Another plane crash

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Another plane crash

Post by Chicat »

This time it's an Air Algerie flight with 110 passengers on board. Hasn't been reported as crashed yet, but it disappeared from radar and French military aircraft are searching for a crash site in northern Mali.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
77HoyaCat4Ever

Re: Another plane crash

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Supposedly crashed in Mali
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Mali is not a place I'd want to be stranded if I survived a crash
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Was going from Burkina Faso to Algiers. Supposedly half the people on board were French citizens.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Contact with the Air Algerie flight was lost over the Sahara as it crossed Mali in bad weather, officials said.

More bad weather?

No doubt the US is using their HAARP machine to shoot down Muslim airliners.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Isn't it somebody's job to check the weather report?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Apparently smoldering wreckage has been found in Mali like 30 miles from.tje Burkina faso border

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Speculation is now turning to the possibility that this plane was shot down as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... crash.html

The wreckage was found in an area that an Al Qaeda affiliated group controls and there was a warning from the FAA to American-based air carriers to avoid the airspace over Mali.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

oh god...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

French officials have dispatched a military unit to the crash site of an Air Algerie jet that crashed in Mali carrying 116 people after vanishing from radar shortly after takeoff late Wednesday night.

Unless they were invited, pretty presumptuous of the French to send a military team to an independent country, especially one which was a former colony. Don't think Mali is all the friendly with France, along with Algeria.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:French officials have dispatched a military unit to the crash site of an Air Algerie jet that crashed in Mali carrying 116 people after vanishing from radar shortly after takeoff late Wednesday night.

Unless they were invited, pretty presumptuous of the French to send a military team to an independent country, especially one which was a former colony. Don't think Mali is all the friendly with France, along with Algeria.
The French are already there fighting against Al Qaeda in the Magreb (AQIM) and in conjunction with the Mali government and armed forces. Not too long ago they re-took Timbuktu from AQIM in a joint operation.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yea there are already almost thousands of French troops in Mali along with air bases

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

U-R-A-N-I-U-M
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Harrison Ford, you so crazy...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He was so Han Solo about the whole thing.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Russian passenger jet crashes in the Sinai. Looks like no survivors. :(
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Isis claiming responsibility for a shoot down. Fuck.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

But the Egyptians and Russians say there's no evidence of a shoot down and besides at the altitude it was at you need a serious military size surface to air missle launcher, not a shoulder fired weapon.

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:But the Egyptians and Russians say there's no evidence of a shoot down and besides at the altitude it was at you need a serious military size surface to air missle launcher, not a shoulder fired weapon.
I agree with you that Isis' claim feels pretty dubious considering what has been put out so far.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ISIS is also claiming responsibility for canceling Arrested Development.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ISIS also claimed responsibility for unleashing Zima on the world.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The fact that there was no SOS signal gives the ISIS claim some credibility.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

84Cat wrote:The fact that there was no SOS signal gives the ISIS claim some credibility.
Ok quick question...

If I shoot out a tweet right now saying I shot the airliner down, would the fact the plane gave no SOS signal give my claim some credibility?

Eventually some evidence might come out, but the statement by the Egyptian air authorities and Russia seeing the initial evidence and almost immediately opening a criminal probe into the airline's activities seem to auger a different direction than terrorism.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You'd think the Russians would be the first to claim terrorism and retroactively justify their recent Syrian bombings.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I see what you're saying sc. No one appears to know what happened at this time and unless ISIS has new weapons, the plane was too high for them to shoot it down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The plane requested an emergency landing and there are reports of some crew members noting a problem with one of the engines. The Egyptian civil aviation ministry said the plane was at an altitude of 31,000 feet when it disappeared off the radar right after it reportedly began descending at a rate of 6,000 feet per minute, according to the New York Times.

Crash site:

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

84Cat wrote:No one appears to know what happened at this time and unless ISIS has new weapons, the plane was too high for them to shoot it down.
Exactly. You're talking about some pretty high level equipment there that they have to 1) procure, 2) some how move the heavy equipment to Sinai, 3) keep the heavy equipment hidden from the Egyptian government that monitors that area pretty heavily and then 4) successfully operate it.

Much more likely (by probably a factor of ten or more) is the Russian pilot and Russian maintenance crew on the ground were all plastered.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Anecdotal, but possibly telling.
The wife of the co-pilot of the Russian plane that crashed in Egypt says her husband had complained about the plane's condition, according to a Russian TV channel.

State-controlled NTV ran an interview Saturday with Natalya Trukhacheva, identified as the wife of co-pilot Sergei Trukachev. She said that a daughter "called him up before he flew out. He complained before the flight that the technical condition of the aircraft left much to be desired."

An Egyptian official had previously said that before the plane lost contact with air traffic controllers the pilot had radioed and said the aircraft was experiencing technical problems and that he intended to try and land at the nearest airport.
http://news.yahoo.com/latest-egypt-conf ... 07935.html" target="_blank
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

This seems to be a pretty good article summing up where we are.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... rticles%29" target="_blank

The author says it's clear the plane broke up in the air. I don't particularly see where in the article the author refutes the possibility that it might be a bomb inside the plane, but apparently from the evidence he's seen he seems to imply this is basically impossible. Apparently the plane just broke up in mid air, with the tail section severing right off.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If it happened mid air there has to be some reason. I don't care how bad Russian maintenance is but plane tails don't just sever, especially on a newer well built plane like an Airbus a321.

legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ASUHATER! wrote:If it happened mid air there has to be some reason. I don't care how bad Russian maintenance is but plane tails don't just sever, especially on a newer well built plane like an Airbus a321.
Would not be the first time the tail of a plane that had a previous tailscrape came off in flight.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Source on the tail scrape?

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Isn't that what doomed the Air France flight over Brazil a few years back?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Source on the tail scrape?
"Heavy tail strike landing in 2001" from the article, causing serious damage to rear fuselage
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:Isn't that what doomed the Air France flight over Brazil a few years back?
Nope, that one was weather causing the air data sensors to freeze over, so the autopilot crapped out. Idiot mid-flight relief pilot then stalled the plane when it reverted to manual flight control.

JAL 123 and China Air 611 are the two well-known crashes resulting from improperly repaired tailstrike damage. Both occurred a number of years after the original repair.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

legallykenny wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Isn't that what doomed the Air France flight over Brazil a few years back?
Nope, that one was weather causing the air data sensors to freeze over, so the autopilot crapped out. Idiot mid-flight relief pilot then stalled the plane when it reverted to manual flight control.
That's right. I read an article in the Atlantic on that crash a while back that was completely hair raising.

I need to look up what took down the Alaska airlines flight off San Diego around 2001.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
That's right. I read an article in the Atlantic on that crash a while back that was completely hair raising.

I need to look up what took down the Alaska airlines flight off San Diego around 2001.
In addition to the probable cause, the NTSB found the following contributing factors:[9]

Alaska Airlines' extension of its lubrication interval for its McDonnell Douglas MD-80 horizontal stabilizer components, and the FAA's approval of that extension, the last of which was based on McDonnell Douglas's extension of the recommended lubrication interval increased the likelihood that a missed or inadequate lubrication would result in excessive wear of jackscrew assembly acme nut threads and, therefore, was a direct cause of the excessive wear and contributed to the Alaska Airlines Flight 261 accident.
Alaska Airlines's extended end play check interval and the FAA's approval of that extension, which allowed the excessive wear of the acme nut threads to progress to failure without the opportunity for detection
The absence on the McDonnell Douglas MD-80 of a fail-safe mechanism to prevent the catastrophic effects of total acme nut loss

During the course of the investigation, and later in its final report, the NTSB issued 24 safety recommendations, covering maintenance, regulatory oversight, and aircraft design issues. More than half of these were directly related to jackscrew lubrication and end play measurement.[9] Also included was a recommendation that pilots were to be instructed that in the event of a flight control system malfunction they should not attempt corrective procedures beyond those specified in the checklist procedures, and in particular in the event of a horizontal stabilizer trim control system malfunction the primary and alternate trim motors should not be activated, and if unable to correct the problem through the checklists they should land at the nearest suitable airport.[9]

In NTSB board member John J. Goglia's statement for the final report, which was concurred with by the other three board members,[9] he wrote:

"This is a maintenance accident. Alaska Airlines' maintenance and inspection of its horizontal stabilizer activation system was poorly conceived and woefully executed. The failure was compounded by poor oversight...Had any of the managers, mechanics, inspectors, supervisors or FAA overseers whose job it was to protect this mechanism done their job conscientiously, this accident cannot happen...NTSB has made several specific maintenance recommendations, some already accomplished, that will, if followed, prevent the recurrence of this particular accident. But maintenance, poorly done, will find a way to bite somewhere else."[9]
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/africa/ru ... ypt-sinai/" target="_blank
(CNN)New information suggests a midair flash -- possibly an explosion -- was detected on Metrojet Flight 9268 before it crashed in Egypt's Sinai peninsula, a U.S. official said Tuesday.

A midair heat flash from the Russian airliner was detected by a U.S. military satellite before the plane crashed Saturday, the official told CNN.

Intelligence analysis has ruled out that the Russian commercial airplane was struck by a missile, but the new information suggests that there was a catastrophic in-flight event -- including possibly a bomb, though experts are considering other explanations, according to U.S. officials.

There are a wide range of theories on what made the passenger jet plunge to the ground, killing all 224 people on board, but Russian officials say it's too soon to speculate on the cause.

Aviation experts agree, and officials have downplayed an apparent claim by Islamic militants that they brought down the Airbus A321-200, saying technical failure is the most likely reason for the crash.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

So now a cargo plane crashes in South Sudan
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

This is the first time I've heard someone high up in a legitimate government mention this, so we'll see...

UK says bomb may have downed jet
Cairo (AFP) - Britain said Wednesday it was concerned a Russian airliner that crashed in Egypt may have been downed by a bomb, as the Islamic State group insisted it caused the disaster.

London's announcement came as Egyptian officials said investigators probing the black boxes had extracted the data from one for analysis, but the other had been damaged and required a lot of work.

"While the investigation is still ongoing we cannot say categorically why the Russian jet crashed," British Prime Minister David Cameron's office said in a statement.

"But as more information has come to light, we have become concerned that the plane may well have been brought down by an explosive device."
http://news.yahoo.com/britain-says-conc ... 15682.html" target="_blank

It's a little squishy ("concerned...it was downed by a bomb") but still, but governments don't really seem to like to come out and say stuff like that unless they really feel like it's a legit and/or probable type of thing.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

You can juxtapose what Britain is saying against what Egypt is saying...
CAIRO (Reuters) - The cause of a Russian plane crash in Egypt on Saturday is looking more like an explosion but it is not clear whether it was linked to fuel or engine trouble or a bomb, an Egyptian source close to the investigation of the black boxes said on Wednesday.

"It is believed to be an explosion but what kind is not clear. There is an examination of the sand at the crash site to try and determine if it was a bomb," the source told Reuters.

"There are forensic investigations underway at the crash site. That will help determine the cause, to see if traces of explosives are found."
http://news.yahoo.com/cause-russian-pla ... 20095.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thankfully no one was home.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

All 9 passengers dead. 7 were from a Fla. real estate company. The plane clipped clipped utility wires.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What ISIS claims was the bomb.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/paris-attac ... &smtyp=cur" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I heard it was only 2lbs of explosive.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn... :cry:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The last time an Egypt Air crashed, it was a dry run for 9/11.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... 90/302332/" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »