shift came from being educational institutions to student athlete entertainment industrial complexes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Makes you wonder when exactly the shift came from being educational institutions to student athlete entertainment industrial complexes.
You can't count on the $ being there today. You need a half decent fundraiser to make yourself competitive, not an academic.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Don't you mean "No white men in management positions"? Oh wait... same thing.... nevermind.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How is Robbins not an academic?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

????

Robbin's publications include more than 300 peer-reviewed journal articles, spanning a variety of research topics including the investigation of stem cells for cardiac regeneration, cardiac transplant allograft vasculopathy, bioengineered blood vessels, and automated vascular anastomotic device

― Kinky Friedman
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I was speaking to the trend to replace guys like Robbins for guys like used car salesmen...fund raisers...which is really odd considering that universities are non-profits that make a TON of money...

No one would have to fundraise a dime if Universities got paid the interest off of student loans...THAT debt could power innovation AND waste.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I had to let Booby know how things are going...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I posted this in the Heeke thread, but it's probably more fitting here. Read about the job the chancellor of nebraska did and tell me if you see a similarity with Robbins.

https://dennispcrawford.medium.com/this ... cec1d47c2a