President Bobby Robbins

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: President Bobby Robbins

Post by UAEebs86 »

So has basketball gone from "A Players Program" to "A President's Program"?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 am So has basketball gone from "A Players Program" to "A President's Program"?
The entire university is "A President's Playground."
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

His shaky ass voice didn’t even pronounce Aari’s name right at the presser.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 am So has basketball gone from "A Players Program" to "A President's Program"?
We were a Player's Program, until President Robbins got involved
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't know about you guys, but Schnebly and I both found something really off in his delivery today. I mean in a way that would be meaningful if a medical professional thought the same thing.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:44 pm I don't know about you guys, but Schnebly and I both found something really off in his delivery today. I mean in a way that would be meaningful if a medical professional thought the same thing.
I thought that at the celebration for the women - he seemed off, and then today seemed worse. I am not a medical professional, but the last 10 years or so that my dad was alive, he suffered TIA’s, and (GOD My dad was NOTHING like Robbins) I saw something in his affect that really reminded me of Dad after a TIA.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:44 pm I don't know about you guys, but Schnebly and I both found something really off in his delivery today. I mean in a way that would be meaningful if a medical professional thought the same thing.
It is in his speech. Sounds almost like a minor stroke. Made a comment about the same thing a week ago.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm sorry about your dad, ekat. I sincerely hope he's healthy and well and thriving, and I'm the one that's off.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:43 pm I'm sorry about your dad, ekat. I sincerely hope he's healthy and well and thriving, and I'm the one that's off.
Thank you.

I don’t wish illness on anyone but I think you’re right that something is off with Robbins.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Man it is a mindfuck to start on the first page of this this thread to where we are now. Just trippy.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
prh

Post by prh »

I just told some poor pre-business freshman girl making alumni cold calls that I would not be donating to the university and in particular some student services specifically because of Robbins

That was incredibly painful. Fuck this guy
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

prh wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 pm I just told some poor pre-business freshman girl making alumni cold calls that I would not be donating to the university and in particular some student services specifically because of Robbins

Yep. I took one of those calls (which I get maybe twice a year) literally two days after Miller was fired. I vented on the sophomore student who was very kind -- and let her know it was nothing personal. And she said everyone she had spoken to had the same sentiments about the administration. I just wonder if the anger is falling on deaf ears.
prh

Post by prh »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:03 pm
prh wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 pm I just told some poor pre-business freshman girl making alumni cold calls that I would not be donating to the university and in particular some student services specifically because of Robbins

Yep. I took one of those calls (which I get maybe twice a year) literally two days after Miller was fired. I vented on the sophomore student who was very kind -- and let her know it was nothing personal. And she said everyone she had spoken to had the same sentiments about the administration. I just wonder if the anger is falling on deaf ears.
I asked if there's notes about it and she said yes and entered it in for me. And it would be gross incompetence if the alumni association didn't have a tool that analyzed notes from the "No" calls to find reasons why. As a software developer, sentiment analysis is very advanced, and doing some automated analysis would be incredibly easy and worthwhile.

I think the bigger problem is that the $$$ they miss out on from people they cold call will probably never approach the cost from even a single rich donor, so what's the point?

I learned there's a new thing on campus, more or less a food pantry that's in the student union. No cost basic goods for students in need. Serving 800 a week this year, up from 500 last year when they started.

I asked her to call me back in week because I would like to donate to my great university.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

prh wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 pm

I asked if there's notes about it and she said yes and entered it in for me. And it would be gross incompetence if the alumni association didn't have a tool that analyzed notes from the "No" calls to find reasons why. As a software developer, sentiment analysis is very advanced, and doing some automated analysis would be incredibly easy and worthwhile.

I think the bigger problem is that the $$$ they miss out on from people they cold call will probably never approach the cost from even a single rich donor, so what's the point?

I learned there's a new thing on campus, more or less a food pantry that's in the student union. No cost basic goods for students in need. Serving 800 a week this year, up from 500 last year when they started.

I asked her to call me back in week because I would like to donate to my great university.
So many U of A students depend on the food pantry. And it isn't enough - they're still hungry. That's where I give.

When the president recently took an enormous bonus during the employee furlough, the employees asked him to donate it to the food pantry. Nope.

https://campuspantry.arizona.edu/
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

What a douchebag
-JB
ekat

Post by ekat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm
prh wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 pm

So many U of A students depend on the food pantry. And it isn't enough - they're still hungry. That's where I give.

When the president recently took an enormous bonus during the employee furlough, the employees asked him to donate it to the food pantry. Nope.

https://campuspantry.arizona.edu/
Thank you for that link. That’s a cause I can get behind.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That is a good cause. People don't realize that not everyone that goes to the UA is a rich frat kid from Socal or Naperville driving a Mercedes. Plenty of students dealing with hunger.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
prh

Post by prh »

If anyone donates to Campus Pantry, I'd love to let the girl who called me know when she calls me back next week (hope she does). That would be really cool actually.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 pm That is a good cause. People don't realize that not everyone that goes to the UA is a rich frat kid from Socal or Naperville driving a Mercedes. Plenty of students dealing with hunger.
I used to eat oranges from the trees there, chew on rosemary from the landscaping to stave off hunger and take honey packets from the cafeteria to make simple bread and honey sandwiches.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I know when I was a sophomore working at the umart in the student union most of the food I ever ate was salads and bread and other random crap made by the university that would have been thrown out the next day for new food.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 pm That is a good cause. People don't realize that not everyone that goes to the UA is a rich frat kid from Socal or Naperville driving a Mercedes. Plenty of students dealing with hunger.
Cal Poly also has a food pantry for students, staff too for that matter.

Think they found at that 25% of students there suffer from food anxiety. I know from first hand experience, I was an extremely poor student when I went to the UA. Lots of 4 for a buck generic mac and cheese.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Think they found at that 25% of students there suffer from food anxiety. I know from first hand experience, I was an extremely poor student when I went to the UA. Lots of 4 for a buck generic mac and cheese.
Yeah, U of A's is for staff, too. Or really anyone with a CatCard. No questions asked.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Soledad O'Brien did a report on hunger on campus that was incredibly informative and eye-opening:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:44 pm I know from first hand experience, I was an extremely poor student when I went to the UA. Lots of 4 for a buck generic mac and cheese.
Same Merk. I used to love me some Rice a Roni too; always on sale at the Albertsons on Campbell. Was probably 75% of my sophomore year food source. I very rarely ate on campus.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Ramen and potatoes as well. I also bought food stamps ($1 for $2 worth) from guys who wanted cig and beer money. I gave plasma at that center on 6th as well.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And you didn't go to school when in-state tuition was like $6000-7000 a semester like kids now
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:35 pm And you didn't go to school when in-state tuition was like $6000-7000 a semester like kids now
Nope, $333 a semester, although books were still extremely expensive even back then. I lived on $342 a month under the GI Bill and working full time during the summer. Eventually had to get a job evenings to make ends meet. Worked for the Jensens, who had the biggest gun shop in town at the time as a computer operator. Think I made $3.40 an hour.

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 pm I gave plasma at that center on 6th as well.
Same, think I was paid $15.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I still can't believe professors make students pay for those ridiculously expensive textbooks. One of the worst aspects of academic capitalism, and it only benefits the educational publishing racket. Worse, some professors become a part of that racket by writing those stupid textbooks.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 pm I still can't believe professors make students pay for those ridiculously expensive textbooks. One of the worst aspects of academic capitalism, and it only benefits the educational publishing racket. Worse, some professors become a part of that racket by writing those stupid textbooks.
I remember making it through a course without a textbook because I refused to spend that much beer money on it. I got a C.

And Cs get degrees.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I think this thread is going off the rails...let me correct it.

Fuck President Robbins.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 pm I still can't believe professors make students pay for those ridiculously expensive textbooks. One of the worst aspects of academic capitalism, and it only benefits the educational publishing racket. Worse, some professors become a part of that racket by writing those stupid textbooks.
Had many at the UA who write the textbooks themselves and forced students to buy it.

True story: I used to teach COBOL programming at Cal Poly many years ago, and I have no advanced degree.

The textbook sales people were all very attractive females and I imagine they still are. But I truly did select the best textbook which could be used as reference later.

The best thing I remember about that class were the attractive college women with their short shorts on sitting in their desks. And office hours with them flirting with me for a good grade.

Should have gone to grad school.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:46 pm
ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:35 pm And you didn't go to school when in-state tuition was like $6000-7000 a semester like kids now
Nope, $333 a semester, although books were still extremely expensive even back then. I lived on $342 a month under the GI Bill and working full time during the summer. Eventually had to get a job evenings to make ends meet. Worked for the Jensens, who had the biggest gun shop in town at the time as a computer operator. Think I made $3.40 an hour.

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 pm I gave plasma at that center on 6th as well.
Merk remember Diane Jenson? You work in the gun store on Pima? What work well for me was ketchup packs and hot water....presto tomato soup.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm
Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Merk remember Diane Jenson? You work in the gun store on Pima? What work well for me was ketchup packs and hot water....presto tomato soup.
I remember a few of the kids, mainly the oldest son and his wife. Forget their names. She was really attractive and worked in the office.

I worked on the warehouse on E. Beverly although I knew many of the gun shop employees. Very nice family, but once the kids took over the business they decided they would rather going hunting instead of being business people.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

We used to go to the Jensen's range when I was in HS with my mostly LDS friends (I was the atheist oddball of the group).
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thinking about it, I think what happened was the Jensens invested a million dollars in Chinese SKSs, which they sold for $99 in cosmoline. Then the assault weapon ban happened, and the arms were stuck offshore.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’d love to find a $99 sks these days.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:44 pm I’d love to find a $99 sks these days.
It wasn't that long ago, maybe 10-12 years, that Big 5 used to selling Russian 7.62x54R Mausers for $70-$80, and the Turkish versions even cheaper. Back then you could be huge tins of corrosive military ammo from Eastern Europe countries for dirt cheap.

But now supplies of both are gone. UA president got involved.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Of all the people directly named for violations in the NCAA Notice of Allegations, only one is still employed by the University of Arizona. That person is President Robbins.
ekat

Post by ekat »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am Of all the people directly named for violations in the NCAA Notice of Allegations, only one is still employed by the University of Arizona. That person is President Robbins.
The “director of athletics and head of compliance” is also named in a separate aggravating factor. He’s still employed by the U of A, as are Head swimming coach Augie Bush and Dwight Dumais, who have their own violations to deal with. Robbins purged Men’s basketball but everyone forgets the swim team was the 5th Level 1 and a couple of the Level 2’s.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ekat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:19 am
zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am Of all the people directly named for violations in the NCAA Notice of Allegations, only one is still employed by the University of Arizona. That person is President Robbins.
The “director of athletics and head of compliance” is also named in a separate aggravating factor. He’s still employed by the U of A, as are Head swimming coach Augie Bush and Dwight Dumais, who have their own violations to deal with. Robbins purged Men’s basketball but everyone forgets the swim team was the 5th Level 1 and a couple of the Level 2’s.
Both Dumais and Busch were Robbins/Heeke hires. Crazy how Robbins's boys don't take a fall for violations but Miller gets a target on his back.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:24 am
Both Dumais and Busch were Robbins/Heeke hires. Crazy how Robbins's boys don't take a fall for violations but Miller gets a target on his back.
EXACTLY! Hypocritical at best.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ekat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:35 am
It's why I'm so out of Arizona Athletics until Robbins and Heeke are gone.

Heeke--Robbins's guy, protected.
Busch--Robbins's guy, protected.
Dumais--Robbins's guy, protected.
Fisch--Robbins's guy.
Lloyd--Robbins's guy.

It's a diseased culture of only people Robbins can claim as his and/or manipulate that are protected.

It isn't a slam on Fisch or Lloyd. It's Robbins and Heeke.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 am

Fisch--Robbins's guy.
Lloyd--Robbins's guy.

It's a diseased culture of only people Robbins can claim as his and/or manipulate that are protected.

It’s something I struggle with. I can’t support Robbins on any level or Heeke as his puppet. But man, my life since Snowden has revolved in many ways around U of A sports. My mom thought, as kids, we needed to know and love football, baseball, basketball, and my dad thought she was hilarious. So we learned early on to hate assu. We learned we got to stay up late to watch the tape delayed broadcasts of games. We learned how to schedule social events around the sports schedules. We learned the fine art of listening to radio broadcasts back when televised games were about as accessible as the PAC 12 network is now. And we learned that there was exactly one school she would help us get degrees from. I know she would hate this administration more than I do, but it’s hard to just walk away.

I hate every bit of how we ended up with Fisch and Lloyd, but I am curious if either of them can put a product on the field or court that is worth watching. I’m curious if they can reach the kids that are wearing the uniforms. Will they leave here talking about Lloyd the way TJ talks about Miller?

Can I hate the hires, give no more money to athletics, but still watch the games and not feel bad? That’s where I’m stuck. It’s a dilemma.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Robbins and Heeke are small potatoes. Supporting Arizona Athletics won't help them keep their jobs. Administrators come and go, and the tradition transcends them. In fact, most of the component parts that comprise the tradition are much, much bigger than Robbins and Heeke. Forget comparing Lute Olson to Robbins and Heeke. Tom Tolbert alone far outweighs Robbins and Heeke. Hell, Fil Torres far outweighs Robbins and Heeke. Like zonagrad said, Lloyd could be a great hire, but it's because it's not because of Robbins and Heeke. It's because they had the keys to the Ferrari, i.e., the tradition.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

ekat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:12 am

Fisch--Robbins's guy.
Lloyd--Robbins's guy.

It’s something I struggle with. I can’t support Robbins on any level or Heeke as his puppet. But man, my life since Snowden has revolved in many ways around U of A sports. My mom thought, as kids, we needed to know and love football, baseball, basketball, and my dad thought she was hilarious. So we learned early on to hate assu. We learned we got to stay up late to watch the tape delayed broadcasts of games. We learned how to schedule social events around the sports schedules. We learned the fine art of listening to radio broadcasts back when televised games were about as accessible as the PAC 12 network is now. And we learned that there was exactly one school she would help us get degrees from. I know she would hate this administration more than I do, but it’s hard to just walk away.

I hate every bit of how we ended up with Fisch and Lloyd, but I am curious if either of them can put a product on the field or court that is worth watching. I’m curious if they can reach the kids that are wearing the uniforms. Will they leave here talking about Lloyd the way TJ talks about Miller?

Can I hate the hires, give no more money to athletics, but still watch the games and not feel bad? That’s where I’m stuck. It’s a dilemma.
I don't have any issue with Fisch or Lloyd, beyond the shady way they were hired. But here is my problem ---- the more successful they are, the more it will inflate Robbins' already outsized ego. So how long before other coaches just aren't winning enough and get shitcanned for a friend of Robbins? Candrea? Lopez? Jim Anderson? Tony Amato? Even Adia Barnes? In other words, it seems the more successful Fisch and Lloyd are, the less likely we will be rid of Robbins and Heeke.

So I just can not bring myself to support UA sports at all, until thos two are gone.
ekat

Post by ekat »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:33 am
ekat wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:12 am

Fisch--Robbins's guy.
Lloyd--Robbins's guy.

I don't have any issue with Fisch or Lloyd, beyond the shady way they were hired. But here is my problem ---- the more successful they are, the more it will inflate Robbins' already outsized ego. So how long before other coaches just aren't winning enough and get shitcanned for a friend of Robbins? Candrea? Lopez? Jim Anderson? Tony Amato? Even Adia Barnes? In other words, it seems the more successful Fisch and Lloyd are, the less likely we will be rid of Robbins and Heeke.

So I just can not bring myself to support UA sports at all, until thos two are gone.
That is the crux of my dilemma. I don’t want Robbins to succeed but my heart can’t root against the kids that choose to come here and rep my university. It just feels crappy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 am Robbins and Heeke are small potatoes. Supporting Arizona Athletics won't help them keep their jobs. Administrators come and go, and the tradition transcends them. In fact, most of the component parts that comprise the tradition are much, much bigger than Robbins and Heeke. Forget comparing Lute Olson to Robbins and Heeke. Tom Tolbert alone far outweighs Robbins and Heeke. Hell, Fil Torres far outweighs Robbins and Heeke. Like zonagrad said, Lloyd could be a great hire, but it's because it's not because of Robbins and Heeke. It's because they had the keys to the Ferrari, i.e., the tradition.
As someone who is on board with Ekat and BBQ, it's more just that I feel wrong supporting athletics when I know that indirectly supports Robbins.

On no level do I think I have any impact. If the U of A considered me important, I'd be shocked. I sent an email to Heeke the day after Miller's firing, have received no response and expect no response because I don't think I matter.

Of all the shots I'll throw at Robbins, I won't criticize him for me being meaningless. I'm an 07 Arizona JD, but there are literally probably hundreds of thousands of alums like me. I know my role.

It's just that it doesn't feel right. I know it doesn't move the needle. Robbins's reign just stinks to high heaven in so many ways. He's the college equivalent of Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones and his management on the academic side is no better.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He isn't a growing tyrant. He's a last-gasp administrator who's overplayed his hand too many times. He's been caught too many times. One of the good things for him about firing Miller is that it appeased the faculty, who are putting a ton of pressure on him. Presidents in this era don't last long, but even if he could swim upstream (which he can't), success in basketball and football would result in pay incentives and retention issues that would increase the pressure from the faculty and the union, who want to de-prioritize sports. For university presidents, it's often the cure that kills you.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:56 am He isn't a growing tyrant. He's a last-gasp administrator who's overplayed his hand too many times. He's been caught too many times. One of the good things for him about firing Miller is that it appeased the faculty, who are putting a ton of pressure on him. Presidents in this era don't last long, but even if he could swim upstream (which he can't), success in basketball and football would result in pay incentives and retention issues that would increase the pressure from the faculty and the union, who want to de-prioritize sports. For university presidents, it's often the cure that kills you.

Is there any chance his contract gets extended?
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:56 am He isn't a growing tyrant. He's a last-gasp administrator who's overplayed his hand too many times. He's been caught too many times. One of the good things for him about firing Miller is that it appeased the faculty, who are putting a ton of pressure on him. Presidents in this era don't last long, but even if he could swim upstream (which he can't), success in basketball and football would result in pay incentives and retention issues that would increase the pressure from the faculty and the union, who want to de-prioritize sports. For university presidents, it's often the cure that kills you.
I hope he's out. When he leaves, I feel I can support the U of A and athletics again.

Even though I'm unhappy about how he screwed Sean Miller, I don't see myself holding that against Lloyd. Fisch is a crony hire, but my standard for an Arizona FB coach is +.500 records without massive public embarassment, so it isn't like I can pretend I'm not slumming it to begin with.

Per our motherf***er conversation yesterday, my feelings on Robbins are simple. That motherf***er needs to go.