Cutting the Cord - TV

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cpt

Cutting the Cord - TV

Post by cpt »

So with my new house that we will hopefully be moving in next month (still have to sell ours), I would like to get rid of Cox cable and its $300 tv-internet-phone bundle bill. Lose the TV and the land line (I know what took so long) and just go with fast Internet, Netflix, HBOGo and some form of ala carte system like YouTube or Sling or whatever.

I am interested in seeing what configuration everyone has and how much it costs - and what I would need to do it.

Priorities are basic local channels, sports, news and some middle tier cable channels - FoodNetwork, HGTV, Nick, etc.

Any ideas much appreciated.
azgreg

Re: Cutting the Cord - TV

Post by azgreg »

cpt wrote:So with my new house that we will hopefully be moving in next month (still have to sell ours), I would like to get rid of Cox cable and its $300 tv-internet-phone bundle bill. Lose the TV and the land line (I know what took so long) and just go with fast Internet, Netflix, HBOGo and some form of ala carte system like YouTube or Sling or whatever.

I am interested in seeing what configuration everyone has and how much it costs - and what I would need to do it.

Priorities are basic local channels, sports, news and some middle tier cable channels - FoodNetwork, HGTV, Nick, etc.

I have COX internet preferred at $83, Sling (blue and orange with the sports add on for $50, Netflix, Amazon prime with Starz add on, and Hulu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I have Cox at $93 a month for the 150 mbps and Amazon, Netflix and PlayStation Vue which is $45 a month. All told I'm paying like $160 a month but I'm cancelling ps Vue once basketball is over since I can live without it until August. So I'll just be rolling with internet, Amazon, Netflix for like not much over $100
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cpt wrote:So with my new house that we will hopefully be moving in next month (still have to sell ours), I would like to get rid of Cox cable and its $300 tv-internet-phone bundle bill. Lose the TV and the land line (I know what took so long) and just go with fast Internet, Netflix, HBOGo and some form of ala carte system like YouTube or Sling or whatever.

CenturyLink internet 40 Mbps $30 need DSL modem
DirecTV Now with AT&T unlimited discount $35 a month with free HBO, 80 channels using Roku boxes and sticks
Ooma box VOIP phone $0 for life. (after buying for around $180)
Netflix $12
Put up an outdoor antenna for locals

Only downside, no PAC-12 Network, but my Bear Down Wildcats brethren hook me up with links for my Chromecast.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
cpt

Post by cpt »

azgreg wrote:

I have COX internet preferred at $83, Sling (blue and orange with the sports add on for $50, Netflix, Amazon prime with Starz add on, and Hulu.
Greg - what does all that cost you?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cpt wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Greg - what does all that cost you?
Netflix is $12 a month now I believe. We got a deal on Starz for $5 a month, and Hulu is $6 a month. Total is about $165 a month.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I currently have Sling Orange with the sports pack for $25, Cox 100 mbps internet for about $90, Hulu for $13, AZPM Pbs access for $5, Amazon for about $9 and my mom has Netflix that I use :lol:

I'm probably cancelling the Sling over the summer because I mostly use it for live sports. Might get HBO through amazon since there's a lot to see on there that I've been meaning to get to.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:I currently have Sling Orange with the sports pack for $25, Cox 100 mbps internet for about $90, Hulu for $13, AZPM Pbs access for $5, Amazon for about $9 and my mom has Netflix that I use :lol:

I'm probably cancelling the Sling over the summer because I mostly use it for live sports. Might get HBO through amazon since there's a lot to see on there that I've been meaning to get to.
For those who have cord cut, how many Arizona basketball/football games have you been able to get this season?

Live sports has been the only reason I haven’t yet made the jump. But it’s not like Espn shows any of our games anyway except one or two a season.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Anything on ESPN, PAC 12 or regular CBS or Fox I was able to get this year with that combo. For anything on FS1 I had to borrow my dad's log in for his Dish account and use the Fox Sports app on my roku.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How do you get pac12 network and local channels?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:How do you get pac12 network and local channels?

Links posted here for PAC-12 and an outdoor antenna for locals.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

All of them using the basic SlingTV with the Sports Package (ESPN and PAC-12), total $25, with the exceptions of FS1 and that one game on the CBS Sports Channel.

FS1 used free one week trials of Hulu, DTV and Fubo using 2 different emails, others Cricfree or other streaming sites and casted it to my TV

Local channels actually come in better using an OTA antenna, true HD instead of the compressed HD you get on cable and satellite.

Note I will cancel SlingTV once UA loses its next game, and start it up again first football game.
Last edited by Merkin on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:How do you get pac12 network and local channels?
sling has pac 12. antenna for local.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nice!

Thanks dude!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin wrote:All of them using the basic SlingTV with the Sports Package (ESPN and PAC-12), total $25, with the exceptions of FS1 and that one game on the CBS Sports Channel.

FS1 used free one week trials of Hulu, DTV and Fubo using 2 different emails, others Cricfree or other streaming sites and casted it to my TV

Local channels actually come in better using an OTA antenna, true HD instead of the compressed HD you get on cable and satellite.

Note I will cancel SlingTV once UA loses its next game, and start it up again first football game.
yup this is what i'm doing
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

1 thing I did that I don't see mentioned, I bought a tivo for $200. My wife mostly watches tv shows from local channels or Netflix. I bought an OTA indoor antenna and then hooked it up to the tivo. This gives us a nice gui and she can watch her shows whenever she wants. Win-win for me as you got to keep the wife happy!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:All of them using the basic SlingTV with the Sports Package (ESPN and PAC-12), total $25, with the exceptions of FS1 and that one game on the CBS Sports Channel.

I just realized I have no idea what channels are on SlingTV outside of ESPN and PAC-12.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:

I just realized I have no idea what channels are on SlingTV outside of ESPN and PAC-12.
rarely i use sling because they have free trials of hbo/showtime/cinemax for movies etc. sometimes i'll find a random movie on like tnt/tbs/ifc to watch. otherwise i just use it occasionally for food network or travel channel shows.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What about hgtv? I do have a soft spot for house hunters international
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:What about hgtv? I do have a soft spot for house hunters international
Ah yes forgot that. Definitely use it for HGTV haha
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azgreg wrote:

Comcast internet ($75), Roku with Sling ($45), Netflix ($12) and Hulu ($13). I'll eventually convince my wife that we do not need Netflix, as we rarely use it. I bought a $35 antenna to pick up the local channels in HD.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Realized this morning that I hadn't got an antenna yet for CBS tonight. Went down to Fry's Electronics and picked up a Mohu Leaf HDTV antenna. Hooked it up and did a scan and the damn thing picked up over 70 channels. Only watched CBS so far but the picture is perfect.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:Realized this morning that I hadn't got an antenna yet for CBS tonight. Went down to Fry's Electronics and picked up a Mohu Leaf HDTV antenna. Hooked it up and did a scan and the damn thing picked up over 70 channels. Only watched CBS so far but the picture is perfect.
I've been using the Mohu Leaf for over a year and I can concur that it is awesome and does what you expect it to.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Realized this morning that I hadn't got an antenna yet for CBS tonight. Went down to Fry's Electronics and picked up a Mohu Leaf HDTV antenna. Hooked it up and did a scan and the damn thing picked up over 70 channels. Only watched CBS so far but the picture is perfect.
I've been using the Mohu Leaf for over a year and I can concur that it is awesome and does what you expect it to.
Can you imagine showing this antenna to your dad 30 years ago and try to explain to him what it is?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In the late 1970's my folks lived in Poughkeepsie NY, about 90-100 miles from NYC. Using a rotational antenna on top of the roof of their 2 story house on a hill, they could get all the NYC stations.

I thought that was really cool at the time. My southern NY is flat, and analog signals bend, while digital signals do not. You need LOS (line of sight) to get digital signals.

I live in Northern Santa Barbara county, about 40 miles from San Luis Obispo, and 60 miles from Santa Barbara. I can get the SLO station pretty well, but Santa Barbara is really hard to pick up due to the mountains.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azgreg wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Can you imagine showing this antenna to your dad 30 years ago and try to explain to him what it is?
Wow, greg! Where do you live that you can get so many channels? Is your Mohu on your roof?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder if a lot of those are from Mexico, the X channels. My son in San Diego gets very few US channels OTA, at least English language ones, and most the channels are X something from Mexico.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

catgrad97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Wow, greg! Where do you live that you can get so many channels? Is your Mohu on your roof?
Right behind the TV. I haven't tried all of them, I'm just going on what it said while it was going through the scan.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I am in rural AZ in the signal shadow of Mingus Mtn., and I couldn't get squat on a Mohu Leaf even if I climbed to the roof of my two-story house and waved it over my head.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Have you tried https://nocable.org/current-location" target="_blank to find out where to point the antenna?

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:Have you tried https://nocable.org/current-location" target="_blank to find out where to point the antenna?

Yep. I can supposedly get two chsnnels.

Mohu Leaf never could find either of them. Crossing my fingers for YouTube TV in my area ASAP.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DirectTV lost CBS intermittently today in the Chicago area. Lots of pissed off Purdue, Butler, and Michigan State fans.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Most of the channels I get with the Antenna are shopping. Hispanic, religious, and weather channels.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I have been looking at this very closely. I am lucky in that I qualified for affordable internet in Maine. I received a benefit of $30/month, even though I don't qualify or sent in an application. ??? A gift horse in the mouth. I'm not going to question it. I've been screwed over enough times, I figure this is helping even the curve.

I do not want to start a TV subscription with Spectrum, a part of Charter (Maine's equivalent to Cox or Comcast). $20 charge just to get the broadcast rights to local channels. Really Spectrum? I could get the new customer special of $49. Then add $20 to receive the local networks. I need to get a special sports add-on for the Pac-12 networks. God forbid that Spectrum guards closely their pricing structure. I would add $10, give or take a few bucks, to add on the channel I need. Of course their is the rental of the equipment, and add DVR. I would be surprised if this package for TV is under $100. I don't want to find out. These monopoly networks will work with you to keep your service. You have to start dealing with them. They will send you to their special "retention department". If you don't like what they say the first time. Hang up, and call a couple more times. You might find someone who can find you a better deal.

Give me a deal for the year that will compete with alternative services or forgot about my business. That is my motto. There are viable alternatives, albeit can be a little expensive. But no hidden costs, and you know what you are getting. Of course, it isn't that easy. Dropped connection is important. Streaming services will drop their connection more than COAX TV. Streaming services totally depend on the Internet working correctly. COAX TV from the major providers does not. Spectrum, Cox, Comcast should be more reliable. They aren't run on the same frequency is the internet.

This all being said I will take my chances. I can go on a little about the other major streaming services (Hulu, YouTube, DirecTV, but the most important goal is to be able to watch all the UA games this season. I would love to hear other options. And I will try to point out the exceptions. I'm sure that list can be longer. I work second shift so won't see live games during the week (maybe the last 1/2 hour of 9 pm start games).

Other than Cox, Comcast, etc... There are only 2 streaming services I would consider. Sling and FuboTV.

I think Sling is definitely the better choice for Cost. Unfortunately, I can't receive a single channel on my amplified local TV antenna. That can make a difference. If you live in the Tucson area, I don't believe you will have any problems receiving all the Tucson channels. If you live in Tucson and want to cut the cord. Sling and HD amplified antenna is the best option. For all games through the NCAA tourney, $65/month (Orange, Blue, Sports add-on). I asked this question before.

Do regional PAC 12 channels show up in Sling?

The reason I asked this question is because I live in the East Coast. My presumption is I can watch Fox Sports Arizona live if I wasn't working. But can I record the game? Can I be able to play back the whole game? If these channels were included with the Sling package, to where I can record the game. That would make all the difference in the world.

For many people I believe Sling is the correct choice. If you have available methods to watch the game without the need to record I would get Sling, no question.

For me, it has to be FuboTV. It is expensive, $82/month is the minimum for watching all the Cats games (basic plan and sports add-on). However, I don't have to be present for any game. It can be recorded. I am concerned about regional games. I don't want to see UConn's football team play. I guess that is yet to be seen. I believe I will get to see the SDSU game. All Pac-12 network games are included. ZonaFutbol is included, and that is the tv for the Champions League in Europe.

FuboTV looks really cool for the sports year (Sept - Apr). But, it's reception can be better. It is average to below average. It doesn't include Warner Media, meaning CNN, TNT, TBS, TruTV. That means in March FuboTV people need to pony up Sling, or any other service that includes Warmer Media channels. And that is exactly what I intend to do.

FuboTV for me. I live on the east coast and to me it is the best option.

If you can afford Cox, Comcast, etc go for it. It will be the most reliable. But, if cost is a concern I see Sling and FuboTV the only options.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:44 pm
Do regional PAC 12 channels show up in Sling?
Yes, I can get all the PAC-12 regional (along with the ESPN channels) with this package which I turn on when UA FB starts and ends with the last BB loss of the season:

Your service: Sling Orange, 1 Stream, Sports Extra

Don't get the FSN1 and 2 stations nor CBS Sports.

Lots of DVR minutes, not sure how much
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

As I'm researching the options a little more. I didn't realize Sling added NBC and FOX. And, CBS is available with a premium subscription to Paramount+. I don't see any way to get ABC.

I figure the Paramount sub will come and go defending on the schedule. I might play around with Orange and Blue too according to the schedule. VPN is a must to receive regional programming on local channels.

Sling is definitely the least expensive TV option. But, Fubo is enticing too. Their elite plan includes 4K for live events, $92/month when considering the addons needed to see all UA games. For soccer Fubo blows Sling away. They have a ton of Bein and TUDN channels. Plus Zonafutbol. I find it hilarious that Sling is trying to say they have the best coverage for European soccer. But you have to add Peacock and Paramount+. Both are independent streams. If you like cycling and rugby Fubo is definitely your choice. Fubo is great for worldwide sports. But, not having Warner Media channels (TNT, TBS, TruTV) is a big minus. If you like baseball, the playoff games on TBS you can forget about.

I will subscribe to Paramount+ for the first game against SDSU (I believe the Cats will cover). The next two games are on FS1. So Sling blue might be the best option, at least to start the football season. With the add-on channels on Sling, I'm figuring that may cover all football season because the Cats should be on Pac-12 Network most of the time, and Fox the rest of the time.

When basketball season starts, it's time to reassess.

The bigger question is: why is it I'm always more focused on threads that no one cares about?
Last edited by Catintheheat on Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Wait a minute, I care about this thread a lot. You have saved me a lot of research, thank you. Does the Paramount + free trial include their premium service (so I can watch the SDSU game gratis)? Keep up the good work. I'm initially interested in UA football only, so for that, it looks like: Paramount + for the SDSU game, then Sling (FS1 and PAC12 Network) for the remainder of them. Right?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

If you need the pac-12 network, get an VPN and stream the free pac-12 network International stream. You can’t get the regional network stream though
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Frybry02 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:09 pm If you need the pac-12 network, get an VPN and stream the free pac-12 network International stream. You can’t get the regional network stream though
I dont speak this language. What is a VPN?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:37 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:09 pm If you need the pac-12 network, get an VPN and stream the free pac-12 network International stream. You can’t get the regional network stream though
A VPN masks your IP address.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

azgreg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 pm
Thanks. Wouldnt have the slightest how to do that.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:40 pm
azgreg wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 pm
Thanks. Wouldnt have the slightest how to do that.
There are vpn companies that provide the service. I use Surfshark but there are dozens of companies to choose from
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Super easy to use. And I haven’t had any issues. I use IPVanish
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In this context they just route your IP address to a server in a foreign country.

My daughter is in Japan with her Navy hubbie and they have a VPN so they can watch US shows. Their VPN just routes their IP address in Japan to a server in the US. A lot of foreign students in the US do the same thing back home to watch their shows.

Like Greg said above, VPNs mask your IP address. If you want to download movies from torrent, and not get caught by your ISP you use VPN.

VPNs are also used to connect to remote servers. They were used extensively during the pandemic as workers were sent home to work, like I was. The data we transferred was very critical and could not be compromised.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. I use NordVPN. There are 2 main uses for VPN. Like what is mentioned earlier, you can change the IP address of your location where the VPN has set up servers using a local IP address according to the location of the server. For example, I set my IP Address to Phoenix. But I can set my location anywhere.

The second use of a VPN masks your present location when you are file sharing (bittorrent). You would download files (mostly illegal). Think of Napster.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I picked up Sling for the Cats games. Sling's deal is half price for the first month. I don't believe they have a free trial. Fubo has a one week free trial, which I used for the SDSU game.

I like Fubo a lot better, but it sure has its problems. For one Fubo has local TV, although it costs $10 extra/month. Second, they have far more channels, and I like the way they set up their guide much better than Sling. They have 1000 hours DVR time allocated. Sling has 50 hours. Fubo also has many more archived shows than Sling. And this goes for the 100s of channels they offer. They will show every single UA game for football and basketball.

Fubo has connection issues and can lose its connection easily for a few seconds at a time. Although it isn't terrible. Sling is much better. Haven't lost a connection yet. And the cost is much higher for Fubo than Sling. The lowest cost is $90/month when you add on the sports package (has all Pac-12 networks). For $100, you can get a lot of live sporting events in 4k. I know the SEC games are in 4k. However, Fubo does not have any of the Charter channels (TNT, TBS, TruTV). For the NCAA tourney you would have to find another way to watch. Sling will cost $65/month when you get Orange/Blue/sports add-on. And it is possible to miss a Cats game if it is on a local channel. Sling does have a couple local channels in Fox and NBC, but you have to live in the city it covers. I thought I might be able to get those channels in Maine from Boston, but no. Most of my local channels are in Portland, so I don't have Fox or NBC. I don't believe you can get Fox and NBC in Tucson, maybe if you live in Phoenix.

If you can afford the cost of the cord, that would be the luxury option. 4k for all events that use 4k. The service in my area is Spectrum, that has a $50 intro price. That is deceiving (of course). Local channels are going to cost an added $22/month. Then there is the add-on sports channels I need for the Pac-12 networks. the rent of the receiver and use of the DVR service. That will end up around $100/month. And that is the sale price. $125 regular price. I don't know what the price would be for Cox, but I am sure it is similar.

If you are looking for getting specific channels, like FS1 to see current games. I would use any free trial that is available. If you want almost all games for the best price, Sling is the answer. I would say Fubo is the mid-tier choice, but it does have the glaring weakness having only CBS for the NCAA tourney. Or maybe find a deal with Cox for a limited channel selection, that includes Turner channels. I think it would cost about $20/month for Turner channels with my cord provider. The Cadillac plan is the CATV provider (if Pac-12 network channels are available). That would be the best option if money isn't an issue.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One minor issue with Fubo me is that the free Xfinity Flex box does not support it. No big deal, since it does Plex poorly, and need to use my Nvidia Shield for that, so will just use my Shield for Fubo too, at least for the one game.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

I have Sling in Oro Valley and you're correct, I can't get the Phoenix local channels.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gouacats wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:50 am I have Sling in Oro Valley and you're correct, I can't get the Phoenix local channels.
I don't think any streaming service lets you get out of town locals. It's probably not legal.
-JB