The Best Dog I Ever Knew

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: The Best Dog I Ever Knew

Post by dovecanyoncat »

LH, your in-laws' dog is a young dog with a harsh past, I'm guessing, and it has no idea how to interact with a young human. A joyful exuberant human child might possibly freak it out, but the potential consequences of that have no business being mitigated by your in-laws' relationship with the dog.

As the saying goes (to other adults): "I don't base my relationships with people on how they treat you, that would be your mother's job." I don't care what the temperature at the airport is, I wanna know what's up where I live. I don't have kids, but I know for a fact you're doing the right thing, and the dog is just one of the problems you have on your plate.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks for your

-ness!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My uncle once adopted a very skittish shelter dog. It had been abused and had a case of mange that still had the skin healing and tender. Her first 6 months she cowered if you reached for her, she subtly growled if you touched her, and flipped out if you touched her neck or her back.

After 6 months she was incredibly sweet.

That said, I’ve been bit 4x by dogs, including on the face when I was 4, and I understand. You are not unreasonable to request the dog be put in the bedroom. Human Children should be the priority.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:54 am I’ve been bit 4x by dogs
I Don't blame them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMark must be delicious.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks to JMark and all.

So if I start fostering, is there vetting process that places kid-friendly foster dogs in my small-child home?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Usually the shelter will tell you if they don’t think the dog would be good around young children or other pets. Not sure how they know that definitively but they usually call that out in the description.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My son fostered cats from the humane society and he had to take some classes first before he was approved to bring them home.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:48 am JMark must be delicious.
Must taste like bacon.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Most of my dog bites have been the simple rule of not aggressively or quickly reaching for unfamiliar/older dogs. I definitely learned my lesson from snuggling with a dogs face near mine when a Chow left me with a facial scar 1 inch from my left eye at age 4. All the others have been because I taste like bacon. Haha
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

A cat would have merely slept on its owner's head until death, and then started eating.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Again, great story but when I open this thread I always think the worst...

Can we stop doing that please??!!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

We lost our Milo last night. He was a Great Dane/lab mix and was almost 12. I had Milo since I bought my house. Milo helped turn it into a home. Then my future wife moved in and the last four years he has been the greatest dog to my son that I could have asked for. My son lost his best friend.
I was a wreck last night. I couldn’t sleep and it was eerily quiet in the house. Milo was such a loud sleeper and I never thought I would miss that.

The most difficult parts today were definitely my son waking up and asking when is Milo coming home…
And coming home to an empty house expecting a big muzzle to push through the garage door when I opened it. That’s the one constant I have always known returning home.

We don’t deserve dogs and my family definitely didn’t deserve Milo.
(Please tell me these days get easier.)
Last edited by Frybry02 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

12 is way too young.

I still remember all our dogs my whole 63 years, and never get over them.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Very sorry for your loss. Sounds like a wonderful dog and part of the family.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Oh, man. I'm so sorry Frybry.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dammit. A terrible bump. I'm so sorry. He looks like such a good boy.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:16 pm 12 is way too young.

I still remember all our dogs my whole 63 years, and never get over them.
I am shocked how fast he deteriorated in 3 weeks. Kidneys and liver shut down. Gone too soon for sure. But being 12 for a big dog was definitely starting to wear on his mobility even before his major health issues.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:25 pm Dammit. A terrible bump. I'm so sorry. He looks like such a good boy.
The 2nd picture is him as an 8 month old puppy. He was already 110 pounds and I remember him being a freight train! The best part of Milo is he thought he was a lap dog. He didn’t care, he was crawling in your lap and there was nothing you could do about it.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My sincere condolences Frybry. Our dog Autumn is 11 and we keep asking her "you are going to live forever, right?" because we just can't imagine being without her.

It's a kick in the nuts you never truly get over.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Only a dog person can understand this kind of loss. So sorry about Milo. Dogs truly are a gift from God.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Frybry02 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:30 pm
scumdevils86 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:25 pm Dammit. A terrible bump. I'm so sorry. He looks like such a good boy.
The 2nd picture is him as an 8 month old puppy. He was already 110 pounds and I remember him being a freight train! The best part of Milo is he thought he was a lap dog. He didn’t care, he was crawling in your lap and there was nothing you could do about it.
I covet the dreams I have about my childhood dog. They are versions of what you describe here, where a unique person who just happens to be a dog, makes and enduring and indelible impression on your lives. I wish you peace.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Didn’t want to open this thread last night.

Now it’s morning and I’m shedding a tear for the family of a VERY good boy. It is just totally unfair that dogs don’t live as long as we do.

RIP Milo.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

God, I had to come back to this thread even though it's so sad. I just hugged my dog and told her I love her and to think of Milo today.

RIP Milo - your unconditional love for Frybry and his family will truly be missed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry for your loss Fry.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My dog is still alive and still the best dog I’ve ever known.

But he was attacked this morning by another dog. A German Shepard who yanked the leash out of her owner’s hands and was hellbent on killing my sweet baby boy.

I am shook up to say the least. My dog is ok physically but I feel like he’s traumatized. This is the fourth time he’s been attacked by another dog. He’s never shown any aggression and in every instance he’s only tried to get away. But I feel like each instance has scarred him.

I don’t know what to do for him. I’m just as powerless to help him heal as I was to keep that fucking rabid bitch from trying to kill him. He’s my sweet baby boy and I failed to protect him.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

That is terrible. The dog I have now was one I got age 10. She had been passed around for many years. I think she had to fight for place or survival at a few places because she’s not good with any other dogs, and I think she was yelled at a lot because she cowers and flees anytime a voice is raised, for any reason.

Those memories definitely linger. Hoping your dog can shake them off.

BTW, due to my dog not liking other dogs, I have never taken her to mixed-dog settings. Owners need to be responsible for that type of stuff. Dogs biting is as much the human-created situation as it is the dog.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm glad he isn't physically hurt, but this is really awful.

And I'm pissed at the owner. She must know that her own dog has aggression issues. So, in what world does she not have the leash secured to her own arm?

We have tons of people who come to our neighborhood park with their dogs off leash altogether. When they attack my dog, I have to keep him secured and get him away as he yanks to protect himself. There's no way for him to get off leash from my arm.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The dog’s owner was coming out of his house with her as I was walking by. He turned to close his door behind them and when she saw my dog she took off and ripped the leash out of his hand. I don’t really blame him outside of the fact that he needed to come out first, establish there was no one walking their dog in the vicinity, and then bring his dog out securely. Or, really, he needs to have a fenced backyard and only let her out there. According to him, she doesn’t like other dogs since being attacked herself 6 years ago but hadn’t actually attacked any like this until this morning.

I more blame myself for not letting my dog go and either tackling the attacking dog, kicking it in the head, or something. But by the time you realize the other dog doesn’t want to play and wants to kill your dog, it’s too late. I still feel like I should have done something, even if it meant I got bit myself. I hate that I couldn’t protect him. It’s as if I watched my child get beaten up by another kid and did nothing beyond yelling hey stop.

:cry:
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

That's awful, Chi. My dog is extremely dog aggressive and I am pretty hypersensitive about making sure there are no dogs within snapping distance when we go outside. She's also a lot smaller than a German Shepard and can't get away from me. There are precautions one must take to protect other pups when yours isn't good with other dogs.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Despite the best attempts to send our dear Rowdy out on good terms, on our schedule, life stepped in.

Today, July 1st, Rowdy turned 15.

This last week has been hard. I had to have the talk with the family and niece and nephew especially.

We wanted to send her off with a T-Bone Birthday steak on Sunday and a pool day where her family was around her and loving her before bringing her in next week.

But this morning her hips gave out. She couldn’t walk. Partially blind, and a likely sufferer of a seizure last week, she could do nothing but struggling to move.

So, I picked her up and placed her in a beach wagon, and loved her as we could, taking her to an unscheduled and infitting end-care consultation.

But, Rowdy, you’re better now. Able to skip and pounce. A few months back you shocked the hell out of me, killing a bird like you did as a pup! I hoped it was a sign we had more time. But I could tell things were hard. I tried to spoil you good - new bed, real food, lots of snacks… but the heat was hard. Age was harder still.

But now, you have no more pain or struggles.

I will miss your neediness. How you would stare me down to let me know it was time for pets or cuddles. How you tried to get the zoomies these last few weeks, but couldn’t muster it without being riled up with pets and pats and hand claps!

You once ate a box of glass Christmas ornaments as a puppy, but settled in to the perfect dog.

So, thank you. Be happy and be free.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Sad for your loss JMJ. I will raise a glass tonight in Rowdy's honor knowing she gave you and your family a lot of joy and happiness as well as a nod that she's also in a better place free and clear of any pain.

While doing this I will also hug and pat my dog Autumn, who is about to turn 12, and tell her how special dogs are to their owners.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

JMarkJohns wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:41 pm Despite the best attempts to send our dear Rowdy out on good terms, on our schedule, life stepped in.

Today, July 1st, Rowdy turned 15.

This last week has been hard. I had to have the talk with the family and niece and nephew especially.

We wanted to send her off with a T-Bone Birthday steak on Sunday and a pool day where her family was around her and loving her before bringing her in next week.

But this morning her hips gave out. She couldn’t walk. Partially blind, and a likely sufferer of a seizure last week, she could do nothing but struggling to move.

So, I picked her up and placed her in a beach wagon, and loved her as we could, taking her to an unscheduled and infitting end-care consultation.

But, Rowdy, you’re better now. Able to skip and pounce. A few months back you shocked the hell out of me, killing a bird like you did as a pup! I hoped it was a sign we had more time. But I could tell things were hard. I tried to spoil you good - new bed, real food, lots of snacks… but the heat was hard. Age was harder still.

But now, you have no more pain or struggles.

I will miss your neediness. How you would stare me down to let me know it was time for pets or cuddles. How you tried to get the zoomies these last few weeks, but couldn’t muster it without being riled up with pets and pats and hand claps!

You once ate a box of glass Christmas ornaments as a puppy, but settled in to the perfect dog.

So, thank you. Be happy and be free.
So sorry for your loss. I’m sure there are some great memories to hang on to during those 15 years you were able to share together.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm so sorry JMJ
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry to hear J.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Sleep and dream of your old friend.

~ Wilhoit's Law
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Having Covid for 2 weeks and staying away and clearing quarantine of 10 days just yesterday was a really shitty way to say goodbye. Wore gloves petting her. Didn’t face nuzzle her at all. Really tried to keep distance since I didn’t want anything contagious to take her.

She deserved more hugs and love these last days.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Here's to Rowdy. And all great dogs.
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Thank you, everyone. It’s been a weird few days since.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

15 and 1/2 years ago I picked out a heeler beagle mix from a litter my cousins dog had. Named her Mule, my girlfriend made me rename her Roxy, and now, it's time. It is so hard to take her to vet for the last time, but harder to see her struggle every day to poop, and climb stairs, and get up, and lose all her weight, and hear her wheeze.

Best dog I ever had.

Out lived her closest sibling by 5 years. Thankfully it's only been the last month that things have really turned rough for her.

"Fare thee well, fare thee well, I love you more than words can tell.

Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

-Robert Hunter-
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Definitely sorry to hear. Let your heart heal, then find that new friend soon.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

15 1/2 years is a long life for a dog but it’s still way too short

Thoughts are with you and your pup
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My turn to join this dreadful thread. Our Zany, 10, had to be put down this morning. We were inconsolable all morning but a bit happier knowing she is at rest.

She was struggling breathing and couldn’t lay down any longer due to an enlarged heart. That did all they could but it happened so fast over the last 6 months. It’s a rainy day here and just meshes with how we feel
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Sorry to hear. Dogs are perfect.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry for your lose brother.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

All dogs go to heaven. Just like Zany.